Options

*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    He's practicing with the team again today. I've heard the Sixers are beefing up security for Friday in case he plays. 
    And this has been the talk on Philly Sports radio.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    cutz said:
    He's practicing with the team again today. I've heard the Sixers are beefing up security for Friday in case he plays. 
    And this has been the talk on Philly Sports radio.

He's a petulant child.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,772
    edited October 2021
    If he wants to save any face and increase his chances of getting traded shouldn't he be staging a 1:1 interview with someone who is a stooge for Rich Paul? If he goes out there tomorrow for this press conference he's just gonna make himself look extra stupid.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    edited October 2021
    He’s doing what butler did. Make it so toxic and uncomfortable, he makes them trade him or keep him away from the team and pay him until a trade comes. Truly don’t think he cares about saving face. 
  • Options
    I don't know. I think Ben has a much different personality than a Jimmy Butler or James Harden. He's also not nearly as good as those two and holds way less leverage, which is part of what makes this so weird. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The thing is Ben isn't Butler or Harden. What Juggs said above.
  • Options
    Sorry, when I said "saving face" I meant more of his chances to control the story and his trade prospects.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I get that, but I don’t think he does. I also think he’s looking for the fastest way out, and pissing everyone off may do that. 
  • Options
    I get that, but I don’t think he does. I also think he’s looking for the fastest way out, and pissing everyone off may do that. 
    I think the fastest way out is for him to play and play well so he increases his trade value

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I think the fastest way out is for him to play and play well so he increases his trade value

Not trying to just play devils advocate, but I don’t know about that. If he plays well and they are good, doesn’t that give them less urgency to trade him unless it’s a perfect package? I think causing trouble gets him out faster. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Not trying to just play devils advocate, but I don’t know about that. If he plays well and they are good, doesn’t that give them less urgency to trade him unless it’s a perfect package? I think causing trouble gets him out faster. 
    Hey if he comes in and starts shooting and/or finishing at the basket consistently....fuck it. Keep him. lol

If trouble got him out faster, I think they would've traded him by now. Daryl Morey knows what he's doing. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    Yeah the thing that most people seem to forget is that he has 4 years left on his deal. Harden and Butler were both nearing the end of their deals, so they had the threat to walk. So not only is Simmons not as good as them, he also is in a much worse contract situation (well, in terms of forcing a trade anyway). 

Long story short, Morey seems to be holding out for the perfect deal regardless of how Ben acts. He has no leverage and won’t anytime soon. And in his shoes I’d probably get antsy and accept the first decent deal like Brogdon, Sexton, or CJ, but we all know that those moves don’t actually move the needle significantly, so that’s why he has the job and not me. In the meantime, we have some killer 3-point shooters to compliment Embiid enough to win most games.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Right that's what I took from what I read about him/Paul/Morey/Doc meeting up. Morey came prepared with all the stats about how well him and Embiid succeed together, and I think the whole point was to say without saying "if we could trade you for something that makes us just as good we would. But we cannot - nor are you helping yourself - so go pound sand." Not to mention the lack of leverage when the ink was barely dry on his (max) contract.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Neither party has much leverage, clearly. I hope I’m wrong, but I think Simmons is there to get paid and cause trouble to either be told to go home and still get paid or get traded.

Curious to see what he has to say tomorrow 
  • Options
    Right that's what I took from what I read about him/Paul/Morey/Doc meeting up. Morey came prepared with all the stats about how well him and Embiid succeed together, and I think the whole point was to say without saying "if we could trade you for something that makes us just as good we would. But we cannot - nor are you helping yourself - so go pound sand." Not to mention the lack of leverage when the ink was barely dry on his (max) contract.
    Was this a Bodner piece I missed? Where'd you see this stuff? I'd like to read it.

Let's all just hope Ben plays and plays well, the Sixers get off to another good start and the Blazers and Wiz both get off to horrible starts. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/details-sixers-meeting-ben-simmons-155529889.html

This guy wrote something based on the ESPN+ article details. Seems to make sense.

And oh the Sixers definitely have the leverage. This is completely different territory than for other players. I think the Sixers have no problem docking his pay and telling him to fuck off. If Simmons thought he had a chance in hell of litigating those fines he would have by now, hence why he showed up at all.

At the end of the day, I think the Sixers know he's not playing for them ever again. But they also know getting nothing is about the same as whatever they'd get in a trade right now.
  • Options
    Lol. I love it.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    A real knucklehead this guy.
  • Options
    The thing is both Butler and Harden not only have been absolutely proven guys - with expiring contracts - at this point, but they never looked like gigantic pusses during it. Lol, Embiid calling him out now:

• Options
    Terrell Owens 2.0

At least Embiid is a lot more mature than McNabb was...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I bet he wanted to be kicked out to avoid the press conference.

Hope Morey revisits those CJ McCollum talks... 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Stick it all directly into my veins...

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,399
    This novella is quite entertaining...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    All to get out of talking to the media today, I guarantee it. This guy is a jellyfish. Ben, more snorting/steaming mad emojis please.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221

Except Portland will now require 2 future firsts to take on Simmons for McCollum
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Poncier said:

Except Portland will now require 2 future firsts to take on Simmons for McCollum
    They weren't getting McCollum before this whole circus. That's the thing, there's literally been nothing worth getting back in a trade that makes it a net-equal/net-positive return. Never been a Company Guy, but totally support the Go Pound Sand Approach here by the Sixers. The guy is doing himself zero favors.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

They weren't getting McCollum before this whole circus. That's the thing, there's literally been nothing worth getting back in a trade that makes it a net-equal/net-positive return. Never been a Company Guy, but totally support the Go Pound Sand Approach here by the Sixers. The guy is doing himself zero favors.
    A month ago Shams and Stephen A both reported about those trade talks though
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    All about the money.  Players have more power in the NBA in any league.  He'll continually get suspended and file a grievance and he'll end up getting paid, until he is traded. That's been his game the entire time.  Make life hard on the Sixers to force them to trade him.

Can't see him attending another practice ever.

And at the end of the day, he is being successful in what he is trying to do.  You have a team that is a top contender in the East, on the eve of the first game of the season, and all anyone is talking about is the disgruntled star.  This has been his game since the second he came back
  • Options
    Poncier said:

A month ago Shams and Stephen A both reported about those trade talks though
    Yeah I don't believe any of it. I'm sure there's some small sliver of truth to it.