The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

You folks still like Castro?

Awful mistake last night but hell of a hitter. Everything is on the screws
    CC to the DL...lol
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    if the Sox sweep, is that it for Girardi?
    MayDay10 said:

No
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,754
    edited May 2016
    MayDay10 said:

They could go 0-162 and they still wouldn't fire Girardi. If George was still himself in 2008. He would've been fired then. Although he probably wouldn't have been the manager in the first place
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

MayDay10 said:

They could go 0-162 and they still wouldn't fire Girardi. If George was still himself in 2008. Je would've been fired then. Although he probably wouldn't have been the manager in the first place
    This is pretty comical.

Who is more responsible for this mess, Cashman or Girardi?
    edited May 2016
    What has Girardi done to get fired? The Yankees have pretty clearly outplayed the talent on their roster for 2 or so years now.

I get it, his name is not Don Mattingly...who I might add, managed teams that played consistently worse than their talent level
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,412

What was the awful mistake he made? details please?

Im gonna guess he fell asleep and made a bonehead defensive play?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

What has Girardi done to get fired? The Yankees have pretty clearly outplayed the talent on their roster for 2 or so years now.

I get it, his name is not Don Mattingly...who I might add, managed teams that played consistently worse than their talent level

He had 3 straight first place finishes. Something that organization hasn't done. He did the best he could without a good bullpen. I wouldn't say they were consistently worse. And the playoffs are a crapshoot. I think Girardi sometimes gets a pass because was anointed a great manager before he was a manager.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

He had 3 straight first place finishes. Something that organization hasn't done. He did the best he could without a good bullpen. I wouldn't say they were consistently worse. And the playoffs are a crapshoot. I think Girardi sometimes gets a pass because was anointed a great manager before he was a manager.
    I think Girardi gets a pass because the Yankees know they haven't given him dick to work with.

igotid88 said:

I think Girardi gets a pass because the Yankees know they haven't given him dick to work with.
    He has the players. They just underperformed. Elsbury is what I thought he would be. CC is not CC any more. Pineda hasn't really been that pitcher we thought we were getting. Eovaldi, we don't know if last year was an aberration. Headley not hitting.
    I miss igotid88
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,412

Cliffy?
    Please explain the mistake Castro made.

Im curious.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    edited May 2016
    igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

He has the players. They just underperformed. Elsbury is what I thought he would be. CC is not CC any more. Pineda hasn't really been that pitcher we thought we were getting. Eovaldi, we don't know if last year was an aberration. Headley not hitting.
    He has the players to do what? Field a team, sure. Everything you just pointed out points to Cashman. A bunch of question marks.

For the record, I could go either way on Cashman, but I would lean towards him staying and seeing the rebuild through.

I would strongly argue that they have significantly over performed the last couple years.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    This team presently constituted no matter who the manager is is an 85 win team. And since Alex and now CC went down. Everybody's been pretty much healthy.
    I miss igotid88
    I don't think they'll get swept again this weekend. And I believe they'll win more games than what people think these next 3 series coming up. But these are not the 3 teams you wanna see after starting off this bad.
    I miss igotid88
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519

igotid88 said:

MayDay10 said:

They could go 0-162 and they still wouldn't fire Girardi. If George was still himself in 2008. Je would've been fired then. Although he probably wouldn't have been the manager in the first place
    This is pretty comical.

Well, Cahman, but not the way you think. He has to play out the string on a couple of contracts. CC signed 7 years ago, ARod 8, Beltran a few in hopes of grabbing 1 more, etc. I gladly trade a couple rough years for the last World Series and the chances since then. There was no reason to trade last year and sign anyone this year. Let those contracts run their course, and then the next generation is ready. Hopefully a few of the, are for real, you already have Didi in place, then surround Bird, Judge, Severino, etc. with a couple of key free agents and it looks an awful lot like the way they won before.

And that's why Girardis not going anywhere. He won far more games than he should have last year. That and this team are terrible. After this year, they are in place to start the next go round, now, if this crop fails, Cashman and Girardi will both be gone. But that's at least 2017, and only if no progress is shown.

In the 80s George was the teams worst enemy bc he would fire guys and not follow the process. Only through his suspension was Stick Michael able to assemble and hold onto the core that turned into Champions. And that's the formula now. Patience. You need look no further than Queens to see what a good GM does when given the chance to develop a team.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.

igotid88 said:

MayDay10 said:

This is pretty comical.

Well, Cahman, but not the way you think. He has to play out the string on a couple of contracts. CC signed 7 years ago, ARod 8, Beltran a few in hopes of grabbing 1 more, etc. I gladly trade a couple rough years for the last World Series and the chances since then. There was no reason to trade last year and sign anyone this year. Let those contracts run their course, and then the next generation is ready. Hopefully a few of the, are for real, you already have Didi in place, then surround Bird, Judge, Severino, etc. with a couple of key free agents and it looks an awful lot like the way they won before.

And that's why Girardis not going anywhere. He won far more games than he should have last year. That and this team are terrible. After this year, they are in place to start the next go round, now, if this crop fails, Cashman and Girardi will both be gone. But that's at least 2017, and only if no progress is shown.

In the 80s George was the teams worst enemy bc he would fire guys and not follow the process. Only through his suspension was Stick Michael able to assemble and hold onto the core that turned into Champions. And that's the formula now. Patience. You need look no further than Queens to see what a good GM does when given the chance to develop a team.
    I think Omar Minaya should get some credit for the Mets success
    I miss igotid88
    edited May 2016
    completely agree on everything. Though I think cashman should be hit for the Ellsbury and even headley contracts. Those haven't had a minimal return.

He also hasn't made a bad trade in what seems like a decade. His drafts have been very poor until recently but I am good with him seeing this rebuild through, like I said.

I said last year that I think this is the year the wheels fall off. I got excited about potential but it wasn't to be. Play out the big contract, get the kids up and start the free agent process over.

Girardi is not going anywhere and he shouldn't
    igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

MayDay10 said:

This is pretty comical.

I think Omar Minaya should get some credit for the Mets success
    Definitely.

completely agree on everything. Though I think cashman should be hit for the Ellsbury and even headley contracts. Those haven't had a minimal return.

He also hasn't made a bad trade in what seems like a decade. His drafts have been very poor until recently but I am good with him seeing this rebuild through, like I said.

I said last year that I think this is the year the wheels fall off. I got excited about potential but it wasn't to be. Play out the big contract, get the kids up and start the free agent process over.

Well, Ellsbury hasn't been as bad as people think. When he's been healthy, he's made the offense go. Unfortunately, he was signed right at the end of the roids era when GMs had to start adjusting to the fact that age 27 and 28 are truly peaks and should no longer expect new peaks in mid 30s. It's hard to account for injuries and such.

Headley, well yeah. When you see guys like that have 1 amazing year it's hard not to assume PEDs were involved.
    edited May 2016
    Now Ellsbury is down.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    Someone get that new right fielder a pair of scissors
    I miss igotid88

Well, Ellsbury hasn't been as bad as people think. When he's been healthy, he's made the offense go. Unfortunately, he was signed right at the end of the roids era when GMs had to start adjusting to the fact that age 27 and 28 are truly peaks and should no longer expect new peaks in mid 30s. It's hard to account for injuries and such.

Headley, well yeah. When you see guys like that have 1 amazing year it's hard not to assume PEDs were involved.
    Ellsbury stinks. He made the offense go for 2 months since he's been here.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,218
    Despite the latest injury by Ellsbury, whose brittleness is getting tiresome and we're only in year three, that was actually a fun game, especially the ninth inning.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."

Well, you think Gardner is good, so I will take that for what it's worth. Ha ha.
    edited May 2016

Well, you think Gardner is good, so I will take that for what it's worth. Ha ha.
    Just as good as Ellsbury except he is incapable or stealing a base somehow and getting paid $100 million less

Just as good as Ellsbury except he is incapable or stealing a base somehow and getting paid $100 million less
    Let's see what they're doing in August. Ellsburys problem is injuries. Gardners is over exposure. Injuries are part of the game and a fair criticism at this point. Gardner is a he is a fourth OF and a result of playing out the string on expensive contracts. On a good team, he is not playing every day bc he's simply would not be one of the 3 best of on a day to day basis. Ellsbury wouldn't bc of injuries. There is a difference.
    And on Ellsbury, don't get me wrong. Right now, he's clearly not worth the contract he has. So, from that perspective there's no argument whatsoever.
    After last night, I think I may buy a ticket to Ortiz's last game to boo him

Let's see what they're doing in August. Ellsburys problem is injuries. Gardners is over exposure. Injuries are part of the game and a fair criticism at this point. Gardner is a he is a fourth OF and a result of playing out the string on expensive contracts. On a good team, he is not playing every day bc he's simply would not be one of the 3 best of on a day to day basis. Ellsbury wouldn't bc of injuries. There is a difference.
    Yeah but it's not like they didn't know he was fragile when they signed him.