Options

are YOU a sports fan fraud?

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    Wobbie said:
    It doesn't mention about following your favorite player?  I switched loyalty to the Angels when Reggie left, when he spent his last year with the A's I did not switch again though.

I am a firm believer that you don't have to be a homer...
    By rule, that would make you a fraud, sorry to say!

You're from NY right? How did you become a fan of the Angels?
    As stated above when Reggie left in 82 was it?  

I would agree that I am a hometown fraud but a sports fan fraud?  Absolutely not.  I enjoy sports way too much and know more about things in general than the average homer.
    I don't make the rules!
    That's one persons holier than thou opus though which caters to the Homer attitude of things.  I agree with some of it like the yahoo whom wears a blue jays hat to a Yanks/mariners game...
    Well I'm just a firm believer of rooting for your home town team no matter what. 

lazy.
    civic pride

“We got the dog killer! go birds!”
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975

Well I got a chuckle out of you at least.

I'm thankful that I became a Lakers fan when I lived in Cali and not an insufferable and delusional Knicks fan...
    I'll bet.

But I'll also bet that if and when the Knicks ever win a championship, that high that those long suffering fans will experience will be unlike anything you experienced after you became Lakers fan. 

To me, that's what it's all about. Red Sox fans experienced that in '04...Cubs fans a few years ago...Cavs fans when Lebron came back... us Eagles fans a couple years ago. There is literally nothing like finally reaching the mountain top after sticking with your home town team through decades of futility. Absolutely nothing like euphoric feeling. It's the ultimate reward as a sports fan.

I actually feel sorry that you won't ever experience it!

2002 and 1998 I did.  After watching the Halos fall apart in 86 and 95, I got to see them win it all in 2002.

After suffering through 3 Super Bowl Losses w the Broncos I got to see them win it in 98 and repeat in 99 so I do know that feeling.
    Wait you are a Broncos fan too?

You're all over the place man!
    You have no idea...

2 teams I root for locally are Yankees and Islanders, I go to any local sporting event I can, hell I've been to the pinstripe bowl!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:
    It doesn't mention about following your favorite player?  I switched loyalty to the Angels when Reggie left, when he spent his last year with the A's I did not switch again though.

I am a firm believer that you don't have to be a homer...
    By rule, that would make you a fraud, sorry to say!

You're from NY right? How did you become a fan of the Angels?
    As stated above when Reggie left in 82 was it?  

I would agree that I am a hometown fraud but a sports fan fraud?  Absolutely not.  I enjoy sports way too much and know more about things in general than the average homer.
    I don't make the rules!
    That's one persons holier than thou opus though which caters to the Homer attitude of things.  I agree with some of it like the yahoo whom wears a blue jays hat to a Yanks/mariners game...
    Well I'm just a firm believer of rooting for your home town team no matter what. 

lazy.
    civic pride

“We got the dog killer! go birds!”
    This is America! We don't believe in second chances!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    And if you don't have a hometown team, but live equidistant to 3 major sports cities (Pittsburgh, Baltimore, DC) and don't like any of the them?
    This fraud list is about as valid as the PCU rule of not wearing the band's shirt to a concert.
    The Cubs are my team.  Bottom line.  They have been since I was a kid and always will be. I don't need some stupid list telling me I'm a fraud because I don't root for the Pirates.
    The not wearing a band's shirt to their concert thing is a hard and fast one that I follow as well.

Where are you from and how did you become a Cubs fan?
    Grew up in neighboring towns between MD and WV.  Had WGN when I was a kid and my choices were the Cubs, the Braves on TBS, or limited Orioles games on WJZ-13. The Cubs were always on in the day (before the lights) when I came home from school and the rest is history.
    I guess this area would consider "the home team" to be the Orioles. There's a big Cubs presence because of the WGN thing, and a big Red Sox presence because of Lefty Grove (born in the town my high school was in).  There are some Pirates and Nats fans around, but not nearly as many as the O's.  There was a contingent of Phillies fans in the 90's, because John Kruk's hometown is one of those towns I grew up in. And of course there are random Yankee fans.

It's crazy how many Cubs fans are spread out all over the country with no ties to Chicago because of the WGN thing back in the day.
  • Options
    And if you don't have a hometown team, but live equidistant to 3 major sports cities (Pittsburgh, Baltimore, DC) and don't like any of the them?
    This fraud list is about as valid as the PCU rule of not wearing the band's shirt to a concert.
    The Cubs are my team.  Bottom line.  They have been since I was a kid and always will be. I don't need some stupid list telling me I'm a fraud because I don't root for the Pirates.
    The not wearing a band's shirt to their concert thing is a hard and fast one that I follow as well.

Grew up in neighboring towns between MD and WV.  Had WGN when I was a kid and my choices were the Cubs, the Braves on TBS, or limited Orioles games on WJZ-13. The Cubs were always on in the day (before the lights) when I came home from school and the rest is history.
    I guess this area would consider "the home team" to be the Orioles. There's a big Cubs presence because of the WGN thing, and a big Red Sox presence because of Lefty Grove (born in the town my high school was in).  There are some Pirates and Nats fans around, but not nearly as many as the O's.  There was a contingent of Phillies fans in the 90's, because John Kruk's hometown is one of those towns I grew up in. And of course there are random Yankee fans.

It's crazy how many Cubs fans are spread out all over the country with no ties to Chicago because of the WGN thing back in the day.
    I used to love watching them after school back in the day.

Mr Dyer does not appear to be in any kind of violation here. Sounds like he grew up in kind of a no mans land so I can sort of understand becoming a fan of the Cubs since they were on tv every day.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

I used to love watching them after school back in the day.

Mr Dyer does not appear to be in any kind of violation here. Sounds like he grew up in kind of a no mans land so I can sort of understand becoming a fan of the Cubs since they were on tv every day.
    Yep. Harry Caray & Steve Stone were pretty much my afterschool chaperones.  They made sure I got my homework done while teaching me the ins & (mostly) outs of Cubs baseball.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

lol that's funny!
  • Options
    ^
    I was gonna post that. lol

Hey at least they still have Notre Dame football and Duke basketball to look forward to!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    unfortunately on Sunday two of them won
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    ^
    I was gonna post that. lol

Hey at least they still have Notre Dame football and Duke basketball to look forward to!
    lol.  we all know them.

Somewhere they have all their Bulls/Jordan stuff they had like a starter jacket and posters that hung in their locker.

But yeah.  Always the Yankees, Notre Dame, and the Lakers when they are good.  Always a top flite NCAA hoops program they have no ties to as well like Duke or Kentucky
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Yanks
    Cowboys (or if they are younger, the Pats)
    Notre Dame (or of they are younger, Bama)
    Lakers or Celtics
    Habs (or if they are younger perhaps the Pens?)
    Duke/Kentucky/UCLA

I just puked in mouth a little bit thinking of the evil fuckers who would root for that list, all together.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Yanks
    Cowboys (or if they are younger, the Pats)
    Notre Dame (or of they are younger, Bama)
    Lakers or Celtics
    Habs (or if they are younger perhaps the Pens?)
    Duke/Kentucky/UCLA

I just puked in mouth a little bit thinking of the evil fuckers who would root for that list, all together.

Is UCLA Basketball still a thing?

In the 90's it was all Bulls and Atlanta Braves, ND, NC, Duke, Don't remember if people rooted for the Pens or  Gretzky and the Kings?
  • Options
    Yeah I would say UNC instead of UCLA.

Interested in how they landed on UNC or Duke though...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Yeah I guess fUCLA basketball goes back to the oldsters.  Sort of like Habs (or any team from Canada) hockey being the dominant name.

Pens because of Sid and recent winning.  Could be Hawks or Red Wings.  Seems it was fashionable to be an octopus throwing fan for a long period of time.  

Bulls game/went with MJ, though.  They are an afterthought in the "I only root for sport dominating winners Fandom" beyond Jordan.
  • Options
    Yeah I would say UNC instead of UCLA.

Interested in how they landed on UNC or Duke though...
    UNC and DUke always seemed to be 1&2 so the games were always on TV.  They had a ton of good players go to the pros.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Are there really a lot of bandwagon hockey fans though?

By the way, congrats on your Lakers @tempo_n_groove . I was wrong about them this year. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2020

By the way, congrats on your Lakers @tempo_n_groove . I was wrong about them this year. 
    Hockey fans are kind of a niche so I dont think it is as prevalent.  You dont get a lot of random people jumping in to claim fandom of a good team.... because nobody at the water cooler really cares.

With that said, I have known some awful ones. Mainly penguins fans who only appear out of the woodwork when they are good, only to disappear.

I have known a few awful Rangers fans too.  I went to college with a lot of downstate NY people.  I am still in touch in social media.  Some of these people will root heavily for the Rangers it seems only if they are winning playoff games.  Like multiple posts a day. (the Rangers sucked in college so they wouldnt give it the time of day).  Otherwise, nothing... but worse yet, if their new local teams are on a run like Carolina or Tampa Bay, the manic posting on how big a fan they are is annoying.    

Its funny though because the Islanders fans I knew would always watch games when they can and their loyalty to the team would never waiver.  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    Makes sense on Hockey.  It is the only sport where I changed team loyalties 
    When I moved to Los Angeles I wanted to root for one local pro team and decided to throw out the Boston Bruins for the Kings.  The majority of the time I have been a Kings fan they have been awful.  Looking forward to being good again!

Lakers bandwagon fans are awful.  Standard Lakers fans are fine but the number of people who would claim to be huge fans when Kobe and Shaq were awesome was beyond annoying.
  • Options
    there should be a paper trail and registration process to switching teams
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    there should be a paper trail and registration process to switching teams
    Haha.  I didn't take it lightly and I certainly got lots of shit about it from my Bruins meathead fan friends back home.
    Only time I have done it.

• Options
    Makes sense on Hockey.  It is the only sport where I changed team loyalties 
    When I moved to Los Angeles I wanted to root for one local pro team and decided to throw out the Boston Bruins for the Kings.  The majority of the time I have been a Kings fan they have been awful.  Looking forward to being good again!

Lakers bandwagon fans are awful.  Standard Lakers fans are fine but the number of people who would claim to be huge fans when Kobe and Shaq were awesome was beyond annoying.
    For Hockey I stopped watching the Islanders after they traded Kasparitus.  I saw them lose Lafontaine too.  They have come around big time recently but I haven't thrown my hat back in that ring yet...

I first became a Lakers fan with showtime in the 80's.
  • Options

TY sir.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    edited October 2020
    Fraud alert

Originally posted by SECNetwork Twitter account with the caption "Someone's got some explaining to do" :lol:
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    even tho my cowboys are still “in the hunt”..,

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Flag of the week
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    even tho my cowboys are still “in the hunt”..,

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/7303244

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    May be an image of text that says Alabama lost Cowboys eliminated Lakers 1-3 in their last 4 Just a terrible week for Yankees fans
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    :lol:
    May be an image of 2 people and text that says ALL SPORTS CULTURE SPIRIT BANDWAGON FAN Comes with -Yankees Hat -Cowboys chain -Lakers jersey -Alabama flag 23D174TH121 23 DAL 17 4TH 12114 ADULT Size Costume ONE SIZE EITS MOST
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    :lol:
    May be an image of 2 people and text that says ALL SPORTS CULTURE SPIRIT BANDWAGON FAN Comes with -Yankees Hat -Cowboys chain -Lakers jersey -Alabama flag 23D174TH121 23 DAL 17 4TH 12114 ADULT Size Costume ONE SIZE EITS MOST
    I don't see the Lakers being a bandwagon team anymore, Cowboys either.   

I can't remember ever being that upset over a sporting event either, lol.