Football (USA) vs Hockey

13»

Comments

• Jason P wrote:
    I would give hockey the edge as they play 82 games (plus up to 28 playoff games).

exactly what I was going to post.

the endurance of playing up to 3 games a week is very impressive alone, but then couple that with the violence and hockey wins hands down.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    What's the condition of retired hockey player??

It seems like every retired football player has some kinda recurring problem.

Not sure about retired hockey guys.

But the ills of football players doesn't make it a tougher game.

Astro turf (the old stuff pre-2000) and steroids might be two major factors for their health problems.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    DewieCox wrote:
    What's the condition of retired hockey player??

It seems like every retired football player has some kinda recurring problem.

Not sure about retired hockey guys.

But the ills of football players doesn't make it a tougher game.

That's exactly what it would tell me.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I also think that football players generally have shorter careers says a lot...not only shorter careers but productivity is generally shorter, especially the running back position, look at Tomlinson from San Diego, just a few years ago he was talked about as challenging Smith's rushing record, but you can really see that he's on the decline and I don't think he's even 30.

If you watch enough football you can see how violent those hits and rarely a game goes by that doesn't have a least one bone chilling hit.

As for hockey I have watched many a game when there is no real hitting going on, just your average physical contact.

Plus the NHL has rules in place like no hitting from behind, boarding etc which lessens the impact.

In the NFL they can clock a wide receiver or running from any angle going full speed, which often does not allow these players an opportunity to brace for impact.

Both sports are no doubt rough and you have to be tough, but football to me is just much more violent.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • I think hockey players could adapt to the fundamentals of football quicker than the other way around. I've never ice skated so I don't know. Seems like it would be impossible for me to just go out and play a game of hockey today if I had to.

What did you guys decide? NFL is supreme and more violent and better all around? Good.

And you guys talking about the pace of football. Have any of you ever played the game? Those breaks are handy. Go outside and sprint 100 yards just one time as hard as you can. Or, you could sprint 25 yards and jump into a brick wall, wait 40 seconds, and do that 3 or 4 more times in a row. That'll give you a pretty good idea what it's like in the NFL. It doesn't move at the pace of hockey but people don't give it credit for its physical demands. It's hard on a body.
  • metsfan wrote:
    brother123 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    whatever :roll:

sorry mets, I'd side with catefrances.

Americans play it yes but I always looked at the sport as a european sport. If this thread included rugby than that would win hands down. No padding all contact.. a bloody mess

Never actually watched it but seen pictures
    well than i guess we can consider hockey a non american sport cause it is from canada.

thorns got the point i was trying to make. while rugby is a european sport you can't discount the fact that it is very popular here in the states. thats all i was trying to making.

Oh, well I didn't read the entire correspondence between you and her.

i see your point now
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Hockey is faster, has walls, and players so many more games. Gotta go with hockey.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • edited March 2014
    Let me know when they start playing football on skates and then we can truly start to compare the sports. Until then, there is no way that football, basketball, baseball, football (for the europeans) even compares to the skills needed to play hockey. Better yet which one is tougher. Hell, they hit harder in rugby then in American football.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Hockey
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    It depends on how you look at it. Hockey IMO is more "challenging" as there is the skating issue and the play is more fluid. Football has so much specialization. QB though is very complex.
    Hockey you have boards and fighting.

Football though you have the players' feet/legs connected to grass/turf. Gruesome leg injuries occur with some degree of regularity. You also see much more spinal/neck injuries. Careers in NFL I would imagine are much shorter than NHL
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    if memory serves me right, a NHL player's heart stopped on the bench a few nights ago for a couple minutes practically making him dead during those couple of minutes. when he was revived, he asked his coach how many minutes were left in the period so he could at least finish off said period.

what are we debating again? who is tougher, NHL players or NFL players?