Pearl Jam and ticket prices.

13»

Comments

• Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    you'd have to pay me way more than $250. to go see those douche bags!! god i hate Bono...what happened to them? :wtf: they were really good when they first came out....now they are a bunch of ball lickers!

So true! Back in the day their live performances were phenomenally raw and passionate and their music was so powerful and moving that I feel lucky to have witnessed a couple of shows during the Unforgettable Fire & Joshua Tree era. I would even have to admit that U2 was probably the first band I ever listened to whose lyrics were more thought provoking and political in nature than most of the stuff I was listening to at that time in my life.

They showed me that you could inspire a world through a song and that music could be more than just a vehicle for having a good time (although there is nothing wrong with music solely intended for this). But somewhere right after Achtung Baby it all took a horrible turn imo. The last time I went to go see them play live was during the Pop Mart tour and man was I was horrified with what the band had become! Needless to say I have not seen them live since.

Maybe give I'll give it another 5-10 years and maybe then I'll pay those outlandish ticket prices when they're the feature act with one of the hotels on the Las Vegas strip because that's where this circus act is headed I'm afraid.

RM
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    actually, my tickets for u2 when they came to Toronto was cheaper than my tickets for EV when he came to toronto. let the hate out ladies and gentleman. if you don't like U2 don't see them.
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    fife wrote:
    actually, my tickets for u2 when they came to Toronto was cheaper than my tickets for EV when he came to toronto. let the hate out ladies and gentleman. if you don't like U2 don't see them.

U2 is playing Massey Hall? Can you imagine the cost if they were? Not a very good comparison, especially since tickets up close to the EV show didn't cost $250 face.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
    fife wrote:

U2 is playing Massey Hall? Can you imagine the cost if they were? Not a very good comparison, especially since tickets up close to the EV show didn't cost $250 face.

i actually had close to the front for u2 and the tickets were $70 odd dollars. that is cheaper than i pay for pearl jam when they came to toronto 3 months ago. the $250 tickets were the boxes. we must also understand that many peopel who go to U2 concerts tend to be older and don't have a problem with paying that money.

just look at next year, when the who goes on tour, you think they won't be charging over $250 a ticket. hell they will be more. agian i don't mind that they are charging that much becuase if i really wanted to see them i would pay if i can't afford it than i don't go.
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe Posts: 1,203
    I think many of the U2 critics (those who are thoughtful, and those whose crude comments unfortunately make Pearl Jam fans look like troglodytes -- remember that academic graph that showed PJ fans as some of the least intelligent?) are missing the point of the huge stage set up.

PJ can get away with the stripped down stage because they play to far smaller crowds.

U2 is selling out 80,000 seat stadiums where they are challenged to make the show more intimate for everyone. I think it speaks to the creativity and integrity of a band that they are trying to reach out and give something to every fan in a stadium, regardless of where they're sitting.

Not investing in the technology and a huge stage that allows you to make a huge venue more intimate -- just playing a stripped down rock and roll show -- I think is worse. It shows as disregard for the fans past the good seats and it's a sign of sacraficing the show for the maximum profit.

I have no problem with the way U2 has approached this tour. I've enjoyed the Backspacer and U2 tours immensely. But they are different animals.

What's more, besides the $250 seats, the best tickets in the stadium -- the GA's near the stage -- are cheaper than Pearl Jams' best seats.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • absolutely right on all points!
    bicyclejoe wrote:
    I think many of the U2 critics (those who are thoughtful, and those whose crude comments unfortunately make Pearl Jam fans look like troglodytes -- remember that academic graph that showed PJ fans as some of the least intelligent?) are missing the point of the huge stage set up.

PJ can get away with the stripped down stage because they play to far smaller crowds.

U2 is selling out 80,000 seat stadiums where they are challenged to make the show more intimate for everyone. I think it speaks to the creativity and integrity of a band that they are trying to reach out and give something to every fan in a stadium, regardless of where they're sitting.

Not investing in the technology and a huge stage that allows you to make a huge venue more intimate -- just playing a stripped down rock and roll show -- I think is worse. It shows as disregard for the fans past the good seats and it's a sign of sacraficing the show for the maximum profit.

I have no problem with the way U2 has approached this tour. I've enjoyed the Backspacer and U2 tours immensely. But they are different animals.

What's more, besides the $250 seats, the best tickets in the stadium -- the GA's near the stage -- are cheaper than Pearl Jams' best seats.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,559
    fife wrote:

I did both Montreal & both Toronto EV Solo show's August '08. The 10club ticket's costed $170 for the pair per show. $85 a ticket. How much were those U2 ticket's & how close were you at? Seeing that these EV show's were in a small theatre & U2 was playing @ the Roger's Centre, the atmosphere is so much different. I would rather be up close n' front & in a small venue then a huge arena @ this price. I don't mind U2. I know a few PJ fan's that can't stand Bono with a passion. Maybe something Bono said years ago. I don't really know. It's funny cause alot of my Pearl Jam friends love Wilco. I hate that band with a passion. I slept through their set here in Halifax. They bored the hell out of me. I have never been bored or slept through somebody's set .. EVER!
  • U2 floor tickets are $55
    demetrios wrote:
    fife wrote:

I did both Montreal & both Toronto EV Solo show's August '08. The 10club ticket's costed $170 for the pair per show. $85 a ticket. How much were those U2 ticket's & how close were you at? Seeing that these EV show's were in a small theatre & U2 was playing @ the Roger's Centre, the atmosphere is so much different. I would rather be up close n' front & in a small venue then a huge arena @ this price. I don't mind U2. I know a few PJ fan's that can't stand Bono with a passion. Maybe something Bono said years ago. I don't really know. It's funny cause alot of my Pearl Jam friends love Wilco. I hate that band with a passion. I slept through their set here in Halifax. They bored the hell out of me. I have never been bored or slept through somebody's set .. EVER!
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    U2 floor tickets are $55
    demetrios wrote:
    fife wrote:

This is true, but I think it is hard to get those GA seats, seems the scalpers can get them and even the fans, there are always alot of them on the resale market for significantly more then $55.

Also, $250 for 100 and 200 level seats in a stadium is absurd. The 300 level seats at far end of stadium which is a mile away are $95 ( before TM fees), this is a very high price for crappy seats. I am big U2 fan, but the ticket prices are out of control and the set list on this tour is sub par.
    I think you've strayed from the spirit of the conversation. We're not discussing resale market or the difficulty of getting the 10,000 GA tickets for the U2 stadium shows (which by themselves are nearly the same amount as many Pearl Jam shows). It's OK to acknowledge that Pearl Jam isn't the best of all things, and that other bands treat their fans right. It's not a contest. It's a party.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    I feel that Pearl Jam treat the fans right. Im not a fan of U2 other than very early stuff. I also dont mind if PJ charge a little more than some other bands. For a start, bands like Mettallica should have expired years ago. PJ give back in various forms and if we get charged a little more then so be it. I would hate to be scrabbling for tickets to see them live
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,635
    Has no one mentioned that Bon Jovi is charging $350 + and a whopping $1800 for front row? I'm sorry, (I'm not really), but after being at a U2 - 360 show, they do deserve what they are charging for premium seats. Not to mention that everything else in the venue is $95, 55$ and 35$ respectively.

Pick another band to belittle, or find a better standpoint to start from with this argument.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• I went to the show at the Rose Bowl and had decent seats for $95. I'm taking my Mom in June at Oakland and I scored GA for $55 a pop. So I'm going to see them twice and spend a total of $200 for 3 tickets to 2 shows.

So the argument isn't all that accurate.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
    bicyclejoe wrote:

Taking your argument, Bruce Springsteen is sacrificing his show for profits. He has a larger then usual stage, but then again he has more then 4 band members on the stage. His top price is $95 a ticket. And he sells out Giants Stadium as well. His biggest technology used is large screens so fans in the back can see.

Some may argue that they got up front for less $$, but for my $85 ticket I don't have to wait all day in a queue to get a good spot.

And speaking of their integrity? Why do they refuse to support the homeland they always capitalize on? It isn't integrity, it is ego, pure and simple. They want to be the biggest rock n roll show going.
    They want to be the biggest rock n roll show going.

I think they've succeeded, for better or worse.
  • best band in the world...pay..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    bicyclejoe wrote:

Taking your argument, Bruce Springsteen is sacrificing his show for profits. He has a larger then usual stage, but then again he has more then 4 band members on the stage. His top price is $95 a ticket. And he sells out Giants Stadium as well. His biggest technology used is large screens so fans in the back can see.

Some may argue that they got up front for less $$, but for my $85 ticket I don't have to wait all day in a queue to get a good spot.

And speaking of their integrity? Why do they refuse to support the homeland they always capitalize on? It isn't integrity, it is ego, pure and simple. They want to be the biggest rock n roll show going.

are you talking about U2 an dsupoorting Thei rhomeland? i hope not. U2 head quarters is still based in in dublin. that brings alot of money to the country.
    "are you talking about U2 and supoorting Their homeland? i hope not. U2 head quarters is still based in in dublin. that brings a lot of money to the country."

The band's tax base is in Holland, which has a tax cap of 250,000 Euros for royalties, album sales, and touring proceeds. So yes, they do pay some taxes in Ireland, but not nearly the amount they should. Some may say it's a Global market and they are paying global taxes. But it is a classic example of the rich getting richer while the tax burden gets put on the working class. And they want nations to tax their citizens to help 3rd world countries? Sure, as soon as they stop hiding their money in tax havens and pay their fair share.

Here is a link to an article proving this point.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fro ... 94634.html

Got to love Edge's "take my ball and go home" attitude with regards to renovating their hotel and building their egotistical tower in Ireland.
    "are you talking about U2 and supoorting Their homeland? i hope not. U2 head quarters is still based in in dublin. that brings a lot of money to the country."

The band's tax base is in Holland, which has a tax cap of 250,000 Euros for royalties, album sales, and touring proceeds. So yes, they do pay some taxes in Ireland, but not nearly the amount they should. Some may say it's a Global market and they are paying global taxes. But it is a classic example of the rich getting richer while the tax burden gets put on the working class. And they want nations to tax their citizens to help 3rd world countries? Sure, as soon as they stop hiding their money in tax havens and pay their fair share.

Got to love Edge's "take my ball and go home" attitude with regards to renovating their hotel and building their egotistical tower in Ireland.

if you read the article, it shows that they moved part of their bussiness. u2 still pays alot of money in taxes all around teh world.
    fife wrote:

if you read the article, it shows that they moved part of their bussiness. u2 still pays alot of money in taxes all around teh world.

Did read the article. You need to comprehend that they are taking advantage of a highly unethical tax loop hole that allows them to avoid paying taxes on a significant portion of their income. If they didn't walk around with huge egos and tell other nations how to use their tax dollars I wouldn't care. Hell the groups they are working with are coming out against them! That has to say something....

If the band was so rightous they would not use this tax haven, but unfortunately business and ethics don't go together.