Football (USA) vs Hockey

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    What's the condition of retired hockey player??

It seems like every retired football player has some kinda recurring problem.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Lets put this arguement to rest..

Lets pretend, you or I are forced to play either professional Hockey or Professional Football this weekend. The puck or football will be passed to us many times..

Which sport are you going to feel safer in.. Enough said.
    can I skate well? If so, I'd feel way safer playing hockey....but if I'm not strong on my skates, I'll take my chances on the football field, thanks.
    If someone hits you in Hockey, you fall on your ass and slide.. So you are saying you'd rather catch a football and have a bunch of 250 lb guys running at you full speed to tackle you? Not only are they trying to bring you down, but they're hoping they hit you hard enough to send the football flying out of your grasp.
    I mentioned the pile-on in my previous post. That is definitely something that gives football an edge in this discussion…but other times, you’re being plowed into a wall. Your point about football players hitting hard enough to knock the ball loose is moot – same as hockey. Both sports have some guys hitting for a competitive edge (getting the puck/ball), and others out there trying to hurt you….
    But that doesn’t address my question – can I skate well? …at least on the football field you can somewhat prepare yourself for a hit by turning, bracing, keeping your limbs in before they’re piled on etc…. But if you are out there lookin like Bambi on the ice – you’re DEAD. If you’re already off balance, you’re completely defenseless….and you likely won’t be able to react in time for the hit, so you’re 10X’s as vulnerable as you’d be on grass.
    You’d have to pay me a one year pro salary to get me to do either :lol:

(PS - concussions are far from rare in hockey)
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Get_Right wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Hockey players don't have any protection when it comes to being checked into the boards. It increases the risk of neck and head injuries even more.
    you and I will disagree on this
    and putting your neck in the path of a running back chugging along is way more dangerous
    spinal cord injuries and concussions are rare in hockey, but common in football
    everyday a player in hockey gets a concussion in some form. Just that its not enough to be considered a major one or make news. Spinal cord injuries are rare in hockey. I've only known one case and that was the boston college player a few years back.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Somebody should get Marty Havlet's opinion on this subject. 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqanH27U338
    Jason P wrote:
    Somebody should get Marty Havlet's opinion on this subject. 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqanH27U338

or kyle Okposo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwWHCoxN2xk

or eric lindros

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVeqzYgTELk

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,787
    metsfan wrote:
    everyday a player in hockey gets a concussion in some form. Just that its not enough to be considered a major one or make news. Spinal cord injuries are rare in hockey. I've only known one case and that was the boston college player a few years back.
    well then I take that back

but I still think football is a rougher game
    Ive tackled, been tackled, been checked hard into the boards and been hip checked on my ass at the blue line

tackling a running back who has some momentum is the most painful thing I have ever encountered on a playing field-take to the NFL level and I can only imagine what it feels like to run into a player like brandon jacobs at full speed-head,shoulders and neck first
    Get_Right wrote:

Ive tackled, been tackled, been checked hard into the boards and been hip checked on my ass at the blue line

tackling a running back who has some momentum is the most painful thing I have ever encountered on a playing field-take to the NFL level and I can only imagine what it feels like to run into a player like brandon jacobs at full speed-head,shoulders and neck first
    good points for the argument that football is tougher. i think both american football and hockey are tougher than most american sports.

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    DewieCox wrote:
    What's the condition of retired hockey player??

It seems like every retired football player has some kinda recurring problem.

I think this is a really good point. You don't hear about hockey players having the health problems later in life that football players have.

I would definitely say football is the tougher sport. The players are so god damn big and so fast, especially in today's game. Hockey is surely not a sport for boys but I think football is the most violent game in America
    metsfan wrote:
    good points for the argument that football is tougher. i think both american football and hockey are tougher than most american sports.
    You mean tougher than golf, baseball and basketball?
    I agree with you there. :lol::lol:
    Get_Right wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    You mean tougher than golf, baseball and basketball?
    I agree with you there. :lol::lol:
    haha yes

i don't think american football and hockey hold a candle to rugby or afl or hurling

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    metsfan wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

well what other american sports are here that have the same level of contact??
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    metsfan wrote:
    haha yes

i don't think american football and hockey hold a candle to rugby or afl or hurling
    true

American boxing may be the toughest sport now that I think about it. But thats off-topic. :P
    metsfan wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

lacrosse and rugby

Get_Right wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    haha yes

true

American boxing may be the toughest sport now that I think about it. But thats off-topic. :P
    i think mma is tougher than boxing but that's a totally different subject.

this thread needs the poll option. i miss it dearly.

metsfan wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

lacrosse and rugby

lacrosse bwahahaha :lol::lol: and as for rugby.. i dont class that as an american sport. and lets not even mention those fuckers play it without all the protection that hockey and footy players use. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    metsfan wrote:
    lacrosse
    my favorite sport truthfully

and what with the laugh, its tough
  • grizahamgrizaham Posts: 338
    I love both sports.

If a football player even tried to play hockey they would be seriously injured quickly
    Most NFL players are overpaid, pampered little girls...

Could you imagine if someone drops the gloves in front of Terrell Owens????? Vince Young???? Hell to the no. They would run straight for their agent! hahhahahahhaahahah
    Seen PJ 21 times live from 1994-2019

lacrosse bwahahaha :lol::lol: and as for rugby.. i dont class that as an american sport. and lets not even mention those fuckers play it without all the protection that hockey and footy players use. ;)8-)
    you'd be surprised at how popular rugby is in america. tons of colleges have it as a sport.

metsfan wrote:

you'd be surprised at how popular rugby is in america. tons of colleges have it as a sport.

no i wouldnt. i just dont see it as an american sport. simple.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    metsfan wrote:

whatever :roll:

• drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Hockey.

However, hockey has the biggest a**hole of any sport ever: Todd Bertuzzi.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Hockey players do it all on ice. nuff said.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    if i had a choice, i'd be a hockey player. football is too violent for me. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • metsfan wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Hockey players don't have any protection when it comes to being checked into the boards. It increases the risk of neck and head injuries even more.
    you and I will disagree on this
    and putting your neck in the path of a running back chugging along is way more dangerous
    spinal cord injuries and concussions are rare in hockey, but common in football

That's the same in football also. Any type of Concussion should be treated seriously minor or not.
    NERDS!
  • hockey hands down.

each player carries a weapon.

So do Football players.

They're called Helmets. :)
    NERDS!
  • metsfan wrote:

That's because it's not. It's a UK sport.
    NERDS!
    metsfan wrote:

i know it. been watching it all my life. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200

i know it. been watching it all my life. :)

I could be wrong, but I think Metsfan just meant that of sports being played in America, that Hockey and Football are tougher. I don't think he was trying to say it was an American sport.
  • metsfan wrote:

sorry mets, I'd side with catefrances.

Americans play it yes but I always looked at the sport as a european sport. If this thread included rugby than that would win hands down. No padding all contact.. a bloody mess

Never actually watched it but seen pictures
    brother123 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

sorry mets, I'd side with catefrances.

Americans play it yes but I always looked at the sport as a european sport. If this thread included rugby than that would win hands down. No padding all contact.. a bloody mess

Never actually watched it but seen pictures
    well than i guess we can consider hockey a non american sport cause it is from canada.

thorns got the point i was trying to make. while rugby is a european sport you can't discount the fact that it is very popular here in the states. thats all i was trying to making.