Options

g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Anybody seen the trailer to this movie, what do you think of it? This is another James Cameron epic film.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,295
    looks awesome
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    Not my cup of tea but it will be huge.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Looks pretty cool to me!! ;):mrgreen:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I can't fucking wait for Avatar, Alice in Wonderland and The Lovely Bones!!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    I remember seeing Sigourney Weaver a year ago on the Tonight Show talking about this movie. She was talking about all of the new technology created just to make this film.

I think the visuals look alright. At some points, it looks like the graphics from a video game. But here's the thing, you can have the greatest special effects, but if the story is lacking or non existent, it won't matter, cause then you basically have the Star Wars prequels. (nice to look at but boring)
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I saw an interview with the lead actor in Avatar and he said it's made for 3D cinemas and to not to even consider judging the graphics unless you're watching it in 3D.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I saw an interview with the lead actor in Avatar and he said it's made for 3D cinemas and to not to even consider judging the graphics unless you're watching it in 3D.

Yeah... and Jazz music is great because it's all about the notes they're not playing. :roll: ;)
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I am hoping for great things. Story-wise, I am excited for it, based on the trailer. But visually, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the Star Wars pre-quels. Too many computer graphics. Not enough reality. I don't mind CGI when it works, but when you can sit there and say "that looks like a video game" then it takes you right out of the movie.

That's what I am afraid of about Avatar. I don't want to sit there and have the graphics take me out of the movie (monkeys in Indiana Jones 4 anyone?).
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    I am hoping for great things. Story-wise, I am excited for it, based on the trailer. But visually, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the Star Wars pre-quels. Too many computer graphics. Not enough reality. I don't mind CGI when it works, but when you can sit there and say "that looks like a video game" then it takes you right out of the movie.

That's what I am afraid of about Avatar. I don't want to sit there and have the graphics take me out of the movie (monkeys in Indiana Jones 4 anyone?).

Like that hideous movie with Gerard Butler in the movie *Gamer* It was a video game

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Cameron strikes again.

I enjoyed the trailer -
    it left me wanting to see some more
    even if most of it was with computers .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,503
    I was looking forward to this until I saw the trailer. I was expecting something more life-like, almost a documentary and didn't realize it was going to be like that Tom Cruise/Unicorn cartoon movie. I think I'll pass. I may see Invictus though.
  • Options
    Has anybody seen it yet?

Peace

• Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Not yet planning to go christmas eve, fingers crossed that it's good :D
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    the trailer made me want to stay away. to gamish and predictable was my impression

but....it appears to be getting very good reviews
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    I didn't know this is James Cameron first movie since TITANIC! I might try and see it tonight before the DC Metro area is shutdown with 18 inches of snow starting @ midnight. :shock:

Peace

• Options
  • Options
    jecicajecica Posts: 954
    Flagg wrote:

I would watch this, something makes me feel this could be different. For example, Polar Express creeps me out, but I think they captured the facial expressions perfectly in Avatar.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/110975/making-a-scene-avatar
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • Options
    Saw the movie. It was really good but some are not gonna like it because it was really long!
    jecica wrote:
    For example, Polar Express creeps me out

you seem like a sweetheart so no offense meant but your avatar has always creeped me out for some reason. :lol:
  • Options
    I decided to go and I'm sitting the theatre waiting to see it in 3d. It's a packed house with a buzz for the movie, We shall see how good it is. One thing for sure the prices for a movies these days compares to what it cost for date.

Peace

• Options
    I'm seeing it tomorrow with my two good friends I'm stoked it looks so cool =D
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    Man I saw the movie and it is AWESOME. You MUST see for the first time in 3D, my daughter gave it a 11 out of 10. It's well worth the money in 3D the packed house ALL clapped after the movie. You will love the Avatar people or whatever they are, they rip Star Wars characters to shreds.

Peace

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    Man I saw the movie and it is AWESOME. You MUST see for the first time in 3D, my daughter gave it a 11 out of 10. It's well worth the money in 3D the packed house ALL clapped after the movie. You will love the Avatar people or whatever they are, they rip Star Wars characters to shreds.

Peace

Hm i was thinking of seeing it in 3D but im worried id get nausea from it lol
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    I saw it yesterday in 3D and that was awesome.
    The story has been seen many times in this kind of movie but this is an amazing visual experience. If you want to see it, it's worth to put some extra money for a 3D experience.
  • Options
    jecicajecica Posts: 954
    Saw the movie. It was really good but some are not gonna like it because it was really long!
    jecica wrote:
    For example, Polar Express creeps me out

you seem like a sweetheart so no offense meant but your avatar has always creeped me out for some reason. :lol:

I agree the polar express movie is good, but their expressionless faces creep me out. Avatar will be different that was my point.

Did you have a bad experience with a muppet? :D
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    hmmm, daughter loved it....how old is the kiddoo.....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    hmmm, daughter loved it....how old is the kiddoo.....

She's 13 and a Star Wars buff and wnats to see again! Well I'll see one more time but somebody else will annty up the cash though. She said the Avatar people were so original, and seemed so real. Anyway time to shovel snow out the driveway better to shovel 12 inches than 24inces.

Peace

• Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I want to see this movie :thumbup: looks awesome!!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    PJPJ Posts: 282
    I loved the movie, It blew my mind in 3D. Its like a 2 hour ride at Disney. The environment was unreal!!
    2006-06-01 E. Rutherford 1
    2008-06-24 NYC: MSG 1
    2008-06-25 NYC: MSG 2
  • Options
    gearboygearboy Posts: 349
    visually, probably the best movie I've ever seen.
    The story was just ok. I give it a B
    IT'S NO CRIME TO ESCAPE!!!!!!!!!
    03/22/94, 01/14/95, 09/24/96, 08/25/98, 08/26/98, 08/31/98, 09/01/98, 09/22/98, 09/23/98, 08/09/00, 08/10/00, 08/12/00, 08/20/00, 08/21/00, 04/11/03, 04/13/03, 07/08/03, 07/09/03, 09/28/04, 09/29/04, 10/06/04, 10/08/04, 09/28/05, 05/20/06, 05/03/10, 05/04/10, 05/10/10
  • Options
    OOooo really looking forward to it now, G under P my son is just about to turn 13 so it was good to hear your daughter liked it. He loves sci-fi stuff (fortunately for me), my hubby isn't so fussed but really likes things that are visually impressive so it should suit all of us. :D