Options

Rock Band video game

edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
edited January 2008 in The Porch
This Xmas I gave my family the Rock Band video game (for Xbox 360) as the big family gift. Actually, me and my wife wanted it -- kids might be a little too young for this game! Anyway, it's a blast! Best fun I've had playing video games in a long time. So the reason for this posting is the only thing that sucks is there's no Pearl Jam songs!!! Ugh! That would make this game perfect!!!! I downloaded Bowie's "Moonage Daydream" (highly worth downloading this track for this particular game) and a couple more tracks from Xbox Live. I heard that the game developers (Activision or Harmonix????) plan on releasing new tracks every week throughout 2008. Anyone know if Pearl Jam is slated to have some tracks released for Rock Band? "Alive" would be killer as would any PJ song for that matter. I heard that "Even Flow" is on one of the Guitar Hero games (there's now three versions of GH!!! Rock Band is clearly a better game IMHO). I'm hoping that the GH franchise doesn't own exclusive rights to the PJ songs. That would be a bummer!

Happy New Year, Jammers!
Rock on!
~Edward

===========================
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I believe that Guitar Hero 3 for Playstation has Even Flow.
    Got an army, fact I got two. That's ok man, cause I love money!
  • Options
    Every version of Guitar HEro III got Even Flow
    The x360 version of GH II got life wasted (a cover though)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    kerrangkerrang Chile Posts: 434
    Every version of Guitar Hero III got Even Flow
    The x360 version of GH II got life wasted (which is a terrible cover btw)

Santiago, Chile (November 22, 2005)
    Santiago, Chile (November 23, 2005)
    Santiago, Chile (November 16, 2011)
    Sao Paulo, Brasil (March 31, 2013)
    Santiago, Chile (April 06, 2013)
    Santiago, Chile (November 04, 2015)
    Santiago, Chile (March 13, 2018)
    Santiago, Chile (March 16, 2018)
    Rio de Janeiro, Brasil (March 21, 2018)
  • Options
    Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    The whole Nevermind album is supposed to be available for download too, but I haven't heard a thing about Pearl Jam songs being available for Rock Band. Even Flow is in Guitar Hero III, and Life Wasted in Guitar Hero II.
  • Options
    Rock Band is a great game (I have it for PS3). I am really hoping that the full "Nevermind" album downloadable content will actually happen and not end up being just a rumor that was floated out there before the game went on sale.

I knew that there weren't any Pearl Jam songs included with the game, but I am hoping that some are available for download.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    so... in rock band... how does it work? can you use a Guitar Hero guitar? is there a mic? drums? I have never seen it, but I do like me some guitar hero!
  • Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    right now for ps3 you can NOT use the GH3 guitar... you can for xBox thought
    i like sound...
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    so... in rock band... how does it work? can you use a Guitar Hero guitar? is there a mic? drums? I have never seen it, but I do like me some guitar hero!

Previous poster was correct in that the Xbox 360 is compatible w/ Guitar Hero's guitar, but not the PS3 (I can't speak for the Wii -- not sure if RB is even on Wii). The developers of GH1 and GH2 (but not GH3) are the same team that developed Rock Band and supposedly it was a complete accident that the GH guitars worked on RB.

As for content, some kewl tracks are Nirvana's "In Bloom", Weezer's "Say it ain't So", Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun", and my personal favorite is Deep Purple's "Highway Star". That track is listed as one of the "impossible" tracks, but let me tell you it is a freakin' blast playing that song! I'm hoping that Pearl Jam gets added soon -- that is if the Guitar Hero franchise doesn't have exclusive rights to them (and why they would is beyond me). If it's rumored to have the entire "Nevermind" available for download, then they should have "Ten" available, too as it was (arguably) equally important of an album during that time (and loaded w/ great tunes that are perfect for Rock Band). Certain tracks from "Vitalogy" and "Vs." would rule too (ie, Go, Animal, Dissident, RVM, Corduroy, Spin the Black Circle, etc.).

Hey, where did somebody hear of the "Nevermind" download? I didn't find anything on RockBand's website regarding new upcoming tracks except for stuff that's already been released for download.
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

• Options
    pjtaper wrote:

to answer the rest of your question the package comes with 1 guitar, drums, a microphone, and the game. Then you can get a second guitar (or use a GH guitar on xbox 360) for a bass player. So up to 4 peeps can play. It is not available on the Wii but is out on PS2 now besides PS3. The guitar part is almost identical to GH. The drums though are amazing. So much fun and much closer to actually playing the instrument then the guitar. Guitar is still so much fun though and the singing is cool too. The lead singers voice is still heard so you are not "naked" when singing. Check out this video of an obvious real drummer playing Metallica's "and justice for all" on expert level. So much fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ9XLiMfBRo

Here is another video of whats its like to play all together. This is the developers playing. Disclamer though... welcome to the jungle never actually made it to the final version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd3E8zgqJM4

Bring on PJ downloadable songs!!!! 10 Club LOOK HERE
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    My brother in law bought Rock Band for us all to play at xmas.
    We got freakin loaded and had a blast. I was doing my best Mike McCready imitations jumping around, playing behind my neck, throwing pics and pointing out to Everyone .
    It's fun to sing along as well, even if you can't sing worth shit knowone cares b/c it's so much fun.
    I loved singing Black Sabbath's - "PAranoid" , QOTSA - "Go with the flow" and The Stones -"Gimme Shelter" .
    I had my video camera rolling with "Single Video Theory" in mind it was totally kick ass!

I was disappointed that they didn't have any Pj considering they had a section dedicated to Seattle. Maybe GH has the rights to PJ as someone else mentioned
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    to answer the rest of your question the package comes with 1 guitar, drums, a microphone, and the game. Then you can get a second guitar (or use a GH guitar on xbox 360) for a bass player. So up to 4 peeps can play. It is not available on the Wii but is out on PS2 now besides PS3. The guitar part is almost identical to GH. The drums though are amazing. So much fun and much closer to actually playing the instrument then the guitar. Guitar is still so much fun though and the singing is cool too. The lead singers voice is still heard so you are not "naked" when singing. Check out this video of an obvious real drummer playing Metallica's "and justice for all" on expert level. So much fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ9XLiMfBRo

Here is another video of whats its like to play all together. This is the developers playing. Disclamer though... welcome to the jungle never actually made it to the final version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd3E8zgqJM4

thanks for the links! thats the first ive seen anyone actually playing it... i cant justify buying one of those expensive new systems just to get this game but maybe someday i will when the price gets low... they dont make it for N64 do they? :p
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    to answer the rest of your question the package comes with 1 guitar, drums, a microphone, and the game. Check out this video of an obvious real drummer playing Metallica's "and justice for all" on expert level. So much fun.

Thanks! I realized I totally forgot to answer the rest of her question. That dude in that video is sick on those drums! That's a tough song to pull off and at the expert level!
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

• Options
    ADogNamedPilateADogNamedPilate Texas, USA Posts: 291
    I know some asshole always has to come in and comment about something logical and take away all the fun...

So why not play a real guitar or drum set? Why not invest time in something real that has far more potential? Playing the game at parties is one thing but anyone who can play guitar hero or rock band on expert that doesn't play a real instrument needs to better themselves by dropping the game and putting forth effort in a real instrument.
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • Options
    drunkcow wrote:
    I know some asshole always has to come in and comment about something logical and take away all the fun...

So why not play a real guitar or drum set? Why not invest time in something real that has far more potential? Playing the game at parties is one thing but anyone who can play guitar hero or rock band on expert that doesn't play a real instrument needs to better themselves by dropping the game and putting forth effort in a real instrument.
    agreed! and stop crediting guitar hero as the source of music! Q: "hey isnt this that song from guitar hero??"... A: "umm yes but it was from (Insert Band)'s (Insert Album) first"... college girls especially... i preferred when they didnt know any good music vs. when they pretend to know a song because of guitar hero...

• Options
    drunkcow wrote:

Well for starters I see what you are saying but let me just say a few things. That video I posted of that dude playing the drums is obviously a real drummer. It does NOT look like that when i play. He has some serious wrist action going on while i use my whole arm. I'm sure it didnt take him long at all to crush that song. The guitar is infinitely easier then playing a real guitar and can be picked up in no time for some great fun. The drums are also a lot easier than playing the drums because you dont actually know the song. It tells you what to hit and when so it helps keep the rythm. Sit me in front of a real drum kit and I would not know what to do. I would say these games do a great job of teaching rythm and will inspire a lot of people to pick up some real instruments and begin the grueling process of actually learning to play. Even if most don't it is exposing all these younger kids to some great music that they would not ordinarily take the time to discover.

I will just end it with the fact that my brother is an EXCELENT guitar player and can play all the songs in the game the real way. He came over and had a good time with it and understands the apeal. I would compare it with playing madden football. Would Terrell Owens enjoy playing a football video game more then actually playing? Probably not... but we can't all be in the NFL. So the rest of us get to pretend. I know thats not the best annalogy but you get what i'm saying. Its just a game.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    thanks for the links! thats the first ive seen anyone actually playing it... i cant justify buying one of those expensive new systems just to get this game but maybe someday i will when the price gets low... they dont make it for N64 do they? :p

They don't. The only "last generation" console that has the game is Playstation 2.
  • Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    Do i understand this correctly?
    You get a guitar, drum set and mic, then you olay the song on the screen?
    If so then that is way cool.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    BeerBaron wrote:
    What do you mean when you say "a cover"?

It isn't PJ playing Life Wasted on GH2, hence a cover band. It's another band with a male lead singer (not Ed) that you hear. On GH3, Even Flow is performed by Pearl Jam, and you can tell it's Ed's voice.
  • Options
    There's a lot of covers, seems like band started to respect the game with the third installment maybe and agreed to use the master tracks? I lika playing evenflow but I suck so I play at easy or medium :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    To the people who say play a real instrument instead: This is an ARCADE GAME not a SIMULATION and as such it wouldn't be much help to people trying to pick up a real guitar. Anyway, I have Rock Band, and though there is no Pearl Jam - in the clothes section [I believe under "punk" for some reason] is a nice flannel jacket my guy is rocking - its' name? Flannel Ledbetter. You can bet the developers are fans and are doing their best to get the boys in.
  • Options
    The RockBand website's community section (http://www.rockband.com/rockers_home) has a link at the bottom entitled "Request Song". You'll probably have to sign up as a member, but you can make all the PJ requests you want. I requested just about every song from "Ten", "Vs", and a ton of others. I'm passing this info along in hopes that enough people (ie, YOU) do the same by requesting a ton of PJ songs. I also requested a bunch of Jimi songs, too (my screen name on the RB forums is: voodoochild). There's also a forum called "Your Ultimate Setlist" which you can post what songs you'd like to play on RB. A lot of people have included various PJ songs into their setlists in that particular forum. I'm thinking the RB personnel probably take the "Request Song" link more seriously as that probably inserts requests directly into a database (easier to rank and view) whereas the forums require moderators to delve through tons of postings. So if you're into playing RB, please request as much PJ as possible (and whatever other songs you'd like as well).
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

• Options
    edpearson wrote:
    The RockBand website's community section (http://www.rockband.com/rockers_home) has a link at the bottom entitled "Request Song". You'll probably have to sign up as a member, but you can make all the PJ requests you want. I requested just about every song from "Ten", "Vs", and a ton of others. I'm passing this info along in hopes that enough people (ie, YOU) do the same by requesting a ton of PJ songs. I also requested a bunch of Jimi songs, too (my screen name on the RB forums is: voodoochild). There's also a forum called "Your Ultimate Setlist" which you can post what songs you'd like to play on RB. A lot of people have included various PJ songs into their setlists in that particular forum. I'm thinking the RB personnel probably take the "Request Song" link more seriously as that probably inserts requests directly into a database (easier to rank and view) whereas the forums require moderators to delve through tons of postings. So if you're into playing RB, please request as much PJ as possible (and whatever other songs you'd like as well).

Nice! I will be all over this tonight.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    edpearson wrote:
    ... and my personal favorite is Deep Purple's "Highway Star". That track is listed as one of the "impossible" tracks, but let me tell you it is a freakin' blast playing that song!

It's one of the best songs ever there was!

I can understand why it's listed as "impossible" as you say ...

... huge jon lord keys solo ... ian gillian's howling vocals ... ritchie blackmore in all his insanly amazing glory on lead guitar ...

I may be dating myself (granted, I was probably 1 when this song came out ... so, really didn't get into this until later in my life) but this song rocks *so* flippin' hard, even to this day ... and makes the commercial for Rockband worth watching every time.

It's the perfect song for them to market this thing ...
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    i think 10c should put out a fan club video game that has all their albums on it.
    i would pay $320 for a game like this.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the guitar for Guitar Hero 3 is compatible with the PS2 version of Rock Band?
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the guitar for Guitar Hero 3 is compatible with the PS2 version of Rock Band?
    someone said earlier in this thread that it is not... only the xbox GH control is compatible with the xbox RB

• Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    I have this for the 360 if anybody would want to team up online! Shoot me a PM!!
  • Options
    The PS3 GH guitar is not compatible.

The PS2 - I don't know...
  • Options
    gndcd402 wrote:
    I have this for the 360 if anybody would want to team up online! Shoot me a PM!!
    online? these things go online now?? does my N64 have that capability? :p

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    online? these things go online now?? does my N64 have that capability? :p

Dude, I think it's time to ditch the N64. They've put out a GameCube a long time ago to succeed the N64, and about a year ago, they released the Wii which succeeds the GameCube! You're a few generations back! If you're a loyal Nintendo fan, the Wii is a lot of fun, but I don't know if RockBand is on Wii (someone mentioned it isn't??), but the Wii does have Guitar Hero.

And no, you're N64 does not go online.
    Rock on!
    ~Edward