I AM NOW ENGAGED...

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I'm really impressed that guys actually do this!

I've been married 31 years. My husband didn't talk to my dad before we got engaged. We told my parents together on Christmas Eve the year before we married. They acted like it was ho hum news. :roll:

Also, my sister and her husband are VERY traditional and straightlaced, but my brother-in-law didn't speak to my father beforehand either. If anybody I knew was going to do that, it would have been him.

Maybe because it was the 70s and we all thought we were past that kind of stuff. :shifty:

But I also can't believe that guys actually get down on one knee and propose nowadays. :wtf:
    My future husband and I were driving to Baskin-Robbins and he said something about us getting married after I finished grad school and I said OK. :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980

I've been married 31 years. My husband didn't talk to my dad before we got engaged. We told my parents together on Christmas Eve the year before we married. They acted like it was ho hum news. :roll:

Also, my sister and her husband are VERY traditional and straightlaced, but my brother-in-law didn't speak to my father beforehand either. If anybody I knew was going to do that, it would have been him.

Maybe because it was the 70s and we all thought we were past that kind of stuff. :shifty:

But I also can't believe that guys actually get down on one knee and propose nowadays. :wtf:
    My future husband and I were driving to Baskin-Robbins and he said something about us getting married after I finished grad school and I said OK. :lol:

Hehe

For my second proposal, my wife and I were camping, and I actually had the ring in my pocket (was gonna propose in our favorite hidden hot spring later), when my wife started complaining about the fact we had been together for years and still no talk of marriage, blah, blah, blah. I pulled the ring out my pocket and with a big ol' smile said, "This ought to shut you up." Guess it was more of a d.claar-ative statement than it was a question...

True story. I'm a romantic at heart.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    My husband asked my mom 2 weeks before proposing. And he got down on one knee! He said the ring was burning a hole in his pocket the whole time. :lol::lol:
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    eyedclaar wrote:

Hehe

For my second proposal, my wife and I were camping, and I actually had the ring in my pocket (was gonna propose in our favorite hidden hot spring later), when my wife started complaining about the fact we had been together for years and still no talk of marriage, blah, blah, blah. I pulled the ring out my pocket and with a big ol' smile said, "This ought to shut you up." Guess it was more of a d.claar-ative statement than it was a question...

I believe it! That's pretty funny.

I really think it's kind of a generational thing or that maybe these things go in cycles. My oldest nephew got married about 3 years ago and he went the completely traditional route, talking to her dad beforehand and then getting down on one knee to propose.

If my husband had gotten down on one knee and asked me, I'd have thought he was joking! Mean it! :lol:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    eyedclaar wrote:

Hehe

awesome!
    :mrgreen:

i had an entirely romantic proposal, but i did know it was coming, just not the when/where. we went ring shopping together a couple months earlier.

i am actually surprised how many still follow the traditional route in asking for 'permission' from the father. for me personally, i think it's an antiquated custom that i disagree with, tho i realize many just see it as being 'traditional'.....so yea. not for me, at all....my husband did not do so and my father was certainly not slighted, he loved my husband/then BF. tho i guess i did have the full traditional wedding (tho my mother 'gave me away' as my father passed away, tho i was always going to have both of them do so) and i did take my husband's name. if i did it all over again today, i'd have eloped somewhere, just us, and probably just kept my own name rather than using both. such is life... :D

congrats and good luck jeags!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Jeagler. You Moron! Haven't you read enough crap on here to NOT get married??? If not, I'm personally going to petition Kat & Sea to allow Green Tea Disease back on the board, but only if she responds to your posts, and your posts only.

My in-laws asked ME if I would PLEASE marry their daughter! I should have known! Years later and they've still thanked me for doing so!

But seeing as how you're an idiot Philly and Nova sports phanatic, then go to Nova game with him and ask him in the first half. Assuming Nova wins the game and he gives you his blessing, then you both will have a bond that will stick. I'd say the Sixers game because God knows there would be plenty of tickets available, but that's boring as hell, and you just never know with the Broadstreet Bullies.

All kidding aside, congrats, and good luck with your decision. Old school is my advice. When I asked, her mom and dad were both present which made it special. They were very appreciative and it paid dividends when the wedding came around.

good luck!
    I love to turn you on
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    I took my fiance's Dad for lunch and asked him two weeks before we left for Italy. As someone mentioned, he was more nervous than me but respected the gesture!

Good luck Jeags and don't propose on a holiday or other special event(It's tacky!) This day should be unique in the date and method you choose to do it.

:D
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    [quote="jimed14"

Just ask him to have a beer some time and chat ... that's how I did it. Heck, my future father in law was more nervous than I was.[/quote]

so was mine. i actually asked her father & mother...to be honest i don't remember exactly what i said, but it went well! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,534
    thanks for all the advice guys. much appreciated!
    www.myspace.com
  • DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited November 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    the wolf wrote:
    two words

NUDIE BAR ;)

ya think? :mrgreen:
    Absolutely not!!
    Save room for dessert!
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    don't listen to anyone here

the right thing to do is ask her father... period

what are we animally
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    don't listen to anyone here

the right thing to do is ask her father... period

what are we animally

79% at least. I'll bite a mofo half to death without thinking twice.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Hey Jeags, congrats..I called as they lived in North Carolina at the time..but yes, definitely ask either by phone and/or in person...Also, I think I remember you saying she is Hungarian, so the chances are her father is traditional and will appreciate the gesture....and us Hungarians enjoy our booze, so bringing a bottle of Hungarian vodka or a bottle of Bull's Blood (Bikavér) red wine won't hurt either ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,234
    I din't have to ask her dad for anything hi's a dirt bag at best was not even a thought ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i was like, look bitch, i going to marry your daughter and you are good to foot the bill and i only drink top shelf.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    good luck man! tell us how it went.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • BubbaBubba Posts: 631
    Good luck Jeag's...hope it all goes well....I'm about ready to take that step myself. Let us know how it turns out!
    Bubba wrote:
    Good luck Jeag's...hope it all goes well....I'm about ready to take that step myself. Let us know how it turns out!

thanks dude. good luck to you too.
    www.myspace.com
  • so..ready for this???
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    thanks again for the advice---much appreciated!
    www.myspace.com
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    to you and the soon to be MRS. Jeagler! :clap:
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Congratulations! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    one word

RUN!!!!!!

Just kidding
    congrats
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Congrats!!!!

Glad you got the answer you wanted.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    Congrats man, that is exciting!
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    another one bites the dust :lol:

congrats
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Congratulations! :D All the best to you and the future missus.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    does the mrs jeagler know what she is in for :lol:
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    wooohooo!!! awesome news...very happy for you both :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln