Suki died today

13»

Comments

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    I miss having a cat. Wonder if i could persuade my house mates and letting agency to let me have one? :D

i will miss suki...a LOT of course, but i don't think i will ever get another cat. i will always love cats, but i love dogs more and having 2 dogs plus the cat was quite pricey and i also hate litter boxes. :lol: also, suki was declawed, but i now know how frowned upon that is, and i don't think i would choose to do it if i had another kitty....and yea...the claws are a pain too for the good of my furniture, etc. of course there are lots and lots of upsides to kittys.....thus why i've had 2!...but we're definitely more dog people, overall and given the expense of that and us being just regular folk :)...we'll stick with the 2 dogs. i'll just be sure to keep myself away from the animal shelter so i don't cave in a moment of weakness. :mrgreen:

(that's how we ended up adopting 2 dogs within 2 months after my beloved sinead had passed away unexpectedly in 2000 - gotta stay away from the shelters when grieving! :oops: )

Never had a dog but would love to have one. I just don't think i can commit to the time you need to walk it at the min. I won't get one otherwise. It wouldn't be fair.

i hear that.
    thing is, we're so spoiled.
    since we have our own home and a nice-sized yard, we never have to walk our dogs. in fact, they're terrible on leashes b/c we just never invested the time in training em since they really only leave the premises to go to the vets once a year. :oops: i used to be a better, more diligent dog-owner. honest. but igby is now our 5th dog together....we've grown quite lazy. :mrgreen: cats are awesome pets, especially for apartment dwellers, people who work late hours, etc, etc. if i could not have a dog i would definitely get another cat, i just need to have a furry/cuddly pet, and not one that lives in a cage...but one that can curl up on the sofa with me, hog up space on the bed, etc. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• i hear that.
    since we have our own home and a nice-sized yard, we never have to walk our dogs. in fact, they're terrible on leashes b/c we just never invested the time in training em since they really only leave the premises to go to the vets once a year. :oops: i used to be a better, more diligent dog-owner. honest. but igby is now our 5th dog together....we've grown quite lazy. :mrgreen: cats are awesome pets, especially for apartment dwellers, people who work late hours, etc, etc. if i could not have a dog i would definitely get another cat, i just need to have a furry/cuddly pet, and not one that lives in a cage...but one that can curl up on the sofa with me, hog up space on the bed, etc. :D

Before i moved out from my mum's house the cat spent 9 nights out of 10 on my bed.

The thing with most cats and dogs is that they give you unconditional love. A quality we just don't posess. Humans are so selfish. If only it were that simple for us :)

i hear that.

Before i moved out from my mum's house the cat spent 9 nights out of 10 on my bed.

The thing with most cats and dogs is that they give you unconditional love. A quality we just don't posess. Humans are so selfish. If only it were that simple for us :)

truly, thank you for changing the focus of this thread....to the unconditional love/happiness. it IS worth it. otherwise we'd not put ourselves thru all the horrible pain when they leave us, b/c yes...we are selfish.

thanks for making me feel all warm and fuzzy. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Before i moved out from my mum's house the cat spent 9 nights out of 10 on my bed.

truly, thank you for changing the focus of this thread....to the unconditional love/happiness. it IS worth it. otherwise we'd not put ourselves thru all the horrible pain when they leave us, b/c yes...we are selfish.

thanks for making me feel all warm and fuzzy. :mrgreen:

:D
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    very sorry to hear this, mine is 14 and I can tell she's starting to feel it.
    hubby is picking up suki's remains from the vet today.
    crematorium used to deliver them to your home, now you have to pick them up...all for the same price. inflation i guess. :?

i have a few pics i took of suki the saturday (5 days) before she died. when i get around to uploading em, i'll be sure to post a few.

can;t believe it was only a week ago.
    seems like just yesterday, and a long time ago, all at the same time.
    i miss my kitty.
    it's getting easier, but i still miss her.
    old habits are hard to break.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I'm sorry D2D :cry:

I cried all the way home when I picked up Zillah's remains. It was happy and sad, it became so final then, but at the same time, it was nice to have him home again.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    the wolf wrote:
    I'm sorry D2D :cry:

I cried all the way home when I picked up Zillah's remains. It was happy and sad, it became so final then, but at the same time, it was nice to have him home again.

i don't think i'll cry anymore. i think i cried myself out last week. :|
    it already feels so final.
    and i am starting to just focus on the happy stuff of her life, so that's better. :)

tho i have to say, it does annoy the shit outta me that it costs $217 to cremate an 8.7 pound cat and get the remains back. same as our 60 pound dog errrr.....8 years ago? and her remains were delivered to our door. and it's not the $$$ really, already spent a grand trying to save her...it's just the principle. damnnit. :evil:

guess it's a good sign of my 'dealing' eh....that i can now get pissed off over the BS details... :? ha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• bunnybunny Posts: 270
    the most beautiful pic i have, i think, of suki.....when she was 15 i believe...

sukicutie.jpg

really beautiful cat ... I'm sorry for your loss :(
    "suki" means "like(love)" in Japanese. much-loved lovey cat :)
    take care
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I'm very sorry to hear about your cat's passing. She lived a long time :) She was so pretty too.

This weekend, my husband and I are taking my mom's cat to be put to sleep. Not looking forward. My mom made the decision today and I made the appt at the vet I used to take my cat to. The cat has alot of problems and my mom can't tie her own shoes.

Again, I'm really sorry!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    I am so sorry, dreams....so, so sorry...
    she was and still is a happy kitty....
    you will see her again.....

http://www.rainbowbridge.com/Poem.htm
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    I'm so sorry to hear that. In 2004 I had to put my cat to sleep. I had him since early 1990, and boy I was crushed when the vet told me there was nothing they could do. He (my cat) had developed some form of cancer.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I am so sorry for your loss. :( :( :(

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    iluvcats wrote:
    The cat has alot of problems and my mom can't tie her own shoes.

Can it not be rehomed? If it just needs care and is not in pain, animal shelters can help - there are people who take in animals with health problems and look after them.
    kazuki.k wrote:
    the most beautiful pic i have, i think, of suki.....when she was 15 i believe...

sukicutie.jpg

really beautiful cat ... I'm sorry for your loss :(
    "suki" means "like(love)" in Japanese. much-loved lovey cat :)
    take care

oh, cool...thanks for sharing. :)
    i admit, i stole the name from a peter gabriel song - games without frontiers - "suki plays with leo, sasha plays with brit..." figured it had to be japanese in origin, but just thought it so beautiful, and a big gabriel fan, so yea. nice to know.

so now my little kitty is in a little tiny flowery tin box, within a wood box on the shelves on my fireplace wall in the LR.....right behind where her bed used to be on the floor, where she spent 98.7% of her life the past few years....so hopefully she's happy.....

and i still, every morning on my way out the door, have to stop myself from saying 'bye suki-sue'.....gonna take time....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    D2D... I had just read your first post on this last night, and I meant to comment on it... I didn't know what to say though, it's such a heartwrenching story. But I'm glad you're feeling better about it now. Cats are the best... I hope you always remember those 20 years with fondness.
  • dadesdades Posts: 322
    sorry to hear of your loss, i know how you feel.
    lost both of my cats a year apart, Sark, my wee girl on 13 dec 07 and Casey ,her brother on 26 dec 08.
    it still gets to me .
    had them for 16 and 17 years since they were 5/6 wks old
    have their ashes in small caskets beside each other with a picture of them where i can see them everyday
    wish i could say something to make you feel better, but no words can during this time, it didnt for me anyway.
    i just took comfort that i gave them a good life,they didnt want for anything and were spoilt rotten
    hopefully you will in that you did the same for Suki

take care
    Glasgow Cathouse 1992
    Glasgow S.E.C.C. 2000
    Shepherds Bush 2009 - M.E.N 2009 - London O2 2009
    Boston 2010 - Newark 2010 - MSG1+2 2010 - Dublin 2010 - Belfast 2010
    London 2010
    Manchester 1+2 2012 EV Manchester 2012 EV London 31/7/2012
    Philly 1+2 2013 - Hartford 2013
    Berlin 2014 Leeds 2014
    Fenway 2 2016
    EV London 1+2 2017
    London 1+2 - Berlin 2018
    thanks kenny and dades, truly....much appreciated. :)

funny too, last night my husband brought suki home, and brought the towel home that was with her the whole time at the vets. my husband said that when chloe (our older dog) saw/smelled it...she jumped up on the table with her front paws and sniffed it wildly. i know before we took her to the vets the dogs had been checking up on suki a lot, always going over to her in her bed, etc. animals always seem to 'know....ya know? and poor little igby, he just kept looking for suki in her bed every time he went in the LR. only the past couple days has he stopped.

every dog suki lived with - a total of 5! - never messed with her, slightly afraid of her. :D suki was a bad-ass kitty. 8-) igby, the last of the 5 and the smallest, a pug...i guess came around when she mellowed with age, and also perhaps b/c he was small, she allowed him more leeway. igby used to actually clean suki's ears all the time. it was so cute. so they actually had a bit of a special relationship. :)

iggykisses2008.jpg

sukiigbyxmas2004.jpg
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...