Evidently my ideas aren't so crazy reguarding promotion

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited November 2009 in The Porch
Now I am not deluded enough to think the band decided to do this because they read my thread on this board, but I do feel satisfaction and redemption after reading that the band is now promoting the album via tv shows.
I created a thread about a week ago, where I suggested the band promoted Backspacer in ways that worked in 1991, but were useless and stupid in 2009. Some posters came to my defense and agreed with me, but quite a few suggested, that I had no buisness telling PJ what to do, and that I am not a commercial or buisness consultant so I should shut my mouth. People talked about how PJ would never promote their music via tv shows.

We obviously someone was right, and it aint those people who were calling me out!

The fundamentals of the situation are: we live in a world where no one buys records. Illegal downloading happens and it cant be stopped. We live in a world where MTV and VH1 no longer show videos, and a world where Rolling Stone, and Spin, no longer are ways in which the majority of folks find out about new bands and music news. We live in a world where radio is no longer a reliable way to promote music.
So what do you do?

Well you tap into the means in which people DO hear and find out about new music. And thats the new media, Pitchfork, Stereogum, YouTube viral videos and of course, tv shows which often times feature new and breaking bands, unheard bands during the most emotional and pivitol scenes. Flash Forward a few weeks back featured the Nick Drake gem Place to Be.

Lets hope that Flash Forward features a great song, and that new fans find out about the band via this promotional ad.

To promote an album in this day and age: you promote via tv and soundtracks and all that.

I really dont hate to say it, but I TOLD YOU SO!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but they've used several songs on tv shows long before Backspacer. This is not a new idea.
    9/22/96, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 6/22/03, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/16/06, 7/18/06
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    I have to admit, when I heard Flash Forward was featuring a Pearl Jam song I remembered browsing your post..Crazy industry that is changing day to day..

And I've never even heard of that show before last night.
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Congratulations for rehashing what the band has already previously done (remember the Cold Case episode which featured nothing but PJ songs, and it coincided with the Ten remastered release... hmmmmmm weird).

But go ahead and pat yourself on the back... and get over yourself.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • chromiam wrote:
    Congratulations for rehashing what the band has already previously done (remember the Cold Case episode which featured nothing but PJ songs, and it coincided with the Ten remastered release... hmmmmmm weird).

I'll get over myself, when you step down off your high horse. You gonna go first?
  • Ample Jar wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but they've used several songs on tv shows long before Backspacer. This is not a new idea.

kind of makes my statement even more pertinent. Maybe I am hallucinating, but as I said, I posted about a week ago, where I said, the band promoted Backspacer in ways that made no sense. Instead of constructive criticism, many posters eviserated me for even having questioned the bands ways of promoting records. Many people suggested that, a band as legendary and respected as Pearl Jam would never stoop so low as to feature their songs in tv shows. The fact people now, are coming along and saying PJ has done this before, and that they have featured songs in tv shows before, is interesting, in many ways, but most facinating in the fact few people said as much in my original post a week back.

People acted like promoting music via a tv show was something only cheeseball musicians do.

I always find it funny, how blind people on this board are. I get it. Pearl Jam are a great and important band. But by becoming a fan or ten club member I didnt throw away my right and duty to speak out, to speak freely about anything I choose to, even if that means that I...GOD FORBID disagree with the band sometimes.

So when I post saying the band is wrong for promoting the record in old fashioned ways, I get berated and told off, yet when the band does exactly what I suggested they do, people post that I need to get over myself...HUH???

People who promote records in record stores need to get over themselves, and need to come into the 21st century, where new ways of promotion are used.

The "i worship at the altar of PJ" people need to get over themselves
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

Says the guy creating a thread to gloat.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Ample Jar wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but they've used several songs on tv shows long before Backspacer. This is not a new idea.

kind of makes my statement even more pertinent. Maybe I am hallucinating, but as I said, I posted about a week ago, where I said, the band promoted Backspacer in ways that made no sense. Instead of constructive criticism, many posters eviserated me for even having questioned the bands ways of promoting records. Many people suggested that, a band as legendary and respected as Pearl Jam would never stoop so low as to feature their songs in tv shows. The fact people now, are coming along and saying PJ has done this before, and that they have featured songs in tv shows before, is interesting, in many ways, but most facinating in the fact few people said as much in my original post a week back.

People acted like promoting music via a tv show was something only cheeseball musicians do.

I always find it funny, how blind people on this board are. I get it. Pearl Jam are a great and important band. But by becoming a fan or ten club member I didnt throw away my right and duty to speak out, to speak freely about anything I choose to, even if that means that I...GOD FORBID disagree with the band sometimes.

So when I post saying the band is wrong for promoting the record in old fashioned ways, I get berated and told off, yet when the band does exactly what I suggested they do, people post that I need to get over myself...HUH???

People who promote records in record stores need to get over themselves, and need to come into the 21st century, where new ways of promotion are used.

I'm not going to debate with you b/c I know nothing about the promotion of music. But if I had read your other post a week ago, I would have pointed out that they have had their music on several tv shows. Whether it is the band "promoting" their music on those shows or those shows just using PJ music...I have no idea.

But I do agree that we are free to disagree with how the band does things...and I'd imagine the band disagrees with each other on how to promote their music.

On a side note...I'd love for PJ to me more widespread and pervasive, but I don't want any more competition for concert tix and merchandise! :lol:
    9/22/96, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 6/22/03, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/16/06, 7/18/06
  • Ample Jar wrote:

agreed.
    also keep in mind, such things are not done at the last minute..so i am sure the band, and it's management, thought of this all by themselves. imagine that. ;)

and, actually, as to this:

"People who promote records in record stores need to get over themselves, and need to come into the 21st century, where new ways of promotion are used."

um, no they don't. believe it or not, they can choose MULTIPLE ways to promote themselves, as they see fit. given they've been at it close to 20 years, i think they may have some inkling how to go about it, and in the ways THEY want. unbelievably, how they may choose to market their own work, may not 100% align with anyone else's views of how they 'should' do it...b/c i am sure they have their own personal baramoter of how they want to manage their own work/careers.

but go ahead and tell pj how they 'should' do it..i am sure all their staff are taking notes! :D

*cue the friends finale with yellow ledbetter playing in the background*
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    edited November 2009
    chromiam wrote:

I'll get over myself, when you step down off your high horse. You gonna go first?

sorry, no high horse here, but it does wear kinda thin when you constantly start threads on this board either to gloat, espouse your great knowledge of how music should be disseminated, or any of the other topics which you feel you have superior expertise in. And then any time, someone challenges or disagrees with you, its because they are shortsighted or not informed or just plain crazy.

Again congrats for pointing out the marketing plan that PJ put in place for the rerelease of Ten, (almost a year ago) and informing us of it a few weeks ago.
    Post edited by chromiam on
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Ample Jar wrote:

Have you ever worked for a band or a label?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Ample Jar wrote:

agreed.
    also keep in mind, such things are not done at the last minute..so i am sure the band, and it's management, thought of this all by themselves. imagine that. ;)

no, no, no...last week kelly curtis was bored so he came on here and saw a genius at work and immediately implemented the op's ideas (never mind the fact the show was produced weeks ago and this type of arrangement is usually done weeks before the show airs)...i'm surprised kelly hasn't been on the phone to hire this marketing genius!!
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Why the fuck did this guy start another thread instead of posting in the one he already created?? Jesus, this guy needs attention..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Ample Jar wrote:

Last we heard, he bags groceries and aspires to someday shun society Into the Wild style..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    The Champ wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Last we heard, he bags groceries and aspires to someday shun society Into the Wild style..

seems like the perfect qualifications to be in the music business...it's the Uzbekistan music business but still...
    chromiam wrote:
    chromiam wrote:

sorry, no high horse here, but it does wear kinda thin when you constantly start threads on this board either to gloat, espouse your great knowledge of how music should be disseminated, or any of the other topics which you feel you have superior expertise in. And then any time, someone challenges or disagrees with you, its because they are shortsighted or not informed or just plain crazy.

Again congrats for pointing out the marketing plan that PJ put in place for the rerelease of Ten, (almost a year ago) and informing us of it a few weeks ago.

lol....yeah, you're the one who is on the high horse..is this guy for real?
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • oh and he reads about music, which has made him a self-professed industry expert and if you have an opposing viewpoint you're either going to be considered crazy, or an idiot by him.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Ample Jar wrote:

It's not that Pearl Jam is too good to have their songs on tv, but that the band is too good to have their songs on the tv shows you suggested.
    Why didn't you answer this guy, and others in your old thread before starting a new one? He is still waiting..
    joewalshdc wrote:
    dude is any of this tongue in cheek? Can i ask, are you a professional recording artist? I have read none of the replies to your original post, ive purely read your post. Some of it seems to me like your taking the piss....are you? If you are making serious points, I want to know are you a professional recording artist. Do you tour/release records for a living? Have you read all the comments by Pearl Jam band members about this deal with Target. I am a professional recording artist. I too have had to think about new and original ways to release our singles/records/videos...If indeed you are trying to make serious arguments here, i really cant see how your line of thinking would sell anything...i cant agree with your questioning of the Backspacer strategy, I think most recording artists would love to see $4-$5 of every unit sold. I KNOW everyone of us would LOVE TO OWN OUR OWN MASTERS. I dont know of any major chain that would let the masters revert to the band, allow selling on through independent sources and release a fan club only edition. If in fact you are an artist, do you own any of your masters? Bruce Springsteen doesnt even own his. I look forward interestingly to your reply.
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    chromiam wrote:

Also, 'Come Back' from the last record was featured on 'Friday Night Lights,' which obviously proves that the band and their management are fully aware of the promotional options available to them....so he ignored facts like this in his old thread, and started a new one..lol...what a clown..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Now I am not deluded enough to think the band decided to do this because they read my thread on this board, but I do feel satisfaction and redemption after reading that the band is now promoting the album via tv shows.

A lot of songs from the last album were used in TV shows. And even old songs have shown up in TV shows as far back as 2004 when Yellow Ledbetter was in Friends and Long Road was in Scrubs.

I'm not trying to take away from your satisfaction and redemption here. I'm just sayin....
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    norm wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

seems like the perfect qualifications to be in the music business...it's the Uzbekistan music business but still...

Yup ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • norm wrote:
    Ample Jar wrote:

agreed.

no, no, no...last week kelly curtis was bored so he came on here and saw a genius at work and immediately implemented the op's ideas (never mind the fact the show was produced weeks ago and this type of arrangement is usually done weeks before the show airs)...i'm surprised kelly hasn't been on the phone to hire this marketing genius!!

:D

This is good stuff
    I think the quote below from the original thread eloquently sums up both:
    my 8 day old cocker spaniel Shitbrick could give a better model than this.
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
    People talked about how PJ would never promote their music via tv shows.

We obviously someone was right, and it aint those people who were calling me out!

Is it possible that you missed every single example people gave of PJ using tv shows to promote their music in your other thread? Do you still think it's your idea?
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    norm wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I worked in the Khazistan music biz...if it weren't for me, Korkey Buchek would not be the international star that he has become! Ever hear of a little ditty called "bing bang bing bang bong" ??
  • DPrival78DPrival78 Posts: 2,263
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I worked in the Khazistan music biz...if it weren't for me, Korkey Buchek would not be the international star that he has become! Ever hear of a little ditty called "bing bang bing bang bong" ??

yes, very nice!
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    nice try amigo, but this is a far cry from the gossip girl, Icarly, hannah montana exposure you advocated

from TV guide:

Coming soon: Pearl Jam supplies the beat for part of the November 12 episode. “Unthought Known,” off the band’s new album, “Backspacer,” has not yet been released as a single but will play nearly 40 seconds – “a very long time in television time,” Goyer says – in that episode’s opening montage.

“Pearl Jam very rarely allows its music to be used for purposes like this,” Goyer says, “but they really appreciated the way we feature music in long stretches and highlight it rather than use it as background noise.”

clearly they are just copying the who again ala CSI ;)
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,368

The fundamentals of the situation are: we live in a world where no one buys records. Illegal downloading happens and it cant be stopped.

Actually, the majority of record sales are still via purchases of physical CDs. So this is a rather large overstatement. Illegal downloads don't even account for the majority of downloads.

We live in a world where MTV and VH1 no longer show videos, and a world where Rolling Stone, and Spin, no longer are ways in which the majority of folks find out about new bands and music news. We live in a world where radio is no longer a reliable way to promote music.

First of all, Rolling Stone and Spin, combined, have a circulation of just under 2 million. There has never been a time in which "the majority of folks" found out about new bands and music news from those magazines. By far-- overwhelmingly so-- the way most people find out about new music is via radio. This is still the case. Nothing drives album sales like a hit single on the radio. Nothing else is even close. There are exceptions where bands have built sizeable audiences without support from radio, but they are exceptions that prove the rule.

I see that this thread evolved into a bit of a pissing match. This post is not intended as a contribution to that. It's just a correction of the record.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Whaddya say everyone have a nice cup of shut the fuck up and enjoy the music.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • you know what, decides2dream, the champ and mookey, can shut the hell up!

You all posted on my original thread how PEARL JAM WOULD NEVER lower themselves to promote their music via tv promotions. You said it, I didnt. Then when you are proven wrong, and the band blatantly promotes, you slam me, for gloating. You dont like my thread. Leave it. I dont give a damn about it.

Evidently, I have to have a PHD in business to be taken seriously by you 3 idiots. Where are your freakin credentials?

Just because you think you know me based on some posts on a board, and let me assure you, you do not, doesnt mean I cant have knowledge on issues.

Its damn funny, my first sentence on this post was to say, I didnt think obviously that the band had done any of this based on my thread. Yet, people, ten posts deep, are talking about how I think I influenced the band to do something.

Yeah, and the other 50 threads on the Front Porch about "play this song or that" and then after the setlist is reviewed people act like Stone or Ed read that post and changed the setlist to suit some idiot poster on this board. I mean, hypocrisy is hyposcrisy. Either the band reads NO threads, or they read all threads. They sure as hell, dont pick and choose. "Oh hey, theres a setlist thread, I will read this and pass this along to ed". "Oh heres someone saying we did something wrong, I just wont read this one". Give me a break.
This discussion has been closed.