ACL ...unimpressed

13»

Comments

• gonzogonzo Posts: 748
    SolarWorld wrote:
    People that are overly critical of this band never cease to amaze me. One of the greatest rock bands ever with one of the most talented front men rock has ever seen could give two shits what some douche bags on the internet think about the "mixing" and "ed doesnt sound 24 anymore, whhaaa whaaa". Shut up... really. IMO just because you are an "uber fan" you don't have the right to talk shit on their "porch".

First off, chill the hell out.
    This is an open forum on their site, we can discuss, debate or criticize as we see fit.
    Not only that, but I bet you the band does care about the mixing. Ed has REPEATEDLY complained about sound problems DURING concerts, even stopping shows when the sound is wrong. Concerts that he aims to have a certain high sound quality and expects his crew and the venue to uphold.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts... be careful about calling people douchebags.. be polite.
    peace,
    gonzo
    4/10/94, 9/28/96, 9/29/96, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/01/04, 9/15/05, 9/30/05, 10/01/05, 5/4/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/31/09, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/15/13, 10/18/13, 10/19/13, 10/25/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 5/1/16, 5/2/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 8/8/18, 8/10/18, 9/10/22, 9/11/22
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 481
    IMO

HORRIBLE mix. Too much Mike, not enough Ed, Stone and Matt. Very excited to watch besides this bad mix... Have listened to the current tour boots and they are mixed wonderfully. I sure wish PJs sound team mixed this tv show... Sounds like a cassette recording of a concert. Shocked at how bad the ACL people mixed this. Thought Stevie Ray was great. Eric johnson was incredible... totally botched PJ...
  • i liked it. i think too many message boarders are expecting a perfect translation of a typical live experience. its just not gonna happen in a tv studio.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    i liked it. i think too many message boarders are expecting a perfect translation of a typical live experience. its just not gonna happen in a tv studio.

no it wasn't that, it was just the levels weren't balanced right, if you heard the actual on TV version, you wouldn't have heard stones guitar unless you strained your hearing. i'm surprised some of you don't realize this, it wasn't just a slight imbalance, it was like 0 decibels on stone and like 1,000,000 decibels on mike. i would expect that to bother most people, not just the extremely sound stubborn fan.

i'm assuming all the people complaining about me complaining all watched it via the internet and not the PBS TV broadcast...this leads me to believe it's PBS's fault for the bad sound mixing, not PJ and not ACL
  • MrSmith wrote:
    i liked it. i think too many message boarders are expecting a perfect translation of a typical live experience. its just not gonna happen in a tv studio.

no it wasn't that, it was just the levels weren't balanced right, if you heard the actual on TV version, you wouldn't have heard stones guitar unless you strained your hearing. i'm surprised some of you don't realize this, it wasn't just a slight imbalance, it was like 0 decibels on stone and like 1,000,000 decibels on mike. i would expect that to bother most people, not just the extremely sound stubborn fan.

i'm assuming all the people complaining about me complaining all watched it via the internet and not the PBS TV broadcast...this leads me to believe it's PBS's fault for the bad sound mixing, not PJ and not ACL
    i'm gonna watch it again tonight to be sure, but i was having the opposite problem. i could hear Stone but not Mike. i seem to be the only one that had this problem though.
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 481
    I'm watching the DVR'd PBS broadcast and it sounds like a recording of a guy in his basement who has his guitar cranked up playing along with a PJ cassette tape.... It's like 95% Mike, 40% Jeff, 25% Ed, 15% Matt and 5% Stone in the mix... what the hell happened? Even my wife was like WTF happened to Pearl Jam? this sounds like shite...
  • davidos wrote:
    I'm watching the DVR'd PBS broadcast and it sounds like a recording of a guy in his basement who has his guitar cranked up playing along with a PJ cassette tape.... It's like 95% Mike, 40% Jeff, 25% Ed, 15% Matt and 5% Stone in the mix... what the hell happened? Even my wife was like WTF happened to Pearl Jam? this sounds like shite...

see! I'M NOT ALONE!
  • davidos wrote:

see! I'M NOT ALONE!
    don't worry some people on here think your complaining about the band somehow.

however i completely agree with you i watched it on PBS and the sound sucked balls. you literally could not hear stone one bit. it just sounded empty without the rhythm guitar parts being audible. the performance was great. i'm sure the sound was great live, etc. but this broadcast was mixed horribly. the one thing i disagree with you on is that i could hear jeff a little bit.
  • i still think its Mike thats mixed out, not Stone. i can hear Stone loud and clear except on Fixer. but none of its enough to ruin it for me.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I didn't read the whole thread, but I did feel Ed was turned down too much in the mix.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    I watched it again last night the mix sucked not the band so let's just all agree on that what do you expect from Pbs ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    I watched it again last night the mix sucked not the band so let's just all agree on that what do you expect from Pbs ..
    true
    still one of the better tv shows I have seen recently :mrgreen: