The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    It's interesting. It''s essentially an updated version of the first book written on Jeter about 10 years ago by Jack Curry. The stuff about him and Rodriguez is very extensive and interesting.
    Hmm...I might have to take a look at that. I've read the one Jeter wrote. Liked it. I posted a link here last week or two weeks ago about a book I saw at B&N about Joe D's hit streak. That looks interesting.

Bought the Joe D book a month or so ago, looks really good, haven't thought about digging into it yet though. Just got started on the new Mattingly biography. Looks like a quick read.
    Nice. I started the Thurman book and didn't finish it. I think the Joe D one will be read before I finish Thurman. I'll probably check out the Mattingly one also.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    Newch91 wrote:
    Nice. I started the Thurman book and didn't finish it. I think the Joe D one will be read before I finish Thurman. I'll probably check out the Mattingly one also.

Haven't read the Munson book, heard it was good though. The Joe D book looks really good, much different than most biographies in that it concentrates solely on the hit streak and everything going on at that point, from what I understand. Have heard great things about it. The Mattingly book is going to be a quick read then on to a couple non baseball books then back to 56, I think.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    fucking melky way
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Haven't read the Munson book, heard it was good though. The Joe D book looks really good, much different than most biographies in that it concentrates solely on the hit streak and everything going on at that point, from what I understand. Have heard great things about it. The Mattingly book is going to be a quick read then on to a couple non baseball books then back to 56, I think.
    Yeah I saw that book and I'm happy that it concentrates just on the streak. I'm finishing up a Lennon book he wrote during his five-year break and looking to read the Joe D book. Too bad my grandfather wasn't around anymore; it would've been great to talk to him about the streak.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    fucking melky way

Pretty fitting. Was nice to see the creatures give him a roll call.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Yeah I saw that book and I'm happy that it concentrates just on the streak. I'm finishing up a Lennon book he wrote during his five-year break and looking to read the Joe D book. Too bad my grandfather wasn't around anymore; it would've been great to talk to him about the streak.

Yeah, man. Always enjoy talking baseball with oldtimers. Love hearing stories about those guys. My old mans favorite player was Whitey Ford, lots of great stories.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, man. Always enjoy talking baseball with oldtimers. Love hearing stories about those guys. My old mans favorite player was Whitey Ford, lots of great stories.
    Yeah, it's always a blast talking to them about baseball. My grandfather's favorite player was Joe D and my dad's favorite was Thurman and Mattingly. I did community service in a convalescent home and one of the guys was a huge Yankees fan and I ended up spending the most time with him; he was always talking about the Yankees. He said his father took him to games in 1927 and he said it was the best thing he's ever seen. He said they saw batting practice and Ruth and Gehrig were destroying the ball and hitting it deep in the seats.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Yeah, it's always a blast talking to them about baseball. My grandfather's favorite player was Joe D and my dad's favorite was Thurman and Mattingly. I did community service in a convalescent home and one of the guys was a huge Yankees fan and I ended up spending the most time with him; he was always talking about the Yankees. He said his father took him to games in 1927 and he said it was the best thing he's ever seen. He said they saw batting practice and Ruth and Gehrig were destroying the ball and hitting it deep in the seats.

Nice, thats great stuff. Could you imagine watching those two take BP? That is pretty incredible.
    Who is this shortstop playing for the Yankees? :lol::lol: Good to see.

Come on Arod.
    Wouldn't have missed that a few weeks ago
    Nice. Big hit.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Nice, thats great stuff. Could you imagine watching those two take BP? That is pretty incredible.
    I would've gone just to see those two take BP. That would've been worth the price of admission itself. He's seen them all play.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I would've gone just to see those two take BP. That would've been worth the price of admission itself. He's seen them all play.

haha, admission was probably $0.50 back then. Yes, well worth it. Thats great.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

haha, admission was probably $0.50 back then. Yes, well worth it. Thats great.
    Hahaha probably.

Jeter has been on fire lately.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Hahaha probably.

Jeter has been on fire lately.

6 for his last 9 I think. Batting average getting towards .290. Hopefully he can keep it up. Great to see though. Hate the attention he was starting to get.
    Step on up Montero. Yanks need themselves a DH. All the talk about Jeter, this is pretty fucking sad, dude is lost.
    Horrible call but I'll take it.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    By the way. How awesome is Dave Robertson? Gotta be the most underrated player on the Yankees.
    Is there are more well known trainer than Gene Monahan? Going to be strange not seeing him there next year.
    Your major league home run leader, Curtis Granderson. In the words of you know who, you just can't predict baseball.
    dam 1 st and 2 nd no outs back to back innings and zip..no good
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    dam 1 st and 2 nd no outs back to back innings and zip..no good

Yeah, offense has been weak.
    Someones gotta get hit, mistake or not. Pitcher looked a little shaken up. Well maybe not in a one run game, just hate to see someone, especially cano get hit in the head.
    There you go. Thanks AJ. Now get out of it.
    is cano alright? was in shower

cmon 1st and 2nd again no outs
    they cant even bunt with posada on 2nd :roll:

Seemed alright. Was down for a minute or two, walked to first but they took him out. Was smiling as he left the field and dugout. Seemed alright. Scary though.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Seemed alright. Was down for a minute or two, walked to first but they took him out. Was smiling as he left the field and dugout. Seemed alright. Scary though.

oh lord....don't need that

ya gotta pinch run jorge and bunt the runners over

fucking giradi...i don't get it
    tracey morgan!!!! :lol: