The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    g under p wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Disappointing end to a fun season. While this team was awesome at times, it just didn't have the feel of the 2009 team. Overall, another fun season of Yankees baseball.

A few questions going into the offseason.

Jeter, Mo, Pettitte and Girardi. Assume all will be back.

Where does Montero fit in next season? How many games does Posada catch?

Cliff Lee, Cliff Lee, Cliff Lee.

If the Yankees are to sign Cliff Lee, how much do you think they would spend on that signing? I'm trying to gauge how much the Yankees total spending would be in 2011.

Peace

I think it will be around $25 mil a year, maybe a few dollars less, $23.5 will probably be the low end I think.. After signing Mo, Jeter, Pettitte and most likely Cliff Lee, next years payroll will be similar to this past years.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    Newch91 wrote:
    I hate to think of this but when Jeter retires, I don't think I would be able to watch as many Yankee games as I am now. All I've known since I started watching baseball in 1996 is Derek Jeter. He's my favorite player. It's going to be so weird to not see him as the starting shortstop in the future.

i felt the same when mattingly left.
    I miss igotid88
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Disappointing end to a fun season. While this team was awesome at times, it just didn't have the feel of the 2009 team. Overall, another fun season of Yankees baseball.

If the Yankees are to sign Cliff Lee, how much do you think they would spend on that signing? I'm trying to gauge how much the Yankees total spending would be in 2011.

Peace

I think it will be around $25 mil a year, maybe a few dollars less, $23.5 will probably be the low end I think.. After signing Mo, Jeter, Pettitte and most likely Cliff Lee, next years payroll will be similar to this past years.

that's too much. he's going to be 33 next year.
    I miss igotid88
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i think montero is gonna be the backup catcher. unless they sign a free agent catcher. i don't think cervelli will be back. maybe they trade him for a reliever. i just think they're going to bring montero up and have peña work with him. get him ready for more catching duties in 2012.
    I miss igotid88
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Did you all just see that from the Vikings/Packers game? They showed Jeter in full Red Sox gear, Jordan in Knicks jersey and Bird in Lakers jersey also Elway as a Raider. The Jeter one was too funny.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    g under p wrote:
    Did you all just see that from the Vikings/Packers game? They showed Jeter in full Red Sox gear, Jordan in Knicks jersey and Bird in Lakers jersey also Elway as a Raider. The Jeter one was too funny.

Peace
    I did not see that. It is basphomy.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    cliff lee is a beast and a yankee killer, but i don't like the whole mentality of... can't beat him, sign him. yankees will get a lot of flack for signing him, not because of the $, but because it's a cheap way to avoid facing another player.

kind of like how steinbrenner was persuing griffey in the 90's.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

100%. just didn't have the same feel to it like it did last year. matsui/damon missing pieces after all?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Dave Eiland was fired today.

odd.
    He is a pretty good pitching coach.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    intodeep wrote:

odd.

That's dumb..... I hope Burnetts struggles didn't have anything to do with it. We all know he only pitches well in contract years! Typical head(s) have to roll if we don't win it all.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    intodeep wrote:

odd.

Doesn't surprise me after what the clubhouse kid said
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • intodeep wrote:

odd.

What did the clubhouse kid say?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    intodeep wrote:

odd.

What did the clubhouse kid say?

It's on the previuos page

Basically half the clubhouse hates him..including coaches and players
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    g under p wrote:

Peace

pretty brutal watching that.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    intodeep wrote:

odd.

i thought you were talking about girardi
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

odd.

i thought you were talking about girardi

Yea gird not eiland
    I realize how that might. Have been confusing
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,979
    Not a good look, boys. Money can solve a lot of problems, but I don't think this is one of them.....not a good look at all....

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/ ... id=5729471
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    More bad news....Bill Shannon the official scorer at Yankee Stadium died in a house fire. Horrible year. Jesus.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    More bad news....Bill Shannon the official scorer at Yankee Stadium died in a house fire. Horrible year. Jesus.

jesus, that is terrible.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

lord the year cant end soon enough
  • Not a good look, boys. Money can solve a lot of problems, but I don't think this is one of them.....not a good look at all....

That wasn't too bright, was it?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Best official scorer in the business. I just saw him last week and we were joking how Game Five arrived to the seventh inning stretch in a brisk three hours and 15 minutes.

When I used to have to keep track of games on a pitch-by-pitch basis, he had a simple way for keeping track when at-bat reached five pitches on a non full count. He would briefly look at his scorecard, turn around and wave his hand to indicate we were at five pitches.

When he signed his copy of the official scoring book four years ago, he inscribed it: "Thanks for all the fives".

By the way I still keep score that way, partially because it's a way to keep your head in the game.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Stay classy NY. Philly fans are morons, but it's annoying how this kind of crap gets overblown when it happens here. when it happens elsewhere the fans are just being passionate.

Fans' treatment of Cliff Lee's wife at Yankee Stadium was ugly, but it might not have hurt the Yankees' recruitment of one of the game's top left-handed pitchers.

During the AL Championship Series games in New York between the Yankees and Rangers, fans were extremely rude to Kristen Lee, spitting and throwing beer in her direction and shouting obscenities, according to USA Today.

But the treatment apparently did not change how the Lees feel about New York.

"The story is not an issue to us," Lee's agent, Darek Braunecker, told ESPNNewYork.com. "Her experience in New York is certainly a non-issue. She enjoys New York as much as anyone enjoys New York."

Lee starts Game 1 of the World Series against the San Francisco Giants on Wednesday after helping Texas beat New York in the ALCS in six games. But there has been widespread speculation that the Yankees will make a serious run at signing Lee when he becomes a free agent after the season.

That didn't stop Yankees fans from harassing Lee's wife.

"The fans did not do good things in my heart," Kristen Lee said, according to the newspaper. "When people are staring at you, and saying horrible things, it's hard not to take it personal."

Kristen Lee sat in the visiting family section, according to USA Today. Braunecker said the Lees know that fans can get rowdy at any stadium and that the Bronx crowd was no worse than others.

On the flip side of Kristen Lee's bad experience in New York is her close relationship with CC Sabathia's wife, Amber. They have been close since Sabathia and Cliff Lee played together in Cleveland.

Cliff Lee and Sabathia are friends as well. The Sabathias and Lees already were discussing where the Lees should live when it appeared as if the Yankees were going to make a trade for Lee in July.

The Yankees are expected to make Lee their No. 1 free agent target. He will likely receive a deal in the five-to-seven year range at $100 million to $150 million. It also could be Lee's final major contract; he turns 33 during next season.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Best official scorer in the business. I just saw him last week and we were joking how Game Five arrived to the seventh inning stretch in a brisk three hours and 15 minutes.

When I used to have to keep track of games on a pitch-by-pitch basis, he had a simple way for keeping track when at-bat reached five pitches on a non full count. He would briefly look at his scorecard, turn around and wave his hand to indicate we were at five pitches.

When he signed his copy of the official scoring book four years ago, he inscribed it: "Thanks for all the fives".

By the way I still keep score that way, partially because it's a way to keep your head in the game.

Forgot to add the way he read the pitching lines was a treat. Here's the line on Pettitte, 7 IP, 2 runs, 4 hits, 1 walk, 9 strikeouts, 1 home run. He would read that a second time and it would end with him saying after a pause and one home run.

Plus nobody hated the sacrifice fly more than him. You'd hear in a low grumble say, sacrifice fly.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    The Fixer wrote:
    Stay classy NY. Philly fans are morons, but it's annoying how this kind of crap gets overblown when it happens here. when it happens elsewhere the fans are just being passionate.

Fans' treatment of Cliff Lee's wife at Yankee Stadium was ugly, but it might not have hurt the Yankees' recruitment of one of the game's top left-handed pitchers.

During the AL Championship Series games in New York between the Yankees and Rangers, fans were extremely rude to Kristen Lee, spitting and throwing beer in her direction and shouting obscenities, according to USA Today.

But the treatment apparently did not change how the Lees feel about New York.

"The story is not an issue to us," Lee's agent, Darek Braunecker, told ESPNNewYork.com. "Her experience in New York is certainly a non-issue. She enjoys New York as much as anyone enjoys New York."

Lee starts Game 1 of the World Series against the San Francisco Giants on Wednesday after helping Texas beat New York in the ALCS in six games. But there has been widespread speculation that the Yankees will make a serious run at signing Lee when he becomes a free agent after the season.

That didn't stop Yankees fans from harassing Lee's wife.

"The fans did not do good things in my heart," Kristen Lee said, according to the newspaper. "When people are staring at you, and saying horrible things, it's hard not to take it personal."

Kristen Lee sat in the visiting family section, according to USA Today. Braunecker said the Lees know that fans can get rowdy at any stadium and that the Bronx crowd was no worse than others.

On the flip side of Kristen Lee's bad experience in New York is her close relationship with CC Sabathia's wife, Amber. They have been close since Sabathia and Cliff Lee played together in Cleveland.

Cliff Lee and Sabathia are friends as well. The Sabathias and Lees already were discussing where the Lees should live when it appeared as if the Yankees were going to make a trade for Lee in July.

The Yankees are expected to make Lee their No. 1 free agent target. He will likely receive a deal in the five-to-seven year range at $100 million to $150 million. It also could be Lee's final major contract; he turns 33 during next season.

Apparently it was issue enough for Kristen Lee to talk to the press about it. Gotta love agents trying to spin everything.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Not a good look, boys. Money can solve a lot of problems, but I don't think this is one of them.....not a good look at all....

gotta love those classy yankees fan :roll: :roll: :lol::lol::lol:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    I believe $ 150 million will help her get over the incident real quick ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,558

That wasn't too bright, was it?

frankly, i am appalled.

:twisted:
    www.myspace.com
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577

Shameful.

We gotta erase these bad vibes by the start of next season.
    I believe $ 150 million will help her get over the incident real quick ..

Exactly.....but with t.he success of the rangers I know it's nowhere near a slam dunk