Quality Beer Drinkers While Tailgating

Comments

• Get_Right wrote:
    nothing but sierra nevada's in my cooler

not quite sure if thats up to snuff tho

westchester county, ny

right on! I went to college in chico, ca where the sierra nevada brewery is located. amazingly, I never got sick of their beers, even though that's all anyone drank at parties and such. Their celebration ale this year is amazing, good stuff.
  • Right now one of my favorites is anything from Ommegang Brewery, http://www.ommegang.com/, they make some great Belgian Ales. My favorite being Three Philosophers.

I am also into the Stone Brewery stuff. I had a 2008 bottle of Double Arrogant Bastard last night. Of course the Ruination IPA is the stuff of legends.

Unfortunately I have attained a very expensive taste in beer. Life was so much simpler when it was Coors Light and even Heineken.
    6-25-2008 MSG
    10-31-2009 Spectrum
    5-18-2010 Newark
  • Unfortunately I have attained a very expensive taste in beer. Life was so much simpler when it was Coors Light and even Heineken.

You're telling me.

3 beers cost me $240 last week.

Sam Adams Utopias and 2 bottles of Deus
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    Right now one of my favorites is anything from Ommegang Brewery, http://www.ommegang.com/, they make some great Belgian Ales. My favorite being Three Philosophers.

I am also into the Stone Brewery stuff. I had a 2008 bottle of Double Arrogant Bastard last night. Of course the Ruination IPA is the stuff of legends.

Unfortunately I have attained a very expensive taste in beer. Life was so much simpler when it was Coors Light and even Heineken.

Everything from Ommegang is outstanding. Hennepin, in my opinion is one of the best beers in the world.

I hear you on the expensive taste, I rarely walk out of the Foodery in Philadelphia spending under $60 or so.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    jammergirl wrote:

right on! I went to college in chico, ca where the sierra nevada brewery is located. amazingly, I never got sick of their beers, even though that's all anyone drank at parties and such. Their celebration ale this year is amazing, good stuff.
    drools :D
    right? The celebration could be their best beer ever.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Right now one of my favorites is anything from Ommegang Brewery, http://www.ommegang.com/, they make some great Belgian Ales. My favorite being Three Philosophers.

Everything from Ommegang is outstanding. Hennepin, in my opinion is one of the best beers in the world.

I hear you on the expensive taste, I rarely walk out of the Foodery in Philadelphia spending under $60 or so.

Eulogy usually runs me a nice bill haha.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think I'm going up to Cooperstown this summer for the Ommegang beer festival. A buddy of mine did it last year. He volunteered, ended up pouring beers for people, while pouring some for himself for free and getting hammered. People got wasted and just passed out in the fields. I am looking forward to doing the same.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I usually go with some yeungling when tailgating. It's sucks though becase I have to travel to new York to get it. They don't distribute to Ct for some reason...
    I usually go with some yeungling when tailgating. It's sucks though becase I have to travel to new York to get it. They don't distribute to Ct for some reason...

People are becoming rabid fans of Lager just as I'm getting sick of it. Have drank too much of it over my lifetime.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Same here, and Monks.

• Sam Adams Utopias

holy shit! how was it? at 27% alcohol i wouldn't even dare try it, nevermind the price tag!
    nothing's changed but the surrounding bullsh1t
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think I'm going up to Cooperstown this summer for the Ommegang beer festival. A buddy of mine did it last year. He volunteered, ended up pouring beers for people, while pouring some for himself for free and getting hammered. People got wasted and just passed out in the fields. I am looking forward to doing the same.

You definitely should do that. I have heard it is a great time. I might have to think about it. Not sure if you have every been to Cooperstown but being as big of a baseball fan as you are I would definitely recommed it. When I lived in Albany I made a trip to Cooperstown every year for a weekend.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Same here, and Monks.

I gotta go Grace Tavern. Right around the corner from my house, and it's the bee's knees.

• Sam Adams Utopias

holy shit! how was it? at 27% alcohol i wouldn't even dare try it, nevermind the price tag!

haven't tried it yet...waiting for a weekend where I have the time to do it right.
    edited December 2009
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    You definitely should do that. I have heard it is a great time. I might have to think about it. Not sure if you have every been to Cooperstown but being as big of a baseball fan as you are I would definitely recommed it. When I lived in Albany I made a trip to Cooperstown every year for a weekend.

Yeah, man. Our plan is to get a party of at least 18 of us to go. Why you ask? We were planning to rent some cabins near the lake, do the beer festival thing, go to the Hall, and also see about renting one of those old time fields - or just use any kind of baseball field up there - and have a full on ballgame up there. People are pretty psyched about it.
  • Dogfish is DE.

It's about 90 minutes away from Phila. - same as Troegs & Weyerbacher. Local enough.

Regarding the high-alcohol beers at tailgates - that's why I recommended Stoudt's Gold. You can drink a lot of them, and they taste good. Not all craft beers are big ABV monsters, or really expensive. PBC Kenzinger is about $27 a case. Sly Fox Pikeland Pils comes in cans. Not too bad. Just trying to spread the word.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Dogfish is DE.

It's about 90 minutes away from Phila. - same as Troegs & Weyerbacher. Local enough.

Regarding the high-alcohol beers at tailgates - that's why I recommended Stoudt's Gold. You can drink a lot of them, and they taste good. Not all craft beers are big ABV monsters, or really expensive. PBC Kenzinger is about $27 a case. Sly Fox Pikeland Pils comes in cans. Not too bad. Just trying to spread the word.

Kenzinger is my hands-down favorite right now.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, man. Our plan is to get a party of at least 18 of us to go. Why you ask? We were planning to rent some cabins near the lake, do the beer festival thing, go to the Hall, and also see about renting one of those old time fields - or just use any kind of baseball field up there - and have a full on ballgame up there. People are pretty psyched about it.

that sounds *awesome* !
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sounds like a blast, the places on the lake are beautiful, spent many weekends there.
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    Get_Right wrote:

its dangerously good

could not find the torpedo though-which everyone was raving about

and the summerfest-also outstanding if you enjoy lagers
    I found a great beer store in Niagara Falls and the guy gave me a sinlge bottle of Torpedo just to try. Haven't cracked it yet. Sitting in my fridge chilling along with the Sierra Estate, Sierra Harvest and Sierra Southern Harvest. Just waiting for the right moment, probably my next SVT viewing :D

Other than the stout, I have yet to try the ESB, Weis and Summer beers. I will track them all down eventually though.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    Bells distribution is growing pretty fast...

http://www.bellsbeer.com/distributor.html
    Yeah, they just need to get in to NY. Could have bought some in PA, but could only find it at the beverage centers and you are stuck buying a 24 of the same kind (didn't have the variety pack). The state of PA has the most ridiculous beer distribution laws that I have ever come across.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
    BeerBaron wrote:

Yeah, they just need to get in to NY. Could have bought some in PA, but could only find it at the beverage centers and you are stuck buying a 24 of the same kind (didn't have the variety pack). The state of PA has the most ridiculous beer distribution laws that I have ever come across.

The PA laws are by far the worst and most absurd I have ever seen. It is so god damn annoying especially moving from NY.

Bells is good stuff. Second best thing to come from Kalamazoo, MI behind to Derek Jeter.
  • BeerBaron wrote:

I agree! You can buy a 6-pack at a bar but not at a "liquor distribution center" - bizarre! I still have half a case left from philly weekend.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:

The PA laws are by far the worst and most absurd I have ever seen. It is so god damn annoying especially moving from NY.

Bells is good stuff. Second best thing to come from Kalamazoo, MI behind to Derek Jeter.

PA is the absolute worst. It's all because we're a Commonwealth and the PLCB abides by antiquated laws that go back to before prohibition.

Did you hear of Blocktoberfest in Philly back in October? Bells was there along with a bunch of other awesome brews. Other than the rain, it was an awesome time.
  • PA laws can work in your favor sometimes. BYOB restaurants save you a lot of $$$. Won't find many of those in NY.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

PA is the absolute worst. It's all because we're a Commonwealth and the PLCB abides by antiquated laws that go back to before prohibition.

Did you hear of Blocktoberfest in Philly back in October? Bells was there along with a bunch of other awesome brews. Other than the rain, it was an awesome time.

I knew it had something to do with really old laws but didnt know exactly why. I remember when a bunch of us came down for the lacrosse final four before I moved here we ran out of beer on Sunday and it was an absolute pain in the ass for us to figure out where to buy beer.

It is really is annoying that aside from the foodery or a few small delis I am stuck buying cases and the hours of beer distributors are pretty terrible.

I don't think I did hear about that. Was it in N Libs? I know they had a pretty big block party a couple months ago and I think it rained then as well. That is pretty sweet though, would have liked to have went.
    PA laws can work in your favor sometimes. BYOB restaurants save you a lot of $$$. Won't find many of those in NY.

That's fine. But for the most part PA is ass backwards. I ran a bar for 4 years - I know all too well.
  • Get_Right wrote:
    jammergirl wrote:

drools :D
    right? The celebration could be their best beer ever.

I would also recommend their kellerweis, its outstanding as well. this thread is making me thirsty....
  • Im a Fan of anything in the Rogue beers line. I try and taste all of them including the seasonals. And any beer from Belgium....Piraat is my fav.