Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,047
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    J. Geils Band- Peter Wolf in the middle, with the goatee.  J Geils is the dude wearing the shades, next to the guy with the afro.

You meant to post a photo of the band rather than a line-up photo, right?
    :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,684

If Massey is "10", then this is a solid 9. Not quite a awesome but good voice is on good order,  recording is excellent and the set is a bit different. Not as much Harvest. 

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

If Massey is "10", then this is a solid 9. Not quite a awesome but good voice is on good order,  recording is excellent and the set is a bit different. Not as much Harvest. 

I'll have to check that out.  I'm not a big fan of bootlegs- they are a rip off for the artist and the generally don't sound very good- but I do have one Neil Young boot that I keep because a friend of mine gave it to me (if Neil asked me to give it back I would, on the stipulation that he retrieve it in person!).  So it's interesting to see that this Carnegie Hall LP looks kind of similar to the bootleg I have (Discogs photo- still trying to figure out how to post pics from my new smartphone):

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

I'll have to check that out.  I'm not a big fan of bootlegs- they are a rip off for the artist and the generally don't sound very good- but I do have one Neil Young boot that I keep because a friend of mine gave it to me (if Neil asked me to give it back I would, on the stipulation that he retrieve it in person!).  So it's interesting to see that this Carnegie Hall LP looks kind of similar to the bootleg I have (Discogs photo- still trying to figure out how to post pics from my new smartphone):

The name of this new series is the "bootleg" series,  so I think he's trying to create that vibe. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

The name of this new series is the "bootleg" series,  so I think he's trying to create that vibe. 
    I see!  Makes much sense.

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,047
    brianlux said:
    J. Geils Band- Peter Wolf in the middle, with the goatee.  J Geils is the dude wearing the shades, next to the guy with the afro.

You meant to post a photo of the band rather than a line-up photo, right?
    :lol:
    Absolutely!!!!!!  =);):o
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:

I almost picked this up today, but got the Bowie greatest hits legacy vinyl instead.   I actually have an old bootleg that this concert is from, I guess from the show that was on that day but not the one he officially released, got it in ‘03 for $15 and that was big money for an old used bootleg vinyl at the time. Anyway OBS#1 will probably be my next vinyl purchase.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I almost picked this up today, but got the Bowie greatest hits legacy vinyl instead.   I actually have an old bootleg that this concert is from, I guess from the show that was on that day but not the one he officially released, got it in ‘03 for $15 and that was big money for an old used bootleg vinyl at the time. Anyway OBS#1 will probably be my next vinyl purchase.
    How is the sound quality on that Bowie?
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    It is very clear, everything is mastered well and one song flows into the next very smoothly.  I like that the track list isn’t chronological and skips around.  I’ve always wanted a way to listen to Bowie without going through each record and playing a song or two etc.  it’s a very nice set with clear sound, good mastering and most importantly an amazing flow.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Good to know! Thanks
  • Options
    CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    I saw Peter Wolf in 2019 at a small place called Stone Mountain Arts Center.  Great show. But I spent a bunch of time prior to the show listening to all of his solo records and I was very impressed.  Not really a bad song across a half dozen or more solo albums.  I don't think that I can say that about any other artist's solo stuff.  Give it a go.  And I confess, my first concert was J Geils.
  • Options
    My signed Belinda Carlisle record just showed up.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    You got Belinda & I got Brandi!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    HA!  Totally Freudian.

Yes, Brandi Carlisle showed up.

I hope I never meet her in person because I will screw that one up, lol.
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    😂

Mine is in the mail. 
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    Neil- CarnegieHall
    Trio 64
    Maiden Voyage 
    Let It Be Deluxe Vinyl and Deluxe CD/Blu Ray 

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    Neil- CarnegieHall
    Trio 64
    Maiden Voyage 

is the Laet it Be the "Naked" version where John whistles at the end of Two of us?
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    Neil- CarnegieHall
    Trio 64
    Maiden Voyage 

Love to hear what you think of the new Maiden Voyage.  

I absolutely love Trio 64.  Now Bill Evans might be my favorite jazz musician and certainly my favorite pianist.  But that recording is just so gorgeous, subtle, delicate, and really well recorded.  It's an A+!  

I think Trio 65 is delayed until next year unfortunately. 
  • Options
    BTW - Maiden Voyage is another one of those steals where you get the KPG pressing done for Music Matters but at a normal price.  
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    edited October 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    Neil- CarnegieHall
    Trio 64
    Maiden Voyage 

Love to hear what you think of the new Maiden Voyage.  

I absolutely love Trio 64.  Now Bill Evans might be my favorite jazz musician and certainly my favorite pianist.  But that recording is just so gorgeous, subtle, delicate, and really well recorded.  It's an A+!  

I think Trio 65 is delayed until next year unfortunately. 
    https://www.amazon.com/Bill-Evans-Verve-Acoustic-Sounds/dp/B08YNRZLFG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=80RO9KJ8CCG8&dchild=1&keywords=trio+65+vinyl+acoustic+sounds&qid=1633467045&sprefix=trio+65&sr=8-3

Looks like April yeah.
    Post edited by pjpjpaul on
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    edited October 2021

There is a chapter in Patti Smith's 2019 book Year of the Monkey titled "Why Belinda Carlisle Matters". It's my favorite chapter in the book and so good, oh man, seriously, so damn good!  It's a lot better than that chapter title would lead you to believe. 
    Ahh!  I love it!

• Options
    brianlux said:

There is a chapter in Patti Smith's 2019 book Year of the Monkey titled "Why Belinda Carlisle Matters". It's my favorite chapter in the book and so good, oh man, seriously, so damn good!  It's a lot better than that chapter title would lead you to believe. 
    Ahh!  I love it!
    I've read Just Kids and started the 2nd one the follow up called M train.  Didn't know of the third.  Interesting.  I'll have to look into that.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Ahh!  I love it!
    I've read Just Kids and started the 2nd one the follow up called M train.  Didn't know of the third.  Interesting.  I'll have to look into that.

Overall, I like Just Kids the best, then M Train, then Year of the MonkeyMonkey is a bit more difficult than the other two because it kind of weaves around between being a memoir and a dream state- an interesting literary device, but then, I'm often not a huge fan of fancy "literary devices".  Please, for god's sake just fuckin' write.  :lol:  
    But that said, when Patti is good in Monkey, she is damn good!  Some of the passages there are outstanding and make it well worth the read.  And you might like the more esoteric writing style.  Many fans have praised it.  And it's Patti.  Calling her a "goddess" would not be far off, maybe even on the mark.  In any case, she rocks.

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,985

Got this based on everyone’s recommendation. Haven’t listened yet, but I am sure I will love it. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Finally!!!

I ordered this about a year ago. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Finally!!!

I ordered this about a year ago. 
    Nice.  Love her voice and the band is good.

I might look for this.
  • Options
    What's the word on Brandi's new record? I heard the music is good.  Curious about that and the pressing. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    What's the word on Brandi's new record? I heard the music is good.  Curious about that and the pressing. 
    I like the album. Listened to it on Spotify flying back from Ohana. My pressing won’t arrive until the 18th so can’t comment on that.  
  • Options
    I thought I had posted this yesterday but must have left it sitting on the drawing board (that or placed in the wrong thread!)
    Because I'm reading (and loving) this:
    See a Little Light The Trail of Rage and Melody - Kindle edition by Mould  Bob Arts amp Photography Kindle eBooks  Amazoncom

I figured I should get this:

Bob Mould – Beauty & Ruin

Label:
    Merge Records – MRG520
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album
    Released:
    Genre: