Options

Comments

• Options
    I'm interested in seeing this for the thematic implications of the story. I've asked people who've seen it if the movie is about a hindu goddess or incarnation of a goddess and they all have said, 'huh?'.... but that is what an "avatar" is so I'm perplexed. Or maybe the people who've seen it fell asleep :lol:
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    I'm interested in seeing this for the thematic implications of the story. I've asked people who've seen it if the movie is about a hindu goddess or incarnation of a goddess and they all have said, 'huh?'.... but that is what an "avatar" is so I'm perplexed. Or maybe the people who've seen it fell asleep :lol:

I know what you are talking about and no, it has nothing to do with the Hindu. It's more based on the computer meaning of the word Avatar.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
    ~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I'm going to see it again with all the kids in 3d IMAX
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    smarchee wrote:
    did anyone else get turned on by the chick avatar, sexy body
    yeah...she was not too shabby :lol:

mmhmm, I was randy afterwards
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    its not that smart. its the same stereotypical whites vs stereotypical natives crap you've already heard a million times. its pretty to look at, but the characters and story are pretty boring.
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I really enjoyed the film but it really reminded me of something else I'd seen, my friend reminded me last night - Fern Gully!!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    the movie you are all reminded of is DANCING WITH WOLVES

visually this movie is amazing, story wise...who cares it looks so fucking cool!
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    didn't read through all the posts so far, but has anybody seen it in both regular movie and Imax? I want to go see it, but it's alittle more than a hour drive to the nearest Imax, is it really worth it? (yes, I know, Imax is amazing, but I don't exactly have 5-6 hours to kill for a movie unless it's truely worth it).
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Finally saw this on saturday. I dug it.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

OK.....This is kinda weird.......because after me and my girlfriend saw this movie
    we went home and she was "in the mood" ;)
    She told me she started feeling horny in the middle of the movie.
    What in the hell is going on with this movie?
    Maybe we should go back this weekend to test it out :P
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:

OK.....This is kinda weird.......because after me and my girlfriend saw this movie
    we went home and she was "in the mood" ;)
    She told me she started feeling horny in the middle of the movie.
    What in the hell is going on with this movie?
    Maybe we should go back this weekend to test it out :P[/quote]

The second time around I saw it in IMAX and the chick avatar was even more sexy on that big screen. I was sleepy prior to the IMAX movie but somehow I stayed awake maybe due to the packed house, different glasses than the 3d movie or this being my first IMAX movie. Either way it was still fun seeing it again and my fiance and the kids all loved it.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Well, I probably shouldn't admit this here, but I cried the entire last hour of the movie. Saw it with my daughter who's in the army, and for me it was very sad. I thought it was a great movie, although predictable. Well worth the extra to see it in 3D.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    this movie was visually remarkable - when they had "humans" in pandora - it hardly seemed cgi at all ... it was seamless the interaction between the navi and humans ... the story although not very original - still is very important in this day and age of paramilitaries, ecological disaster and greed ...

i could do without some of the bad dialogue too but in the end ... this movie is a must-see just for the visuals on the big screen (at the minimum in 3-d) ...
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Wow !!

I saw it last night in IMAX 3D..incredible

The storyline is been done before like others have said but the visual effects are amazing

AVATAR 2 ???? I wonder what the possibilities are for that
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    polaris_x wrote:
    this movie was visually remarkable - when they had "humans" in pandora - it hardly seemed cgi at all ... it was seamless the interaction between the navi and humans ... the story although not very original - still is very important in this day and age of paramilitaries, ecological disaster and greed ...

i could do without some of the bad dialogue too but in the end ... this movie is a must-see just for the visuals on the big screen (at the minimum in 3-d) ...

Jearlpam, I broke down and went to see it. As an original monkeywrencher and part American native, how could I not love it. I agree with this person I'm quoting. Maybe not the most original idea, but the story is one that bears repeating. However, I do not believe that Cameron has ever really felt the earth connection this movie refers to. I think he saw a chance to make $, not educate anyone. Still, if someone is moved by it, good for them.

One day I will personally scalp all you white devils.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,779
    eyedclaar wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Jearlpam, I broke down and went to see it. As an original monkeywrencher and part American native, how could I not love it. I agree with this person I'm quoting. Maybe not the most original idea, but the story is one that bears repeating. However, I do not believe that Cameron has ever really felt the earth connection this movie refers to. I think he saw a chance to make $, not educate anyone. Still, if someone is moved by it, good for them.

A little piece of me has died.......
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Can't we all just get along !

lone-ranger-1.jpg

• Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

If it is any consolation, I still think Titanic sucked. Like I said, I run around in the forest wearing a loin cloth and hating humans... I didn't have a choice.

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,779
    eyedclaar wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

If it is any consolation, I still think Titanic sucked. Like I said, I run around in the forest wearing a loin cloth and hating humans... I didn't have a choice.

Yeah, but I'm an asshole, and I'm at the point of pure defiance and spite for not seeing it. It could be absolutely magical in IMAX 3-D, but I'm past that point, Eyed.
  • Options
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options

Hmmmm

Care to extrapolate ?

• Options
    Even with a predictable plot AVATAR surpasses the $2 Billion mark worldwide. Making it the highest grossing movie ever surpassing Titanic another James Cameron film.

'Avatar' Ends 'Titanic's Reign as Highest Grossing Movie Ever

Peace

• Options
    a 500 plus million dollar movie, on pace to become the biggest movie on all time, thats also anticapitalist, anti-imperialist and anticivilization? Priceless! the movie has an almost vonnegut like opinion of human beings and their valuing of the natural world.
  • Options
    g under p wrote:
    Even with a predictable plot AVATAR surpasses the $2 Billion mark worldwide. Making it the highest grossing movie ever surpassing Titanic another James Cameron film.

Peace

clarification, it passed the WORLDWIDE all time movie list, but still is 50 million away from breaking Titanics u.s. gross of 600 million, so its just the worldwide biggest grossing movie right now.

Obviously its going to break 600 mil this weekend, and who knows, could it hit 700 mil? 750 mil?
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    I finally saw it last Sunday at IMAX in 3-D. Arrived at 11am for an 11:45 showing and the line was already around 100 people. Crazy! Fortunately I bought tickets in advance. Loved the movie! Story was weak in parts, but visually it was amazing. I saw a lot of similarities to other movies, such as Dances with Wolves and Last of the Mohican's. Can't wait for the next two!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    a 500 plus million dollar movie, on pace to become the biggest movie on all time, thats also anticapitalist, anti-imperialist and anticivilization? Priceless! the movie has an almost vonnegut like opinion of human beings and their valuing of the natural world.

Yeah, your first sentence is the thing that cracks me up as well. I sense a little Vonnegut (read every book the man has written) but really it has more of an Edward Abbey influence (my favorite writer). The scene where the Avatar dude attacks the bulldozer is straight out of The Monkey Wrench Gang.

• Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace

clarification, it passed the WORLDWIDE all time movie list, but still is 50 million away from breaking Titanics u.s. gross of 600 million, so its just the worldwide biggest grossing movie right now.

Obviously its going to break 600 mil this weekend, and who knows, could it hit 700 mil? 750 mil?

Isn't that what I said WORLDWIDE?

peace

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I hate the "all time biggest grossing film" statistic, because it has more to do with ticket prices skyrocketing than it has to do with it being a great film.

Here is a list, adjusted for inflation .... in other words, it's based on ticket sales. Avatar hasn't even hit the top 25 yet.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/ad ... r=1&p=.htm
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Plus 3D showings cost more than the average film anyway (well at least in the UK where I am they do).
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD