Being pregnant is NOT a disability!

Comments

• I get what you're saying.

Sounds like she's milking it....

yeah... possibly... but it also sounds like she really dislikes and judges this woman for other reasons...
    she is still screwing the guy who not only knocked her up, but gave her chlamydia and herpes........and she's worried about having to do a little work?

ya i'm sure she is too. just ignore her, her punishment is she has herpes. :lol:
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I get what you're saying.

ya i'm sure she is too. just ignore her, her punishment is she has herpes. :lol:

Hell, maybe they're both knocked up & have herpes. We'll never know. ;)
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Purple_chick, since you are 6 months pregnant perhaps you need to take more consideration for yourself? :geek:

Instead of being angry that she is asking to do less, maybe you should be caring for your own pregnancy too?!

Right now you almost seem like the angry old person who says "Well, I had to walk twenty miles in a snow storm (with holes in my shoes!) to get to school...so why shouldn't everyone have to?"

(I'm joking of course. It sounds better if you say it with a comical tone of voice and face. ;) )

Look at this fact-->
    scb wrote:
    From the American College of Obstetrics & Gynecology's Committee Opinion on Exercise During Pregnancy and the Postpartum Period (Number 267, January 2002):

"It has been reported that pregnant women whose occupations require standing or repetitive, strenuous, physical work (eg, lifting) have a tendency to deliver earlier and have small-for-gestational-age infants."
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Soooo, this new girl started where I work (geriactric psych unit in a hospital) and not long after she found out she's pregnant. Well, now she can't do anything, telling people she's gonna get the doc to write her a "light duty" note. Unfuckinreal. There is nothing wrong with her, she's just lazy. Wrong place to be a slacker. I worked with someone like this in a nursing home once, the second she found out, she couldn't do any lifting. Fuckin idiots.

I understand your frustration, but pregnant ladies really do have to watch how much they lift. the ones that try to be f@#king super-pregos are only setting themselves up for a harder pregnancy in the end.
  • It sucks that you have to pick up the slack - I feel for you. It think the main frustration is Lazy People. Pregnancy didn't change this person, it just gave her a convenient excuse, and once that Doctor writes her a note, there is nothing that you or the Management can do about it. That's going to happen. There are lazy people everywhere and we just have to deal with them.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Nobody is telling her she can't do anything. She's lazy and this is just an excuse to not have to work. Any doctor will tell you, with a normal pregnancy, you have no restrictions on what you can do.

Really??? The doc told my wife not to lift more than the weight of our child(20lbs or so), for her pregnancy. And that was b/c he realized it's pretty unavoidable to pick up a child that age.
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    It sucks that you have to pick up the slack - I feel for you. It think the main frustration is Lazy People. Pregnancy didn't change this person, it just gave her a convenient excuse, and once that Doctor writes her a note, there is nothing that you or the Management can do about it. That's going to happen. There are lazy people everywhere and we just have to deal with them.

Agreed....
    I know purp - and from what I know of her? this is the issue she has with this co-worker. The co-worker is already lazy, add pregnancy and she's got the perfect "excuse" to get out of work. I get the lawsuits, taking care of yourself and your unborn child. But lazy people suck....and it sucks having to pick up their slack, not matter what the reason. If this co-worker busted her ass as a teammate but her doctor wanted her on light duty because of pregnancy? I'm willing to bet purp's opinion would be different.

Opinions (medical and personal) vary just like pregnancies. I know of too many women who legitimately were bed-ridden because of a high risk pregnancy and just as many who milked their "disability". Opposite of that, I know plenty who worked out until the day before their child was born....one in a spinning class, no less. I'm an equestrian and know women who rode their horse through 8 months of pregnancy, others who stopped riding earlier than that of their own decision. Almost all of them still shoveled their horses' stalls and cared for their animals until delivery.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • It sucks that you have to pick up the slack - I feel for you. It think the main frustration is Lazy People. Pregnancy didn't change this person, it just gave her a convenient excuse, and once that Doctor writes her a note, there is nothing that you or the Management can do about it. That's going to happen. There are lazy people everywhere and we just have to deal with them.

Fuckin A! This is what I've been trying to say the whole time!
    Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
    ~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • Whizbang wrote:
    It sucks that you have to pick up the slack - I feel for you. It think the main frustration is Lazy People. Pregnancy didn't change this person, it just gave her a convenient excuse, and once that Doctor writes her a note, there is nothing that you or the Management can do about it. That's going to happen. There are lazy people everywhere and we just have to deal with them.

Agreed....
    I know purp - and from what I know of her? this is the issue she has with this co-worker. The co-worker is already lazy, add pregnancy and she's got the perfect "excuse" to get out of work. I get the lawsuits, taking care of yourself and your unborn child. But lazy people suck....and it sucks having to pick up their slack, not matter what the reason. If this co-worker busted her ass as a teammate but her doctor wanted her on light duty because of pregnancy? I'm willing to bet purp's opinion would be different.

Opinions (medical and personal) vary just like pregnancies. I know of too many women who legitimately were bed-ridden because of a high risk pregnancy and just as many who milked their "disability". Opposite of that, I know plenty who worked out until the day before their child was born....one in a spinning class, no less. I'm an equestrian and know women who rode their horse through 8 months of pregnancy, others who stopped riding earlier than that of their own decision. Almost all of them still shoveled their horses' stalls and cared for their animals until delivery.

Dude, you ROCK!!

Nobody listens. I guess I'm just an uncaring, heartless bitch.

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • scb wrote:

Hell, maybe they're both knocked up & have herpes. We'll never know. ;)

That's hilarious. I've been checked for anything from the herp to birth defects. I have gestational diabetes. Maybe I should get a doctors note. :roll:

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • GTFLYGIRL wrote:

yeah... possibly... but it also sounds like she really dislikes and judges this woman for other reasons...
    she is still screwing the guy who not only knocked her up, but gave her chlamydia and herpes........and she's worried about having to do a little work?

When a person tells their buisness, they leave themselves open for judgement. I don't care what STD's she may or may not have. But the fact that she's so "worried" about having to do a little work blows my mind when she could give her unborn child a sickness from an STD. If you really can't see that, then you are blind. I do not dislike this person, I just have a hard time believing she really needs a doctors note.

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
    Whizbang wrote:

Agreed....

Dude, you ROCK!!

Nobody listens. I guess I'm just an uncaring, heartless bitch.

but this is why I love you!
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

GTFLYGIRL wrote:

When a person tells their buisness, they leave themselves open for judgement.

Just because someone may have the right to judge, doesn't mean they're not being an "uncaring, heartless bitch" (to quote you) when they do.
    I don't care what STD's she may or may not have. But the fact that she's so "worried" about having to do a little work blows my mind when she could give her unborn child a sickness from an STD. If you really can't see that, then you are blind. I do not dislike this person, I just have a hard time believing she really needs a doctors note.

Well we know she's not going to give her unborn child chlamydia because that's treatable with antibiotics. She probably doesn't even have it anymore, so there goes that concern.

She could give her child herpes if she has an outbreak during childbirth. (Of course, if that were the case, they'd probably do a c-section, which causes increased risk of other things but makes it very unlikely that she could give her child herpes.) Herpes outbreaks are more likely to occur when someone is under stress. So if, as you suggest, she should be more concerned with not giving her kid an STD, then she SHOULD be avoiding stressful situations (like being overworked).

I'm pretty sure both of your pregnancies would benefit from both of you avoiding stressful situations (like needless, childish bickering).
  • A friend of mine works for social security. You wouldn't believe how many people come in there and actually try to file for disability because they are pregnant. Not if you don't plan on it lasting over a year you aren't. :lol:
  • I don't care what STD's she may or may not have. But the fact that she's so "worried" about having to do a little work blows my mind when she could give her unborn child a sickness from an STD. If you really can't see that, then you are blind. I do not dislike this person, I just have a hard time believing she really needs a doctors note.

Well we know she's not going to give her unborn child chlamydia because that's treatable with antibiotics. She probably doesn't even have it anymore, so there goes that concern.

She could give her child herpes if she has an outbreak during childbirth. (Of course, if that were the case, they'd probably do a c-section, which causes increased risk of other things but makes it very unlikely that she could give her child herpes.) Herpes outbreaks are more likely to occur when someone is under stress. So if, as you suggest, she should be more concerned with not giving her kid an STD, then she SHOULD be avoiding stressful situations (like being overworked).

I'm pretty sure both of your pregnancies would benefit from both of you avoiding stressful situations (like needless, childish bickering).[/quote]

First, who said anyone was bickering? Not I. Second, so to avoid a herpes outbreak, she shouldn't work? Let me remind that I never said anyone is overworked. I work in a unit with 15 beds, not that big. They are not full at all times. Trust me sweetie, it isn't to much work. It isn't to much to ask to check on patients who are screaming, give report on who you took care of and do the end of shift walking rounds. IF that is being overworked, perhaps she should get a note. So, it's OK to not to expect her to do the tasks of her job? It's OK for ME to pick up the slack? I think not. It won't happen. If she doesn't get a note, she will find her ass out the door soon enough, if she doesn't quit before that. What you are NOT understanding, is that there ARE women out there, that the second they find out they are pregnant, they can't do anything. This is not the right field to have that attitude. Your sick patients suffer first and formost, and coworkers suffer from having to pick up the slack....oh yeah, and that also goes back to patients sufferering because 1 person is trying to do the work of 2 and people aren't getting the care they need.

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I have three kids and I have learned 1 thing.....don't argue with a pregnant chick. You won't win that fight.

So with both of you being pregnant...I say you are both right and let me know if you need ice cream.

You are so, so, SO right. I am weeks away from being a dad for the second time and my wife is always right (even when she's wrong :lol: ) I tend to just ignore her rather than argue with her. It's not worth the stress.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    I have three kids and I have learned 1 thing.....don't argue with a pregnant chick. You won't win that fight.

So with both of you being pregnant...I say you are both right and let me know if you need ice cream.

You are so, so, SO right. I am weeks away from being a dad for the second time and my wife is always right (even when she's wrong :lol: ) I tend to just ignore her rather than argue with her. It's not worth the stress.

hehehe!!!!

• JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    ...Any doctor will tell you, with a normal pregnancy, you have no restrictions on what you can do.

That is simply not true. A few people already posted about the dangers of heavy lifting while pregnant.

Anyway, on to my personal story. My wife is currently 3 months pregnant, but when she was carrying our 1st child she worked at a school and group home as a teacher/counselor for emotionally disturbed and behaviorally challenged teenagers. Delaware is one of the only states that still allows physical restraints, so when a kid was exuding self-injurious behavior or was a threat to another studuent or staff member, they would get 'wrapped up' and restrained to a mat on the floor (similar to what you may see on the show Cops).

Well, breaking up fights between teenage boys and girls and physically restraining mentally challenged teenagers is very dangerous and is not safe work for a pregnant woman. My wife had been bitten, kicked, punched, you name it. Other staff members were hospitalized with concussions, broken bones, and serious injuries. Am I okay with my wife working in this environment and being kicked in the stomach, possibly risking injury to my unborn child? H-E-L-L N-O! So, I convinced her to get a doctor's note to be on light duty (ie, no physical restraints or breaking up fights) until our child was born. She still continued to teach and she worked until the week before our child was born.

Now, to say my wife is the least lazy person I've ever met is a gross understatement. She is an absolute machine. She always has to be doing something and is unable to just sit still. And her tireless work ethic carried over to her job, where she was recognized year after year as one of the top staff members at the school. My wife did not get preferential treatment because she was unwilling to do the physical work, she had to stop doing some of it because it was just too dangerous.

To me, you are generalizing when you say pregnancy is not a disability. Sure, some people take advantage of the system and that sucks. But others have legitimate and justifiable reasons to be on light duty. Like racism, you don't judge a group of people by the actions of a few. I think the same applies here.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    JD Sal wrote:
    ...Any doctor will tell you, with a normal pregnancy, you have no restrictions on what you can do.

Anyway, on to my personal story. My wife is currently 3 months pregnant, but when she was carrying our 1st child she worked at a school and group home as a teacher/counselor for emotionally disturbed and behaviorally challenged teenagers. Delaware is one of the only states that still allows physical restraints, so when a kid was exuding self-injurious behavior or was a threat to another studuent or staff member, they would get 'wrapped up' and restrained to a mat on the floor (similar to what you may see on the show Cops).

Well, breaking up fights between teenage boys and girls and physically restraining mentally challenged teenagers is very dangerous and is not safe work for a pregnant woman. My wife had been bitten, kicked, punched, you name it. Other staff members were hospitalized with concussions, broken bones, and serious injuries.
    Am I okay with my wife working in this environment and being kicked in the stomach, possibly risking injury to my unborn child? H-E-L-L N-O! So, I convinced her to get a doctor's note to be on light duty (ie, no physical restraints or breaking up fights) until our child was born. She still continued to teach and she worked until the week before our child was born.

Fuck they should have tasers to deal with that shit!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Sorry... I thought preggers people weren't supposed to lift things?
    if they are by themselves, I always offer to carry pregnant women's post office parcels out to their car even if there is a line up...

my boyfriend is a nurse and said no one is allowed to lift a patient without the use of the machine or some sort of device, for the sake of the patient and the nurse - and the hospital should there be any lawsuits...

as for the girl, i would understand there are things she couldn't do, but if she was taking advantage of that i'd be frustrated. unfortunately, some people DO take advantage of such systems but what can you do?
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    speaking of lazy, why don't posters put all the information in the original post?

ya know, instead of getting pissed off and defensive at peoples replies, and then adding tidbits of information along the way that might have helped the original argument from being torn apart?
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • I'm 7 months pregnant and recently started having a problem with my sacroiliac joint, so my dr. wrote a note stating I shouldn't be working anymore. I'm glad that I won't be working because I am in so much pain, but I'm also very sad to not work. I love my job & all the people I work with, not to mention I'm the financial provider for my family. Now, I'll be receiving state disability, which equals less than half of what I earn while I'm working. I hate feeling like I can't do anything. :(
    So, in answer to the thread title... Pregnancy can lead to disability.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • JD Sal wrote:

To me, you are generalizing when you say pregnancy is not a disability. Sure, some people take advantage of the system and that sucks. But others have legitimate and justifiable reasons to be on light duty. Like racism, you don't judge a group of people by the actions of a few. I think the same applies here.

thank you. thank you. thank you.
  • Some people don't know how to read....so read my above post.

And thank you to who said you are not allowed to lift without a mechanical lift, you are correct! So, very rarely is there any lifting. Some patients can't be put in a lift and that's life.

Light duty in a hospital is very restricting. Basically, you do nothing.

She was lazy to start, so now she's back on orientation.

I understand pregnancy can LEAD to disabilty, sorry to hear about that poster, but it ISN'T one. And I guess my doctor is wrong, hell, he's only been an OB for 30 years...what does he know.

Oh, and to the poster who's wife works with ther kids, I can related. If someone here is comabtive, I tend to stay away. But it doesn't mean I can't do other aspects of my job.

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
    And I guess my doctor is wrong, hell, he's only been an OB for 30 years...what does he know.

Your doctor knows better than to generalize. Your doctor would not say that what applies to your situation necessarily applies to everyone else's situation. Your doctor has not provided his professional medical opinion about your co-worker and would not approve of your implication that he has. Yes, your doctor knows a lot. Your doctor is not wrong. It's your twisting of your doctor's words that is wrong.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Oh, may I also add that she still smokes and is still screwing the guy who not only knocked her up, but gave her chlamydia and herpes........and she's worried about having to do a little work?

:roll:

Obviously a perfect example of why some people should be kept from reproducing.

Stupid people should be sterilised :evil:
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Doctor's normally tell pregnant women that they can continue to do whatever they were doing, since it is things they are use to. Of course, even then, some things cannot be done.
    I can't think of all now. I know pregnant women need to watch how hot their bath water is, too hot can be harmful. They cannot use tanning salons either. Some, especially those with a history of miscarraiges have to watch how much weight they lift, among other things. Some end up on complete bed rest. For a woman like that, I call it a disability.
    If you don't have all the facts, don't jump to conclusions.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    I'm 7 months pregnant and recently started having a problem with my sacroiliac joint, so my dr. wrote a note stating I shouldn't be working anymore. I'm glad that I won't be working because I am in so much pain, but I'm also very sad to not work. I love my job & all the people I work with, not to mention I'm the financial provider for my family. Now, I'll be receiving state disability, which equals less than half of what I earn while I'm working. I hate feeling like I can't do anything. :(
    So, in answer to the thread title... Pregnancy can lead to disability.
    See..thats to the person who said its not a disability.
    I hope you well. I hope you have a healthy happy little bundle of joy!
    Sorry you had to leave your job, though.
    Save room for dessert!