Come Back

edited November 2009 in The Porch
Anyone ever take notice to the solo in this song? It's beautiful and fits the song perfectly.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    Its one of my favouriter songs of all time. Its what I regard as a perfect song!
  • IndyDaveIndyDave Posts: 252
    Anyone ever take notice to the solo in this song? It's beautiful and fits the song perfectly.
    Absolutely. They don't play that song live nearly enough. The version they played in Chicago on 8/23 was brilliant. I'd love to hear that solo extended a bit in concert as well. There was some discussion on here about that last year.

Indy 2010, Indy 2003, Champaign 2003, Cincy 2000, Indy 2000
    Indy 1998, West Lafayette 1994, Chicago-Lollapalooza 1992
    Cincy-Lollapalooza 1992
    ======================================

I pledge my grievance to the flag.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Love this song. I have been fortunate to have seen it played at 2 out of 3 shows I have been to.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • I love this song as well.

It's amazed me to see people on here that say they hate it and don't class it as a Pearl Jam song. Until Just Breathe and The End, it was the first PJ song that came anywhere close to making me feel how Black does
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    I wholeheartedly agree with everything above, what an wonderful song. its only a matter of time before we get some negative posts here but so be it.

Its awesome, i love it, and thats whay I was shouting my nuts off at every show this year I saw to get Eddie to note it on a set. I even asked him outside a gig, and he said 'yeah' but it never happened.

I still wait on seeing it live, its THE song I am yet to hear, and I sincerely hope one day i do. Even at the manchester show this year Eddie heard my request and said 'comeback huh' before starting into low light....so frustrating...maybe next year
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Its a beautiful song- the lyrics-
    I always thought if I lost my husband- they would run constant in my head-
    "is the real possibility I may meet you in my dream
    and sometimes you're there and you're talking back to me
    come the morning I could swear you're next to me
    Its okay"
    I would miss him so much I would need him to come back if only in a dream
    the lyrics just make you feel it like so many
  • This song is great. Didn't pay much attention to it on the album, but when I heard it live, and on boots it became one of my favorites. Still prefer a live version over the album......
  • definetly a favorite for me
    I love avocado
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • one of my top 5 songs, I love it
  • it's funny, i was just thinking about that certain someone that this song speaks of for me. such a deep song that has a lot of personal meanings to many of us. this song has brought many of tears to my eyes.
    "No time to be void and save up on life, you gotta spend it all"
  • It's a beautiful song. I've had the pleasure of seeing it live twice in person. The version from DC last year is one of my favorite live PJ songs ever. The solo at the end is unreal.
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    I wholeheartedly agree with everything above, what an wonderful song. its only a matter of time before we get some negative posts here but so be it.

Its awesome, i love it, and thats whay I was shouting my nuts off at every show this year I saw to get Eddie to note it on a set. I even asked him outside a gig, and he said 'yeah' but it never happened.

I still wait on seeing it live, its THE song I am yet to hear, and I sincerely hope one day i do. Even at the manchester show this year Eddie heard my request and said 'comeback huh' before starting into low light....so frustrating...maybe next year
    This is one of my fav PJ songs and definitely one of my fav songs ever!
    rustedsigns
  • I really like the song and solo as well. Unfortunately I don't think the solo comes across as well live, especially the second half where it picks up. Maybe something with the volume, not sure. But definitely a top-notch song in my opinion.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • Great song. One of my favorite Pearl Jam tunes. The vocal communication with instrumental backgrounds is amazing. Ed really steps it up on this one. The ending is amazing. Really an emotive and touching song. I hope whenever I finally get to see them :D they play it.
    Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire?

I'll not lose my faith, it's an inside job today

St. Louis 5/4/10 Hope for many more!
  • Well i am sorry too say but i did lose my husband in 2001 and each time i play this song i ball it is one of my favorite PJ songs I hope i hear it in Sydney on the 22nd.
  • fanofed wrote:
    Well i am sorry too say but i did lose my husband in 2001 and each time i play this song i ball it is one of my favorite PJ songs I hope i hear it in Sydney on the 22nd.

So sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you get to hear this song in a few days.
  • I think it's a complete turd of a song, but it seems to have struck an emotional chord with many Pearl Jam fans. I vastly prefer "Man Of The Hour" when I feel like getting weepy.
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    just want to agree with all of you who love Come Back and express my hope that I will someday hear this song live.
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • I wasn't expecting Come Back to get this much love!! :D

Listened to it this morning, just can't get over how good the solo is. I think the only downfall in the song is the Matt Cameron "high hat" intro, other than that this song is solid. The lyrics are beautiful, Pearl Jam at it's finest!
    I think it's a complete turd of a song, but it seems to have struck an emotional chord with many Pearl Jam fans. I vastly prefer "Man Of The Hour" when I feel like getting weepy.

I think they are vastly different songs. I love man of the hour but dont feel it is on the same emotional level to come back.
  • pandora wrote:
    Its okay"

makes me think of a girl I dated in high school. i'll never forget her. I'm happily married with 2 kids but I still think of her sometimes, which kind of makes me feel guilty, but i do love my wife and wouldn't change my life if given the chance. still, some people get into your heart and they're there for good.
    "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Ben Franklin
  • pandora wrote:
    Its okay"

makes me think of a girl I dated in high school. i'll never forget her. I'm happily married with 2 kids but I still think of her sometimes, which kind of makes me feel guilty, but i do love my wife and wouldn't change my life if given the chance. still, some people get into your heart and they're there for good.

lol, hope your wife doesn't read this..
    pandora wrote:
    Its okay"

lol, hope your wife doesn't read this..

I know exactly what you mean. I had a brief but amazing fling many years ago. Due to various circumstances we went on different paths. I still think of her from time to time but I would not change my life. I love my partner very much, she is the best thing that ever happened to me. Pearl Jam aside :D
  • I was soooooo bummed when they started it at Philly 2 and Ed forgot the lyrics. Promised they would "come back" to it but never did.

Oh well, the start was nice.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • I was soooooo bummed when they started it at Philly 2 and Ed forgot the lyrics. Promised they would "come back" to it but never did.

funny...i was just going to say i hate this song and i was so glad when they fucked it up in Philly and then didn't play it. :lol::lol:

funny...i was just going to say i hate this song and i was so glad when they fucked it up in Philly and then didn't play it. :lol::lol:

Maybe you were sitting right behind me because the guy was clapping when they messed it up. It was fine since No Way was next :D
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Maybe you were sitting right behind me because the guy was clapping when they messed it up. It was fine since No Way was next :D

:mrgreen::mrgreen: maybe i was!! :lol::lol:
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,368
    "Come Back" is one of Pearl Jam's best songs. No Pearl Jam song resonates with me like that one. Virtually every word seems to tell the story of the great lost love of my life. Really, I should hate the song.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I'm just waiting for him to send me the lyrics and the break up is over.... :(
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Awesome, awesome song!!!