Football (USA) vs Hockey

brother123brother123 Posts: 792
edited November 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
Which do you consider the toughest sport?

Hockey hands down. If a player is permitted to cleanly hit another player through the glass that's great but for that player to get up and shake it off? Amazing.

What about Joe Thorton taking a stick in the face and losing teeth? He come right back out in like 8 minutes. Tough as nails these hockey players.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• They're both fairly equal IMO.

Both are physically demanding.
    NERDS!
  • Apples and Oranges. I remember watching games where I doubt Jim Kelly knew how to spell his own name he was so concussed but he still managed to find a way to win. I watched Clint Malarchuk almost bleed to death right on the ice. No way you compare the two sports. Both are tough, both are tied for the most wonderful sports ever invented. Curling can take an honorable third.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • Whether it's in hockey or in football, a blindside hit is a blindside hit. Don Beebe played through the rest of this game.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I would give hockey the edge as they play 82 games (plus up to 28 playoff games).
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    love both. gotta go with hockey as a tougher sport...slightly...more physically demanding throughout the season.
    I love to turn you on
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Hockey. More speed, longer season, pucks hurtling around the rink at 100 mph, and regular use of fighting as a viable strategy to motivate a team.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    hockey hands down.

each player carries a weapon.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    football>>>when I think about it there is just so much more contact in the NFL. The game is designed for hard contact.

Are there injuries in every hockey game? There are in football. Usually somethin serious.
  • Hockey. When a Football player takes a hit, hard or otherwise, they lay there on the ground for a good 5-10 minutes. Teams are always forced to take injury timeouts. Football players are glorified ballerinas in helmets. Hockey, on the other hand ... Sidney Crosby, by no means the toughest guy in the sport, played almost the entire playoffs last year on a severely injured foot. And won the Stanley Cup.

Hockey is the most physically demanding sport, hands down. It's not even debatable.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Hockey
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Football...you very seldom see a football player after taking a bone crushing hit get up and start pushing and shoving and wanting a fight, they usually get up and pat the guy on the helmet who clocked him.

Hockey...you always see guy who get nailed by clean hits pushing and shoving.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    long red wrote:
    Hockey. When a Football player takes a hit, hard or otherwise, they lay there on the ground for a good 5-10 minutes. Teams are always forced to take injury timeouts. Football players are glorified ballerinas in helmets. Hockey, on the other hand ... Sidney Crosby, by no means the toughest guy in the sport, played almost the entire playoffs last year on a severely injured foot. And won the Stanley Cup.

Hockey is the most physically demanding sport, hands down. It's not even debatable.

Get your leg twisted in an awkward position then have a 300 pound lineman fall on you, let me know if you up quickly. Football players play with injuries all the time...just look at the injury report teams release.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • I can't answer this because I'm biased towards football...but I know this

Dallas Cowboys OLB Demarcus Ware is 6'4 265 lbs.

The Penguins' Sidney Crosby is 5'11 200 lbs.

Would you be willing to bet against Demarcus Ware knocking his fucking dick off?

Does hockey have anybody that could line up 20 yards across from Adrian Peterson (6'1 220 lbs) and do well in a head on collision 10 times? I'm asking because I don't know.

I'll go ahead and admit an NFL team would be embarrassing on ice. But I guarantee an NHL team on a football field would be uglier than that. Both sports are violent. I agree. NFL is just a more violent game because of the size and speed of the athletes, not to mention the defensive guys retardation levels. They just don't give a fuck.

Who's the toughest hockey player?
  • different types of collisions...

Hockey collisions happen at a much higher speed, has a rock hard rubber puck flying around at 100 mph and everyone has sticks.

Football has much bigger, stronger people with collisions on every single play.

I'd vote for hockey just because of the grind of playing maybe 100+ games a season (with preseason and playoffs), and multiple times a week. Either way, you gotta be tough to play either sport at a high level.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • NFL is just a more violent game because of the size and speed of the athletes, . . .

While I read your post and I can see your point on most of it, I can't overlook this error.

A big 300 pound man running versus a 250 hockey player coming down on you while skating his ass off isn't fast? I'd like to see anyone outrun a hockey player. To top it off hits you going that fast?
  • I can't answer this because I'm biased towards football...but I know this

Would you be willing to bet against Demarcus Ware knocking his fucking dick off?

Does hockey have anybody that could line up 20 yards across from Adrian Peterson (6'1 220 lbs) and do well in a head on collision 10 times? I'm asking because I don't know.

I'll go ahead and admit an NFL team would be embarrassing on ice. But I guarantee an NHL team on a football field would be uglier than that. Both sports are violent. I agree. NFL is just a more violent game because of the size and speed of the athletes, not to mention the defensive guys retardation levels. They just don't give a fuck.

Toughest is depending on your definition... some of the fighters are strong as moose, but can't skate all that well... most of the big hitters are smaller 6'0-6'2ish 210 lb guys who can skate really well, and line people up. They probably comparable more to hard hitting defensive backs in football, then the big hulking linebackers. Then there are the 6'4 220 lb power forwards who can skate through a wall...

While the NFL is a more violent game, the NHL has the speed aspect... you can have two guys skating 20-30 mph towards each other for a collision... you've seen the damage that can happen to a car in a 25 mph collision, imagine being one of those guys.

Even looking at the top athletes from each sport... outside of linemen, football players are just built and big all over... hockey players usually aren't big in the upper body, but are cut, and have legs like tree-trunks... from the waist down, they are just as strong or stronger than any football player.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • brother123 wrote:
    NFL is just a more violent game because of the size and speed of the athletes, . . .

While I read your post and I can see your point on most of it, I can't overlook this error.

A big 300 pound man running versus a 250 hockey player coming down on you while skating his ass off isn't fast? I'd like to see anyone outrun a hockey player. To top it off hits you going that fast?

I see what you're saying. But, how many of those hits are when the player is skating top speed, which I think I somewhere around 25-28 mph?

An average NFL RB runs about 20 mph. They can reach top speed in about 5 or 6 strides.

I'd be willing to bet that if you put a hockey player on a 10-15 yard long stretch of ice and let him skate straight into an NFL defensive lineman standing on grass, hockey player loses.

Conversely, let somebody like Ray Lewis or Earl Campbell run the same length on grass straight into an NHL guy, NFL wins again.

I'm not questioning the speed or toughness of hockey, I just don't believe it's more violent than NFL Football. Hockey is definitely not for sissies. That's why women aren't in either of those leagues....except for Tom Brady ;)
  • This really isn't debatable. The size and speed elements don't mean shit when you think about this:

1. Hockey has an 82 game regular season and two months worth of playoffs where the winning team has gone through FOUR intense 7-game series whereas a lot of times the Super Bowl winning team only has to play three games after a 16 game regular season.

2. Hockey is ALWAYS in motion. While demanding, the fact that football players start and stop on every play makes it less intense. Sure there are line changes in hockey, but players are usally out between 40-60 seconds a shift and the average NFL play is less than 5 seconds.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,787
    having played both sports

Id have to say

lacrosse :lol::lol:

seriously, nothing hurts more than hitting or being hit hard in a football game especially if its cold out

hockey players have a lot more protection being checked hard into the boards is nothing compared to being hit after catching the ball or making the hit on a running back going full speed
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Get_Right wrote:
    having played both sports

Id have to say

lacrosse :lol::lol:

seriously, nothing hurts more than hitting or being hit hard in a football game especially if its cold out

hockey players have a lot more protection being checked hard into the boards is nothing compared to being hit after catching the ball or making the hit on a running back going full speed
    Hockey players don't have any protection when it comes to being checked into the boards. It increases the risk of neck and head injuries even more.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Hockey.

Most players don't wear facemasks when a puck is flying through the air half the game. Also they play 2-3 times a week to the NFL's 1 time a week. Not saying football isn't dangerous. I actually played football for most of my youth as opposed to hockey which I only played with friends (no team). But hockey to me is more dangerous and tougher than football.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I can't answer this because I'm biased towards football...but I know this

Georges Laraque is 6'4 255 or so...Derek Boogard is 6'8 260....they are both fighters that don't see a lot of ice....but I bet they'd make a mess of Adrian Peterson on any surface...
    I disagree that the football field would result in the bigger massacre. The skills of football are way less specific...sure, they fine tune their hitting technique or whatever....but going up against an NHLer without being a GOOD skater would be suicide. When I was a kid, my hockey team had a CFL player come out to one of our practices to do some motivational speaking - he was probably 6'3 230 or so...he practised with us for fun...I was 13 yrs old, probably 5'6 and 120 lbs.....if I'd wanted to, I could have easily DESTROYED the guy....if you can't skate or at least properly brace yourself, you're a fucking sitting duck. Whereas the hockey players can still run and take a hit if need be in a football game...

I've nearly been KO'd in hockey by a mid-ice collision...the thing with hockey is that you dont get piled on after the hit...that's a LOT of weight on those twisted knees...
    That said...football players have no sticks, no projectiles, no sharp metal blades to worry about... and way less endurance per game/season. Even in 'harmless', no-contact mens leagues, there are serious injuries...a teammate of mine broke his shoulder badly last week....I'm pickin hockey.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Depends what you mean by "tougher"

Obviously a Hockey player exerts more energy throughout a game, but football is very hard on the body. There's a reason football is only played once a week. The body needs more time to recover.
    Also they play 2-3 times a week to the NFL's 1 time a week.

There's a reason football is only played once a week. It takes at least that long for players bodies to recover.

Hockey requires more energy and can be dangerous, but generally speaking football is bad for your body. The hits while fewer and far inbetween are much harder and potentially more dangerous.

It could be argued Hockey players are more athletic and football, but If I was forced to play a professional game right now, I'd take my chnaces on the ice rather than a football field!
    Lets put this arguement to rest..

Lets pretend, you or I are forced to play either professional Hockey or Professional Football this weekend. The puck or football will be passed to us many times..

Which sport are you going to feel safer in.. Enough said.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

Lets pretend, you or I are forced to play either professional Hockey or Professional Football this weekend. The puck or football will be passed to us many times..

can I skate well? If so, I'd feel way safer playing hockey....but if I'm not strong on my skates, I'll take my chances on the football field, thanks.

can I skate well? If so, I'd feel way safer playing hockey....but if I'm not strong on my skates, I'll take my chances on the football field, thanks.
    If someone hits you in Hockey, you fall on your ass and slide.. So you are saying you'd rather catch a football and have a bunch of 250 lb guys running at you full speed to tackle you? Not only are they trying to bring you down, but they're hoping they hit you hard enough to send the football flying out of your grasp.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,152

If someone hits you in Hockey, you fall on your ass and slide.. you'd rather catch a football and have a bunch of 250 lb guys running at you full speed to tackle you?

Fall on your ass and silde??? check out this hit on Blackhawk Toews and see how much sliding he did!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFLbg-PnMeQ
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,787
    metsfan wrote:
    Hockey players don't have any protection when it comes to being checked into the boards. It increases the risk of neck and head injuries even more.
    you and I will disagree on this
    and putting your neck in the path of a running back chugging along is way more dangerous
    spinal cord injuries and concussions are rare in hockey, but common in football
    Hawkshore wrote:

Fall on your ass and silde??? check out this hit on Blackhawk Toews and see how much sliding he did!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFLbg-PnMeQ

Yes, bad things will happen in Hockey, but whatever you think man.. I'll take my chances with the puck than trying to run down field with a football in a NFL game.