124»

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    lukin2006 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    iOs 6 is out for those scoring at home.

downloading now for wife's iPad and my 4s

very slow download right now...

Yeah it is a slow download. I'm sure there's a shitload of people doing it which must have an effect.
    SO far I don't see anything all that different. :?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    DS1119 wrote:
    I read that the new OS kills off Google Maps. True?
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Jason P wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

ya ... youtube and maps (which is powered by google now) are gone ... they replaced the maps app tho i think ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

ya ... youtube and maps (which is powered by google now) are gone ... they replaced the maps app tho i think ...

Yes correct. Apple is pretty much trying to eliminate anything Google. :lol:
    I guess I won't be doing the update.
    DS1119 wrote:

i am getting away from google as well ... sucks changing email addresses but i really have a disdain and mistrust for google these days ...
    Jason P wrote:
    I guess I won't be doing the update.

The google stuff is still in the app store. I can understand wanting to eliminate the native type stuff on the phone. Why promote your competition. Smart.
    polaris_x wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

i am getting away from google as well ... sucks changing email addresses but i really have a disdain and mistrust for google these days ...

They are quite intrusive I would say.
  • It took about an hour to complete the new update. I'm not a fan of the new layout of iTunes and the App Store, it will probably take a while to get use to it. The new maps seem cool with the 3D view, and supposedly Siri now knows sports.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
    It took about an hour to complete the new update. I'm not a fan of the new layout of iTunes and the App Store, it will probably take a while to get use to it. The new maps seem cool with the 3D view, and supposedly Siri now knows sports.

I'm still on an iPhone 4. I don;t think I have the 3D maps. Or I just can't find it. :lol:
  • DS1119 wrote:
    It took about an hour to complete the new update. I'm not a fan of the new layout of iTunes and the App Store, it will probably take a while to get use to it. The new maps seem cool with the 3D view, and supposedly Siri now knows sports.

I'm still on an iPhone 4. I don;t think I have the 3D maps. Or I just can't find it. :lol:
    I think it is only on the 4s and 5's. It would be at the bottom left if you had it.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
    DS1119 wrote:

I think it is only on the 4s and 5's. It would be at the bottom left if you had it.

Yeah. All I have is the arrow to find my location on the map. Just another reason for me to get the new phone. :fp: :lol:
    polaris_x wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

What about Apple? You don't beat the oil giants without corruption, price gouging, and creating a monopoly.
    Jason P wrote:
    What about Apple? You don't beat the oil giants without corruption, price gouging, and creating a monopoly.

you're totally right ... i mean it really becomes a choice between evils ... i may be delusional with apple but i know it can't be worse than google ... it just bugs the shit out of me that google tracks everything you do ... if i login to my email on a browser and then launch youtube - it automatically signs me in ... i don't want them to know that i am watching old 80's music videos ... :lol: ... and the whole thing with the android phones and stuff ... at least with apple security - they ask like generic security questions ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

you're totally right ... i mean it really becomes a choice between evils ... i may be delusional with apple but i know it can't be worse than google ... it just bugs the shit out of me that google tracks everything you do ... if i login to my email on a browser and then launch youtube - it automatically signs me in ... i don't want them to know that i am watching old 80's music videos ... :lol: ... and the whole thing with the android phones and stuff ... at least with apple security - they ask like generic security questions ...

It's definately the lesser of two evils. :lol:
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Jason P wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

How is Apple any of that? A monopoly? There are plenty of other computer manufacturers, smart phone makers, tablet makers, operating systems on the market. Price gouging. How? Corruption? what corruption has taken place at Apple?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    If people don't like Apple or Google then there are other choices.

From my own personal experience...my wife's Apple desktop is going on 7 years old and have never had a moment trouble with and has outlasted and been trouble free longer than any PC I've owned.

What gives Apple the edge for me...
    - is that their customer service is awesome
    - their products are aesthetically pleasing
    - i like are they've built an infrastructure around iCloud and seems to work seamlessly
    - absolutely love photo stream and especially going to find the new shared photo stream extremely useful
    - passbook app has potential to be real big or a dud, I think it all depends on if the retailers and other merchants take advantage of it.
    - the maps is not as good as google was, but google has been doing maps for years and apple is in its infancy. Google will release a stand alone map app.

Are there products pricey? Yes. People have choices.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 wrote:

From my own personal experience...my wife's Apple desktop is going on 7 years old and have never had a moment trouble with and has outlasted and been trouble free longer than any PC I've owned.

- i like are they've built an infrastructure around iCloud and seems to work seamlessly
    - absolutely love photo stream and especially going to find the new shared photo stream extremely useful
    - passbook app has potential to be real big or a dud, I think it all depends on if the retailers and other merchants take advantage of it.
    - the maps is not as good as google was, but google has been doing maps for years and apple is in its infancy. Google will release a stand alone map app.

this discussion/choice is a matter of ethics moreso than features and functionality ... i basically do not like how intrusive google is ... the fact they want my phone number as a measure of security is blatantly intrusive and has nothing to do with security ...

it comes down to how nefarious each company is with the data they are privy to ... as of now - i believe apple to be less nefarious than google ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

this discussion/choice is a matter of ethics moreso than features and functionality ... i basically do not like how intrusive google is ... the fact they want my phone number as a measure of security is blatantly intrusive and has nothing to do with security ...

it comes down to how nefarious each company is with the data they are privy to ... as of now - i believe apple to be less nefarious than google ...

I agree. I can see having ethical issue with google...not really sure apple is doing anything unethical toward their customers...its not to say their not.

My point more or less was that their are plenty of choices besides those 2.

As far as email goes...I am not a huge user of email...but I've always maintained if you don't want others to see my email besides the intended recipient then its best for me to find another form of communication.

I definitely get what your saying about privacy.

lukin2006 wrote:
    I agree. I can see having ethical issue with google...not really sure apple is doing anything unethical toward their customers...its not to say their not.

As far as email goes...I am not a huge user of email...but I've always maintained if you don't want others to see my email besides the intended recipient then its best for me to find another form of communication.

ya ... we can never tell with these companies ...

my thing with email isn't so much what is being said ... it's more the fact google connects your searches with your email and even tho you opt out of ad preferences - you still get ads that so happen to coincide with your searches ... it's so bad now that i use bing as my search engine ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

my thing with email isn't so much what is being said ... it's more the fact google connects your searches with your email and even tho you opt out of ad preferences - you still get ads that so happen to coincide with your searches ... it's so bad now that i use bing as my search engine ...

doesn't google save all yours searches which can be linked to your IP address? does bing do that?

lukin2006 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

doesn't google save all yours searches which can be linked to your IP address? does bing do that?

Yes and not sure about Bing. Maybe I should google it? :lol:
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I love that I get a solid 8 hours of battery time (longer if in standby) out of my MacBook Pro and I don't have to charge my iPad for days.
    What I always find funny with Apple products ,that I've at least seen, is people either love or hate them.

What gets me though, is the people that knock Apple for making products in China...while they're talking on their phone made in China. :fp: :lol:
    In 2001, if you would have taken the $400 you spent on the first iPod and bought Apple stock instead, it would be worth $26,374 today.

:fp: :fp: :fp: