Being pregnant is NOT a disability!

purple_chick79purple_chick79 Posts: 570
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Soooo, this new girl started where I work (geriactric psych unit in a hospital) and not long after she found out she's pregnant. Well, now she can't do anything, telling people she's gonna get the doc to write her a "light duty" note. Unfuckinreal. There is nothing wrong with her, she's just lazy. Wrong place to be a slacker. I worked with someone like this in a nursing home once, the second she found out, she couldn't do any lifting. Fuckin idiots.
Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    my mom was recently in a nursing home for a week, prior to that, a regular hospital.
    she's very obese. in both facilities, several nurses refused to lift her even with the buddy system.
    sometimes a crane was used. some said they had a bad back.
    often they used a thing on their back like a weight lifter.
    but sometimes two nurses heaved her into the wheel chair.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    No it's not a disability, but if she did anything even mildly strenuos i.e. move a patient then coincidently started to bleed, it would leave your employers wide open for litigation. I work for the NHS and these days every single thing is risk assessed under the guise of protecting employees, but basically it is done to protect the employer from being sued. If they have told you not to do something and you do it, on your own head be it.

Unfortunately it's the way things are now and we just have to get on with it.
  • iluvcats wrote:
    my mom was recently in a nursing home for a week, prior to that, a regular hospital.
    she's very obese. in both facilities, several nurses refused to lift her even with the buddy system.
    sometimes a crane was used. some said they had a bad back.
    often they used a thing on their back like a weight lifter.
    but sometimes two nurses heaved her into the wheel chair.

Nobody should be lifted if a mechanical lift can be used. That is for the safety of the patient as well as staff. Nursing assistants have the most back injuries of any profession....but telling your mom they had a bad back is a unacceptable. That thing they were wearing is just a back brace, pretty useless, I've used them.

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • Claireack wrote:
    No it's not a disability, but if she did anything even mildly strenuos i.e. move a patient then coincidently started to bleed, it would leave your employers wide open for litigation. I work for the NHS and these days every single thing is risk assessed under the guise of protecting employees, but basically it is done to protect the employer from being sued. If they have told you not to do something and you do it, on your own head be it.

Nobody is telling her she can't do anything. She's lazy and this is just an excuse to not have to work. Any doctor will tell you, with a normal pregnancy, you have no restrictions on what you can do.

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Actually it can be a covered disability under the Americans with Disability Act if the pregnancy is a difficult one limiting their major life functions.

Now to the extent you are talking about it probably is not.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Claireack wrote:

Nobody is telling her she can't do anything. She's lazy and this is just an excuse to not have to work. Any doctor will tell you, with a normal pregnancy, you have no restrictions on what you can do.

Being pregnant is SOMETHING not nothing. It's a strange world that we live in that people don't appreciate the strain that pregnancy puts on a woman's body AND the stress it causes the baby inside when the mother is trying to work up until she delivers the baby.

Try to bring some of the compassion you must have to work in a facility such as the one you mention and direct it towards this woman who is having to work a strenuous job that involves lifting and be pregnant at the same time.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    justam wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

Being pregnant is SOMETHING not nothing. It's a strange world that we live in that people don't appreciate the strain that pregnancy puts on a woman's body AND the stress it causes the baby inside when the mother is trying to work up until she delivers the baby.

Try to bring some of the compassion you must have to work in a facility such as the one you mention and direct it towards this woman who is having to work a strenuous job that involves lifting and be pregnant at the same time.

I agree 100%. I work in human resources and here we have many pregnancies in our organization and it can be very dangerous for a pregnant woman to lift or over exert oneself. I'm sure there are light duty things that she can do in the meantime though.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I completely agree that being pregnant should not automatically be considered a disability.

But I'm wondering: how do you have enough insight into this particular woman's medical situation to be able to judge better than her and her doctor?
  • The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

* If an employee is temporarily unable to perform her job because of her pregnancy, the employer must treat her the same as any other temporarily disabled employee. For example, if the employer allows temporarily disabled employees to modify tasks, perform alternative assignments, or take disability leave or leave without pay, the employer also must allow an employee who is temporarily disabled because of pregnancy to do the same.

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/fs-preg.html
    From the American College of Obstetrics & Gynecology's Committee Opinion on Exercise During Pregnancy and the Postpartum Period (Number 267, January 2002):

"It has been reported that pregnant women whose occupations require standing or repetitive, strenuous, physical work (eg, lifting) have a tendency to deliver earlier and have small-for-gestational-age infants."
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I wouldn't consider it a disability...but I think she has a right to not perform strenuous activity while being pregnant.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    My wife is 3 weeks away from her due date and still won't sit still. Last week, against my wishes, she grabs a shovel and starts shoveling snow. I made her stop but she argued for a few. With my son 2 years ago she was wielding a leafblower 5 days before she gave birth. She just doesn't stop. She always says to me, "I'm pregnant, not crippled."
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I hate lazy people in the workplace.
  • Oh, may I also add that she still smokes and is still screwing the guy who not only knocked her up, but gave her chlamydia and herpes........and she's worried about having to do a little work?

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Oh, may I also add that she still smokes and is still screwing the guy who not only knocked her up, but gave her chlamydia and herpes........and she's worried about having to do a little work?

Wow. Sounds like a good reality show. :lol:
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Oh, may I also add that she still smokes and is still screwing the guy who not only knocked her up, but gave her chlamydia and herpes........and she's worried about having to do a little work?

:roll:

Obviously a perfect example of why some people should be kept from reproducing.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Ya know, I am frustrated because she ditched outta work 20 minutes before shift was over, I was busy with a patient, we have to do walking rounds and a shift report, which she didn't bother to do, she just bolted! But I AM SUPPOSED TO HAVE COMPASSION WHEN I MYSELF AM 6 MONTHS ALONG!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Just goes to show how READY people on this bbs are to jump down the throat of someone who has a different opinion than what might be deemed as "PC".

For the record, my DOCTOR said its not a disability and working where I work is just fine. May I also add that I got socked in the eye by a demented patient, who come to find out is the father of one of my mans friends. So, when I say this chick CAN work, I am NOT assuming anything.

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06

How is this relevant to her job or any of your business???? :? :roll:

And why wouldn't she continue to have a relationship with the father of her child? Did your mother not continue to screw your father after he knocked her up? If your co-worker got pregnant and then broke it off with him, you'd probably be trying to use that against her too.

Geez Louise! Where's the empathy for our fellow human beings these days? :(
    Ya know, I am frustrated because she ditched outta work 20 minutes before shift was over, I was busy with a patient, we have to do walking rounds and a shift report, which she didn't bother to do, she just bolted! But I AM SUPPOSED TO HAVE COMPASSION WHEN I MYSELF AM 6 MONTHS ALONG!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Just goes to show how READY people on this bbs are to jump down the throat of someone who has a different opinion than what might be deemed as "PC".

For the record, my DOCTOR said its not a disability and working where I work is just fine. May I also add that I got socked in the eye by a demented patient, who come to find out is the father of one of my mans friends. So, when I say this chick CAN work, I am NOT assuming anything.

Maybe she had to go puke. You don't know. Not all pregnancies are just alike, so I still don't see why you think it's reasonable to judge her situation based on your own - and that has nothing to do with being PC. Again, you don't know all the details of her medical situation.

Sorry if you're getting screwed at work though. Good luck to both of you.
  • scb wrote:
    Ya know, I am frustrated because she ditched outta work 20 minutes before shift was over, I was busy with a patient, we have to do walking rounds and a shift report, which she didn't bother to do, she just bolted! But I AM SUPPOSED TO HAVE COMPASSION WHEN I MYSELF AM 6 MONTHS ALONG!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Just goes to show how READY people on this bbs are to jump down the throat of someone who has a different opinion than what might be deemed as "PC".

Maybe she had to go puke. You don't know. Not all pregnancies are just alike, so I still don't see why you think it's reasonable to judge her situation based on your own - and that has nothing to do with being PC. Again, you don't know all the details of her medical situation.

Sorry if you're getting screwed at work though. Good luck to both of you.

I am very aware that not all pregnancies are the same, but thanks for clearing that up anyway. Yes, my parents still fucked while pregnant and I still fuck, but when someone tells you they don't wanna be with you, then you get pregnant, he tells you he don't want it and you still fuck the dude?!?! This isn't ME making it up, I am posting what I was told. OH and my POINT??? She's worried about a little bit of work, yet risks her unborn childs health by fuckin a guy who's already given her STD's. If nobody can see that point, then people here are high and mighter than I thought.

Its not about getting screwed at work, its about actually doing what your supposed to do and not acting like your disabled when your not. If she can't do this work while 2 month pregnant, then quit, because we don't have many people at a time that require heavy lifting.

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
    I am very aware that not all pregnancies are the same, but thanks for clearing that up anyway. Yes, my parents still fucked while pregnant and I still fuck, but when someone tells you they don't wanna be with you, then you get pregnant, he tells you he don't want it and you still fuck the dude?!?! This isn't ME making it up, I am posting what I was told. OH and my POINT??? She's worried about a little bit of work, yet risks her unborn childs health by fuckin a guy who's already given her STD's. If nobody can see that point, then people here are high and mighter than I thought.

Its not about getting screwed at work, its about actually doing what your supposed to do and not acting like your disabled when your not. If she can't do this work while 2 month pregnant, then quit, because we don't have many people at a time that require heavy lifting.

The part I underlined above is a stretch, but whatever.

The bottom line is that you don't know her situation, you shouldn't judge (or act "high & mighty"), and her personal life and medical issues are none of your business.
  • If this girl didn't want people to be in her buisness, she shoulda kept her her buisness to herself. I am not acting high and mighty, I'm sick of people playing the system.

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • If this girl didn't want people to be in her buisness, she shoulda kept her her buisness to herself. I am not acting high and mighty, I'm sick of people playing the system.

whatever. get over it. sounds like she's pregnant and worried about miscarrying. and btw. for the record. all this misplaced anger (i.e ranting that she got std's from her boyfriend) cant be good for your unborn baby... 8-)
  • GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    If this girl didn't want people to be in her buisness, she shoulda kept her her buisness to herself. I am not acting high and mighty, I'm sick of people playing the system.

whatever. get over it. sounds like she's pregnant and worried about miscarrying. and btw. for the record. all this misplaced anger (i.e ranting that she got std's from her boyfriend) cant be good for your unborn baby... 8-)

Hey, guess what? I worry about miscarriage from time to time, but I'm not gonna let that stop me from living life and providing for my son.

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    If this girl didn't want people to be in her buisness, she shoulda kept her her buisness to herself. I am not acting high and mighty, I'm sick of people playing the system.

Hey, guess what? I worry about miscarriage from time to time, but I'm not gonna let that stop me from living life and providing for my son.

i guess everyone is different. mentally and physically. she doesnt want her fear of miscarriage to stop her from providing for her child either... hence the fact that she is going to speak to her doctor about getting put on light duty. :shock:
  • I have three kids and I have learned 1 thing.....don't argue with a pregnant chick. You won't win that fight.

So with both of you being pregnant...I say you are both right and let me know if you need ice cream.
  • I have three kids and I have learned 1 thing.....don't argue with a pregnant chick. You won't win that fight.

So with both of you being pregnant...I say you are both right and let me know if you need ice cream.

Mmmmmmmmm ice cream!

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • Does nobody listen? She was a lazy shit to begin with and now its "I can't answer a call bell". If she were having a rough time, she would let everyone know....I guess no one can fathom that a woman would use a pregnancy as an excuse to not do their job. There is also no medical reason to be on light duty especially at 8 weeks....I asked my OB about it because I wasn't sure months ago. The human body is an amazing thing.

I'm not surprised by reactions on here....not in the least.

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
    Some people really never cease to amaze me. :(
  • Does nobody listen? She was a lazy shit to begin with and now its "I can't answer a call bell". If she were having a rough time, she would let everyone know....I guess no one can fathom that a woman would use a pregnancy as an excuse to not do their job. There is also no medical reason to be on light duty especially at 8 weeks....I asked my OB about it because I wasn't sure months ago. The human body is an amazing thing.

I'm not surprised by reactions on here....not in the least.

i don't know but if your pregnant your location is a bit of a turn off.

:lol:

just saying.