The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    no tex in tex.. wife giving birth
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    i'll take take the split and move on. burnett & javy back to back in texas.

pettitte close to return. ain't no thing!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    The Fixer wrote:

Good stuff. Montero is absolutely mashing right now. He hit a walk off home run last night and is hitting .347/.446/.622 since the beginning of July.

They are also not giving Brackman quite enough credit. Pilliere had a great scouting report on him the other day and says he is starting to develop to what could be a front line starter, he has a lot to still develop but has come a long way in the past year. Pilliere was also really down on him for a while.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    good article about the yanks and phils. I will post this over in the phils thread too.

from BA

Yankees, Phillies Are Built To Last

By John Manuel
    August 6, 2010

E-mail Print

The Yankees and Phillies faced each other in the 2009 World Series. The two could meet up again in 2010 after making strong trades in July.

The Phillies' two victories against the Yankees in '09 came in games started by Cliff Lee, but they dealt Lee in the offseason when they got their hands on Roy Halladay. They weren't able to replace Lee internally and wound up trading for Roy Oswalt in July, parting with outfielder Anthony Gose, shortstop Jonathan Villar and lefthander J.A. Happ.

The Yankees had baseball's best record as the July deadline approached but remained active. They picked up switch-hitting veteran Lance Berkman from Houston for righthanded reliever Mark Melancon and infielder Jimmy Paredes, as well as Austin Kearns and Kerry Wood for next to nothing.

None of those moves guarantees those clubs will make the postseason, but both improved their big league rosters without mortgaging their farm systems. In fact, both teams have had bounceback years in the minors, particularly at the Class A levels. Even after those trades, both farm systems look to move up in our rankings this offseason.

The Yankees dropped to 22nd in our talent rankings last offseason after poor years from top pitching prospects such as Andrew Brackman, Dellin Betances and Jeremy Bleich; trades that cost outfielder Austin Jackson and hard-throwing righthander Arodys Vizcaino; and a concentration of talent in the lower levels. At the top, New York still has top prospect Jesus Montero and Futures Game catcher Austin Romine, whom scouts and managers respect for his solid all-around game. The Yankees also have several upper-level players who project as solid big leaguers, such as righthanders Zach McAllister and Ivan Nova, and third baseman Brandon Laird, who in the words of one pro scout has gone from "a 4-A guy to a second-division regular this year. He doesn't do it easy, but he does it."

The Yankees have also developed depth at the higher levels. Righty Hector Noesi has impressed at Trenton with his hard fastball, and recent college draftees David Phelps and Adam Warren have risen quickly through the ranks. While Phelps throws a tad harder, touching 95 mph, Warren has better secondary stuff and fastball command and the better chance to start in New York, as he pounds the zone (25 walks in 102 innings) and keeps the ball in the ballpark (two home runs allowed).

New York's lower-level talent, for the most part, has also stepped forward. Gary Sanchez, a catcher who signed for $3 million last summer, was hitting .378/.461/.622 through 74 at-bats with four home runs in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League.

And scouts who have seen low Class A Charleston say the Yankees have impressive pieces there, starting with 2009 first-round pick Slade Heathcott, a toolsy, hard-playing outfielder with some swing issues. His athleticism, defense and speed help him stand out in the South Atlantic League crowd. Defense also is the top tool for shortstop Kelvin Castro and catcher Kyle Higashioka, while the bat helps 2009 supplemental first-rounder J.R. Murphy. Righthander Jose Ramirez, 20, stands out on the pitching staff thanks to good control of his fastball and changeup.

Meanwhile, Betances and Brackman have had their best years as pros. Betances, having recovered from elbow surgery, has shown his old mid-90s velocity while throwing more strikes and dominating the high Class A Florida State League. Brackman overcame a disastrous start to reach Double-A and has increased his strikeout and groundball rates. He's not dominating (7-10, 4.81), but the 24-year-old is having his first success as a pro.

Philly Fever

The Phillies have traded more prospects than any organization the last two years to get Lee, Halladay and now Oswalt. They gave up real talent in all three deals, helping drop them to No. 18 in our rankings entering the season, and both Gose and Villar were headed for Philly's Top 10 Prospects before being shipped out.

But the Phillies did hold on to low Class A Lakewood's Jonathan Singleton, whom many scouts place on the short list for the minors' best hitter. And Gose was redundant in a system bursting with raw but athletic outfielders such as Jiwan James, Domingo Santana, Aaron Altherr and Leandro Castro.

On the mound, the Phillies have found power arms to replace trade losses Jason Knapp, Carlos Carrasco and Kyle Drabek. Jarred Cosart, Trevor May and Jon Pettibone, all from the Phillies' productive 2008 draft class, have shown dominant flashes, while fellow Lakewood righty Brody Colvin—who got the largest bonus of the Phils' 2009 draft class—has shown two plus pitches.

The Phillies are thinner at the upper levels than the Yankees but have more upside, especially on the mound. Both organizations are more focused on the major league pennant races than the minors, but both also have done an admirable job of using their financial heft to compete and maintain a farm system talent pipeline simultaneously. That takes money but also good scouting and player development, and the Yankees and Phillies are doing all that in 2010.
    Good stuff, Fixer. The Yanks have a lot of good pieces right now, I like where their system is at a lot. Nova is basically ready, Brackman has a lot of potential and there a bunch of others as the article mentions.
    Yanks won the world series 9 months and 5 days ago. CC had a baby the other day, Tex most likely to have one today. Nice work fellas.

I did not come up with this so I am not the creep who figured this out.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yanks won the world series 9 months and 5 days ago. CC had a baby the other day, Tex most likely to have one today. Nice work fellas.

woooo..thats abit creepy cliffy

long season.....i guess they forgot how to ........ out :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

woooo..thats abit creepy cliffy

long season.....i guess they forgot how to ........ out :mrgreen:

haha, like I said, I was not the one to figure it out. River Ave Blues and Craig Clacaterra both had a comment about it today.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Good stuff, Fixer. The Yanks have a lot of good pieces right now, I like where their system is at a lot. Nova is basically ready, Brackman has a lot of potential and there a bunch of others as the article mentions.

I love this stuff. Looks like the yanks are starting to shred the stereotype of having their prospects overrated

Yanks are gonna be happy that the Lee trade fell through. Montero is gonna be an absolute beast
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I love this stuff. Looks like the yanks are starting to shred the stereotype of having their prospects overrated

Yanks are gonna be happy that the Lee trade fell through. Montero is gonna be an absolute beast

I would say so. They have had a bunch of young home grown guys contribute to the recent success and it looks like it is going to continue.

I said at the time I didn't want them to give up Montero for half a year of Lee but was not going to complain about it if it happened. I am still worried about where he fits, hopefully he can catch otherwise he better start shagging flys.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I would say so. They have had a bunch of young home grown guys contribute to the recent success and it looks like it is going to continue.

I said at the time I didn't want them to give up Montero for half a year of Lee but was not going to complain about it if it happened. I am still worried about where he fits, hopefully he can catch otherwise he better start shagging flys.

even guys they've used in trades (like austin jackson) have performed well. gotta give cashman credit...he really turned their system around

will be interesting to see where montero fits. no clue what posada's contract is like. gotta think montero will be the future DH for a long time
    The Fixer wrote:

even guys they've used in trades (like austin jackson) have performed well. gotta give cashman credit...he really turned their system around

will be interesting to see where montero fits. no clue what posada's contract is like. gotta think montero will be the future DH for a long time

Cashman has done a great job with the farm. He has a lot of intelligent people around him as well.

Posada is done after next year. DH is going to be clogged up for a while with Arod in a couple years I would imagine. I think Montero is going to have to play the outfield or catch for a while.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Cashman has done a great job with the farm. He has a lot of intelligent people around him as well.

Posada is done after next year. DH is going to be clogged up for a while with Arod in a couple years I would imagine. I think Montero is going to have to play the outfield or catch for a while.

It's sad to see Jorge decline to but it's natural too, a lot like Bernie, a nice career arc. Unlike Bonds who suddenly gets better at 37.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

most ballplayers don't begin preparation for the season until January. I'm sure if you looked up all the birthdays of kids born to major leaguers, probably half will have occurred during the season since there's some downtime for that sort of thing.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,796
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i wonder if they'll bring Brackman up in Sept. and use him in the bullpen like Joba in 2007.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i wonder if they'll bring Brackman up in Sept. and use him in the bullpen like Joba in 2007.

I doubt it, he still has a ways to go and hopefully they learned their lesson with Joba.
    Tough loss last night with Cliff Lee going tonight.
    Montero watch. The kid keeps hitting 3 for 4 last night with a home run. Batting .433 in his last 30 ab's.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Montero watch. The kid keeps hitting 3 for 4 last night with a home run. Batting .433 in his last 30 ab's.

and when we get shutout tonight ....
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

and when we get shutout tonight ....

Eh. Cliff Lee will be a Yankee soon enough and Montero is going to be the real deal if they can find him a spot.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i know its only 1 hour, ( perhaps its psychosomatic )
    but this 8 o clock starts midweek are killing me
    was falling asleep during that game last night late in the game,...
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Did I mention I hate Girardi? He doesn't know how to manage.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Newch91 wrote:

True but now that he has a ring it's gona take forever to get ride of him. :?
    Newch91 wrote:

:cry::cry::cry: If they gave Torre that team, he would've won a championship. But Girardi's managerial skills are awful.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:

To say Girardi does not know how to manage is compete nonsense. Disagreeing with some of his decisions is one thing (I would not have walked the kid in the 10th) but to say he does not know how to manage, come on.

The fact is, he plays numbers and has had a rested bullpen for 2 years now, something we have never seen with the previous manager.
    on a bright note...aceves looks just about ready
    Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

:cry::cry::cry: If they gave Torre that team, he would've won a championship. But Girardi's managerial skills are awful.

Please, Dave Robertson would have 80 innings on his arm already.
    He kept AJ in too long and look what happened.
    Newch91 wrote:
    He kept AJ in too long and look what happened.

Left him in too long? The home run was hit in the 6th inning and AJ got through the 7th with 3 runs. I would hope the manager does not baby the pitcher and take him out after 5.2 innings with a runner on 1st. He missed his spot on that pitch, that's it. He had a 1,2,3 inning in the 7th. You are trying to hard to hate on Girardi. Burnett looked great, missed his spot on 1 pitch.