ACL ...unimpressed

PJ Fan est. 1990PJ Fan est. 1990 Posts: 1,788
edited November 2009 in The Porch
so far from what i've seen, PJ are doing great jobs, but the sound board is mixed horribly, too much emphasis on mike, not enough stone or jeff...you don't hear the crowd at all, a PJ live performance seems naked without being able to hear the crowd, it feels like it's a guitar a singer and a drummer jamming in a practice space, again from what i've seen PJ is putting on a great show, but this broadcast is not doing them justice
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    i think the crowds a little reserved because of the venue.not knocking ACL though, been watchin for most of those 35 years. just laid back, low key. only 300 people i think i read somewhere.LUCKY DOGS
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• OkOk Posts: 2,144
    I had a similar reaction while watching, but I think the environment at ACL is just so different from a normal PJ show its hard to compare. I still thought it sounds OK for a TV show. Especially some of the shit they play on FUSE.
  • The sound was off imo as well. About half way thru i didnt notice it as much. Red mosquito sounded awesome with ben on slide guitar. And Inside job might be the most under appericated song ever.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • this would have been so much better if we were able to hear stone, especially during DTE and the guitar duel during Porch, and i think turn mike down a little cause the random little riffs he does that makes the music that much better sounded like random solo cuts, i think turning him down just a little bit could have fixed that
  • The sound was off imo as well. About half way thru i didnt notice it as much. Red mosquito sounded awesome with ben on slide guitar. And Inside job might be the most under appericated song ever.

well yeah the songs where mike plays a constant rhythem sounded good because it masked the fact stone wasn't audible.
  • in think this was an amazing taping and i love hearing mike up close and personal...porch with mike and stone was freakin amazing!
  • JM58975 wrote:
    in think this was an amazing taping and i love hearing mike up close and personal...porch with mike and stone was freakin amazing!

taping was great i agree, all the camera angles and everything were excellent, my only complaint is the sound mixing, i just feel that Jeff and Stone got cut a raw deal cause they were barely audible.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Anal much?

Who cares bout all dat techy bs. You should feel great knowing pj were even asked to preform this legendary special. [name-calling flame-bait comment removed by admin] :roll:.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• metsfan wrote:
    Anal much?

Who cares bout all dat techy bs. You should feel great knowing pj were even asked to preform this legendary special. You sheep never cease to amaze me :roll:.

People that care about sound care about the techy BS :roll:

Sheep is someone that blindly follows, which is not what the OP was doing.
    NERDS!
    metsfan wrote:
    Anal much?

Who cares bout all dat techy bs. You should feel great knowing pj were even asked to preform this legendary special. You sheep never cease to amaze me :roll:.

awww that's cute you're sticking up for the OP. [the worst rude comment removed by admin]

My post was a sarcastic one. Guess I needed to put one of those stupid smileys in my post.

Btw- stone sounded killer on DTE

• metsfan wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Anal much?

awww that's cute you're sticking up for the OP. I didn't know you like to suck dick SOS. :P

My post was a sarcastic one. Guess I needed to put one of those stupid smileys in my post.

Btw- stone sounded killer on DTE
    Always an excuse when you get called out. :lol:
    NERDS!
  • DPrival78DPrival78 Posts: 2,263
    just finished up watching online.. there was plenty of stone and jeff in the mix, i thought. sounded good to me.

(eddie needs to stop smoking though)
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    im sorry, i always try to be positive and kind on the porch- but i have to say this, if you have any complaints about that performance you're an idiot. i watched it online, MAYBE there was a difference on tv, but jeff and stone sounded great online and that may have been one of the best pearl jam performances ive ever seen, unreal.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    preface this by saying, i am a bit drunk and just got home from no code.....

quit the fucking bitching. what did you expect, they recorded a tv show with a few hundred people in the audience, you surely didn't expect a crowd like the spectrum.

someone is always fucking complaining
    metsfan wrote:
    Anal much?

what he said
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

quit the fucking bitching. what did you expect, they recorded a tv show with a few hundred people in the audience, you surely didn't expect a crowd like the spectrum.

what he said

btw- did fake stone suck like always. he can never seem to play alive right. hehe i kid

metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

what he said

btw- did fake stone suck like always. he can never seem to play alive right. hehe i kid

haha, they sounded good to me but i am not that picky.

the RATM tribute killed it.
  • Don't really notice the bad mixing. But listening to Eddies struggling voice hurts my ears. Sounds really bad.

If it wasn't Eddie/Pearl Jam to would not accept it. Now your in denial. It sounds very bad.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • [/quote]you don't hear the crowd at all, a PJ live performance seems naked without being able to hear the crowd

Its because it was an uncovered outdoor show. Just like the Bonnaroo show. Listen to the boot. Crowd noise was almost non exsistant. But I was there, and it was loud as all hell... The mix of the strings though isnt soo good...
  • What the shit happened to my qoutes.... HAH. :twisted:
  • ...you don't hear the crowd at all, a PJ live performance seems naked without being able to hear the crowd,

You dont hear the crowd because there was nothing to hear, I was at the live simulcast and the audio was amazing, those people were not fans, 99% where people the knew people and thats how they got the tkts, the lady that sold my friends her tkt didn't know anything about their music she was taking her mother who had never heard of Pearl Jam... there were like 3 true fans in there, 2 of them were friends of mine and the other girl was the one in front row wearing the PJ shirt... so really there was 0 crowd participation.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Gmoney wrote:
    i watched it online, MAYBE there was a difference on tv, but jeff and stone sounded great online and that may have been one of the best pearl jam performances ive ever seen, unreal.

the sound must have been different online, cause i was all ready and raring for Stone on DTE, they do a close up shot of his solo and you see him playing it, but you don't hear what he's playing, believe me i'm not one to complain much about pour sound, but when you literally can't hear squat of what stone is playing or hardly hear Jeff's bass, not being able to hear Matt's high hat even, then i think it's ok to complain cause it really took away from the performance that much.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    whatever-true eds voice was not in top form and the mix was funky
    but
    its nice to have some live PJ on my DVR which I can watch anytime

its worth it just for the red mosquito and the porch
  • I Give it an 8.

Good show... watched online....

Eddie's voice was about as bad as I've heard him, yet still gave a good performance.

Didn't like the sound mix, as usual when it comes to PJ on TV shows ....

Highlights for me were Unthought Known, Army Reserve, Porch, Just Breathe, Inside Job, Red Mosquito.
    Now bring me my beer.
  • ...you don't hear the crowd at all, a PJ live performance seems naked without being able to hear the crowd,

You dont hear the crowd because there was nothing to hear, I was at the live simulcast and the audio was amazing, those people were not fans, 99% where people the knew people and thats how they got the tkts, the lady that sold my friends her tkt didn't know anything about their music she was taking her mother who had never heard of Pearl Jam... there were like 3 true fans in there, 2 of them were friends of mine and the other girl was the one in front row wearing the PJ shirt... so really there was 0 crowd participation.

Still doesn't make up for the fact that Ed's voice sounded like shit.

I chalk it up to smoking and possibly having a cold because when I saw him in Philly he sounded fine.
  • I watched on TV and I could barely hear Stone's guitar, but Mike was super loud. It was very disappointing that it was so poorly balanced.

That said I thought the band sounded really good. (At least the parts I could hear.)
  • At least you whinners got to see it. My area showed f'ing Willie Nelson. I wish that guy would die already. Jkjk.. just a little bitter I have to wait to see it.
  • Renee33Renee33 Posts: 128
    Gmoney wrote:
    im sorry, i always try to be positive and kind on the porch- but i have to say this, if you have any complaints about that performance you're an idiot. i watched it online, MAYBE there was a difference on tv, but jeff and stone sounded great online and that may have been one of the best pearl jam performances ive ever seen, unreal.

+1 (or +35 as in years of ACL - and it was impressive!)
    Dancing in irreverence
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,049
    (eddie needs to stop smoking though)[/quote]

Eddie, the average attempts to quit smoking it takes to be successful is SEVEN. So do not get discouraged. If you would like, I can write you a prescription for Chantix. It is a 12 week prescription. If you do not like medications than the best method for quitting is 'cold turkey.'

Of course, you have to want to quit smoking if you are ever to quit smoking. So PM me when you are ready ;)
  • I am 'Unimpressed' with this thread...The show was amazing. The set list was amazing. Quit whining!! Good Grief Charlie Brown... 8-)