Options

PJ Grossed 4.8 Million in Philly Alone

13»

Comments

• Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Do people actually expect the band to keep prices at the 50$ range for ever talk about naive anybody ever hear about cost of living raises :lol::lol:

I've heard of these so called Cost of Living Raises, but I thought that was just crazy talk! ;)

My company believes that I love my job so much that they gave us all pay cuts earlier in the year! :x
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    They are worth every god damm pennie and they earn every god damm pennie take that to the bank !!!! and i would gladly pay $100 a ticket ...

Agree Jose! But if they go any higher then $100 a ticket I would have a hard time justifying to my friends that it is worth going to. And as much as I like seeing them with friends I am not that generous to buy their tickets! ;)

It would probably lead to more ten club members teaming up for pairs. Which wouldn't be a bad thing necessarily, because then we would get to meet a lot more fellow fans then! 8-)

I hear you but to tell you the truth i have no friends that are into the band so i'm allways goin to shows with people from here i like pairing up like you said meeting new fans is 1/2 the fun for me .
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I think everyone misses the point. At least for me I don't begrudge Pearl Jam making whatever obscene amount of money they make. I just find it ridiculous that all of you Kool-Aid drinkers come on this board and rationalize their overpriced tickets.

Pretty sure there were no real travel expenses involved with this series of shows(aside from the limo ride from the hotel to venue.)
    #FHP
  • Options
    4051qrt346912.jpg
  • Options
    Do people actually expect the band to keep prices at the 50$ range for ever talk about naive anybody ever hear about cost of living raises :lol::lol:

You might want to go look at the cost of living data. If a ticket cost $40 in 1995, the increase to sustain that $40 through cost of living increase is only a $56 ticket. Cost of living does not explain a $75 "cheapest-seat-in-the-house" ticket.

Remember back when they were fighting ticketmaster to keep ticket prices under $20? To make up for the change in cost of living, they would have had to have increased that $20 ticket to....drum roll.....$29 today.

I don't berudge pearl jam for trying to make money. But I do find it hypocritical, considering their past stances. It won't stop me from being a fan, and it won't stop me from going to concerts (just less of them), but I would be remiss to deny the hypocrisy.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    I'll gladly pay $200 a ticket ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    Gross does not equal net. Remember, they are a touring company. Go look at company gross profits and get back to me. Their crew/employees even participate in a profit sharing plan...gosh saving for retirement. What a concept. Some of you act like they're splitting $5m b/t the 5 of them.

And I haven't even mentioned the govt stealing atleast half of it from them!

They should make more $$
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited December 2009
    dbodner wrote:

You might want to go look at the cost of living data. If a ticket cost $40 in 1995, the increase to sustain that $40 through cost of living increase is only a $56 ticket. Cost of living does not explain a $75 "cheapest-seat-in-the-house" ticket.

Remember back when they were fighting ticketmaster to keep ticket prices under $20? To make up for the change in cost of living, they would have had to have increased that $20 ticket to....drum roll.....$29 today.

I don't berudge pearl jam for trying to make money. But I do find it hypocritical, considering their past stances. It won't stop me from being a fan, and it won't stop me from going to concerts (just less of them), but I would be remiss to deny the hypocrisy.

Great post. Like you said, I don't begrudge PJ for charging what they charge because you do always get your money's worth. But you can't ignore the hypocrisy.

Tickets to Metallica this December cost $72 for the best seats and $52 for the not so good seats while PJ charged $83 for any seat to the Philly shows. This is why I hate when people defend PJ's ticket prices by saying "they COULD charge in the hundreds like U2 does!" I agree that they could...and I'm sure my dumb ass would buy a ticket. But the fact that Metallica (who is without a doubt "bigger" than Pearl Jam) would charge less...as well as the fact that bands of comparable popularity (Radiohead, Green Day, Dave Matthews Band), charge around $50, is a little disappointing.

I'll never dispute that they are about the music. I know Eddie Vedder doesn't sit with his guitar writing Just Breathe thinking that it's a way to increase his net worth. But I sort of get the feeling that at this point he's kinda like "Well I'm the CEO of this 20 year old conglomerate called Pearl Jam and I might as well get what I can out of it."
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,051
    and let's give them credit. they donate a portion from every ticket sold to their charity foundation which helps tons and tons of people across the world. how many major acts do that?
  • Options
    and let's give them credit. they donate a portion from every ticket sold to their charity foundation which helps tons and tons of people across the world. how many major acts do that?

Probably many more than you think. It's commendable but reminds me of Camden in 2006. They donated to this fund for convicts who were recently released from prison. He brought 3 of them on stage and literally talked about them for 10-15 minutes...costing us a song. The funniest part was like 2 weeks after the show, one of them was arrested again. Money well spent.
  • Options
    "'ll tell ya, if Philly night 1, 2, 3 were selling Sport Team shirts, the number's would of been higher. I was shocked not seeing any for the first 3 nights. Every city on Ed's 09 & Pearl Jam '09 had one, accept Philly. Then Night 4, we get one out of the blew! Sweet! 8-)]

Night 1 wasn't sold out. You could see many open section's in the 400's. Plus the back of the stage was closed. Night's 2-4, they opened up that section for all."

What's with all the apostophe usage, pal? You are abusing the English language.
  • Options

Probably many more than you think. It's commendable but reminds me of Camden in 2006. They donated to this fund for convicts who were recently released from prison. He brought 3 of them on stage and literally talked about them for 10-15 minutes...costing us a song. The funniest part was like 2 weeks after the show, one of them was arrested again. Money well spent.

which one was arrested again? I would like to read about that
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Options
    Smarter_Than_USmarter_Than_U Posts: 515
    edited December 2009
    Good for them--they deserve to be rich cos they actually offer something awesome to the world unlike most people--even a lot of rich people, who inherit their wealth.
    Post edited by Smarter_Than_U on
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    mvhess wrote:
    Like it or not, once a band gets as big as Pearl Jam (or U2, Bruce, etc), it's the bands responsibility to get market value for their product so the profits go to the people they employ. Can you imagine if Pearl Jam sold tickets for $35-$40? Every person with a computer, myself included, would try to buy as many as possible knowing that the demand would still be there at $80-$100. It would be irresponsible for the band to allow this to happen. Sure, some lucky fans would get the cheaper tickets, but you'd see a lot more on ebay & ticket broker sites. If they can sell out 4 nights at the Spectrum for $75 a ticket, then that's probably the right price for the ticket. It's just the reality of the business today.

Very insightful post!

I'd rather see the band get the extra profits based on their demand, as opposed to someone else (scalper).

Sometimes its easier to pay a higher price then it is to fight with others for a bargain.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

Britney spears only grossed more money because she charged what looks like almost double for tickets! The amount of people who went to the shows for PJ and her are almost identical.

Pay more for an ugly washed up whore not even singing on stage, or pay less for a real rock band?

wow, thats sad.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

Britney spears only grossed more money because she charged what looks like almost double for tickets! The amount of people who went to the shows for PJ and her are almost identical.

Pay more for an ugly washed up whore not even singing on stage, or pay less for a real rock band?

wow, thats sad.

Britney Spears may have grossed more, but her production costs were at least double those of PJ.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

wow, thats sad.

Britney Spears may have grossed more, but her production costs were at least double those of PJ.

PLus you could not even put that lip sinking, redneck, crack whore in the same class as Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    recession?....WHAT RECESSION?

There's no recession going on for the band at all with this 4th quarter income. And then the last merchandise sale? Can you say "Big Bonus" for all their employees? And this, at a time, when most companies are having hard times. Obviously PJ fans aren't hurting for cash either, if they can spend, spend, spend it!

It's just interesting, that's all, from a business and economy perspective.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

wow, thats sad.

Even more sad that she has to do all that phony crap to wow her fans.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    Horos wrote:
    Pretty sure there were no real travel expenses involved with this series of shows(aside from the limo ride from the hotel to venue.)

really? no travel? well hotels ain't free, that limo ain't free, and did they walk from seattle to philly and then back home again carrying all their gear?

people just don't seem to realise all the cost in putting on just one show. go watch this pearljamtour.tv video of the lead up to the aussie shows and look at all the preparation that goes into setting up the show before pearl jam have even stepped foot on a stage and just think about how much all that would cost.

and if you are still not happy about ticket prices, just look and see what every other band/artist charge for a ticket. i think you'll find pearl jam will be one of the lowest. you can't see any band in australia for less the $50 these days, and i'm just talking about semi known aussie bands, not even major aussie acts. they will charge around $80.

$130 to see a international act, which is what PJ charged here is cheap. nickelback were touring at the same time and they were $150, i know who i'd rather see.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    the wolf wrote:
    who cares ? so they made a few bucks. get over it. tell ya what, why dont you go to work tomorrow for half of what you make. better yet, take half of what you make and donate it to a good cause.

then talk to me.

I for one am glad the boys are making some bank, that means the can continue whatever lifestyle they are leading and in turn continue to make kick ass music that fucking blows me away.

good job PJ keep up the great work, and GET PAID !!

fucking people drive me crazy !

meh, i saw Dinosaur Jr. twice and the Flaming Lips once this year for more than 1/2 the price of a PJ ticket and i thought those shows blew all 5 PJ shows i saw this year away, not to mention i thought both of their albums this year kicked Backspacer's ass....to each their own, i still haven't even bought Backspacer i was so disappointed with it

how much will it cost for Mike to play his part to insignificance again? both times i saw them play it this year he didn't play his parts at all and just played a double rhythm with Stone
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    Jeanwah wrote:
    recession?....WHAT RECESSION?

There's no recession going on for the band at all with this 4th quarter income. And then the last merchandise sale? Can you say "Big Bonus" for all their employees? And this, at a time, when most companies are having hard times. Obviously PJ fans aren't hurting for cash either, if they can spend, spend, spend it!

It's just interesting, that's all, from a business and economy perspective.

i liked eddie's talk in seattle about how before the band he didn't pay for his registration or some tag for his car and how paranoid he'd be driving and watching for cops but thanks to us he never has to worry about that anymore.....
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    dbodner wrote:

Great post, thank you!