Options

EDDIES BEING SUED!

Comments

• Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,614
    Shawshank wrote:
    People need to be kinder to this man...there are two sides to every story... I do believe he may just want a little money for his part in the creation of the song. He may be looking at Ed's success with Into The Wild and may want more than is due. Again we shouldn't beat up the man...we are not privy to all of the details...

Maybe he saw how much the ITW vinyls are going for on Ebay and wants his cut. :lol:
    I have one...I'll send it to him for free.... :)

Gordon here. Should I give you my address so you can send me the free vinyl? Thanks!
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,472
    he says it degraded the integrity of the song. Be honest, did anyone hear this Gordon Peterson version before Into the Wild came out? My guess is no. I didn't. Eddie's version was played on radio stations and if anything brought royalties to Gordon Peterson. He should be happy. I don't think this lawsuit will go very far. I bet Eddie can afford better lawyers.

Sorry everyone - this was a number one song in Canada in 1989/early 1990 and it was very very heavily played on pretty much every radio station and the video (credited to Indio, which included Joni Mitchell) was played in very heavy rotation on Muchmusic. Just because Americans didn't hear it before Ed did it does not mean it did not exist.

And Ed changed the lyrics quite significantly. I love this song to death and it was/is very special to me back in the day, Ed's changes were really obvious.

Original, "Burned down and threw away the hours..."
    Ed, "Bound down and threw away the hours..."

Original, "When I stayed to pillage her..."
    Ed, "When I see her bitter/pin her charms..."

I understood that Gordon Peterson could not be found to ask if the lyrics could be changed. He's quite the recluse apparently.

I believe the song is about the planet, so the original words make the most sense...

So, Ed's not perfect. Big deal. But he shouldn't have changed the lyrics without permission. He'd probably freak if someone asked to use Black, and he said sure, and then the lyrics were changed. I would imagine anyone would. Do you mind if you I use the personal song most associated with you and defines you? Would it bug you if I made it better, because I think some things in Black don't make sense? Great! Thanks!

Nobody said it didn't exist before. And maybe Ed thought that's what he was saying. We sometimes can't understand what Ed is saying.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743

Sorry everyone - this was a number one song in Canada in 1989/early 1990 and it was very very heavily played on pretty much every radio station and the video (credited to Indio, which included Joni Mitchell) was played in very heavy rotation on Muchmusic. Just because Americans didn't hear it before Ed did it does not mean it did not exist.

And Ed changed the lyrics quite significantly. I love this song to death and it was/is very special to me back in the day, Ed's changes were really obvious.

I understood that Gordon Peterson could not be found to ask if the lyrics could be changed. He's quite the recluse apparently.

I believe the song is about the planet, so the original words make the most sense...

So, Ed's not perfect. Big deal. But he shouldn't have changed the lyrics without permission. He'd probably freak if someone asked to use Black, and he said sure, and then the lyrics were changed. I would imagine anyone would. Do you mind if you I use the personal song most associated with you and defines you? Would it bug you if I made it better, because I think some things in Black don't make sense? Great! Thanks!

It's good to see the other side of the argument. :D

You do have a point there....

Did he really have to go through a lawyer, though?

I'm sure Ed would easily have things corrected (clearing the misunderstanding or personal issues Gordon had) if he and Gordon had an conversation as musicians? Especially he, Gordon himself, that EV would gladly talk to right away had he contacted him??
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I'm sure this guy signed a contract for a certain amount of money with the record company. Thinking that I wasn't going to be a big deal he said ok and signed for a mediocre amount. after the success he is now rethinking it and wants more money. So let's sue the record company and complain about the lyrics.

People do this all the time. No one ever honors a contract anymore. I'm sure this guys lawyers got him started with this and they'll squeeze every penny out of the record company they can.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    after left the box office is too late for complain the mistakes..too late Gordon
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    he says it degraded the integrity of the song. Be honest, did anyone hear this Gordon Peterson version before Into the Wild came out? My guess is no. I didn't. Eddie's version was played on radio stations and if anything brought royalties to Gordon Peterson. He should be happy. I don't think this lawsuit will go very far. I bet Eddie can afford better lawyers.

I was 7 or 8 years old when it came out and lived in the US which would explain why I never heard it and judging by the majority of people on here, they didn't hear it till ITW came out. But still, I don't think the very minor changes warrant a lawsuit. When an artist asks another artist permission to use a song, it doesn't necessarily mean they have to cover it exactly. They might just use a verse or a solo. Would that "erode the dignity" of the song?
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    MASMAS Posts: 628
    what took the guy so fuckin long to bitch about the song? ITW came out like 3 years ago....
  • Options
    I'm sure this guy signed a contract for a certain amount of money with the record company. Thinking that I wasn't going to be a big deal he said ok and signed for a mediocre amount. after the success he is now rethinking it and wants more money. So let's sue the record company and complain about the lyrics.

People do this all the time. No one ever honors a contract anymore. I'm sure this guys lawyers got him started with this and they'll squeeze every penny out of the record company they can.

agree with this. Plus, a frivolous lawsuit against a big name is easy publicity that Gordon would otherwise not have. It's happened before, & will again.
  • Options
    tootoughtootough Posts: 31
    edited January 2014
    Instead of filing a lawsuit, could Mr. Peterson - upon indirect re-surfacing - not have tried to contact Eddie, or Sean Penn.
    Post edited by tootough on
  • Options
    Enjoy the royalites, Peterson. I mean really, he probably made more money off of iTunes sales of Eddie's single than he ever has in the past. And because of that, he's going to try to milk it for all it's worth with this proposed lawsuit. I understand where he's coming from with his claim...but it's so petty.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    sorry but there really is no legitimate gripe here. Ed didnt destroy all the original copies when he made his version. people play covers and change up lyrics all the time. i wouldnt care if somebody else covered Black and changed the lyrics. i dont know why they would want to and it would probably suck, but i just wouldnt listen to it.

Gordon can fuck off with his frivolous lawsuits.
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    MrSmith wrote:
    sorry but there really is no legitimate gripe here. Ed didnt destroy all the original copies when he made his version. people play covers and change up lyrics all the time. i wouldnt care if somebody else covered Black and changed the lyrics. i dont know why they would want to and it would probably suck, but i just wouldnt listen to it.

Gordon can fuck off with his frivolous lawsuits.
    Exactly. Eddie's version sucks compared to the original but it is Eddie Vedder and it is a compliment whenever Eddie Vedder covers your song. At the end of the day it's just a cash grab lawsuit and good on Peterson if he gets some more cash for his song -- he deserves it more than some record company anyway.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    RiotAct10 wrote:
    Gordon here. Should I give you my address so you can send me the free vinyl? Thanks!
    Oh yes Gordon, please post your address and I will send it out as soon as possible. Hopefully this will ease your pain... :lol:

and to all who responded to my statement...I would like to say...of course I am on Ed's side. I just hate this mentality where everyone is so ready to start a lynch mob...it's sad really. I feel for people who are being ganged up on when all the facts are not known. I am just a caring person like that whether I agree with his actions or not.

I am sure Ed will prevail...nothing seems to keep him down for long...
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    that's so stupid. well you know what, i think ed should sue this guy because he used the words "better man" in his original version.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    Eddie doesn’t deserve that!
    From my point of view, it’s a translation from Canadian English to Seattle English, like Brazilian Portuguese to Portugal Portuguese.
    The song, maybe know in Canada. But here in Portugal, just after Into the wild. And then the name of Gordon Peterson came out. Now he will be known for this… and probably it’s unfair to! He wrote a very beautiful song, but never sing… like Eddie sing!

And yes, Eddie is perfect…as perfect as can be!
    like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    to me, the question of fairness depends on what the artist was paid for the licensing of the song.

perhaps the record company owned the right to license the song and the artist got very little-since that contract is probably iron clad, the artist needed to find another way to get paid
    hey Id pissed if another artist took my song, changed it, and was playing it at every show without paying me a fair sum

I will guess that this case will settle, unless the guy is seeking millions of dollars.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    that's so stupid. well you know what, i think ed should sue this guy because he used the words "better man" in his original version.
    Try looking at a calendar sometime 1989 was a long time before 1996

I guess then most of you think that if someone covered black and changed the lyrics to suit their purpose Ed would just have to suck it up and be grateful someone made it a hit?
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199

I guess then most of you think that if someone covered black and changed the lyrics to suit their purpose Ed would just have to suck it up and be grateful someone made it a hit?

I have to do this, only because I'm an ass.

Try looking up the history of the band, Betterman was written by Ed pre-Pearl Jam. Oh, and it was released in '94 by Pearl Jam.

Oh, and I think it was a joke about Ed suing the guy back. And I'm just being a jackass, so all is good! :mrgreen:
  • Options

yeah actually. happens all the time.

or he can hate it all he wants as long as he doesnt bring a moronic lawsuit against the guy.
  • Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    So his song was re-made without his approval or even his knowledge - this seems like a legit gripe? Or did the record company own the song outright?
    You don't the approval or knowledge of the original writer of a song to record a cover version, all that's required is to ensure that the appropriate royalties are paid (which isn't being disputed in this case by the sounds of it).
  • Options
    DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    Wonder what Mickey Munoz thinks about Ed stealing his stance...the "Quasimodo"

:)Eddie+Vedder+eddie_beach.jpg

quasimodo.jpg

Never knew the context of that photo until yesterday when I was reading "Legends of Surfing" book. Kind of cool.

Nice find! I always wondered what that pose was about, to be honest with you I thought it was meant to look like a moose head or something, you know like antlers?
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Ed has changed the lyrics of Rockin' in the Free World. There are official bootlegs with the altered lyrics.
    Neil Young hasn't sued Ed.
    Why did he notice "the erosion of the integrity of the composition" two years after Into The Wild release? :roll:
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    [quote="
    Why did he notice "the erosion of the integrity of the composition" two years after Into The Wild release? :roll:[/quote]

well, erosion usually does take a while...

(pause for laughter)

but seriously, folks, this lawsuit is the biggest piece of douchery I've seen in all my years.
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
  • Options
    Spencer wrote:
    So his song was re-made without his approval or even his knowledge - this seems like a legit gripe? Or did the record company own the song outright?
    You don't the approval or knowledge of the original writer of a song to record a cover version, all that's required is to ensure that the appropriate royalties are paid (which isn't being disputed in this case by the sounds of it).

OK, thanks - I didn't know that and in fact assumed the opposite.
    nothing's changed but the surrounding bullsh1t
  • Options
    This lawsuit is a bunch of crap! :twisted:
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    you know what sucks? this was the best part of his solo show. i had chills and excitement that are on par with a pj show. no joke! now he may never play this again!
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    norm wrote:
    "Vedder altered certain key lyrics of 'Hard Sun' . . . eroding the integrity of the composition."

huh? just listened to the original and it seems to me ed was very faithful to the original...maybe you should have brought this up, oh i don't know, 2 years ago, gordon :roll:

:clap:
    Someone probably told him he could squeeze a few dollars out of the "rich rock star". :lol:
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Could of gone the Jerry Hannan route Gordon.....

Play with Ed enjoy your royalties and second life.

continue to wallow in your self pity.
  • Options
    tootough wrote:
    Instead of filing a lawsuit, could Mr. Peterson - upon indirect re-surfacing - not have tried to contact Eddie, or Sean Penn, directly to sort out his stated issues?

How do we know he didn't? We know nothing other than what that article said. Lots of assuming and name calling going on here. It's really none of our business.