tootoughtootough Posts: 31
    edited January 2014
    [quote
    Post edited by tootough on
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,258
    http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/st ... ng_1126942

VEDDER SUED OVER INTO THE WILD SONG

Rocker EDDIE VEDDER is fighting legal action from a Canadian singer/songwriter for changing the lyrics to a song he recorded for the INTO THE WILD soundtrack.
    The Pearl Jam star recorded Gordon Peterson's tune Hard Sun in 2007 for Sean Penn's hit film, but Peterson, who originally wrote the track in 1987, wasn't happy when he heard the finished version - and realised the rock icon had altered the lyrics.
    Peterson is now suing Vedder and has filed papers in New York's Manhattan federal court.
    The suit states, "Vedder altered certain key lyrics of Hard Sun... eroding the integrity of the composition."
    Executives at Universal Music are also targeted in the lawsuit after allegedly licensing the track without his permission.
    Peterson is demanding all profits from the "acts of infringement".
    However, Vedder's lawyer Gregory Clarick insists Peterson has no grounds for complaint.
    He tells the New York Post, "We don't see any basis for a copyright infringement claim."
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    oh no. i just saw a thread was created about this yesterday. wonder how long it will take someone to call me an ass for not using the search function correctly? :lol: deal with it ! :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,358
    Man.. can't you read?!?!? It was even on the front page. :P
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    ass!!!

use the search function!

ass.
  • Options
    :lol:

it was not on the first page actually. still, what do you make of this?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

you have over 2400 posts

thats what i make of it
  • Options

you have over 2400 posts

thats what i make of it

i don't care for the search function, kat. i think it should be abolished. i also think you should be banned.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Well Eddie has a shitload of money, I think he will be okay. Famous people probably get sued all the time for that kinda crap. Plus if he was already given permission to cover the song then theres no copyright, this loser Canadian needs to get over himself, he's just mad cuz his original version isn't nearly as popular.
    http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/vedder-sued-over-into-the-wild-song_1126942

VEDDER SUED OVER INTO THE WILD SONG

Rocker EDDIE VEDDER is fighting legal action from a Canadian singer/songwriter for changing the lyrics to a song he recorded for the INTO THE WILD soundtrack.
    The Pearl Jam star recorded Gordon Peterson's tune Hard Sun in 2007 for Sean Penn's hit film, but Peterson, who originally wrote the track in 1987, wasn't happy when he heard the finished version - and realised the rock icon had altered the lyrics.
    Peterson is now suing Vedder and has filed papers in New York's Manhattan federal court.
    The suit states, "Vedder altered certain key lyrics of Hard Sun... eroding the integrity of the composition."
    Executives at Universal Music are also targeted in the lawsuit after allegedly licensing the track without his permission.
    Peterson is demanding all profits from the "acts of infringement".
    However, Vedder's lawyer Gregory Clarick insists Peterson has no grounds for complaint.
    He tells the New York Post, "We don't see any basis for a copyright infringement claim."
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,358
    still, what do you make of this?

I think the guy probably saw a resurgence in sales and figured he could continue milking the cash cow. In this case, I think his Green Disease is getting the better of him. It's now obvious why he only has a single album release at this date as he doesn't play well with others.

In Ed's case, he gave credit where credit was due. I'm sure there was some money exchanged between the labels for royalties, etc. I don't see this going anywhere.
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    i think they should hire someone to delete all the duplication... or consolidate it into one thread

we could have like 6 threads total

;)
  • Options

you have over 2400 posts

thats what i make of it

i don't care for the search function, kat. i think it should be abolished. i also think you should be banned.

ha ha

but, ummmm really...how did u get yourself UNlearned?
  • Options
    what do you make of this?

Don't care
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,425
    This sort of case dates back to the 1930s and 40s. To enable white artists to be able to "steal" songs from black artists, Congress passed a law stating that once a recording is commercially released by the songwriter, anyone else can release their own version of the same song as long as they pay the publishing royalties to the owner of the publishing rights. The amount was miniscule, something like 2 cents per pressed copy. This is what is known as a compulsory mechanical license (since the royalties were based on the number of copies that were mechanically reproduced). This allowed white artists to pretty much steal the songs written by black artists, since they did not need permission, and they paid a very small royalty.

The same law is in effect today, however, if the artist recording the new version want to change any lyrics, etc, said artist must get the permission of the songwriter/holder of the publishing rights.

This law has always baffled me. If a Neo-Nazi band wants to release a recording of a Pearl Jam song, as long as the new version stays true to the original version, there is no way to stop them from doing it!
  • Options
    Lambchops wrote:
    i think they should hire someone to delete all the duplication... or consolidate it into one thread

we could have like 6 threads total

;)

I'll volunteer for that. We could boil it all down to (other than the sticky threads):

Porch:
    --Sell/buy/trade/bitch about posters and bootlegs and vinyl
    --Who's meeting up before/after shows and where
    --Funny/stupid anecdotes and pictures of the band
    --News about the band (tweets) and reaction
    Given to Fly:
    --Look at how much fun we had at the show. Too bad you were halfway around the world.
    Words and music:
    --How much I love PJ's music and why.

THATS IT!

The worst was last night when they happened to play PJ during Monday Night Football and there were instantly like 7 new threads letting us know.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Where are the Philly bootlegs?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    to the jealger's defense the search function here is almost if not completely useless most of the time. Hope ed held on to some of that Ten and ITW money just in case;) Team Vedward all the way....
  • Options
    He smelled all that cash .. that's what brought him out of hiding :D The sweet smell of greeeeen
  • Options
    to the jealger's defense the search function here is almost if not completely useless most of the time. Hope ed held on to some of that Ten and ITW money just in case;) Team Vedward all the way....

gracias...however i need no defense as i simply choose not to use the search function. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

gracias...however i need no defense as i simply choose not to use the search function. :mrgreen:

dude... :roll:
  • Options
    I don't care that Eddie is getting sued. It's not the first time (Benaroya) and it won't be the last. Price of fame and Eddie won't let it phase him.

I also don't care that this is the second thread on the topic.
  • Options
    I don't care that Eddie is getting sued. It's not the first time (Benaroya) and it won't be the last. Price of fame and Eddie won't let it phase him.

dude, you gotta stand for something or you'll fall for anything ;) :P
  • Options
    moses-imoses-i Posts: 138
    I got to play devil's advocate here. First of all, assuming he agreed, if Peterson was not aware that his lyrics were being altered he has some cause to be upset. It may seem like a small change, but when you're a writer and you are particular about your words, I could see how it would be irritating for someone to alter your words. Moreover, I decided to give Peterson's Big Harvest album a listen and was a little shocked. Personally, I heard some stuff that could've been pulled from a few Pearl Jam albums (even though the album was released well before Ten or any other Pearl Jam album). I also found it interesting how well Hard Sun "fit" Vedder. Like I was really surprised that he didn't write it. But seriously, listen to the song Grinding Wheel. I was convinced for a minute that it was actually the opening of Ten. I am by no means suggesting Eddie Vedder or Pearl Jam stole any ideas from Peterson or anything of the sort, but to me there is a definite similarity between Big Harvest and some Pearl Jam compositions.
    if jah is the ship, we smile at the storm.
  • Options

good for you. board nazis are the lowest form of nazis if you ask me :mrgreen:

why were they sued for benaroya?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Wha? Benaroya? This is the first time i've ever heard of ed being sued.. then again i didn't join the message pit until like 03
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    This sort of case dates back to the 1930s and 40s. To enable white artists to be able to "steal" songs from black artists, Congress passed a law stating that once a recording is commercially released by the songwriter, anyone else can release their own version of the same song as long as they pay the publishing royalties to the owner of the publishing rights. The amount was miniscule, something like 2 cents per pressed copy. This is what is known as a compulsory mechanical license (since the royalties were based on the number of copies that were mechanically reproduced). This allowed white artists to pretty much steal the songs written by black artists, since they did not need permission, and they paid a very small royalty.

The same law is in effect today, however, if the artist recording the new version want to change any lyrics, etc, said artist must get the permission of the songwriter/holder of the publishing rights.

This law has always baffled me. If a Neo-Nazi band wants to release a recording of a Pearl Jam song, as long as the new version stays true to the original version, there is no way to stop them from doing it!
    its a ridiculous concept that would make virtually every cover illegal. give me a break.
  • Options
    !!!
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    i heard russell crowe is filling a lawsuit against him too, citing he has exclusive copyrights to this look.

russell_crowe.jpg
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,312
    The only credible Canadian singer/songwriter named Gordon is Gordon Lightfoot.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life