The change in Eddie's voice

Comments

• Right...

Shouldn't you be trolling the Vs. sheep thread?
  • it's called diaphragmatic breath control. He learned it.

He can hold notes a lot longer. He can reach higher and lower.
    He can growl better. Gems and Rhinestones.

'tis a richer version nowadays.
    WOOT!
  • it's called diaphragmatic breath control. He learned it.

I totally disagree. Give me an example of a song he growls better in now than he did back then.

and obviously he can get lower...seeing as your voice deepens as you get older.
  • agreed LeatherMandi. Eddie's voice is different now. No doubt. But I find it hard to believe that a vocal style that has adapted, matured and yes, changed over the course of one of the most remarkable careers in music history could be degraded. I love Eddie's early 90's voice-- but there is something about the raw, sratchy style of No Code and beyond that is just so musically original.

That being said, amen Love Reign O'er Me.

And how about In Hiding, Amongst The Waves, Crazy Mary (live), Just Breath.

Just because its not the same, doesn't mean its not as a good.

I love Eddie Vedder!
  • Yes it has changed and I think it sounds better then ever. 8-)
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    it's called diaphragmatic breath control. He learned it.

The part where you mentioned hold notes a lot longer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but "Black" from MSG 1 in 2003 where he holds that note in the lines "...Tatooed all I see/All I am/All I'll beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...HOLY SHIT! I thought that was best thing I've heard in Black since Unplugged. That's one of the reasons why I love his voice now.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • craigb wrote:
    bettielee wrote:
    I still think he has the most amazing voice in all of rockdom.

Amen. :thumbup:

amen and then some. i love how his voice has matured; it has gained so much depth and character. his voice has suited him through every "era" i think. one of the many things that draws so many people to these guys is that they've never been, and never will be, anything but themselves, take it or leave it. why try to do your 25 year old voice when you're 45 (almost ;-) )? if you do, that's exactly how it will sound - forced. sing your 45 year old ass off in the voice you've gained from 20 years of living life. the passion and intensity come through regardless. he sounded amazing and spot on in philly. i fell in love with those pipes all over again that night. and when he pulls out the growling, screaming, raspy, sexy, whatever you call it, it rocks even harder now, because his voice is always in the present tense. :thumbup:
  • Well, I've just listened to my Brisbane boot, and have to say Ed's voice was amazing. I don't know if it was because he was still recovering from the flu, but there was a really special quality to it.

He also managed a mini-growl in the first line of Got Some.

Can't we all just agree he is a man of many talents, and that's why we all love him?
    If I knew then, would I know now?

* Perth Entertainment Centre - Mar 06, 1995
    * Melbourne Park - Mar 02, 1998
    * Brisbane QSAC- Nov 25, 2009
    * EV Solo- QPAC- March 10, 12 and 13 2011

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775

this performance makes me cringe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0fFOfoPrsk&fmt=18

fuck, i couldn't make it through that!

• this performance makes me cringe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0fFOfoPrsk&fmt=18

about a week and a half before that, he had a flu which then turned into strep throat.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    his voice was short in the mid 90s i think but its effective and different them, works nicely in some songs for sure... its been great, smooth and melodic since then. I just love his 00 voice though.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Jennytree wrote:
    Does anyone sound the same after 20-odd years?

Thurston Moore, Stephen Malkmus, Mike Ness, Rivers Cuomo, Billie Joe Armstrong, J. Mascis
    to add to that....Geddy Lee, Bruce Dickinson, Lemmy Kilmister, Chuck Billy (for the most part)

Yes but anybody can sing like them. Nobody pushes a voice and brings it every night like Ed.
    Newch91 wrote:
    it's called diaphragmatic breath control. He learned it.

The part where you mentioned hold notes a lot longer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but "Black" from MSG 1 in 2003 where he holds that note in the lines "...Tatooed all I see/All I am/All I'll beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...HOLY SHIT! I thought that was best thing I've heard in Black since Unplugged. That's one of the reasons why I love his voice now.

And Melbourne 09 he held that forever.......

I am shocked his voice has changed from 24 to 44. ~sarcasm~

He had MANY off nights in the early days. Its just that we have boots from every show now and are little insane in dissecting and overanalyzing now.

In my 13 shows seen I have yet to be disappointed.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Around '95-'96 or so it changed for the better. '03 changed for the worse.
    This last tour was pretty rough.

I still think Ed sounds incredible, but hearing (and watching) the strain he goes through is pretty rough.
    Many cringe-moments during that last tour!

Perfect example. Austin City Limits video. Some of those songs were ugly!

• this performance makes me cringe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0fFOfoPrsk&fmt=18

about a week and a half before that, he had a flu which then turned into strep throat.

i think it sounded great, it's obvious he had been sick, but i like the roughness. it looked painful for him but he eased into it and by the end sounded awesome, imho...

...or maybe i'm just biased towards the sleeves rolled up, sweat pouring, crazy intense eyes, neck-veins-popping ed with the sexiest voice in existence. that may be a factor in my judgement :P :clap:
  • If we want to go to PJ shows 10-20 years from now we should be really glad the voice and technique have changed, as well as the material.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    His voice was beautiful then and is even more beautiful now
    it reflects his soul and spirit and I embrace and welcome the changes he has gone through in this life.
    I've said it so many times, to me, his voice is the sound of heaven itself.
  • doompony wrote:
    i think he sounds farking amazing these days.. dunno what the crazies are on about. 4 words. love reign o'er me.

love reign o'er me. = Exactly.
    And if there's something you'd like to do. Oh, just let me continue to blame you.

EV Chi 1, 08/21/08
    EV Memphis, 06/20/09
  • 5against1-5against1- Posts: 1,101
    I love how all of you think you KNOW what happend to vedwards voice * rolls eyes*... Its called aging.. Also.. vedder himself said he hadn't really found his "voice" yet during the first two records... Very douchey thread to put on the porch (or anywhere for that matter)if you ask me... totally useless , uninformative and just rude.
    You seem like a real b*itch, just an observation
    This too shall pass.....
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Yeah I LOVE His voice now AND in the EARLY 90's ;)...BUT...Somewhere around '97-98'...I don't KNOW just didn't seem right for "ME"...It was LIKE HE was Singing with a 'CONSTANT' Cold!...Just a thought! :)
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    The Rock wrote:

1995 seems to be the year where Ed was intentionally trying to wreck his voice completely.

There are certain shows that most here consider classic - shows such as Pinkpop 1992 and Soldier Field 1995. Now, I know it can't just be me that listens to those shows and cringes a little. They might be classic because of the context of the era and the intensity of the band, but Ed sounds like hell for most of those shows.

I agree with 95' Eddie...HE Just seemed to ~SCREAM~ out Songs! Listen to 'Corduroy'...BUT!...I disagree with you in 92' Pinkpop and around THAT "ERA"...I thought he's VOICE Sounded *AMAZING* :)
  • I personally think the man should sing how ever he wants to sing, and if people quit liking it, they should quit listening. I certainly don't think any musician has a responsibility to "take care of their voice" for the fans, or continue to sing a certain way because people liked it 20 years ago. I really just think his voice is his voice and he ought to do with it as he chooses.
  • Eddie Vedder sounds just as good as he did 20 years ago, Eddie Vedder sounds even better.
    Nothing is better than Vedder!

Love Reign O'er Me.

Ever heard Eddie Vedder sing this before.

What a dumb fucking thread.

Go listen to Creed maybe they are more your taste.
  • pandora wrote:
    His voice was beautiful then and is even more beautiful now
    it reflects his soul and spirit and I embrace and welcome the changes he has gone through in this life.
    I've said it so many times, to me, his voice is the sound of heaven itself.

agreed...eddie's TONE rocks!!~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• I don't have a problem with Eddie changing his voice as long as it sounds good and workd with the songs. I love Riot Act and the way he "uses" his voice on those songs, really a unique album.

But I don't like his voice as much live anymore, the 09 Euro our or ACL sounded inferior to earlier years. And how he sang on Avocado didn't sound good, strained and bad.

Some songs still work, some don't.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Eddie Vedder sounds just as good as he did 20 years ago, Eddie Vedder sounds even better.

Love Reign O'er Me.

It's sheep like this that make me hate posting anything RELATIVELY "negative" in the fan parts of band message boards....ugh. :roll:
    Eddie Vedder sounds just as good as he did 20 years ago, Eddie Vedder sounds even better.

Love Reign O'er Me.

It's sheep like this that make me hate posting anything RELATIVELY "negative" in the fan parts of band message boards....ugh. :roll:

I prefer Ed's voice now, I guess I am a sheep.
  • I'm sure the hundreds (thousands?) of shows has something to do with it too.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    My only problem with his voice these days is how he sounds like he's struggling to hit some of the higher notes. His voice just sounds very tired, and ragged sometimes. It's not so much the change in technique and style I mind (Because I love his vocals on Yield, Binaural, etc), but I just wish his voice didn't sound so beat. And yes, Love, Reign O'er Me does kick ass.

And to whomever said he shouldn't have to take care of his voice, that's just ignorant. Does that mean Mike can go jam his hands down a garbage disposal since he's not obligated to take care of them? Eddie's voice is his tool, and he needs that tool to continue his trade, which he very obviously loves.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • eladdereladder Posts: 414
    ive attended a bunch of ed's solo shows and his voice felt like it was going through me during trouble, millworker, etc. its truly unreal. his voice may not have the raw power it did when they started but it remains undeniably amazing.
    He was ok but wondering about wandering