Quality Beer Drinkers While Tailgating

13»

Comments

• BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Bells distribution is growing pretty fast...

http://www.bellsbeer.com/distributor.html
    Yeah, they just need to get in to NY. Could have bought some in PA, but could only find it at the beverage centers and you are stuck buying a 24 of the same kind (didn't have the variety pack). The state of PA has the most ridiculous beer distribution laws that I have ever come across.

I agree! You can buy a 6-pack at a bar but not at a "liquor distribution center" - bizarre! I still have half a case left from philly weekend.
    And most 6-pack places have terrible selection, not to mention they are difficult to find - aside local watering holes that really only have Miller Lite and Budweiser.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

PA is the absolute worst. It's all because we're a Commonwealth and the PLCB abides by antiquated laws that go back to before prohibition.

Did you hear of Blocktoberfest in Philly back in October? Bells was there along with a bunch of other awesome brews. Other than the rain, it was an awesome time.

I knew it had something to do with really old laws but didnt know exactly why. I remember when a bunch of us came down for the lacrosse final four before I moved here we ran out of beer on Sunday and it was an absolute pain in the ass for us to figure out where to buy beer.

It is really is annoying that aside from the foodery or a few small delis I am stuck buying cases and the hours of beer distributors are pretty terrible.

I don't think I did hear about that. Was it in N Libs? I know they had a pretty big block party a couple months ago and I think it rained then as well. That is pretty sweet though, would have liked to have went.

Nah, it was at 20th & Christian. Had bands and lunch trucks, which were awesome. Not a big fan of NoLibs. It's going to be the next Manayunk, and that will suck. My favorite thing about that area is Silk City.

Yeah, I've got this Pizza joint near me called Omega at 22nd & South. AWESOME beer selection. They let you mix your own 6 packs. For cases I usually go down to Bella Vista down on 11th and Catharine.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

PA is the absolute worst. It's all because we're a Commonwealth and the PLCB abides by antiquated laws that go back to before prohibition.

Did you hear of Blocktoberfest in Philly back in October? Bells was there along with a bunch of other awesome brews. Other than the rain, it was an awesome time.

I knew it had something to do with really old laws but didnt know exactly why. I remember when a bunch of us came down for the lacrosse final four before I moved here we ran out of beer on Sunday and it was an absolute pain in the ass for us to figure out where to buy beer.

It is really is annoying that aside from the foodery or a few small delis I am stuck buying cases and the hours of beer distributors are pretty terrible.

I don't think I did hear about that. Was it in N Libs? I know they had a pretty big block party a couple months ago and I think it rained then as well. That is pretty sweet though, would have liked to have went.

Nah, it was at 20th & Christian. Had bands and lunch trucks, which were awesome. Not a big fan of NoLibs. It's going to be the next Manayunk, and that will suck. My favorite thing about that area is Silk City.

Yeah, I've got this Pizza joint near me called Omega at 22nd & South. AWESOME beer selection. They let you mix your own 6 packs. For cases I usually go down to Bella Vista down on 11th and Catharine.

Definitely didnt hear about that. That is cool, wish I knew about it, definitely would have it hit up. It will be awful in Manayunk. Not my crowd.

Silk city is a good spot, my girlfriend used to work at Liberties on sundays so I would hang out there all day and watch football, not a huge fan of that area either though. Too many new condos and way overpriced

I like the Bella Vista store, I am at 2nd and Christian so I go there fairly often.

I think I have heard of that Pizza place, have a friend that lived over there and would always talk about it.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Definitely didnt hear about that. That is cool, wish I knew about it, definitely would have it hit up. It will be awful in Manayunk. Not my crowd.

Silk city is a good spot, my girlfriend used to work at Liberties on sundays so I would hang out there all day and watch football, not a huge fan of that area either though. Too many new condos and way overpriced

I like the Bella Vista store, I am at 2nd and Christian so I go there fairly often.

I think I have heard of that Pizza place, have a friend that lived over there and would always talk about it.

Oh, you're down there eh? Nice. I'm assuming you hit up Pete's Sake frequently? Love that place. Food's always good. And the whiskeys....ohhhh the whiskeys.
    Oh, you're down there eh? Nice. I'm assuming you hit up Pete's Sake frequently? Love that place. Food's always good. And the whiskeys....ohhhh the whiskeys.

yeah the first couple years I lived in Old City at 2nd and Arch then got sick of it an moved down there. I like the neighborhood a lot.

For Pete's Sake is probably my favorite bar in the city. Great whiskeys and always top notch beer selection. The food is legit as well. I think I have had everything on the menu a number of times.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

yeah the first couple years I lived in Old City at 2nd and Arch then got sick of it an moved down there. I like the neighborhood a lot.

For Pete's Sake is probably my favorite bar in the city. Great whiskeys and always top notch beer selection. The food is legit as well. I think I have had everything on the menu a number of times.

Awesome. Love that place - usually go there on Sundays after Phils games. They're real sticklers about that 5 o'clock cut off for lunch. I LOVE their tuna tacos, and it was 5:04. The broad was definitely not budging on letting me order from their lunch menu.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Awesome. Love that place - usually go there on Sundays after Phils games. They're real sticklers about that 5 o'clock cut off for lunch. I LOVE their tuna tacos, and it was 5:04. The broad was definitely not budging on letting me order from their lunch menu.

The tuna tacos are great, the pulled pork sandwich on the lunch menu is fucking delicious as well. A couple people that work there can be dicks about some shit but for the most part the staff is great.
  • Unfortunately I have attained a very expensive taste in beer. Life was so much simpler when it was Coors Light and even Heineken.

You're telling me.

3 beers cost me $240 last week.

Sam Adams Utopias and 2 bottles of Deus

I thought I was the only fool to spend so much on beers :lol:

I've spent over $400 in the past 14 days or so myself, including a bottle of Utopias. Just requested my free glass from Sam Adams last night.

I can get pretty much all of Sierra Nev here in MO too...got some Frambrozen in the fridge right now.

I am a self confessed "beer snob". I am often made fun of at tailgates for bringing high grade craft beer while friends consume macro swill. You should try Boulevard, esp the Smokestack Series. They have one that just made a reappearance called Bourbon Barrel Quad (BBQ) that is quite tasty if you're into barrel aged beers.
    Lolla St. Louis 92, StL 98, Kansas City 98, Knoxville 98, StL 00, Kansas City 00, Oklahoma City 03, StL 03, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Kansas City 03, Philly x 2 03, MSG x 2 03, StL 04, GR 06, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, SF x 3 06, Portland, Gorge x 2 06, MSG x 2 08, Hartford 08, Mansfield x 2 08
  • Diggy381Diggy381 Posts: 165
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Right now one of my favorites is anything from Ommegang Brewery, http://www.ommegang.com/, they make some great Belgian Ales. My favorite being Three Philosophers.

I am also into the Stone Brewery stuff. I had a 2008 bottle of Double Arrogant Bastard last night. Of course the Ruination IPA is the stuff of legends.

Unfortunately I have attained a very expensive taste in beer. Life was so much simpler when it was Coors Light and even Heineken.

Everything from Ommegang is outstanding. Hennepin, in my opinion is one of the best beers in the world.

I hear you on the expensive taste, I rarely walk out of the Foodery in Philadelphia spending under $60 or so.

I think I'm going up to Cooperstown this summer for the Ommegang beer festival. A buddy of mine did it last year. He volunteered, ended up pouring beers for people, while pouring some for himself for free and getting hammered. People got wasted and just passed out in the fields. I am looking forward to doing the same.
    Tread lightly my friend. I went this past year and really put the screws to myself. I was passed out in a tent by 7pm. I completely missed the bonfire and after dark festivities. Tons of very good but very strong beers. Definitely pace yourself. . .
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    edited December 2009
    don't get blitz but

this will def be needed while tailgating. so 10c make some! :mrgreen:

koozie3.jpg
    Post edited by blondieblue227 on
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Diggy381 wrote:
    I live in PA and I am a huge craft brew fan (Troegs, Lancaster Brewing Co., Magic Hat, Victory, etc.). Ommegang makes some very tasty Belgian brews. I suggest Rare Vos. Unfortunately they don't sell the Obamagang (which was fantastic) as it was only for a brew fest they had over the summer to which I got ridiculously tanked for.

I agree Troegs is one of the best craft brewers in the state! Love the Hopback and Nugget Nectar, very hoppy! Just tried the Victory Moon Glow, wow that has some kick to it, very high alcohol content.

But for tailgates I usually go with Miller Lites, more so to quench the thirst and get a slight buzz going. I get the good beers after the show when I want to talk about how great it was with a very tasty beer.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • My TOP pick is Duchesse De Bourgogne...excellent, excellent red flemish ale

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/641/1745
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • Get_Right wrote:
    nothing but sierra nevada's in my cooler

not quite sure if thats up to snuff tho

westchester county, ny

well, I'll get to the point actually for this thread:

I'm looking to try anything from the New Belgium Brewery, and they don't distribute to NJ or its surrounding states....

so if you live in the following:

AR, AZ, CA, CO, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, MN, MO, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, NV, OR, SC, SD, TN, TX, WA, WI, and WY

please send me a PM :)

I love the New Belgium Brews... Fat Tire has been a favorite for years!
    Try Spotted Cow from the New Glarus, WI brewery.
    http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/

I also love Homer Alaska- Old Inlet Pale Ale - Drank it at the Salty Dog in Homer on a fishing trip.
    They served the beer in recycled Sobe bottles- Great beer and Eco friendly! (Gotta trip to Alaska to drink it!)
  • Currently having a love affair with Fat Tire, Magic Hat (#9) & all of the Heavy Seas brews....delicious and not ridiculously expensive.
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • Bells IS THE BEST!!! Of the Bells seasonals right now I prefer the Christmas Ale.

OP, the 2 BELOW seasonal from New Belgium is real tasty like.....

A lot of good great beers mentioned in this thread. I give my thumbs up to anything made by Bells, Troegs, Ommegang, Durchesse, and DeuS that people have mentioned so far. That said, I go with a Bell's mixed case for my tail gating needs, especially if you can get one with Oberon Ale in it. Drink the lighter stuff earlier, and then the stouts and porters are your post event dessert.

I live in PA as well so I deal with the ridiculous liqueur laws here. Luckily I have some friends who also enjoy good beer, so we do what we call a "Beer Swap." Everyone picks a case, I go and buy them all, then everyone gets a mixed case. Our last case consisted of Duchesse (my pick), 750ml Chimay Blues, La Fin Du Monde, and Fullers ESB.

Next time PJ visits Philly I say we get a beer swap tail gating party going on, would be interesting.
  • rhpot1991 wrote:
    Bells IS THE BEST!!! Of the Bells seasonals right now I prefer the Christmas Ale.

A lot of good great beers mentioned in this thread. I give my thumbs up to anything made by Bells, Troegs, Ommegang, Durchesse, and DeuS that people have mentioned so far. That said, I go with a Bell's mixed case for my tail gating needs, especially if you can get one with Oberon Ale in it. Drink the lighter stuff earlier, and then the stouts and porters are your post event dessert.

I live in PA as well so I deal with the ridiculous liqueur laws here. Luckily I have some friends who also enjoy good beer, so we do what we call a "Beer Swap." Everyone picks a case, I go and buy them all, then everyone gets a mixed case. Our last case consisted of Duchesse (my pick), 750ml Chimay Blues, La Fin Du Monde, and Fullers ESB.

Next time PJ visits Philly I say we get a beer swap tail gating party going on, would be interesting.

Count me in for that!!

In NJ - I've got 2 really really good beer/liquor stores here, both rated very high on BA, one even being something like #3 in the entire nation.

But finding the craft brews of those that don't distribute here makes it a tad tough.

Luckily for New Belgium and Bells, I found www.archerliquors.com who will ship!
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • rhpot1991 wrote:
    Bells IS THE BEST!!! Of the Bells seasonals right now I prefer the Christmas Ale.

Count me in for that!!

In NJ - I've got 2 really really good beer/liquor stores here, both rated very high on BA, one even being something like #3 in the entire nation.

But finding the craft brews of those that don't distribute here makes it a tad tough.

Luckily for New Belgium and Bells, I found http://www.archerliquors.com who will ship!

Me too (NY, NJ or MA tailgate as well)
    That's really cool. My dad was in the beer business so I'm very much a beer snob (but a cheap date so it works out) Have some aussie beers on my list as well (Newey's Blue Tongue was awesome in Sydney! Hope to find it in NYC)
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • Bells IS THE BEST!!! Of the Bells seasonals right now I prefer the Christmas Ale.

Just had a Bells Java Stout tonight and Hopslam is only about a month away!!!