I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    brianlux said:

Yeah, I'm afraid I did get that email.    The email plus some remarks on the edit page that led me to feel like a dunce. 
    They told me the proper name of the band is Dinosaur Jr (with no period, which is correct) but the form would only accept "Dinosaur Jr."  (with the period). 
    This is a "once and done" for me. My main motivation was to get that LP into my collection data since that is what my insurance agent said was a good thing to do.  Next time I'll wait for someone else to work up the listing.  There are plenty of people who enjoy it and I found it tedious, plus I had a hard time with the label photos because my hands are no longer steady.  

I've found a lot of the Discogs community are dicks about the entries if they are not to their specifications. You do the best you can as the process is tedious and takes some getting used to only to have some ass correct everything you do.
    There was one addition to the listing that was useful- the "pressed by" name which I didn't see- so I don't mind that.  And yes, "tedious" is a good word for the process. 
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    FR181798 said:
    brianlux said:
    Weird that I can't find this on Discogs (yet?) but it's out, I've got it, and it's great!  Mid period Dinosaur Jr,: glorious, ear-bleeding bummer rock at it's best.  Side one starts off a bit slow, murky and weird, then gets loud and nicely weird.  Side two is total LOUD, weird, and glorious.  I'm really glad this is an EP, otherwise I would be bothering the neighbors with my loud tinnitus.

Dinosaur Jr issue 1993 MTV session as SeventyTwoHundredSeconds EP   hang the dj

Cherry Records/ MTV, BRED 848, 2022
    45 RPM, 12"
    Ear Bleeding Country/ Bummer Rock
    Nice it's on my list if I start buying records again, I'm 2 months in to my break. Been watching this online on the usual sites but waiting on a good price. Not that it's overly expensive but I think it might come down.

If you're a Dino fan and decide to go for it, I don't think you will be disappointed! 
    I sure hope someone gets around to putting this on Discogs (I don't feel qualified to do that myself) so I can add this to my Discogs collection.
    Here's the link for anyone interested:

You are more than qualified to do add a listing on discogs. It isn’t that complicated. If you make a mistake or forget something the “experienced” discogers will update the listing. 
    Most important is the identify the label, barcode, the runouts and add some photos. 

The other stuff you mentioned on the post above. There are also instructions on discogs to guide you along. 

Here it is.  Hope I didn't screw it up!

Admirable first effort! I would advise to go back in and edit it to add:
    - deadwax info (runout)
    - pictures of: 
            - back of the sleeve
            - inner sleeve (if applicable)
            - label on each side of the wax. 

If you don’t do this, someone else who owns it will undoubtedly do it. 
    Do you still get an email from Discogs making you feel like a dick for even trying to help out
    when you fuck up?

That’s why I stopped creating entries.  

Yeah, I'm afraid I did get that email.    The email plus some remarks on the edit page that led me to feel like a dunce. 
    They told me the proper name of the band is Dinosaur Jr (with no period, which is correct) but the form would only accept "Dinosaur Jr."  (with the period). 
    This is a "once and done" for me. My main motivation was to get that LP into my collection data since that is what my insurance agent said was a good thing to do.  Next time I'll wait for someone else to work up the listing.  There are plenty of people who enjoy it and I found it tedious, plus I had a hard time with the label photos because my hands are no longer steady.  

To me that’s what makes it ridiculous.  You add an entry, 20 plus people who could have created the entry add it to their collection immediately then nitpick the person who did add it. 

Where were they before?
    Exactly.  Nine people added the LP in the first 8 hours, and several more the next day, but nobody else had taken the time to try to add it.  I was a newbee, maybe a last-time-bee, lol. 
    FR181798 said:
    That Dinosaur Jr EP shot up by £6-7 at a certain big retailer today just when I was about to buy. Hate that.

That sucks!  Maybe you can get it at a better price directly from Cherry Red Records here:

If you're a fan, you'll very likely be glad to have this if you can get it.  J's solos are wonky as hell (in a good way), Murph's playing is super solid, and as much as I love and prefer Lou on bass, Mike Johnson here adds some great tough bottom to the racket. 

I hope someone puts out the '94 MTV performances.  That version of "Thumb" is killer!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I've found a lot of the Discogs community are dicks about the entries if they are not to their specifications. You do the best you can as the process is tedious and takes some getting used to only to have some ass correct everything you do.
    There was one addition to the listing that was useful- the "pressed by" name which I didn't see- so I don't mind that.  And yes, "tedious" is a good word for the process. 
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    FR181798 said:
    brianlux said:
    Weird that I can't find this on Discogs (yet?) but it's out, I've got it, and it's great!  Mid period Dinosaur Jr,: glorious, ear-bleeding bummer rock at it's best.  Side one starts off a bit slow, murky and weird, then gets loud and nicely weird.  Side two is total LOUD, weird, and glorious.  I'm really glad this is an EP, otherwise I would be bothering the neighbors with my loud tinnitus.

45 RPM, 12"
    Nice it's on my list if I start buying records again, I'm 2 months in to my break. Been watching this online on the usual sites but waiting on a good price. Not that it's overly expensive but I think it might come down.

If you're a Dino fan and decide to go for it, I don't think you will be disappointed! 
    I sure hope someone gets around to putting this on Discogs (I don't feel qualified to do that myself) so I can add this to my Discogs collection.

You are more than qualified to do add a listing on discogs. It isn’t that complicated. If you make a mistake or forget something the “experienced” discogers will update the listing. 
    Most important is the identify the label, barcode, the runouts and add some photos. 

The other stuff you mentioned on the post above. There are also instructions on discogs to guide you along. 

- deadwax info (runout)
    - pictures of: 
            - back of the sleeve

Do you still get an email from Discogs making you feel like a dick for even trying to help out
    when you fuck up?

To me that’s what makes it ridiculous.  You add an entry, 20 plus people who could have created the entry add it to their collection immediately then nitpick the person who did add it. 

Where were they before?
    Exactly.  Nine people added the LP in the first 8 hours, and several more the next day, but nobody else had taken the time to try to add it.  I was a newbee, maybe a last-time-bee, lol. 
    FR181798 said:
    That Dinosaur Jr EP shot up by £6-7 at a certain big retailer today just when I was about to buy. Hate that.

That sucks!  Maybe you can get it at a better price directly from Cherry Red Records here:

If you're a fan, you'll very likely be glad to have this if you can get it.  J's solos are wonky as hell (in a good way), Murph's playing is super solid, and as much as I love and prefer Lou on bass, Mike Johnson here adds some great tough bottom to the racket. 

I hope someone puts out the '94 MTV performances.  That version of "Thumb" is killer!

I would be personally inclined to reply about  the limitations/quirks of the system to add a title. Would further offer THEM a few choice suggestions as to what I think they could do..... but I AM an asshole that way.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

FR181798 said:

I would be personally inclined to reply about  the limitations/quirks of the system to add a title. Would further offer THEM a few choice suggestions as to what I think they could do..... but I AM an asshole that way.
    Haha!  Go get 'em, M! 
    I guess one must take the good with the bad when it comes to Discogs.  The data base is the only one of it's kind and if you are careful (and add a dash of luck) there are good deals to be found there.
    I'm more fan of Discogs than not, but I do avoid the forums there.  That's where some of the really nasty people crawl out of the woodwork.  God awful at times.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    FR181798 said:
    brianlux said:

45 RPM, 12"

- deadwax info (runout)
    - pictures of: 
            - back of the sleeve

when you fuck up?

That only happened once and it was the last listing I created. At least I thought it was discogs. They just said they added something and I just shrugged it off. 
    I’m entering these on my friggin iPhone. If it needs some extra love so be it 😂
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2022
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    FR181798 said:
    brianlux said:

45 RPM, 12"

- deadwax info (runout)
    - pictures of: 
            - back of the sleeve

when you fuck up?

Well at least you tried.
    Full disclosure, I wanted that listing created because I needed it on my wantlist 😂.  Didn’t want to forget. 

Discogs rules is you can’t create a listing unless you are in physical possession of the release 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    FR181798 said:
    brianlux said:

45 RPM, 12"

- deadwax info (runout)
    - pictures of: 
            - back of the sleeve

when you fuck up?

Well at least you tried.
    Full disclosure, I wanted that listing created because I needed it on my wantlist 😂.  Didn’t want to forget. 

Discogs rules is you can’t create a listing unless you are in physical possession of the release 

I am thrilled to know my listing job did something helpful.  Nice!  And a good choice for your want list!  :smile:

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I still don't get discogs.  I've tried a few times and it is just a mess to me...
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I still don't get discogs.  I've tried a few times and it is just a mess to me...
    You don't get how to make or adjust an entry, or you don't get how to look up your albums and put them in your collection? 

Discogs is invaluable to a record collector.  
  • Speaking of discogs, should I finally buy the A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child soundtrack completing my collection?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    You don't get how to make or adjust an entry, or you don't get how to look up your albums and put them in your collection? 

I use it however I don’t like that it’s still not standardised even with all the rules.

trying to find out where something was pressed for example.  Sometimes it’s obvious sometimes it’s not 

where it’s pressed, vs nothing, vs country of pressing

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Now that wasn’t so hard was it? 

I assume they are taking this route so they can print unlimited copies, rather than being limited by access to the master tapes. 

BTW - I haven't watched it yet, but there's a new AP interview with Chad where he said Kay Lied is no longer going to be released.  Some problem with the ownership of the tapes.  That really f*ing blows.  
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:

I assume they are taking this route so they can print unlimited copies, rather than being limited by access to the master tapes. 

BTW - I haven't watched it yet, but there's a new AP interview with Chad where he said Kay Lied is no longer going to be released.  Some problem with the ownership of the tapes.  That really f*ing blows.  
    I missed that one. That sucks.

the mainline mofi’s are still numbered without an edition number so I’m guessing yes. Print as many as you want and it doesn’t raise any questions since it’s what they have always done 

I assume the one steps will still be a finite edition based on demand only because boxes are a pain to do. Not that I particularly like how they package them, because I don’t. Much rather have a proper gatefold in the box like AP 

I don’t like how they use the word analog twice and abbreviate the digital part 
    mrussel1 said:

I tried looking up a record one day and they had literally 50 different listings of the same record.  I was trying to find a specific listing but had to sift through all of them.

It's not the first time I had this happen to me either.  I want to use it as a research tool rather than for my collection but I guess if I used it to catalog my albums it would serve better.
    mrussel1 said:

I tried looking up a record one day and they had literally 50 different listings of the same record.  I was trying to find a specific listing but had to sift through all of them.

It's not the first time I had this happen to me either.  I want to use it as a research tool rather than for my collection but I guess if I used it to catalog my albums it would serve better.
    type in the runout info.
    as much as possible. will narrow down your choices. then look for any special markings to zero in....

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    Drives me a little nuts. I have some of my stuff on it, but may be wrong because it's hard to take the time to figure what version I have. Still have piles to add. Will be a fun winter project.
    mrussel1 said:

Well yes, this is the detail that Discogs carries, particularly when going back to the 70's records.  You have plants all over America and the world pressing year after year.  So it can be frustrating to find the right version, if you are committed to finding the right version.  Stones, Beatles, and the mega groups in particular have this.  But that's precisely the reason Discogs exists, to know exactly the version you have, from the plant, in the year.  

Mick is right though.  The easiest way to search is to read the runout info (you'll need a flashlight and some readers) and just type that into the search function.  That gives you the best chance to find your specific version. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Well yes, this is the detail that Discogs carries, particularly when going back to the 70's records.  You have plants all over America and the world pressing year after year.  So it can be frustrating to find the right version, if you are committed to finding the right version.  Stones, Beatles, and the mega groups in particular have this.  But that's precisely the reason Discogs exists, to know exactly the version you have, from the plant, in the year.  

Mick is right though.  The easiest way to search is to read the runout info (you'll need a flashlight and some readers) and just type that into the search function.  That gives you the best chance to find your specific version. 
    I still think pressing plant needs to be a field that is required and it shows in the format section or a separate field between format and  country 

You can find it, it’s not standardised 
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

type in the runout info.
    as much as possible. will narrow down your choices. then look for any special markings to zero in....
    I didn't have that info at the time so it was frustrating.

If you wanted to figure out the first pressing of Frankenchrist w the poster not knowing the runout info could you even decipher that?

I'm going to try that now on a whim.
    https://www.discogs.com/release/608769-Dead-Kennedys-Frankenchrist

This was an interesting listing.  It has Jock o rama as Macho Rama , I've never seen that before...  After reading further, other countries that got the record have it as Macho Rama.  Interesting.  I just learned that and I have owned/listened to this for 30+ years, lol.
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:

So according to both Bernie Grundman and Ryan Smith you can’t go analog master-dsd-analog 

you have to go analog master to dsd to pcm back to dsd to analog if you want that DSD step there bookending the A>DSD>A process 

it makes no sense to use DSD at all apparently since you can’t EQ it or manipulate it at all. I don’t understand digital so it’s gibberish to me 
    That’s  at about 1 hour 20 into the livestream 

point being they both thought it was asking for problems if not flat out wrong 

chad seemed to blame people “manipulating” the site for the Steely Dan not happening. My understanding was they posted it on accident, not anyone manipulating code.  So who knows what happened 

if it wasn’t for chad beating mofi with a stick every chance he gets I wouldn’t know what’s going on still 
  • Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,342

This was an interesting listing.  It has Jock o rama as Macho Rama , I've never seen that before...  After reading further, other countries that got the record have it as Macho Rama.  Interesting.  I just learned that and I have owned/listened to this for 30+ years, lol.
    Rookie.
    mrussel1 said:

So according to both Bernie Grundman and Ryan Smith you can’t go analog master-dsd-analog 

you have to go analog master to dsd to pcm back to dsd to analog if you want that DSD step there bookending the A>DSD>A process 

it makes no sense to use DSD at all apparently since you can’t EQ it or manipulate it at all. I don’t understand digital so it’s gibberish to me 

chad seemed to blame people “manipulating” the site for the Steely Dan not happening. My understanding was they posted it on accident, not anyone manipulating code.  So who knows what happened 

if it wasn’t for chad beating mofi with a stick every chance he gets I wouldn’t know what’s going on still 
    I think you do DSD because it has a high resolution but one that some people consider 'sweeter' and easier on the ear fatigue compared PCM.  That plays into the 'softness' angle of analog.  DSD128 is about the same resolution as 24/192, if I'm not mistaken.  The comment that you have to convert DSD to PCM is new to me.  But that Ryan guy probably knows a thing or two.  

I'm pretty sure Abbey Road Studios is doing their remasters in DSD as well.
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I think you do DSD because it has a high resolution but one that some people consider 'sweeter' and easier on the ear fatigue compared PCM.  That plays into the 'softness' angle of analog.  DSD128 is about the same resolution as 24/192, if I'm not mistaken.  The comment that you have to convert DSD to PCM is new to me.  But that Ryan guy probably knows a thing or two.  

I'm pretty sure Abbey Road Studios is doing their remasters in DSD as well.
    They basically said DSD is limiting if you need to   work on it because you can’t. They didn’t say DSD is a bad format 

you can do a straight analog to DSD and keep everything the same. It’s the mastering it you can’t do apparently. They mentioned you can’t EQ a DSD file.  My assumption was that mofi has to work on them.

Ryan said if he was working on digital he would just prefer a pcm file. I guess the context could be interpreted as you can’t remaster DSD. They probably weren’t talking about what format they would prefer to listen in

I have no idea and it’s not like I have any sound issues with my one steps anyway. Whatever they did it sounds very good 

its interesting to follow as this continues to unfold and chad is doing his very best to work it into every possible conversation which I get has a business benefit to him 
    KOB 45 UHQR out for delivery 

nice 

Rookie.
    Lol, I wasn’t hunting copies of this so nanny nanny boo boo, stick your head up one of those poopoo’s in that poster.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,842
    edited September 2022

The Beatles - White album 
    REM - Automatic for the People. 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14