Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    jets521 wrote:
    i mean....if it is "so dumb" then why does it have 5 pages? :lol:
    Because people overreact over stupid shit.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Guns are fuckin stupid. Name one reason why anyone needs one? Hunters and the army. That's it. If they didn't make em, people wouldn't be able to buy em. So no gun violence.

The cops wouldn't need em if the criminals couldn't get hold of em.

Responsible gun holder? Is there such a thing? If someone slept with your wife, you walk in and catch her blowing him off, you're telling me you wouldn't reach for it if it was there? Course you would.

Look, you think guns are stupid. Fine, that's you're opinion. Guns are illegal in England, no? Any gun violence over there? Yup. Not working too well, is it? If criminals couldn't get a hold of guns they would just find some other way to commit violence. Knives. Axes. Baseball bats. I consider myself a responsible gun owner because I am not a criminal and I am not out looking for trouble. They are locked in a safe which is what is required by law. They are legal to own here in the US if you have a permit from the police and the state in which you live.

Oh, and for your little example at the end. I think I could inflict a lot more pain and suffering on someone without using a gun. Besides, murder is illegal and I'm not a criminal, remember?
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Guns are fuckin stupid. Name one reason why anyone needs one? Hunters and the army. That's it. If they didn't make em, people wouldn't be able to buy em. So no gun violence.

Responsible gun holder? Is there such a thing? If someone slept with your wife, you walk in and catch her blowing him off, you're telling me you wouldn't reach for it if it was there? Course you would.

Look, you think guns are stupid. Fine, that's you're opinion. Guns are illegal in England, no? Any gun violence over there? Yup. Not working too well, is it? If criminals couldn't get a hold of guns they would just find some other way to commit violence. Knives. Axes. Baseball bats. I consider myself a responsible gun owner because I am not a criminal and I am not out looking for trouble. They are locked in a safe which is what is required by law. They are legal to own here in the US if you have a permit from the police and the state in which you live.

Oh, and for your little example at the end. I think I could inflict a lot more pain and suffering on someone without using a gun. Besides, murder is illegal and I'm not a criminal, remember?

+1 Well said.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • You're right of course, it's murder capital one over here. The number of bodies I'm tripping over on my way to work is getting beyond a joke now.

I think we had about 10 shootings in Sheffield last year, which is loads by comparison to some deprived city in the US.

You're right, we should definately start to man up and buy some fucking guns.

They're legal in your country, yes? Which means any fucker can buy one, no? Laws should be based on the stupid amongst us and not the intelligent. Anyone in they're right mind knows that to shoot someone is wrong, so by suggesting that because you're of sound mind and keep yours locked away this somehow makes gun ownership ok is a stupid argument.

May I ask why it is you want to own one in the first place? For protection? For hunting?

I think you'll find that I suggested they stop making them...
    ~~ 27 years of nothin' but failures and promises that i couldn't keep ~~
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    You're right of course, it's murder capital one over here. The number of bodies I'm tripping over on my way to work is getting beyond a joke now.

I think we had about 10 shootings in Sheffield last year, which is loads by comparison to some deprived city in the US.

They're legal in your country, yes? Which means any fucker can buy one, no? Laws should be based on the stupid amongst us and not the intelligent. Anyone in they're right mind knows that to shoot someone is wrong, so by suggesting that because you're of sound mind and keep yours locked away this somehow makes gun ownership ok is a stupid argument.

May I ask why it is you want to own one in the first place? For protection? For hunting?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/pers ... -guns.html

I found this article interesting. Especially the last paragraph.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    jets521 wrote:
    i mean....if it is "so dumb" then why does it have 5 pages? :lol:
    Same reason Brittany Spears sells so many records. ;)
    Guns are fuckin stupid. Name one reason why anyone needs one? Hunters and the army. That's it. If they didn't make em, people wouldn't be able to buy em. So no gun violence.

While ideally I think guns are terrible and shouldn't exist, a gun ban is not a pragmatic solution because we have such a thriving black market for guns. Making anything illegal doesn't work abortion was illegal, or smoking pot, or underaged drinking. Probably the best solution is reasonable gun control, making it harder to get a gun than just going to Walmart or a gun show and taxing bullets along with education of guns. Because ultimately, the pro-gunners are right in a sense, it is the people who use a gun who commit the crime. But that doesn't mean that a gun isn't an enabler.

I did find it funny when I went to Vancouver and I was talking to a Canadian about how they have free health care, probably one of the most highly regarded weeds in the world, lower drinking age and etc. Meanwhile, he was fascinated how easy it was to get a gun here, despite having it better there in just about everything else.

Like Eddie says in the song, owning a gun is "Kindred to being American". I guess this board proves it.

Pearl Jam:

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    You're right of course, it's murder capital one over here. The number of bodies I'm tripping over on my way to work is getting beyond a joke now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/pers ... -guns.html

I found this article interesting. Especially the last paragraph.

You may credit that to our lax gun laws if you like, but Steven Levitt made an interesting argument that it was infact our pro choice laws that have reduced crime. The logic is simple, typically the mothers abort children because they are unwanted. If they are born, they are born into a family that they are not wanted in, therefore, they are more likely to become criminals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freakonomics

Pearl Jam:

Eddie Vedder Solo:
  • how is this thread not locked?
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Red-ManRed-Man Posts: 62
    And that Hitler fella sure was great role model.

Wowee

JohnnyRock is the onhly person speaking any sense on here.
    Nope just enough common sense that to let the general public access to firearms is a really dumb idea. There is plenty of statistics and figures and atrocious shootings to clearly prove that point. There is no reason to let anyone arm themselves at all.

wrong again....statistics show that cities that allow open carry of fire arms have LESS crime...why?...because the "bad guys" like too feed upon the weak and meek....people like you, who want to hide in a closet and hope the cops make it before the bad guy gets you instead of fighting for yourself...see gun laws don't stop bad guys from getting guns because they are never legally obtained.

I look at how Hitler made strict gun laws to disarm the Jews before he started wiping them out...Stalin & Pol Pot did the same thing before their genocidal killing sprees....and the head general of the Japanese military was asked why he didn't invade America when he crippled it's defenses at Pearl Harbor and he said "because all it's citizens are armed!"....that would be the militia our forefathers had in mind when they made the 2nd amendment so that we may guard ourselves from tyranny...whether it be a foreign army or our own government.

now if that sounds dumb to you...then it's just you...believe me.
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    how is this thread not locked?

the original remark may have been a little "off-color"...whatever thats neither here nor there.

somehow this turned into a f'n gun control thread. not exactly what i intended following what was supposed to be a simple joke.
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • scottewing wrote:
    And that Hitler fella sure was great role model.

Wowee

JohnnyRock is the onhly person speaking any sense on here.

i didn't call Hitler a role model..i said he made strict gun laws to disarm the Jews before he started killing them off!! how you twisted that around in your mind and came out thinking i was endorsing Hitler..i have to fucking idea!!

and the other guy is from England...so arguing with him is a waste of time...he doesn't have a 2nd amendment.
  • First off, to remain on the original topic, I thought it was pretty funny and obviously a joke. No, not that suicide or any of the other stuff is a joke, but still kind of a clever/funny comment.

And now to go the way of everyone else and off subject, I feel a little compelled to throw in my 2 cents. Guns: I agree that it is horrible that they exist and the world would be a better place if no one had them. However, living in the reality of our world, I am a gun owner. I've only owned a gun for a couple of years and I have reasons. The field that I work in can be somewhat dangerous, even though it would not appear so. Recently a colleague of mine in a nearby community was killed by a bullet to the brain by someone that he had upset in our line of work. I personally have a wife and 3 kids that I provide for and feel the responsibility to live for. While I strongly feel that I would never be the aggressor in any situation, if I know there is someone going to try to harm me or my family, yes, I would be willing to protect. This is not something I take lightly. I fully understand that I may never get over the psychological damage and stress that taking another life would bring. But I would rather go through it myself than to let my kids go through not having a father.

And to the OP, again, sorry to go off subject, but this does strike a bit of a chord in me. I fully respect the opinion of the others and those who choose not to own guns, but just thought maybe an explaination might help someone understand a personal choice I've made.
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    Talk about ironic

i am reading Bill Simmons' new book, "The Book of Basketball" and check out this blurb that i came across. kind of sums up the whole Cobain argument in a paragraph.

"The Book of Basketball"
    page 172
    ....which leads me to my world-renowned Kurt Cobain Theory: Part of the reason Nirvana gained steam historically was because Cobain killed himself at the perfect time, right after In Utero and the MTV Unplugged album, when he was hooked on drugs and slowly going insane. Had he hung around and survived, we would have been treated to a few rehab stints, some bizarre behavior, a messy/bloody/violent breakup with Courtney Love that would have landed one of them (or both) in jail, at least two incoherent albums that every annoying Cobain fanatic would have defended as "genius man, pure genius", followed by a six-year disappearance and an eventual booking on Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew, where he definitely would have hooked up with Mary Carey. He would have made Scott Weiland seem more bubbly than the dudees from Wham! After enduring his pathetic downfall for twelve of fourteen years, would we still be hailing Cobaiin as a musical genius and crediting him as the father of alternative music? No way! He would have been just another druggie musician who threw away his career.

A great parallel: Billy Corgan started out just as fast as Cobain; by 2001 he was an egocentric bald guy who made music nobody bought. Nobody cares that Smashing Pumpkins vs. Nirvana was a semi legitimate argument in 1994, or that the best 12 Pumpkin songs might be better than the best 12 Nirvana songs. The fact remains, Nirvana came first and paved the way. It's like comparing David Thompson to Dr. J. The stats might back you up but you still can't do it
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09