ACL ...unimpressed

Comments

• ...you don't hear the crowd at all, a PJ live performance seems naked without being able to hear the crowd,

You dont hear the crowd because there was nothing to hear, I was at the live simulcast and the audio was amazing, those people were not fans, 99% where people the knew people and thats how they got the tkts, the lady that sold my friends her tkt didn't know anything about their music she was taking her mother who had never heard of Pearl Jam... there were like 3 true fans in there, 2 of them were friends of mine and the other girl was the one in front row wearing the PJ shirt... so really there was 0 crowd participation.

Still doesn't make up for the fact that Ed's voice sounded like shit.

I chalk it up to smoking and possibly having a cold because when I saw him in Philly he sounded fine.

im not making excuses for Ed's voice, I think he struggled that night, I was referring specifically to the audience and their participation which was pretty much non-existent, I mean they were dancing and clapping but they were not fans, there was more audience participation at the live simulcast! lol We had a blast at the simulcast and the whole show was really good and Ed was really chatty that night :)
    I dont know it it was a cold though because he sounded fine the night before with KOL and he sounded good on Sunday atht ACL as well... :?
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • FY51755 wrote:

Eddie, the average attempts to quit smoking it takes to be successful is SEVEN. So do not get discouraged. If you would like, I can write you a prescription for Chantix. It is a 12 week prescription. If you do not like medications than the best method for quitting is 'cold turkey.'

Of course, you have to want to quit smoking if you are ever to quit smoking. So PM me when you are ready ;)

I want to stop smoking, I really want to but I'm finding it harder than I though it would be, i've quit smoking before but that was because I was pregnant so i really had no choice so I guess it wasn't that hard but now that I'm not pregnant its really hard, you really think that wanting to stop and taking medication could really work?
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    so far from what i've seen, PJ are doing great jobs, but the sound board is mixed horribly, too much emphasis on mike, not enough stone or jeff...you don't hear the crowd at all, a PJ live performance seems naked without being able to hear the crowd, it feels like it's a guitar a singer and a drummer jamming in a practice space, again from what i've seen PJ is putting on a great show, but this broadcast is not doing them justice

agree, terrible sound work, i noticed right away on johnny guitar...as far as the crowd i agree also about the nakedness but it was a smaller for TV low key venue. good analysis. i liked it overall thou, its hard for me to be unimpressed.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I agree that it was not the best sounding but I still loved seeing them on TV!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • if anyone can burn this to dvd for me please pm me

i recorded this to dvr but cant have the software to burn it and its on my secondary tv not my main one :(

PJ opened with "Just Breathe" ? but on the setlist it doesnt show this song, unless i missed it

thanks
  • how anyone could be unimpressed with Porch and Red Mosquito is beyond me.

and the fact that Pearl Jam was chosen to close the doors on a venue
    where so many legends have played is quite impressive too.

Porch blew me away. Period.
    Nice shirt.
  • gonzogonzo Posts: 748
    so far from what i've seen, PJ are doing great jobs, but the sound board is mixed horribly, too much emphasis on mike, not enough stone or jeff...you don't hear the crowd at all, a PJ live performance seems naked without being able to hear the crowd, it feels like it's a guitar a singer and a drummer jamming in a practice space, again from what i've seen PJ is putting on a great show, but this broadcast is not doing them justice

I completely agree. I'm draughting an email to PBS or ACL or whoever let that horrible sound mix on TV and asking that they fix the sound mix and re-air the program at once, with an apology to the band and the fans.
    I'm thinking of putting it up here first to gather e-signatures.
    Who's with me?
    peace,
    gonzo
    4/10/94, 9/28/96, 9/29/96, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/01/04, 9/15/05, 9/30/05, 10/01/05, 5/4/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/31/09, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/15/13, 10/18/13, 10/19/13, 10/25/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 5/1/16, 5/2/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 8/8/18, 8/10/18, 9/10/22, 9/11/22
  • gonzo wrote:

I completely agree. I'm draughting an email to PBS or ACL or whoever let that horrible sound mix on TV and asking that they fix the sound mix and re-air the program at once, with an apology to the band and the fans.
    Who's with me?

i'm with you, but to my understanding, the sound seemed fine on the internet but poor on TV (i haven't watched the internet one yet) they might have fixed it prior to putting it on the internet...i'll have to watch it later to see for myself
  • llovellove Posts: 106
    I was very impressed. An observation...I have a Samsung HDTV and a Sony Soundbar. If I listen to tv only, it's thin, no bass, not much Stone, vocals are there but not up much. Basically sucks sound-wise, not performance-wise though. Turned on the soundbar (simulated surround sound, not ideal but what I could afford) and viola! Jeff and Stone come alive and it's so much better. But Ed's voice lowers in the mix. Geez I wish I could mix it myself! Even though Ed struggles some to deliver, I loved every minute of it! :D
    makes much more sense, to live in the present tense
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Gmoney wrote:
    im sorry, i always try to be positive and kind on the porch- but i have to say this, if you have any complaints about that performance you're an idiot. i watched it online, MAYBE there was a difference on tv, but jeff and stone sounded great online and that may have been one of the best pearl jam performances ive ever seen, unreal.

Im listening to it online and the first thing I noticed in the fixer was how I could actually hear jeffs bass in it. I heard stone fine in amongst the waves too.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    Just curious if any of you listened to the broadcast through an audio receiver/ home theater speakers, as opposed to just the standard TV speakers?

This is how I listened to it and I thought it sounded pretty good. However, I have not tried listening to the performance without the enhancements of a digital audio receiver, so I have not noticed the "poor quality" audio as of yet.
  • Gmoney wrote:
    im sorry, i always try to be positive and kind on the porch- but i have to say this, if you have any complaints about that performance you're an idiot. i watched it online, MAYBE there was a difference on tv, but jeff and stone sounded great online and that may have been one of the best pearl jam performances ive ever seen, unreal.

Im listening to it online and the first thing I noticed in the fixer was how I could actually hear jeffs bass in it. I heard stone fine in amongst the waves too.

so then it's official, the internet is mixed better than it was on TV...i'll have to check it out, but being a college student, duty calls and have to write a 6 page paper with annotated bibliography, so no time to check it out for a few days till i get it done, it's bad enough i'm procrastinating with this.
  • Just curious if any of you listened to the broadcast through an audio receiver/ home theater speakers, as opposed to just the standard TV speakers?

This is how I listened to it and I thought it sounded pretty good. However, I have not tried listening to the performance without the enhancements of a digital audio receiver, so I have not noticed the "poor quality" audio as of yet.

i wonder if there was a difference between watching it on the HD station as opposed to the SD station, i don't have HD on my personal bedroom TV which is where i watched it
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Gmoney wrote:

so then it's official, the internet is mixed better than it was on TV...i'll have to check it out, but being a college student, duty calls and have to write a 6 page paper with annotated bibliography, so no time to check it out for a few days till i get it done, it's bad enough i'm procrastinating with this.
    Hey im sorry man, I didnt mean to call you an idiot... im sure the online mix was different than tv. i was a little drunk and totally inspired by watching acl online late last night... opinion on sound makes no one an idiot.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Just watched the web stream and I thought it was decent.

Ed looks, or SOUNDS like he needs a vacation. Wow, so of those notes were harsh!

I agree on the audio mix. Stone, and Jeff really needed to be turned up.

While it may not have been the most epic performance ever, it was still PJ and I enjoyed it.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    gonzo wrote:

Who's with me?

I'm not. The last part of ACL was Ed meeting with some of the military vets who had parts of their bodies blown off. You know, real problems? Takes balls to email PBS asking for an apology for the sound quality on your tv of a free broadcast that was filmed in front of military veterans to bring some joy to their lives. You did not pay for this event. Let Pearl Jam worry about the sound quality.

I have a 10 year old 19 inch tv and you know what I texted to a buddy after the show was over? "We are lucky to have found this band." You should be sending pbs a check, not an angry email from a spoiled fan.
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    People that are overly critical of this band never cease to amaze me. One of the greatest rock bands ever with one of the most talented front men rock has ever seen could give two shits what some douche bags on the internet think about the "mixing" and "ed doesnt sound 24 anymore, whhaaa whaaa". Shut up... really. IMO just because you are an "uber fan" you don't have the right to talk shit on their "porch".
  • Bootlegger +100
    Solar World +100

Thanks.... :D
  • JBiiJBii Posts: 354
    I liked it, even though it was different and what a great way to end a saturday night.
    Actually watched it twice but fell asleep during the second time around.
    That what you fear the most could meet you halfway
  • so far from what i've seen, PJ are doing great jobs, but the sound board is mixed horribly, too much emphasis on mike, not enough stone or jeff...you don't hear the crowd at all, a PJ live performance seems naked without being able to hear the crowd, it feels like it's a guitar a singer and a drummer jamming in a practice space, again from what i've seen PJ is putting on a great show, but this broadcast is not doing them justice

Here's a pretty good mix of it that you might want to check out: http://wegotshit.blogspot.com/2009/11/a ... 00309.html
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Gmoney wrote:

Hey im sorry man, I didnt mean to call you an idiot... im sure the online mix was different than tv. i was a little drunk and totally inspired by watching acl online late last night... opinion on sound makes no one an idiot.

You're forgiven, alcohol can do that to you

but to those who are bitching about me bitching...

i'm not downing this band at all. from what i could hear, the performance was awesome. i've made an emphasis on that point. it's the mixing...those of you bitching to me, you must have watched it on the internet, cause Stone's guitar was practically silent, ***SILENT*** on TV. that's where i'm complaining...not the band, not the performance, it's the broadcast. how would you like it if you're watching to PJ on TV and ed's mic isn't audible?
  • so far from what i've seen, PJ are doing great jobs, but the sound board is mixed horribly, too much emphasis on mike, not enough stone or jeff...you don't hear the crowd at all, a PJ live performance seems naked without being able to hear the crowd, it feels like it's a guitar a singer and a drummer jamming in a practice space, again from what i've seen PJ is putting on a great show, but this broadcast is not doing them justice

Here's a pretty good mix of it that you might want to check out: http://wegotshit.blogspot.com/2009/11/a ... 00309.html

That's the same audio that I listened to a month ago.
    The mix is better, but it still doesn't fix Ed's voice on the high notes.
  • its a tv show. all ACL's sound like that. it was fine.
  • This band does not "come across" on TV. Led Zeppelin did'nt like doing television for this same reason. :mrgreen:
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    Eddie's voice on The End.....yikes, painful to listen to
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    SolarWorld wrote:
    People that are overly critical of this band never cease to amaze me. One of the greatest rock bands ever with one of the most talented front men rock has ever seen could give two shits what some douche bags on the internet think about the "mixing" and "ed doesnt sound 24 anymore, whhaaa whaaa". Shut up... really. IMO just because you are an "uber fan" you don't have the right to talk shit on their "porch".

So us "douche bags" can never criticize anything we see from the band? Really?

Seems to me the band would be supportive of an open debate. Then again, I suppose I am an "uber fan" and should just shut up...

Worst post of the month award goes to SolarWorld :thumbup:
  • SolarWorld wrote:
    IMO just because you are an "uber fan" you don't have the right to talk shit on their "porch".

I don't know what an "uber fan" is but I think the $20 fanclub membership fee you pay every year gives you the right to say whatever you want on their "porch"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,972

You dont hear the crowd because there was nothing to hear, I was at the live simulcast and the audio was amazing, those people were not fans, 99% where people the knew people and thats how they got the tkts, the lady that sold my friends her tkt didn't know anything about their music she was taking her mother who had never heard of Pearl Jam... there were like 3 true fans in there, 2 of them were friends of mine and the other girl was the one in front row wearing the PJ shirt... so really there was 0 crowd participation.

That crowd was fucking Pathetic, with a capital P :wtf: . Really, it was painful to watch. Quite the opposite of the Ed Sullivan Theater show. Thank god Mrs.Vedder's two friends were there ;) ! At one point, you'll see some d**che, sitting down, arms folded and patting one shoulder for his version of applause. During Porch, you can see Ed waiting for the usual crowd response but quickly realizing it's not coming. He shoulda gone off on their lame asses, circa 1992 :lol::lol::lol:

I thought the show was great......especially after they got that Backspacer dreck out of the way :shock: :shock: .
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 137
    you don't hear the crowd at all, a PJ live performance seems naked without being able to hear the crowd

Its because it was an uncovered outdoor show. Just like the Bonnaroo show. Listen to the boot. Crowd noise was almost non exsistant. But I was there, and it was loud as all hell... The mix of the strings though isnt soo good...

Ok if you were at ACL you would know that ACL (TV) isn't outside... it is in a studio on the 6th floor of a building. Anyway, just had to say that.

Shifting gears... I was at the taping and during the performance I remarked to my friend that the sound was the best I had heard live (been to 15 PJ shows... Ed @ the Ryman might have sounded better but it wasn't PJ). Perhaps that clear and full sound didn't translate to TV... but yeah, live it was great.

As far as the crowd goes... it wasn't a typical PJ crowd, there wasn't a whole lot of singing along or pogoing. I attributed it to the snobbish and spoiled Austin crowd.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,972
    Isaac wrote:

Its because it was an uncovered outdoor show. Just like the Bonnaroo show. Listen to the boot. Crowd noise was almost non exsistant. But I was there, and it was loud as all hell... The mix of the strings though isnt soo good...

Ok if you were at ACL you would know that ACL (TV) isn't outside... it is in a studio on the 6th floor of a building. Anyway, just had to say that.

he meant he was at Bonnaroo.
    gonzo wrote:

Who's with me?

Please tell me you're joking. Please. :shh:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13