How many people got the Swine flu in Philly?

Comments

• slingsling Posts: 169
    Maybe we can get the guys to play a benefit concert for survivors of P1J1... :)
  • I was diagnosed with the Swine this past Tuesday morning. Seeing as how the final show ended early Sunday morning, and usually it takes 3-6 hours for it take effect, I'm guessing I didn't get it in Philly, although it was my initial guess.

But let me tell you all, this mother fucker is bad ass and it is kickin my butt.
    Borgata II, Philly 05, ER 1 06, ER 2 06, Camden I 08, MSG I 08, MSG II 08, Mansfield II 08, EV 1 NYC, EV NJPAC

Hard To Imagine
  • EvolverEvolver Posts: 525
    Just got back from the doctor, and it does appear that I have H1N1 from Philly 4! Today was my 4th missed day of work, and unless I see an incredible overnight turnaround, I'll be out tomorrow too.

I did learn one extremely interesting thing from my doc when I asked him why he was so confident this was H1N1 and not the standard seasonal flu. He said that his practice has been carefully monitoring this fall's flu outbreak, with the help of testing from Quest Diagnostics and continuous info being received from the CDC...and apparently, they have yet to see the seasonal flu strain in any of their patients, or (I take it) from anywhere else in our area. Funny how you don't see that on the news or anything. Of course it would freak a lot of people out, when in reality this is just a bad flu that just hits you hard, runs its course (which is a little longer than the standard flu), and eventually you're fine (minus a cough that they say I'll probably have for a month).
  • That's correct, Evolver. In many areas, they are not even testing for H1N1, as it is too early in the season for regular flu.

The earlier poster who said that the nasty cold many of us have is swine flu probably is correct. Those of us who were alive during the swine flu outbreak in the 70s have partial immunity to the current swine flu, which is why officials are so concerned about children and young adults. My son (13) had three days of very high fever. My husband got sick Monday afternoon, had a moderate fever, cough, etc., as did I. We think our younger son actually had the flu several weeks ago; I say "we think" because he is not getting sick now, but he does have a lingering cough and fatigue.

The incubation period is thought to be 1-4 days. I am sure that the rain, drinking, smoking, late nights and extremely crowded concourses exacerbated the problem.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Lsk6453Lsk6453 Posts: 554
    I have been sick since I got home as well.. Not sure it is the flu though...

We'll see.
    Shows attended: 39

7/5/98 Dallas, 10/17/00 Dallas, 4/30/03 Uniondale, 7/8/03 MSG 1, 7/9/03 MSG 2, 9/28/04 Boston 1, 9/29/04 Boston 2, 10/03/05 Philly, 4/15/06 SNL, 5/5/06 Irving Plaza, 5/13/06 Hartford, 6/1/06 NJ 1, 6/3/06 NJ 2, 6/20/08 Camden, 6/27/08 Hartford, 7/1/08 The Beacon, 10/27/09 Philly, 10/28/09 Philly, 10/30/09 Philly, 10/31/09 Philly, 5/20/10 MSG, 5/21/10 MSG, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13, Brooklyn, 10/25/13 Hartford, 11/15/13 Dallas, 10/12/14 Austin 2, 5/1/16 MSG 1, 5/2/16 MSG 2, 8/5/15 Fenway 1, 4/7/17 RRHOF Induction, 8/8/18 Seattle 1, 8/10/18 Seattle  2, 9/2/18 Fenway 1, 9/13/23 Ft. Worth 1, 9/15/23 Ft. Worth 2, 5/16/24 Vegas 1, 5/18/24 Vegas 2, 9/17/24 Fenway 2
  • It hit me Sunday night on my long flight home. I haven't stayed home yet, but felt like shit last night when the cough set in yesterday. I thought it was just a cold too, but when I started coughing up foreign objects last night, I decided I better go to the doctor today. So, I am stopping by on my way home...we shall see. :twisted:
  • mikepmikep Posts: 290
    81 wrote:
    JaneNY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    i've had a sore throat, which i attribute to yellling and singing, however, i think something else is on it's way.

i've been to plenty of concerts and never had a sore throat for a 4 days (and counting) afterwards. i figure by the weekend, i'm going to be full blown sick.

friggen philly.

Start popping the Vitamin C, D-3 and Echinacea. These are good for fighting illness and boosting immunity. I brought D-3 and C along with me to Philly and took them every day. I had felt like I was coming down with something but I think I headed it off as I'm fine now.

i've been taking that airborne stuff.

we'll see how things go

the airborne product has been dubunked as fraud i believe - pretty sure i saw it on cnn etc last year. Though it's just a vit c /echinacea etc product.

Vit C has poor evidence for preventing colds. Most benefit was seen with chronic dosing in people who got lots of colds per year, and not for the occasional cold getter. And the benefit was like, 1 cold less per yr or something small. It's a factor in the immune system indeed, but hasn't been shown to boost immune funtion as far as i've seen. and taking mega doses is literally urinating your money away as it's readily eliminated through the urine when taken in excess. i wouldnt go more than 500mg per day, which is already like 4-5x more than typical requirment.

echinacea and ginseng seem to have a little more consistent (though not overwhelming) evidence for boosting immune function based on some lab studies and some clinical trials. Most well designed studies didn't show a huge benefit in cold reduction etc as well unfortunately, though you might fix up a day quicker or so.

ultimately these are fairly safe products though so there isn't too much to worry about other than wasting money (and you'll notice lots of combo cold/flu products with the magical claims are just simple ingredients that u can get in an orange etc but are super expensive - if it's so expensive it must work right???).

That being said, ginseng and echinacea can potentially interact with blood pressure/bp meds, and heavy duty blood thinners. So shouldnt' be taken if you have complex stuff going on. For most of us this doesn't apply thankfully, but our parents etc might need to be careful and marketing will often imply 'herbal' or 'natural' products are somehow impervious to negative consequences (if u don't read the fine print - though labelling regulations vary across the continent im sure).

anyways, lastly, just a reminder of a cool thing we discussed once philosophically. Basically when a person gets sick, there are only two ultimate results that will come of it.
    1) you die
    2) you survive
    So, most people survive most things. So it's important to realize that you might be surviving b/c your immune system took care of things. Sure, supplements and meds etc will help at times, but there's a lot of BS marketing out there designed to scare you and make you buy the magic product, especially with colds...b/c there's not much to do about them other than taking stuff to make your day go by easier (symptom relief).

ahhh ok done longwinded post, lol.
    96-11-Tor; 03-Mont; 05,13-London;05-Kitchnr, Hamltn; 06-Deroit;08-Mont(EV); 09-Albany(EV), Philly3&4; 10,13-Buff;10-NYC, Mt View; 11-(EV) Boston,Hart,Det,PJ20,Ott,Hamltn,Winnpg,Sask,Cal,Edmntn,Van; 12-Missoula; 13-Wrigley,Pitts,Port,Spok,Cal,Van,Sea.
  • so, if one DOES have swine flu and doesn't get treated for it, what happens?? Does it just get spread easier?
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • I am very sick. I came down with it on Tuesday morning. I hope it's not the Swine Flu. I had a regular flu shot back in the beginning of October...Hopefully I just have a bad cold. :?
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • I'm worried since Dirty Little Tom has been coughing all week and went right to bed after school - no music, video games, or food. Looks like we'll be at the drs. in the am. Thanks for the info shared.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• EvolverEvolver Posts: 525
    so, if one DOES have swine flu and doesn't get treated for it, what happens?? Does it just get spread easier?

Well there really is no treatment for H1N1 (since it is a virus) so all you can do is treat the symptoms (cough/congestion meds; ibuprofen, etc for aches & fever). As my doc said, they typically have seen this virus running its course in about a weeks time, with the cough often lasting 3-4 weeks (though during the long duration of the cough, you'll feel perfectly fine, other than having a cough).

As for the spreading of the virus, I don't think it really matters one way or another, since again there is no treatment. The BEST thing one can do is NOT to go to work or school while infected. In fact from what I've read (based new findings that came out on H1N1 this fall), when one has this virus they are contagious from 1 day before showing symptoms to about 5-7 days afterward, which is a longer shedding period than that of the typical seasonal flu. So, staying home is the best thing to do...you REALLY don't wanna be that guy/gal who brings this nasty mofo into your place of business for others to get sick, cuz' I know I can't stand it when others do it!
  • well, my sore throat has turned into a full blown head cold..ugh!
    plus I feel like I may be developing an earache in my left ear
    left work early Tuesday and have been out the past 2 days...probably not going in tomorrow either

Here's hoping we all feel better soon!
  • crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,380
    Well, I am feeling good enough after being down for the count for two + days. I plan on going to work tomorrow morning

P1j1
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Bad cold and cough this week. Feel like the Vicks VapoRub poster child. Glad I've just one more day of work before a Saturday free. Get well soon everyone !!!
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    thanks you F'ers!!!! :D

Fever last night, called into sick work today.... got out of bed at 2 PM and laid on couch playing xbox ;)
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • thanks you F'ers!!!! :D

Fever last night, called into sick work today.... got out of bed at 2 PM and laid on couch playing xbox ;)
    Hope you put a little vicks on it, bad I know. The lil dirt even turned down ice cream so I know he's sick. Take care and be sure to shock the monkey twice a day until better.:-D
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• mikepmikep Posts: 290
    Evolver wrote:
    so, if one DOES have swine flu and doesn't get treated for it, what happens?? Does it just get spread easier?

Well there really is no treatment for H1N1 (since it is a virus) so all you can do is treat the symptoms (cough/congestion meds; ibuprofen, etc for aches & fever).

That is not quite correct. There are two drugs on the market that are effective against H1N1. Tamiflu, and Relenza (not sure if it's called the same thing in the US). They are both antivirals that will speed up the resolution of the infection by 1-2 days and probably decrease symptoms a bit too. I imagine it would slightly decrease transmission potential too. In Ontario, government stockpiles of Tamiflu have been released and will be covered by the government for Ontarians who have it prescribed for them (yay government involvement in health care). Ralenza is being held at the moment as a backup option in case significant resistance to Tamiflu develops.

Normally, the use of these antivirals is limited to hospitals and long-term care settings for high risk populations if the circulating virus is suseptible to the said antivirals.

But this year b/c h1n1 is a novel virus with almost no inherent immunity in the population and great potential to cause lots of probs (sickness, loss of work time, younger people dying more than usual etc), they are ''givin'r'' with the antivirals more.

i still feel crappy 4-5d in now but i think i might finally be on the upswing. and yes as someone mentioned, tamiflu is only of benefit if given within the first 48hrs of symptoms.
    96-11-Tor; 03-Mont; 05,13-London;05-Kitchnr, Hamltn; 06-Deroit;08-Mont(EV); 09-Albany(EV), Philly3&4; 10,13-Buff;10-NYC, Mt View; 11-(EV) Boston,Hart,Det,PJ20,Ott,Hamltn,Winnpg,Sask,Cal,Edmntn,Van; 12-Missoula; 13-Wrigley,Pitts,Port,Spok,Cal,Van,Sea.
  • yep, fever and cough as soon as I got back from Philly. not swine flu tho, just annoying as all hell. can't get rid of the cough.

oh well, it was totally worth it!
  • sling wrote:
    Maybe we can get the guys to play a benefit concert for survivors of P1J1... :)

ha, i like it!
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Swine Flu....I'm an idiot. I could have stayed in Philly and caught the Eagles game if I would have thought of that earlier. But between us jammers...I feel fine ;)
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • i've been sick for days...dont know if its swine flu or not, and I think I've about licked it...totally worth it!
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• So, here is the deal from my Dr...

I started Sunday night with a sore throat, then Monday turned into a bad head cold by Wednesday, tightness in my chest and coughing, wheezing, then started coughing up crap. I have been running a little fever...100.8. BAD headache and ringing ears the entire time and just TIRED as fuck, but have been working. I have an office and I just kept the door shut and told everyone to stay away.

So, Dr. says I have all the pig flu symptoms, except my fever is lower. The issue is what you get after that will need to be treated. I have a secondary bacteria infections...bronchitis and a sinus infection. He said you REALLY have to be careful with this stuff, as it can go to your lungs and get nasty.

Then, he said if I do not see improvements by Saturday, I have to come back in for blood work to confirm H1N1 and then be treated differently. Someone else said there was not a treatment on here...so I have no clue.

Anyway...if you have a nasty cough you will most likely need to be on antibiotics.
  • thanks you F'ers!!!! :D

No Evil one...thank YOU. Who was the one passing around that ginormous beer bottle in G2 on Sat night??? LOL

I've had a cold all week too. Started halfway through my FIRST day at my new job! lol (Mon). I suspect mine was from standing in the rain after Fridays show freezing my ass off, and lack of sleep.
    Or those fuckers at Pats put something in the Cheese-Wiz lol since most of us were there on Friday night.

Those two shows were DAMN worth it tho!!!
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687

No Evil one...thank YOU. Who was the one passing around that ginormous beer bottle in G2 on Sat night??? LOL

31H7dfomRfL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i just keep sliding further and further into dark sickness that is known as Philly flu.

started with the sore throat, then a little nasal congestion....now the little pills are becoming useless agaist it. starting to sneeze more and cough more.

yep, i'll be spending the weekend in bed watching football and sleeping.

some host Philly was. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BFLBFL Posts: 21
    If you've got a nagging cough and a fever, get checked out. I thought I'd picked up a chest cold earlier this week and then landed at the doctor yesterday when every cough made my chest feel like it was going to shatter and my temp was 102. A couple of chest x-rays later and I'm now home with pneumonia. Aaah, the Spectrum, it just keeps on giving.
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,114
    I gave in. After suffering at work 4 days and getting progressively worse, I am home in bed and have a dr apt today in the late pm. its the first they could get me in...

and good timing on my part....this week in NJ the schools are closed and its like Lord of the Flies in my house right now so me getting any rest is a negative.
  • Get well people, only thing I had was a headache but that I think was due to the lack of sleep and airplane flight home. I have yet to wear jeans but I have put away my Birks for the year. :)

Getting sick sucks so I do wish you all the best and make sure to have some hot soup and some OJ.

Have a great weekend.
  • I went to the doctor's yesterday. I think I got sick from my trip to Philly, but I did not get the flu (swine or otherwise). It's something viral, but the doc's don't know quite what.

So worth it, though.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Wow, so this is what has kicked the crap out of me since Monday night.. :shock:

Jw