The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• PJ51390PJ51390 Posts: 728
    I will preface this with I really hate the Yankees, but I find it amazing that Dempster gets suspended and didn't even get tossed out and, as much as I hate what I am about to say, why in the world would Girradi get fined for arguing with an umpire??? That is crazy! Is MLB going to fine every coach that gets kicked out for arguing?

And again, I hate the Yankees, but I LOVE how passionate Girrardi was in defending A-ROID.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    if you guys were in a real baseball league, your pitcher would have been able to plunk dempster his next time up...but nooo, he had someone batting for him. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    if you guys were in a real baseball league, your pitcher would have been able to plunk dempster his next time up...but nooo, he had someone batting for him. :lol:

True, but the umpire took that away by warning both benches... So CC would have been tossed if he threw at Dempster if they were in the NL... Arod exacted his own revenge with the home run, and the team got the win.

Like I read somewhere else... The Red Sox ought to cut Dempster for taking 4 pitches to hit Arod, obviously his control sucks!!
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    John Lackey will start against the Yankees on Saturday, but doesn’t think Alex Rodriguez should be batting against him.

Lackey teed off on the Yankees slugger and wondered how he is able to play with a 211-game suspension hanging over him for alleged PED use stemming from his ties to Biogenesis.

“I’ve got a problem with it. You bet I do,” Lackey told the Boston Globe on Thursday.

“How is he still playing? He obviously did something and he’s playing. I’m not sure that’s right . . . It’s pretty evident he’s been doing stuff for a lot of years I’ve been facing him.”

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/re ... v7W4tAOdRK

Whatever lackey worry about your own team :lol:

Ha Ha! Arod isn't the only player making you look bad Lackey!!
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Perfect throw from Romine.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Big sweep love it
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Big sweep love it

Hell yeah. What a day for nix

Could jump two team in the wild card standings tonight I think
    PJ51390 wrote:
    I will preface this with I really hate the Yankees, but I find it amazing that Dempster gets suspended and didn't even get tossed out and, as much as I hate what I am about to say, why in the world would Girradi get fined for arguing with an umpire??? That is crazy! Is MLB going to fine every coach that gets kicked out for arguing?

And again, I hate the Yankees, but I LOVE how passionate Girrardi was in defending A-ROID.

Love girardi's reaction. Think I read that managers typically always get fined a standard number for those type of arguments

Don't agree with the dempster suspension but had to figure it was going to be light. Bud was creaming himself
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,764
    Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson 2h
    Chased a Morneau update after that performance tonight. Source: "Yankees are back in it... and Baltimore may begin to panic."
    I miss igotid88
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Big sweep love it

Hell yeah. What a day for nix

Could jump two team in the wild card standings tonight I think

Looking good gotta finish the job against the jays before this weekend big series against the rays.
    4k is a big number
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    4k is a big number
    :clap:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    :shh:
    Hope we can get this game in, it's been raining pretty hard this am.
    Yanks have 20 games against Sox, Rays & O's. The other 16 are against last place teams.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Yanks have 20 games against Sox, Rays & O's. The other 16 are against last place teams.

Woah. interesting.
    Does anyone know status on Jeter and/or Texiera?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)

Woah. interesting.

DJ is in scranton supposed to play 5 innings today and Tex is out for the season, we may get Youk back but he hasn't started hitting yet.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217

Woah. interesting.

DJ is in scranton supposed to play 5 innings today and Tex is out for the season, we may get Youk back but he hasn't started hitting yet.

Thanks..I forgot about Youklis. I wish you didnt remind me. :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Thanks..I forgot about Youklis. I wish you didnt remind me. :lol:

We're not going to get a lot of help from the minors so he could be a decent option off the bench.
    Looks like we're playing some ball today first pitch 430, lets close out these bitches and head to tampa on a roll.
    DJ is supposed to be back tomm, hopefully he can stay healthy for the run to 28.
    DJ is supposed to be back tomm, hopefully he can stay healthy for the run to 28.

Word, man. This team got me back into it. Not going to be too disappointed if they don't make it given what happened this season, but this could get to be a lot of fun. And hey, we get to watch pennant race baseball. I'll never complain about that. They also showed that the Yankees overall demise has been greatly exaggerated.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Word, man. This team got me back into it. Not going to be too disappointed if they don't make it given what happened this season, but this could get to be a lot of fun. And hey, we get to watch pennant race baseball. I'll never complain about that. They also showed that the Yankees overall demise has been greatly exaggerated.

We have a big advantage with the schedule too

3@TB
    3@TOR
    3 Balt
    3 CWS
    4 Boston
    4@Baltimore
    3@Boston
    3@Toronto
    3 SF
    3 TB
    3@Houston

15 of 35 against last place teams and 7 left against the sox
    Found the stub to my ticket for my first Yankees game. June 11th, 1989, Game 1 of a double header.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 6111.shtml

Pretty awesome lineup. Ricky, Sax, Balboni, Barfield, Hall and of course Donnie. Too bad they sucked. :lol:

Going to frame it with a picture of me and my old man at the last old timers game at the old stadium along with his cap, which i still have.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Found the stub to my ticket for my first Yankees game. June 11th, 1989, Game 1 of a double header.

Pretty awesome lineup. Ricky, Sax, Balboni, Barfield, Hall and of course Donnie. Too bad they sucked. :lol:

Going to frame it with a picture of me and my old man at the last old timers game at the old stadium along with his cap, which i still have.

Did you stay for Game 2?

This is the Times account of events

The Don Mattingly windup doll is back, working as effectively as ever. Dallas Green, who this year got to play with it as the manager for the first time, has belatedly discovered what he was doing wrong: He wasn't winding it up early enough.

Yesterday, for the fourth and fifth successive games, Mattingly drove in the Yankees' first runs of the game in the first inning, and his efforts triggered a sweep of a doubleheader with the Boston Red Sox, 4-2 and 8-7.

Mattingly added a two-run home run in the seventh inning of the second game for a 7-2 lead, and it became vital when the Red Sox rallied for five runs in the eighth against Lance McCullers and Dale Mohorcic. The Yankees won the game by scoring a run in their half of the eighth. Jesse Barfield walked, was sacrificed to second, stopped at third on a single by Alvaro Espinoza and scored on Rickey Henderson's pinch-hit single.

''This day was significant for us as a club,'' Mattingly said. ''With all the rain we've had, we have all those doubleheaders to play. I said let's set a precedent for the days we play doubleheaders.'' Immeasurable Relaxation

Mattingly's teammates viewed his resurgence as significant.

''When you look to someone on a team to do well, when they come through, it relaxes the other guys,'' Dave Righetti said. ''Donnie hits well and it relaxes the guys around him. It gives us an aura of superiority or power. We know we can beat anybody. It picks a team up so much you can't measure it.''

Mattingly's continued production was gratifying to the Yankees but no more so than the pitching efforts of Andy Hawkins and Jimmy Jones, the former-Padre contingent in their starting rotation.

Facing the Red Sox for the first time, the right-handers gave up a total of only 11 hits in 14 innings to the team that had amassed 35 hits in the first two games of the series. Hawkins, entering the first game with a 6.08 earned run average, shut out the Red Sox until the eighth inning, when they scored an unearned run, and Jones, who had a 6.75 e.r.a., had a shutout going until the sixth.

Mattingly gave both pitchers instant 2-0 leads. After Joe Price walked the first two batters in the first inning of the opener on eight pitches, Mattingly drilled a double to right field, and the Yankees had a lead they never relinquished. After Nick Esasky dropped a throw at first base on the second batter of the first inning of the second game, Mattingly slugged a home run over the right-center field fence for another 2-0 lead. Revival at Plate

In the previous three games, one against Baltimore and two against Boston, Mattingly drove in first-inning runs with a home run, a sacrifice fly and a double (for two runs). In the series with the Red Sox, he drove in seven runs in the first.

His early-game hitting is part of the first baseman's recent hitting revival, a development that is mandatory if the Yankees are to rise above the morass of mediocrity in which the American League East is mired. In the last 26 games, for example, Mattingly has driven in 25 runs and batted .364, raising his average from .233 to a season-high .295. In addition, after hitting no home runs in the Yankees' first 42 games, he has hit 6 in the last 18.

''I'm getting better pitches to hit,'' Mattingly said. ''I'm not swinging at the bad pitches as much. I've narrowed my zone. When I've come up in the first inning, the runners have been out there. You want to move them around.''

Hawkins was the first pitcher to benefit from Mattingly's performance yesterday. The last time Hawkins pitched was the last time Mattingly did not drive in a run in the first inning, and he gave up 10 runs, all unearned, in two and one-third innings.

This time, Hawkins allowed three singles in the first seven innings, then gave up a run in the eighth on Rich Gedman's single, Henderson's error on the play, Don Slaught's passed ball and Esasky's groundout. Resting on a 5-0 Lead

In the second game, Jones, making his third start, thwarted the Red Sox until he had a 5-0 lead. The Red Sox scored two runs in the sixth when Wade Boggs doubled in Jody Reed, who had singled, and came home on a single by Dwight Evans. McCullers replaced Jones at the start of the next inning, then let the Red Sox back in the game in the eighth.

McCullers pitched to five batters in the eighth, and all reached base, four on singles, one on a walk. Boggs, Mike Greenwell and Evans stroked successive run-scoring singles. Mohorcic relieved McCullers, and the Red Sox tied the game, 7-7. Greenwell scored as Esasky grounded out, and Ellis Burks raced home on Mohorcic's wild pitch.

Three balls later, Green stormed out of the dugout to the mound, screaming at Mohorcic and bringing in Scott Nielsen.

''It's time that major league pitchers pitch like major league pitchers,'' the manager said later, soothed by the eventual outcome. ''I think I've been fair to them. Now it's time to get a payback. The offense can't keep bouncing back. It tears the guts out of us.'' Kelly Returns

Deion Sanders, who batted .212 in nine games, is being sent to Columbus to make room for Roberto Kelly, who comes off the disabled list today. Sanders said he was going to Atlanta today to negotiate his football contract with the Falcons and would eventually join Columbus. He didn't say when, but remarked: ''I'm being paid to report there. I'll do what I have to do.'' . . . Clay Parker, with a blister on the middle finger of his right hand, was placed on the 15-day disabled list. Nielsen was brought up from Columbus to take Parker's place.

I think the description of the screaming at Mohorcic is why he was called Dale Mohorseshit
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    10 worst decisions of the Cashman era. :fp:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1746 ... ashman-era
    Mo Ks 11 against the White Sox in '95. Watch for John Kruk. :lol:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-bas ... er-in-1995
  • Here's a much better list than anything bleacher report will ever run:

http://espn.go.com/newyork/photos/galle ... kees-feuds
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Go Rays
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

nice. i have mine from august 1st, 1986--phils/cubs at the vet. my dad had reserved parking right next to the stadium and i thought that was the coolest thing ever. schmidt hit a double. gary redus was 0-4 :lol:
    www.myspace.com