The change in Eddie's voice

PJamGrungeFanPJamGrungeFan Posts: 289
edited December 2009 in The Porch
So, as we know, when you compare Eddie's voice from 91-94 era to the years of 96 to whenever....it's just not the same. Still good, but not the same.

It came to my attention when listening to No Code earlier. "how can this be the same guy who sang Spin the Black Circle...or Jeremy, or Blood."

was his voice just totally blown out from previous years so he adapted a new singing style? was it smoking? drinking?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hangin out with neil young in 95 caused the late 90's change. Smoking and aging caused the 2000's change.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    smoking (BIG PART)
    drinking
    drugs (lets be honest here) in moderation???

and the biggest reason: getting older, your voice just gets deeper and you cannot do what you could when you were younger

coupled with over 20 years of singing, it is bound to sound different
  • I still think he has the most amazing voice in all of rockdom.
  • 'tis a shame he didn't take care of his voice over the years..
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    bettielee wrote:
    I still think he has the most amazing voice in all of rockdom.

Amen. :thumbup:
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • 'tis a shame he didn't take care of his voice over the years..

::shrug::, I don't think a lot of songs from No Code onward would have worked with the Morrison Howl.
  • True, but that howl was a Vedder trademark

this performance makes me cringe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0fFOfoPrsk&fmt=18
  • True, but that howl was a Vedder trademark

this performance makes me cringe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0fFOfoPrsk&fmt=18

good point, but that could bring up another reason. That the howl was such a trademark that it was becoming cliched and it was time to move on and disassociate himself from becoming pigeonheld to that sound.
  • Eh, I'd rather him be pigeonheld to that signature Vedder howl then to what he does now (overly shaky vocals)

Do you think he still has the ability to sing like he use to if he really tried? it'd be great for nostalgic purposes to hear Jeremy sung like it was in the early days! :mrgreen:
  • Aaron 23Aaron 23 Posts: 543
    Hmm...am I the only one that prefers his voice now to the way it used to be?

I wasn't a huge fan of his tone, before...seemed his higher notes (live) were all very rough and less controlled (IMO) when compared to the howls he puts out now.
  • Do you think he still has the ability to sing like he use to if he really tried? it'd be great for nostalgic purposes to hear Jeremy sung like it was in the early days! :mrgreen:

In the studio where has the opportunity to do multiple takes and then rest the vox afterwards.
  • Aaron 23 wrote:
    Hmm...am I the only one that prefers his voice now to the way it used to be?

I wasn't a huge fan of his tone, before...seemed his higher notes (live) were all very rough and less controlled (IMO) when compared to the howls he puts out now.

I agree, the howl was one dimensional. His new style gives more of a dynamic to his singing.
  • Aaron 23 wrote:
    seemed his higher notes (live) were all very rough and less controlled (IMO) when compared to the howls he puts out now.
    eh? he had his off nights (like he does today) but for the most part, he could bark those notes out with purpose.
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    i think he sounds farking amazing these days.. dunno what the crazies are on about. 4 words. love reign o'er me.
  • doompony wrote:
    i think he sounds farking amazing these days.. dunno what the crazies are on about. 4 words. love reign o'er me.
    Yes, that performance of LROM and TRM was unreal.

Now If only he could sing his own songs with that much power..
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Does anyone sound the same after 20-odd years?
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • I wasn't comparing his voice from 89 - 2009 :roll:

I was comparing it from 92/93 to the late 90's (96-99). believe it or not, yes, some singers maintain their singing style over the course of 4 years
  • i think part of it also was that he was just younger and crazier. now he realizes that he can sing instead of screaming like a mad man. with that being said i still like his early days voice better, especially with ten, vs, and vitalogy songs they perform live today. but the newer songs are more for his voice now anyway, screaming wouldnt fit and it just wouldnt be the same.
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
    MSG 1+2 '24
  • i think part of it also was that he was just younger and crazier. now he realizes that he can sing instead of screaming like a mad man. with that being said i still like his early days voice better, especially with ten, vs, and vitalogy songs they perform live today. but the newer songs are more for his voice now anyway, screaming wouldnt fit and it just wouldnt be the same.
    Well said ;)
  • Jennytree wrote:

Thurston Moore, Stephen Malkmus, Mike Ness, Rivers Cuomo, Billie Joe Armstrong, J. Mascis
  • PJamGrungeFanPJamGrungeFan Posts: 289
    edited December 2009
    Jennytree wrote:

Thurston Moore, Stephen Malkmus, Mike Ness, Rivers Cuomo, Billie Joe Armstrong, J. Mascis
    to add to that....Geddy Lee, Bruce Dickinson, Lemmy Kilmister, Chuck Billy (for the most part)
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,438
    The voice debate....it never ends.

His deep baritone from the ealy 90s was great on some songs, but Ed just couldn't control it during the live shows. 1991-1993 was pretty rough in terms of vocals a lot of the time because although Ed was super intense and in the moment he just wasn't paying attention to his singing. Some of it could be classed as just shouting.

He really learned how to control the deep howl in 1994, resulting in classic shows where he could sing and growl like a madman. However, by 94/95 it was becoming cliched and its clear he knew that something had to be done. 1995 seems to be the year where Ed was intentionally trying to wreck his voice completely.

In 1996 he calmed down and realised he could actually 'sing' which is were we heard the much softer tones come through which I personally love.

I remember reading an interview where Ed said that before 1996 he wasn't singing properly and that from 96-98 he took the time to actually learn how to sing.

His voice now is great. He has shaky moments and off nights, but so does every other singer in the world. Hearing songs like Jeremy is still a nostalgic experience because of where the song comes from in the band's career. It doesn't need to have Eddie trying to sound like he did in the 90s, that would be very sad.

There are certain shows that most here consider classic - shows such as Pinkpop 1992 and Soldier Field 1995. Now, I know it can't just be me that listens to those shows and cringes a little. They might be classic because of the context of the era and the intensity of the band, but Ed sounds like hell for most of those shows.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I wasn't comparing his voice from 89 - 2009 :roll:

I was comparing it from 92/93 to the late 90's (96-99). believe it or not, yes, some singers maintain their singing style over the course of 4 years
    He stopped forcing his voice. He sang with an odd style early on that became mimicked by others. He began to sing much more naturaly from No Code on. He also has much more range.
  • yeah i think ed's voice in the early days is amazing! dont get me wrong his voice now aint too shabby, but just not as good as the early days. imo
    28/10/96--29/10/96--29/5/00--30/5/00--3/6/00--4/6/00--6/6/00--25/8/06--27/8/06--13/6/07--18/6/07--11/8/09--13/8/09--15/8/09--17/8/09--18/8/09
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    I love how all of you think you KNOW what happend to vedwards voice * rolls eyes*... Its called aging.. Also.. vedder himself said he hadn't really found his "voice" yet during the first two records... Very douchey thread to put on the porch (or anywhere for that matter)if you ask me... totally useless , uninformative and just rude.
  • YukselYuksel Posts: 32
    Re: The change in Eddie's voice
    by PJamGrungeFan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Eh, I'd rather him be pigeonheld to that signature Vedder howl then to what he does now (overly shaky vocals)

Do you think he still has the ability to sing like he use to if he really tried? it'd be great for nostalgic purposes to hear Jeremy sung like it was in the early days!

I totally agree :mrgreen:
    I just want to scream, Hello!
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    i was listening to the auckland boot yesterday *swoon* and how anyone can listen to the way he sounds on just breathe and say he doesn't sound as good as he did in the early days is cuckoo bananas. it's beautiful and tender and rich and like a blanket. snuggletonny.
  • I love how all of you think you KNOW what happend to vedwards voice * rolls eyes*... Its called aging.. Also.. vedder himself said he hadn't really found his "voice" yet during the first two records... Very douchey thread to put on the porch (or anywhere for that matter)if you ask me... totally useless , uninformative and just rude.
    If anyone's being "douchey" in this thread, it's you. The porch is a place where we DISCUSS all things related to the band. If you don't like the subject matter of the topic, you don't have to respond.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    edited December 2009
    I love how all of you think you KNOW what happend to vedwards voice * rolls eyes*... Its called aging.. Also.. vedder himself said he hadn't really found his "voice" yet during the first two records... Very douchey thread to put on the porch (or anywhere for that matter)if you ask me... totally useless , uninformative and just rude.
    If anyone's being "douchey" in this thread, it's you. The porch is a place where we DISCUSS all things related to the band. If you don't like the subject matter of the topic, you don't have to respond.

yeah this whole thread has been a neutral discussion, no one gave any negative connotations to either side of his voice, only preferences.

Not to mention Leathermandi that your post is sort of contradictory in itself. You imply that we don't have the right to act as though we can give any input to his voice, but then your next sentences do nothing but give input on Vedder's voice.
    Post edited by mookeywrench on
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187

yeah since im the one offending someone who probably reads this board or at least gets wind of it.. I just don't get it.. like.. discussing eds voice is gonna bring back the version you like again? Just call me captain douche pants i guess... Just because your not saying something horrible doesnt mean it isn't offensive.. I mean if this was my voice you guys were discussing.. id be more than a lil upset.. thats all im saying..