Backspacer or Avocado

Comments

• EP1973EP1973 Posts: 112
    T-Bone 82 wrote:
    Backspacer...by a lot. And I liked Avocado but I didn't think the sequencing was good and there were too many songs. IMO, the record kind of fell apart after Unemployable
    When it comes to a PJ release, you can never have too many songs. Inside Job and Comeback are both after Unemployable. And IMO, Inside Job is as good as it gets. I like both albums but I like Avocado more.
  • Yield! Oh wait, Ive mistaken this thread for the last good album...
    pearl_jam_binaural_a.jpg
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Backspacer....

...best Pearl Jam record of the '00, IMHO. There. I said it. :)
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Avocado.

Inside Job, Come Back - Enough said.
  • G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
    I prefer Backspacer.
  • Avocado.

Now this guy knows what he's talking about! I'm also a big fan of Gone and Wasted Reprise. About the only thing I don't care for on this album is Big Wave.

Also, no other PJ album comes out blasting with 5 awesome rockers. Go take a look - I'll be here waiting...

See - told ya!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Avocado.

Now this guy knows what he's talking about! I'm also a big fan of Gone and Wasted Reprise. About the only thing I don't care for on this album is Big Wave.

Also, no other PJ album comes out blasting with 5 awesome rockers. Go take a look - I'll be here waiting...

See - told ya!
    +1
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Mr RockoMr Rocko Posts: 647
    Avocado, there are more songs that I enjoy. Backspacer is great but it doesn't feel like a 100% PJ's style.
    México 24/11/2011
  • Avocado.

See - told ya!

I'm a huge fan of Gone, I don't understand why it's been thrown under the bus on here as much as it has. I also like Wasted Reprise a lot. WWS and Life Wasted sounds a lot better live then on the record.

And Army Reserve (for some reason) really stands out on that record, it's unique, and I simply just love it!!!!!!

• And Army Reserve (for some reason) really stands out on that record, it's unique, and I simply just love it!!!!!!
    +1
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Backspacer by a lot. Avocodo is so unfocused. Figure in the production quality and it's not even close.

Though i do love Army Reserve and there are some other nice "ideas" on the record. Poorly executed for PJ standards, however.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • I like Backspacer a lot. It has songs on it that are sure to be
    classics (Amongst the Waves & Unthought Known) in the PJ catalog.

But after listening to it for the past few months it has reminded me
    how great Pearl Jam (avocado) is.

Backspacer is shorter, tighter songs that are strong in bass and drums
    Avocado is strong in guitars. The one thing that Backspacer is missing so
    much of...... GUITARS!!!!!! Needed more guitar solos.
    pearl_jam_binaural_a.jpg

++++++++++1
    Probably The most underrated Pearl Jam album :(
    Binaural has several great songs!
    And for some reason it just doesnt get enough credit.
  • RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    BACKSPACER!
    I simply love that album. :D

Backspacer has already been played much more here in my house than ST i think...
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • I like Backspacer a lot. It has songs on it that are sure to be
    classics (Amongst the Waves & Unthought Known) in the PJ catalog.

But after listening to it for the past few months it has reminded me
    how great Pearl Jam (avocado) is.

Backspacer is shorter, tighter songs that are strong in bass and drums
    Avocado is strong in guitars. The one thing that Backspacer is missing so
    much of...... GUITARS!!!!!! Needed more guitar solos.

Yeah, poor Mike was really underutilized on BACKSPACER

and if you disagree, listen to his playing on Temple of the Dog or watch him tear the stage apart during November Hotel on the Live at the Moore video

Mike was really holding back on this last one...but hey, people grow older and things do change...
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • ckravitzckravitz Posts: 1,668
    Avocado for me. I do like Backspacer quite a bit but agree with a few of the earlier posters that the guitar prominence gives Avocado the nod.

It's funny, a friend and I were having the old rank the Pearl Jam albums discussion the other day and we ended up in the same place you always do when trying to rank them......Once you get down to like 7,8,9 or whatever it just doesn't feel right to have any PJ album as 7,8, or 9 so the conversation always ends with, "whatever, they're all good". :)
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Avocado all the way. Backspacer is not a great record.

+1
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    Backspacer > Avocado.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    Avocado definitely. Backspacer has made me appreciate Avocado more.
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • Backspacer by a country mile. Far stronger melodies for a start.
  • dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    BS definitely - S/T never really did it for me.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Backspacer
  • G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
    Mr Rocko wrote:
    Avocado, there are more songs that I enjoy. Backspacer is great but it doesn't feel like a 100% PJ's style.

This is true. Speed of Sound and honestly Just Breathe don't seem like PJ songs to me. I almost always skip them both. In fact Just Breathe sort of gives me that weird embarrassed feeling when I hear it on the radio representing who Pearl Jam is these days. It's not.
  • I'm a little surprised at the way this thread went. When I first read the subject title I thougt for sure Backspacer would be the resounding winner. Doesn't seem that way.

When Backspacer first came out and I had listened to it a few dozen times, I mentioned, on this site, that I thought songs 1 through 8 were probably the strongest string of songs put back to back on any PJ album to date. And I still feel that way.

Don't get me wrong, Avocado still has a regular turn on my iTunes and is a solid PJ album. Marker in the sand, parachutes, Army reserve and come back are some of my faves. I just think that Backspacer is a stronger album.

I still listen to Backspacer 2-4 times a week.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,483
    Avocado all the way. Backspacer is not a great record...
    ...YET!

It's still too soon to call Backspacer great but I do think it is a really, really good album. I prefer Avocado, but only because I've played the ass off it for the last 3 years and I feel like I know it inside out. I'd probably put Avocado 4th and BS 5th if I ranked all of PJ's albums
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Avocado VS BackSpacer can be broken down as such:

Group #1
    Life Wasted
    World Wide Suicide
    Comatose
    Severed Hand
    vs
    Gonna See My Friend
    Got Some
    The Fixer
    Johnny Guitar

Group #2
    Marker In The Sand
    Unemployable
    Big Wave
    vs
    Amongst The Waves
    Unthought Known
    Supersonic

Group #3
    Parachutes
    Gone
    Wasted Reprise
    Army Reserve
    Come Back
    Inside Job
    vs
    Just Breathe
    Speed of Sound
    Force of Nature
    The End

I honestly think when you stack them up cluster vs cluster they are very very competitive with one another - Avocado just comes out a tad bit ahead

Agree.

Two Words.

Army Reserve

that is all :)
  • Apologies if this has been discussed before (I did a brief search), but do you like Backspacer as much as Avocado?

you first
  • Backspacer. Very different feel instrumentally and lyrically, but the lyrics on Backspacer have more meaning to me right now in my life. Some songs on Avocado I loved on CD, but thought sounded just o.k. live. Love them both though!
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 8/23/09 EV-6//11/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09

It's an inside job today
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,533
    Mr Rocko wrote:

I fell the same way. I always felt that Backspacer was a half Vedder & half Pearl Jam record in one. When Ed did solo show's back in '09, playing those new tracks, I didn't know they would end up on the new record. Thought maybe they would be b-sides, rare gem's to Into The Wild. Cause it had that feeling & atmosphere sound to the soundtrack. Avocado was a team played Pearl Jam record. I love it from start to finish. Though at times I would skip Come Back once and a while. *ducks for cover.