finally...switching teams.......

Comments

• know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    know1 wrote:
    have to say that thus far, while the ease of set-up and transferring files went swimmingly, hubby is not *loving* the transition just yet. i think we both just have grown soooo accustomed to doing things a certain way with PC, that the mac is just...different. certain things seemingly more steps involved. and wtf, no right/left click mouse....no right-click than a drop down, etc.....just weird little differences. perhaps we're two old dogs too old to learn new tricks? ;) i hope not, b/c we just made a hefty investment! i haven't played around with it too much yet - haven't had the time - and i do want to really take my time, not get frustrated - and explore. so we shall see...

Yep - that's been my experience as well. It's better in some ways, not so much in others. I think the file management aspects of it are generally more difficult than PC.

As in my post above, I have extensive experience with both and I have made the switch on my personal computer to Linux.

yes, i think that's going to be the case.
    however, the one big plus - and also the biggest impetus for our switiching teams - is the no virus factor. we've had a LOT of issues with our PCs over the years....viruses....hd problems....having to reconfigure or reload a few times over, etc. was a lot of extra work/stress for my husband. every mac owner we've ever spoken to has raved about mac in regards to the 'no issues' factor. however, i guess we definitely expected everything to be easier/better.

and......
    buru!
    hiya my argentinian goddess!
    so good to see you here!
    :mrgreen:

Yep. I'm worried even less about a virus with Linux.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    have to say that thus far, while the ease of set-up and transferring files went swimmingly, hubby is not *loving* the transition just yet. i think we both just have grown soooo accustomed to doing things a certain way with PC, that the mac is just...different. certain things seemingly more steps involved. and wtf, no right/left click mouse....no right-click than a drop down, etc.....just weird little differences. perhaps we're two old dogs too old to learn new tricks? ;) i hope not, b/c we just made a hefty investment! i haven't played around with it too much yet - haven't had the time - and i do want to really take my time, not get frustrated - and explore. so we shall see...

buy a new mouse with 3 buttons...it'll save you from having to learn a whole new way to work
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    norm wrote:

buy a new mouse with 3 buttons...it'll save you from having to learn a whole new way to work

sure, but we just bought a new mouse. :twisted:
    i am going to try and get adjusted before any hasty purchases. :)
    as i've said, yes, i've used it, but i haven't taken much time to really explore. hubby has moreso, but even so, neither one of us has dedicated that much time. so sure, i am up for at least trying to learn a whole new way. keep those synapses firing! :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• i've been snap happy all last week, what with our staycation coupled with christmas decorating.....so our beautiful new imac:

DeskXmas2009.jpg

ComputerroomXmas2009.jpg

Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    F.Y.I., if you go to the Mouse menu in System Preferences, you can configure your mouse to use right click.

Enjoy your Mac, they're great machines. I run Linux on my Laptop and OS X on my desktop and couldn't be happier.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Yielded wrote:
    F.Y.I., if you go to the Mouse menu in System Preferences, you can configure your mouse to use right click.

Enjoy your Mac, they're great machines. I run Linux on my Laptop and OS X on my desktop and couldn't be happier.

thanks for the tip, but actually, my husband already figured that one out. when i first posted about it, it was so new...had no idea. i am sure there are still multitudes of things we will learn about it.

i really know next to nothing about all this stuff, i just know how to use it. :) my husband is very tech-savy, but mac is just a whole new world.

i've heard of linux and OS X...but i'll be honest, idk wtf they really are/do. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Yielded wrote:

thanks for the tip, but actually, my husband already figured that one out. when i first posted about it, it was so new...had no idea. i am sure there are still multitudes of things we will learn about it.

i really know next to nothing about all this stuff, i just know how to use it. :) my husband is very tech-savy, but mac is just a whole new world.

i've heard of linux and OS X...but i'll be honest, idk wtf they really are/do. :mrgreen:

Haha, yeah it's a bit confusing at first but you'll get used to it quickly. I switched from PCs years ago and I honestly cannot imagine going back. I originally switched because I make music and so many studios run Apple but now I can't even tell you how I ever used to run my home recording setup on a PC!

OS X is the operating system on your iMac. Linux is an open source operating system based on the same 'core' as OS X (hope that makes more sense...)
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Yielded wrote:

Haha, yeah it's a bit confusing at first but you'll get used to it quickly. I switched from PCs years ago and I honestly cannot imagine going back. I originally switched because I make music and so many studios run Apple but now I can't even tell you how I ever used to run my home recording setup on a PC!

OS X is the operating system on your iMac. Linux is an open source operating system based on the same 'core' as OS X (hope that makes more sense...)

yea, i think that's what finally tipped the scales to get hubby on board with mac. he is also a musician, i was an art major who always wanted a mac from day one - he saw everyone else on PCs and wanted a PC. now one of the guitarists in his band does a LOT of home-recording, etc, and has always had macs, yada yada. finally convinced him i guess. not that he really has any intentions of doing recordings at home - tho who knows? - it was just enough i think to finally get him to want to switch. the fact that our beloved vaio died, just seemed a now or never possibility.

and while that does make more sense, i still really don't know wtf it all means. :lol:
    but that's ok, i don't think i truly need to....if it ain't broke, ya know? ;)

as an aside, have you used google chrome?
    i had heard about it, and again....really don't know much about this shit, looked into it...but it was not yet available for mac. well, google just sent me an email saying it is now available, so i am curious about it.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Yielded wrote:

yea, i think that's what finally tipped the scales to get hubby on board with mac. he is also a musician, i was an art major who always wanted a mac from day one - he saw everyone else on PCs and wanted a PC. now one of the guitarists in his band does a LOT of home-recording, etc, and has always had macs, yada yada. finally convinced him i guess. not that he really has any intentions of doing recordings at home - tho who knows? - it was just enough i think to finally get him to want to switch. the fact that our beloved vaio died, just seemed a now or never possibility.

and while that does make more sense, i still really don't know wtf it all means. :lol:

i had heard about it, and again....really don't know much about this shit, looked into it...but it was not yet available for mac. well, google just sent me an email saying it is now available, so i am curious about it.

:lol: Yeah, you're right, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

I haven't tried Chrome, Firefox and Safari serve me well enough, so I never felt the need to check it out. From what I've heard, some people seem to love it and others seem to hate it though.
  • Yielded wrote:
    Yielded wrote:

:lol: Yeah, you're right, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

I haven't tried Chrome, Firefox and Safari serve me well enough, so I never felt the need to check it out. From what I've heard, some people seem to love it and others seem to hate it though.

interesting......i'll see if i am daring. :P
    i basically use safari, hubby uses firefox.

ya know what's ridiculous tho?
    i have had an msn email addy for the past 13 years, use it for everything....so even on a mac, i still have msn on there b/c i hate to swtich it up at this point. :? haha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• eh, my husband has decided he hates the apple mouse (even with the right-click enabled) so he ordered one of these:
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_ ... 7&cl=us,en
    :roll:
    eh well.
    hope he's happy!
    :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

eh, my husband has decided he hates the apple mouse (even with the right-click enabled) so he ordered one of these:
    eh well.
    hope he's happy!

Haha, yeah I hated mine for ages. It's just a matter of getting used to it. But oh well, Logitech make good mice. I'm sure he'll be happy with it.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    eh, my husband has decided he hates the apple mouse (even with the right-click enabled) so he ordered one of these:
    eh well.
    hope he's happy!

'bout time :roll: ;) :P :lol:
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited December 2009
    I work in graphic arts and have to use Mac and PC, but just using both on a daily basis, it's obvious what's superior. I'm pretty surprised that as an art major you've been working on a pc, D2D.

And I've only bought mac for the last ten years. Seriously, the only way to go!
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
    eh well.
    hope he's happy!
    And the apple mouse does suck, he's right. These logitechs are the most requested by staff at my job! You can not only scroll up and down, but left to right. Awesome.
  • Jeanwah wrote:
    eh well.
    hope he's happy!

And the apple mouse does suck, he's right. These logitechs are the most requested by staff at my job! You can not only scroll up and down, but left to right. Awesome.

well good to know!
    we've had other logitech mice for our PC.
    i had become adjusted the mac mouse, so i was fine as is, but apparently he wasn't. :?
    it's been shipped so we should receive it soon.
    :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Jeanwah wrote:
    I work in graphic arts and have to use Mac and PC, but just using both on a daily basis, it's obvious what's superior. I'm pretty surprised that as an art major you've been working on a pc, D2D.

same here! congrats on the new computer dream, sorry for the delay in my well wishes, just saw this now :)

i got the 21.5" imac at work (i still pet it every so often, LOVE it!), and a macbook at home, they're the best! the logitech mice are the best for sure, i use em on each computer.
  • Jeanwah wrote:

same here! congrats on the new computer dream, sorry for the delay in my well wishes, just saw this now :)

i got the 21.5" imac at work (i still pet it every so often, LOVE it!), and a macbook at home, they're the best! the logitech mice are the best for sure, i use em on each computer.

another endorsement, awesome! :thumbup:

i am slowly getting more and more comfy, and i have been playing around with my files, photos, arrangements, etc....and it's been good. still lots to learn i'm sure, but it's all been a pleasant learning curve thus far. i often have wished that i had my way from day one and gotten a mac way back when, but then i also think...probably good i didn't. if i only had mac experience, i would be lost/frustrated in my current job on a PC and probably always bitchin' about it. so i guess it all works out...

it's so purdy!
    ComputerroomXmas2009.jpg
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• looks great!!

yeah i had to use a PC when i was starting out at work and a mac at art school and i feel comfortable with both. if i had to choose though....easy peasy :) it's all just so streamlined and easy, no fuss. can't say enough good things!
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Can someone please explain why Macs supposedly don't get viruses?
  • scb wrote:

they just don't. ;)
    seriously, i think it's b/c macs are still so very much the minority, and also 'big business' uses PCS, not macs...so the financial markets, etc, all handled on PC. those who create/spread viruses, want to fuck with big business, not some art or photography studio. :D

i am loving our imac more and more each time i use it.
    we got our new mouse, but it was refurbished and DOA :(...so ordered another, new...so waiting on it's arrival. the new imac....merry christmas to us! 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

scb wrote:

they just don't. ;)
    seriously, i think it's b/c macs are still so very much the minority, and also 'big business' uses PCS, not macs...so the financial markets, etc, all handled on PC. those who create/spread viruses, want to fuck with big business, not some art or photography studio. :D

i am loving our imac more and more each time i use it.
    we got our new mouse, but it was refurbished and DOA :(...so ordered another, new...so waiting on it's arrival. the new imac....merry christmas to us! 8-)

Thanks for the explanation! :)
    scb wrote:
    They can get them...but they not nearly as susceptible to them as PCs are. I can't quite explain it other than perhaps hackers are more PC oriented?? Also, no popups! God, I love that.
    scb wrote:

As said before, Macs and PCs aren't based on the same architecture and the vast majority of viruses out there are written for PCs. Hence, you could have an infected file on a Mac but it wouldn't be affected because it could only run on a PC.
    I'm usually pro-PC & relatively anti-Mac. But I love my Apple iPod Touch so much that I've been reconsidering my position lately.

Now that I've just spent most of my Chistmas Eve dealing with fucking updates on my PC (and still haven't resolved the problem), I'm REALLY reconsidering.
  • TravelarTravelar Posts: 3,393
    Yielded wrote:
    As said before, Macs and PCs aren't based on the same architecture and the vast majority of viruses out there are written for PCs.

Well, this was true until Apple switched to the intel chipset, which is why you can use Bootcamp to install Windows and dual boot. That being said, the core of the OSes are different. OSX is based on BSD, which is a Unix variant, while Windows is Windows. And yes, the majority of viruses are written for Windows; however, as Apple takes a larger market share, expect that to change.

FWIW, there was an technical advisory on Apple's site recommending that you install anti-virus on your Mac. After being pointed out on several large tech sites, they pulled article. Don't know if they were afraid of the publicity or afraid the competitors may use it against them.
  • OMG!!! Just got an Imac yesterday and I am LOVING IT!!! So much easier to use and such a pleasure when it does not blow up every 15 minutes :D
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • congrats to everyone who went apple! d2d the imac looks so nice!! I'm loving my new 15" macbookpro more and more everyday, my first macbook was a total dud, but this computer is a beauty! :D everything is just so much easier on a mac

aaand the screen on the macbookpro is amazing to watch videos on :shock: so nice, just finished watching pj vids on it 8-)
    congrats to everyone who went apple! d2d the imac looks so nice!! I'm loving my new 15" macbookpro more and more everyday, my first macbook was a total dud, but this computer is a beauty! :D everything is just so much easier on a mac

aaand the screen on the macbookpro is amazing to watch videos on :shock: so nice, just finished watching pj vids on it 8-)

I can't help but notice that, though I think I've been having problems with my Dell PC since before your problems began with your Mac, Apple has already replaced your Mac and I don't expect my replacement PC to arrive from Dell for another month. (And that was after hours & hours of arguing with them to replace it.)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,639
    have you told your parents?
    www.myspace.com