iPhone or iPod touch apps

smg97791smg97791 Posts: 151
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So, my wife and I finally sold out and got iPhones. Well, I've spent the last 2 days or so browsing the iTunes app store and I wanted to see what apps everyone else is using and what the must have apps are. here's what I got so far:

ESPN ScoreCenter
Facebook
ESPN radio - can stream ESPN radio from affiliates all over the country, awesome!
Public Radio - can stream NPR from affiliates all over the country. Has about a 10-15 second delay.
Wikipanion
Dictionary.com
Bastion (game, download if you like Rampart)
geoDefense (game, tower defense, freaking awesome!)

Thats it so far.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 37pheet37pheet Posts: 433
    yo pm me i will hook u up!!!! no doubt!!!!
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I tried ESPN ScoreCenter and didn't like it nearly as much as Sportacular and SportsTap. I love the push game notifications from those apps. I believe all of these are free except GPush.

Here are a few of my other faves:
    The Weather Channel - Alerts and Animated Radar
    Facebook
    Echofon - Twitter app
    GPush - Pushes Gmail notifications
    Flashlight
    AroundMe - tells you about stores, gas stations, etc. that are near you
    Slacker Radio
    Urbanspoon
    Flixter - movie listings
    iheartradio - stream radio stations from all over the country
    Cardstar - keeps your Kroger, Bank, Gym, Library, Blockbuster, etc. bar codes so you don't need the cards
    Shazam - identifies music
    JamBase - Concerts in your area
    Joost - streaming TV
    Free Wi-Fi finder
    iWrecked - what to do if you have a car wreck
    Sleepmaker - ambient noise for sleeping
    iDriveLite - back up all your contacts online
    Trapster - info on speed traps you might be approaching

I'm not much into games.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    jailbreak your mutha fuckin phone if u need help or have no clue pm me. i will hook up.
    i have, all FREE MIND YOU I DIDNT PAY 4 ANYTHING!!! tweetie 1 and 2, you r here, bust a move, super ko boxing, chef, all recipes, real futbol2010, detox, skeeball, i fishing fresh and saltwater, usa today. mr. aahh, camera genius, gps kit, tom tom, discovery, yowza, goodrec, poof, mover, zen bound, espn radio, last.fm, pandora, , open table, orbital, where, flight of the hamsters, peggle, flick bowling and fishing, tmz, sportacular, rolando 2, facebook, orb, mlb at bat, weatherbug elite. all free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! plus more stuff that i didnt bother to list. tom tom is a $100 app i got it for free and the gps kit is a $30 app also got it for free. let me know if u want free stuff. if not research u will find how to do it. IF THERE IS A WILLL THERE IS A WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    OK, I don't have a jailbroken iPhone because I am not techy and have no idea how to do that stuff. But my fav apps are:

Maps
    WeatherBug
    Google Earth
    Google Mobile
    Traffic!
    DallasNews
    ScoreCenter
    Sportacular
    Grocery IQ
    Pocket Tanks
    Urban Spoon
    To Do's
    eBay
    TWC
    Shazam
    Camera Genius
    FStream
    Discovery
    MLB At Bat
    Flight Control
    Convertbot
    PayPal
    Restaurants
    Chipotle
    Yelp
    Starbucks
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    EA Sports Tetris, FTW.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I'm on my iPhone now bought one less than a week ago cause I broke my other phone at a u2 concert. I don' t like any games and every aps has to be free.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• I won't repeat the apps already mentioned, just add to the list.

Dropbox
    ColorSplash
    Accuweather
    Cocktail Compass
    iLike Concerts
    Fandango
    Quick Tip
    Google Voice
    Ski Report
    Bump
    BeerPong
    Flight Control
    Zynga Poker
    Yahoo Fantasy Football
    Lose It
    Weber On the Grill
    Mixology
    Snaptell
    Trapster
    Phone flicks
    Huffington post
    Lose It
    Text +
    NERDS!
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    What kind of apps are you looking for? I only have an iPod touch, so some of the good apps wouldn't work well for me, but here are some of the ones I have and like the best:

Grocery Gadget
    Toodledo
    AppBox Pro
    Facebook
    mSecure
    AllRecipes
    Earthbook
    Google Earth
    UrbanSpoon
    Art
    Classics
    Great Books
    USA Manual
    PS (PhotoSafe)
    Bump
    Yahtzee
    Life Timer
    Docs to Go
    Whiteboard
    Travelocity
    Photogene
    Occassions
    PubMed on Tap
    Ambiance
    CNN
    Daily Tracker
    Epocrates
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    So what's the best I-phone model to get? I'm out of the loop on this thing. Are iphone's worth having? How much is a good one?
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    So what's the best I-phone model to get? I'm out of the loop on this thing. Are iphone's worth having? How much is a good one?
    The 32g 3GS

I've played with many gadgets over my lifetime. The iphone may be the easiest most useful thing I've ever used.
    NERDS!
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Byrnzie wrote:
    The 32g 3GS

I've played with many gadgets over my lifetime. The iphone may be the easiest most useful thing I've ever used.

Cool. I may add it to my X-mas list for Santa :P
  • for music..

Pandora & WOXY radio apps

i think the Pixies channel on Pandora is heaven :)
  • know1 wrote:
    I tried ESPN ScoreCenter and didn't like it nearly as much as Sportacular and SportsTap. I love the push game notifications from those apps. I believe all of these are free except GPush.

Here are a few of my other faves:
    The Weather Channel - Alerts and Animated Radar
    Facebook
    Echofon - Twitter app
    GPush - Pushes Gmail notifications
    Flashlight
    AroundMe - tells you about stores, gas stations, etc. that are near you
    Slacker Radio
    Urbanspoon
    Flixter - movie listings
    iheartradio - stream radio stations from all over the country
    Cardstar - keeps your Kroger, Bank, Gym, Library, Blockbuster, etc. bar codes so you don't need the cards
    Shazam - identifies music
    JamBase - Concerts in your area
    Joost - streaming TV
    Free Wi-Fi finder
    iWrecked - what to do if you have a car wreck
    Sleepmaker - ambient noise for sleeping
    iDriveLite - back up all your contacts online
    Trapster - info on speed traps you might be approaching

I'm not much into games.

Just added Cardstar, iwrecked, & Sportacular :clap:
    NERDS!
  • Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    Perfect Balance Harmony - great puzzle game that makes time just dissappear (sp?)
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • smg97791 wrote:
    So, my wife and I finally sold out and got iPhones. Well, I've spent the last 2 days or so browsing the iTunes app store and I wanted to see what apps everyone else is using and what the must have apps are. here's what I got so far:

ESPN ScoreCenter
    Facebook
    ESPN radio - can stream ESPN radio from affiliates all over the country, awesome!
    Public Radio - can stream NPR from affiliates all over the country. Has about a 10-15 second delay.
    Wikipanion
    Dictionary.com
    Bastion (game, download if you like Rampart)
    geoDefense (game, tower defense, freaking awesome!)

Thats it so far.

My daughter loves the spongebob tickler, the zippo lighter and super monkey ball. :lol:
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    try the Where the Wild Things Are app. pretty fun.

i love my iphone.
  • here's a fun article on the 10 most useless apps...

http://tech.msn.com/products/slideshow. ... &GT1=40000
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    Just got the iPhone. Very cool and fast. I want to get the most out of this phone unlike phones in the past. I wish apple would make a iPhone printer. Just plug the iPhone into a printer. I would never buy another computer. I see some crazy apps, tracking cellphone apps. Anybody use those to track gf, bf, or son or daughter? Creepy
    I'll be back
  • StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    I have a lot of apps, but only a handful synced to my 32GB iPhone 3GS:

Amazon.com
    Backgrounds (browse pictures you can use as backgrounds)
    Bump (Contact info exchange)
    Constitution (very handy for those A Moving Train threads)
    Cube Runner (racing game)
    DISH Network (account info, control your DVR remotely)
    Easy Wi-Fi (Simplifies connection to AT&T Hotspots)
    Echofon (Twitter app)
    Facebook
    Fake Calls/FC (makes a fake call to allow you to escape a bad date lol)
    Flashlight
    Google Earth
    Huffington Post
    iBART (BART train schedules)
    iHandy Level (carpenter's level)
    Labyrinth LE (game)
    Last.fm
    Lightsaber (for the wannabe Jedi)
    Local Concerts
    (Rachel) Maddow
    (AT&T)Marks the Spot (reports dead spots or dropped calls)
    (Starbucks) Mobile Card (manages your Starbucks cards)
    (AT&T) myWireless Account
    SIRIUS/XM Online
    Pandora Radio
    Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
    Pearl Jam (of course)
    Remote (Controls your iTunes over Wi-Fi)
    (AAA) Roadside
    Shazam (ID's music by "listening" to a sample)
    Translator
    YouMail (voicemail replacement)

Anyway, I've never jailbroken my iPhones, nor do I ever plan to. There's way, way, more than enough free (and cheap) apps on the iTunes App Store to keep me happy, and I prefer officially supported firmware, since you run the risk of voiding your warranty on a jailbreak if it goes bad.
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,341
    I'm looking forward to trying out Trapster in my new G37!

Some good apps not mentioned thus far:
    Games: Skee-Ball, FSS Hockey (air hockey), Ms PacMan, Wurdle, The Price Is Right, 3 Hand 21
    Others: BeerCloud, PA Traffic (cameras), Open Table, Around Me

MLB At Bat is great for baseball fans! None of the other leagues has anything like it.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Should have waited and got the iPhone on Verizon. Sounds like it's going to happen very soon.

Sorry, AT&T sucks ass.
  • StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    mca47 wrote:
    Should have waited and got the iPhone on Verizon. Sounds like it's going to happen very soon.

Sorry, AT&T sucks ass.

I despise Verizon with a passion, yet I'm REALLY hoping they get the iPhone. Then when all their subscribers in NY and SF start getting dropped calls and bandwidth congestion too, we'll see how those stupid map commercials play out. :lol:
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    edited March 2010
    I don't ever want to know life with out pocket tunes radio. Sirius all day including Howard
    Post edited by LloydXmas on
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Just got the iPhone. Very cool and fast. I want to get the most out of this phone unlike phones in the past. I wish apple would make a iPhone printer. Just plug the iPhone into a printer. I would never buy another computer. I see some crazy apps, tracking cellphone apps. Anybody use those to track gf, bf, or son or daughter? Creepy
    HP Has an app for their network printer. Looks pretty cool
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Posts: 1,829
    The Onion app will be released on 4/5
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
    mca47 wrote:

Sorry, AT&T sucks ass.

I think that greatly depends on where you are. Here in Dallas AT&T is far and away the best service. I would never want my iPhone on Verizon.

But I'll be glad when that choice is available so people can bail if they aren't happy.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Starfall mentioned the Dish app. I just got that one recently. First of all, controlling your DVR from your phone is bad ass enough, but how crazy is it that your phone can be your remote control?

So I can bring up the remote on my phone, press pause and a signal goes out from the phone to the cell tower to wherever and eventually to the satellite dish and back to my house to pause my TV. In a split second. I don't know why but that amazes me!

It is also fun to be in another room knowing your kids are watching something and then change the channel on them. Cheap laughs!

My other new favorite app is Words With Friends Free. Scrabble anyone?!
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Byrnzie wrote:

Be sure to look into how much the support plan will cost you each month. As far as I know, the unlimited voice/data plan is $99 per month with texting an additional $20 per month for a total of $119 monthly.

If these numbers are accurate, is this device truly worth the $1,428 per year it will cost just to use it? Can anyone help me out with understanding whether the numbers above are correct and whether you really don't mind paying that much annually?
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

Be sure to look into how much the support plan will cost you each month. As far as I know, the unlimited voice/data plan is $99 per month with texting an additional $20 per month for a total of $119 monthly.

If these numbers are accurate, is this device truly worth the $1,428 per year it will cost just to use it? Can anyone help me out with understanding whether the numbers above are correct and whether you really don't mind paying that much annually?

Yeah, in my area it's $300 for the best phone and then monthly fees of $70 for unlimited voice, $20 for unlimited text, and $30 for data (required). So, that's the same as what you said - not including all the taxes and fees. That's a little steep for me, but I'd do it if AT&T had better service.

For one thing, I really love the iPhone. It's absolutely amazing all the things it can do! It's like living in The Jetsons. For another thing, the usage cost is offset somewhat by savings in other areas. Just having a cell phone means you no longer need a land line, so there's a savings of - what? - $40/month right there. You could get away with canceling your internet service too (though I wouldn't want to), so that's another $40/month. Plus, there are little things. I'll never again have to buy a calendar, a calculator, an address book, a walkman or iPod, an alarm clock, a cookbook, a map, or numerous books I would otherwise have purchased. (I don't have an iPhone because I hate AT&T, but I have an iPod touch with most of the same features.) Plus, one might argue that having an iPhone might help you spend less money, with all the budgeting apps available.

Ultimately, I think it would be worth it for me.