Backspacer or Avocado

13»

Comments

• BrianoBriano Posts: 53
    demetrios wrote:
    Mr Rocko wrote:
    Avocado, there are more songs that I enjoy. Backspacer is great but it doesn't feel like a 100% PJ's style.

I fell the same way. I always felt that Backspacer was a half Vedder & half Pearl Jam record in one. When Ed did solo show's back in '09, playing those new tracks, I didn't know they would end up on the new record. Thought maybe they would be b-sides, rare gem's to Into The Wild. Cause it had that feeling & atmosphere sound to the soundtrack. Avocado was a team played Pearl Jam record. I love it from start to finish. Though at times I would skip Come Back once and a while. *ducks for cover.

I feel exactly the same way. Except for the fell bit :D .

I usually don't pick between PJ albums but in this case the way I feel is that Avocado feels more like an album. Backspacer feels more like an EP.
  • If I was listening to the whole album I'd probably listen to Avocado because all the songs are pretty solid. But if I were to rank all the songs, the top four would all be off of Backspacer. So I don't know what that means.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,533
    Briano wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    Mr Rocko wrote:
    Avocado, there are more songs that I enjoy. Backspacer is great but it doesn't feel like a 100% PJ's style.

I fell the same way. I always felt that Backspacer was a half Vedder & half Pearl Jam record in one. When Ed did solo show's back in '09, playing those new tracks, I didn't know they would end up on the new record. Thought maybe they would be b-sides, rare gem's to Into The Wild. Cause it had that feeling & atmosphere sound to the soundtrack. Avocado was a team played Pearl Jam record. I love it from start to finish. Though at times I would skip Come Back once and a while. *ducks for cover.

I feel exactly the same way. Except for the fell bit :D .

I usually don't pick between PJ albums but in this case the way I feel is that Avocado feels more like an album. Backspacer feels more like an EP.

D'oh! Meant to say feel. :oops:

Kinda does feel like an EP. And with all these interviews on many various websites where Pearl Jam member's said many times that they had tons of new songs written & finished that didn't make the Backspacer cut, I got a feeling there will be a Backspacer 2 release, like System Of A Down's Mezmerize & Hypnotize, both released in 2005, 6 month's apart.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited January 2010
    hmmm tough call.

They are both solid albums and it really does make it hard to decide.

God, this feels just like the No Code and Yeild debate to me. so so hard.

I just don't know.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    [
    b]D'oh! Meant to say feel. :oops:[/b]

Kinda does feel like an EP. And with all these interviews on many various websites where Pearl Jam member's said many times that they had tons of new songs written & finished that didn't make the Backspacer cut, I got a feeling there will be a Backspacer 2 release, like System Of A Down's Mezmerize & Hypnotize, both released in 2005, 6 month's apart.

It's all good dude ;)

Yeah even though it wasn't marketed that way (as in Backspacer 1) I can see a new release within two years. They practically farted this one out it was that quick!

Am gonna listen to all of their 00's albums on shuffle now while in work. Epic!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,830
    Backspacer only cuz it's more recent i do like Avocado too though
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • NOTHING AS IT SEEMS
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    I don't write here often, but gonna put 2 cents in and say I prefer Avocado by a pretty large margin.

1- musically, Avocado is much more interesting to me. To me, Backspacer feels like that lame EV quote during Immagine En Cornice (or however it's spelled): "we play different tempos. some fast. some slow. some in between." (paraphrased of course). There's not much new there...though I still listen to the album all the time. Avocado to me sounded fresh and interesting, especially after I felt that the production on Binaural was lacking and the sound on Riot Act felt like they were bored in the studio (though there's tons interesting on that album too!)

2- lyrically, I kind of felt like save for a few lines, Backspacer just isn't that inspired. While you can say what you like about your feelings for political rants and lyrics, Avocado seemed to have a lyrical urgency that Backspacer lacks.

3- lengthwise, Backspacer is too short. If for nothing else with Pearl Jam, I love the BAND, and I particularly love it when the band breathes a little and gets to jam out without lyrics being attached to every waking moment of the record. Avocado has tons of that, and Backspacer feels more like an EV album because the lack of solos and/or jams makes EV the only star on the album.
  • 1st half of Avocado >>>>> Backspacer >>>>>> 2nd half of Avocado.
    JL19851 wrote:
    I don't write here often, but gonna put 2 cents in and say I prefer Avocado by a pretty large margin.

1- musically, Avocado is much more interesting to me. To me, Backspacer feels like that lame EV quote during Immagine En Cornice (or however it's spelled): "we play different tempos. some fast. some slow. some in between." (paraphrased of course). There's not much new there...though I still listen to the album all the time. Avocado to me sounded fresh and interesting, especially after I felt that the production on Binaural was lacking and the sound on Riot Act felt like they were bored in the studio (though there's tons interesting on that album too!)

2- lyrically, I kind of felt like save for a few lines, Backspacer just isn't that inspired. While you can say what you like about your feelings for political rants and lyrics, Avocado seemed to have a lyrical urgency that Backspacer lacks.

3- lengthwise, Backspacer is too short. If for nothing else with Pearl Jam, I love the BAND, and I particularly love it when the band breathes a little and gets to jam out without lyrics being attached to every waking moment of the record. Avocado has tons of that, and Backspacer feels more like an EV album because the lack of solos and/or jams makes EV the only star on the album.

:shock:

I don't think I've ever agreed with a statement as much as this one!

I like Backspacer. It's PJ 9th studio album and I love all of their albums. I know it's a lighter album than their previous ones but especially with your third point I too feel it is a bit short. It's light and short. I may end up appreciating this when the next album(s) come along (thus it is no longer the new kid) but it doesn't have a levity to it that all the other albums had. Again as I said that could have something to do with it being a lighter album - not weighed in with issues, politics etc.

In Backspacer's favour though I'd rather that if they were in the mood to make an album like this that they did so rather than force an album to sound a certain way for the sake of it.

That's one thing I love about PJ, there is an organic feel to all of their albums - each album feels like a living breathing whole and a document of where the band is there and then.