The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Slade Heathcott, Cito Culver, Tyler Austin, Gary Sanchez, and Mark Montgomery getting invites to big league camp.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Slade Heathcott, Cito Culver, Tyler Austin, Gary Sanchez, and Mark Montgomery getting invites to big league camp.

Culver blows, he will never hit enough to be a starter, just think we could've had taijiuan walker who went 43rd that draft. Anyway not complaining Oppenheimer did a great job overall with that draft

2 Angelo Gumbs
    4 Mason Williams
    5 Tommy Kahnle
    13 Tyler Austin
    15 Chase Whitley
    17 Preston Claibourne
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Culver blows, he will never hit enough to be a starter, just think we could've had taijiuan walker who went 43rd that draft. Anyway not complaining Oppenheimer did a great job overall with that draft

2 Angelo Gumbs
    4 Mason Williams
    5 Tommy Kahnle
    13 Tyler Austin
    15 Chase Whitley
    17 Preston Claibourne

Yeah, I have never liked the Culver pick, never understood it. I can't wait for some of these other kids to start getting closer though.

Yanks have a lot of picks this year too.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

2 Angelo Gumbs
    4 Mason Williams
    5 Tommy Kahnle
    13 Tyler Austin
    15 Chase Whitley
    17 Preston Claibourne

Yeah, I have never liked the Culver pick, never understood it. I can't wait for some of these other kids to start getting closer though.

Yanks have a lot of picks this year too.

From what I've read it's not the strongest class but at least we have a bunch of early rounders.
  • Mark Teixeira says his eight-year, $180 million contract is too much.

"I have no problem with anybody in New York, any fan, saying, 'You're overpaid.' Because I am," Teixeira told the Wall Street Journal. "We all are.

Agents are probably going to hate me for saying it. You're not very valuable when you're making $20 million. When you're Mike Trout making the minimum, you are crazy valuable. My first six years, before I was a free agent, I was very valuable. But there's nothing you can do that can justify a $20 million [per year] contract."

Teixeira, 32, also went on to temper any expectations that he could be the one to pick up the slack from the production the Yankees have seemingly lost this offseason.

"Maybe I'm slowing down a tick. Look, I'm not going to play forever. Eventually you start, I don't want to say declining, but it gets harder and harder to put up 30 [homers] and 100 [RBI]," said Teixeira, who is entering his fifth year as a Yankee.

He said he isn't going to do anything differently this season. Last winter, he spoke about bunting and going the other way. By the end of the 2012 season, he said he was only kidding about the bunting part and abandoned the new all-fields approach after struggling early. He finished at .251 with 24 homers and 84 RBIs in 123 games.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... ty=newyork

Jesus only 32 and you're slowing down, what does that say about cano's upcoming free agency :fp:
  • That article is such a tug of war on a Yankee fan.
    I gotta agree with him, and it sucks to hear him say those things and confirm that he's having major doubts. I Like Tex and the fact that he seems to work hard..
    I always wonder how hard it would be to forget the fact that you make like 50K or more in a single At-bat. That would fuck with me head a little.

And I think 20 million per year is ludicrous, but if fans are paying to see them and they are a handful of entertainers out of a population of 300 million+...

So, lets hear what Tex has to say about Arod. :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Mark Teixeira says his eight-year, $180 million contract is too much.

"I have no problem with anybody in New York, any fan, saying, 'You're overpaid.' Because I am," Teixeira told the Wall Street Journal. "We all are.

Agents are probably going to hate me for saying it. You're not very valuable when you're making $20 million. When you're Mike Trout making the minimum, you are crazy valuable. My first six years, before I was a free agent, I was very valuable. But there's nothing you can do that can justify a $20 million [per year] contract."

Teixeira, 32, also went on to temper any expectations that he could be the one to pick up the slack from the production the Yankees have seemingly lost this offseason.

"Maybe I'm slowing down a tick. Look, I'm not going to play forever. Eventually you start, I don't want to say declining, but it gets harder and harder to put up 30 [homers] and 100 [RBI]," said Teixeira, who is entering his fifth year as a Yankee.

He said he isn't going to do anything differently this season. Last winter, he spoke about bunting and going the other way. By the end of the 2012 season, he said he was only kidding about the bunting part and abandoned the new all-fields approach after struggling early. He finished at .251 with 24 homers and 84 RBIs in 123 games.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... ty=newyork

Jesus only 32 and you're slowing down, what does that say about cano's upcoming free agency :fp:

Good, glad to see a pro athlete admit he's over paid. However, he suffered the injuries in August/September, maybe he knows something, maybe he's not healthy.

Maybe he's talking about his career left and the numbers in order to jedi mind trick his mind, lower expectations equals less pressure and generally better results. I sure hope so,
    Bottom line, he needs to put the ball in play, regardless of its a monster shit to right field, he talked about bunting last year at this time, he probably won't again this year but he should.

Show the teams that you'll push one to left and maybe teams won't shift, maybe then you can hit the alleys in right field again.
  • I don't get the big deal about bunting, if he drops a few down at least it will keep the other team honest and he might see less shifts.
  • Man I hope JEET is good to go.
    I love that man, I'm a believer he will pass Pete Rose. All my buddies tell me I'm crazy
    With the ankle now I'm not sure but I still think he'll pass Musial. I just hope that idiot Cashman doesn't get involved again, Jeter runs that team not him
  • Man I hope JEET is good to go.
    I love that man, I'm a believer he will pass Pete Rose. All my buddies tell me I'm crazy
    With the ankle now I'm not sure but I still think he'll pass Musial. I just hope that idiot Cashman doesn't get involved again, Jeter runs that team not him

He's the man.. I really hope he's back to regular form or close.
    his hit total will get interesting for sure.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 170 hits for 8 more years. That was my math at the start of 2011

Love him, but No way. Unless They trade him to the Marlins when he's 47 :lol:

Have a look at Roses numbers at Jeet's age. You'll see

Have a look at Roses numbers at Jeet's age. You'll see

Rose only had one season after 40 where he got 170 hits... then it was all downhill from there on out.
    Rose hits:
    185 (39 yrs old)
    140 (40 yrs old)
    172 (41 yrs old)
    ...then his numbers fell off fast. trust me, I wish Jeter had a shot, but I doubt it... but it will still be interesting.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I wouldn't worry about chasing down pete rose if i was jeter. I'd finish up this contract and then go live the life.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I just wish they could find a way to void A-Rod's contract and send him on his merry way.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • intodeep wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about chasing down pete rose if i was jeter. I'd finish up this contract and then go live the life.

The way JEET is he probably isn't worried about it. He's just good enough and will play long enough to get the hits.
  • tybird wrote:
    I just wish they could find a way to void A-Rod's contract and send him on his merry way.

A -rod won't play again. They will find a way, or Miami will get him. Loria is dumb enough to trade for him
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    only 8 more days
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • intodeep wrote:

He's living the life now :lol:
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,770
    tybird wrote:

A -rod won't play again. They will find a way, or Miami will get him. Loria is dumb enough to trade for him

Alex will have to sign off on that to happen.
    I miss igotid88
  • 1. Pete Rose (24) 4256 B
    2. Ty Cobb+ (24) 4189 L
    3. Hank Aaron+ (23) 3771 R
    4. Stan Musial+ (22) 3630 L
    5. Tris Speaker+ (22) 3514 L
    6. Cap Anson+ (27) 3435 R
    7. Honus Wagner+ (21) 3420 R
    8. Carl Yastrzemski+ (23) 3419 L
    9. Paul Molitor+ (21) 3319 R
    10. Eddie Collins+ (25) 3315 L
    11. Derek Jeter (18, 38) 3304 R

He' ll be 6th after this year, I think he'll wind up 3rd all time but its going to be a stretch to get to 4k let alone pass Rose.
  • 1. Pete Rose (24) 4256 B
    2. Ty Cobb+ (24) 4189 L
    3. Hank Aaron+ (23) 3771 R
    4. Stan Musial+ (22) 3630 L
    5. Tris Speaker+ (22) 3514 L
    6. Cap Anson+ (27) 3435 R
    7. Honus Wagner+ (21) 3420 R
    8. Carl Yastrzemski+ (23) 3419 L
    9. Paul Molitor+ (21) 3319 R
    10. Eddie Collins+ (25) 3315 L
    11. Derek Jeter (18, 38) 3304 R

He' ll be 6th after this year, I think he'll wind up 3rd all time but its going to be a stretch to get to 4k let alone pass Rose.

JEET is technically 10th right now. Cap Anson has an asterisk, bunch of his hits are questionable. Years ago they considered a walk as a hit.
    Really like the Yankees showing in Keith Law's farm rankings and top prospects. Overall ranking of 10 and 5 top 100 prospects. This is good news, especially with 3 top 35 picks this year. Love what he had to say about Sanchez.

Just a few more days....
  • Montero is on the list from the Miami clinic.
    Montero is on the list from the Miami clinic.

Saw that. What a disaster of a situation this is going to be. A lot of names connected to some random lists and no one is going to know anything
  • Montero is on the list from the Miami clinic.

So is Cervelli.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539

So is Cervelli.
    Links? Can't find the source.
  • LloydXmas wrote:

So is Cervelli.
    Links? Can't find the source.

It was in the daily news.