12-21-2012

Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
does this interest anybody else? im kind of new on the subject so i cant explain it all. anybody think something will happen?
I'll be back
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fotdfotd Posts: 514
    i'm pretty sure i'll be having a beer that day. does that count?
    I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    The film looks like a bit of fun. I like John Cusack.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Isn't this the last day of the current cycle of the Mayan Calendar? Alleged doomsday?
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Isn't this the last day of the current cycle of the Mayan Calendar? Alleged doomsday?

yes it is.

sometimes i read something or watch something about this and it gets me a bit freaked out.

other times , i think people are just making it out to be something bigger than it is.

still cool to look into, no matter what you think about it.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    the wolf wrote:

yes it is.

sometimes i read something or watch something about this and it gets me a bit freaked out.

other times , i think people are just making it out to be something bigger than it is.

The History Channel has had a ton of good doomsday prophecy stuff on lately... I wonder if they know something we don't...
    the wolf wrote:

yes it is.

The History Channel has had a ton of good doomsday prophecy stuff on lately... I wonder if they know something we don't...

i just said the same thing to my GF yesterday. :lol: :? :| myabe they do.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    The movie looks pretty scary... :o :shock:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

pfft mayans... what do they know. :roll: theyre not even here anymore... unless of course they went back to their home planet then were all fucked. :shock:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    the celestial events that day are a wonder for sure-
    the winter solstice
    our sun is to rise in the center of our milky way which has a super massive black hole an event that has not happened for 26,000 years
    many scientists believe this will effect the axis of the planet(??)
    its not just the Mayans who predict this date but also the Hope Indians and Ancient China.
    Its interesting but I don't think that will be our demise
    pandora wrote:
    the winter solstice
    our sun is to rise in the center of our milky way which has a super massive black hole an event that has not happened for 26,000 years
    its not just the Mayans who predict this date but also the Hope Indians and Ancient China.

yep.

no not our demise. just half of us ;)
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,414
    the wolf wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    the winter solstice

yep.

no not our demise. just half of us ;)

remind me to stay on the "good half" of the planet when this happens...wherever that is! :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    pandora wrote:
    the winter solstice

interesting....love this kind of stuff, and did not know about this.
    also, did not know about whatever film is apparently coming out based on this date, tho if it is meant to be a horror film, well then that explains it. i actually thought this was going to be a numerology thing. ;) hahaha. i have a thing for numbers/dates, so sure, i truly enjoyed 09.09.09. :lol: yep, dork. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• maybe it is the singularity of consciousness. information has been accelerating at an exponential rate for millenia. It took 10,000 years to double the amount of information "known" in the world to the point of the agriculture revolution a couple of centuries before Christ. The amount of information known in the world doubled again in 1500 years (renaissance), then 250 years later (the new world), then 100 years after that (the industrial revolution), then 50 years (World Wars) then 25 years (60s culture) then 10 years (computers in every house) then 5 years (internet) then every 1 year (look around you!) and by next year every month, and by early 2012 information will be doubling every couple of weeks, then by late 2012 information will be doubling every couple of hours, then minutes, then seconds, and a MASS SINGULARITY OF CONSCIOUSNESS will occur, sort of opposite of the big bang. Everyone will realize we are all one, matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, "reality" is a projection of the group subconscious, and no one ever has to be afraid, sad, or unhappy again and human suffering will END.

of course... I don't believe any of this. :roll:
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    maybe it is the singularity of consciousness. information has been accelerating at an exponential rate for millenia. It took 10,000 years to double the amount of information "known" in the world to the point of the agriculture revolution a couple of centuries before Christ. The amount of information known in the world doubled again in 1500 years (renaissance), then 250 years later (the new world), then 100 years after that (the industrial revolution), then 50 years (World Wars) then 25 years (60s culture) then 10 years (computers in every house) then 5 years (internet) then every 1 year (look around you!) and by next year every month, and by early 2012 information will be doubling every couple of weeks, then by late 2012 information will be doubling every couple of hours, then minutes, then seconds, and a MASS SINGULARITY OF CONSCIOUSNESS will occur, sort of opposite of the big bang. Everyone will realize we are all one, matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, "reality" is a projection of the group subconscious, and no one ever has to be afraid, sad, or unhappy again and human suffering will END.

would be nice though.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    maybe it is the singularity of consciousness. information has been accelerating at an exponential rate for millenia. It took 10,000 years to double the amount of information "known" in the world to the point of the agriculture revolution a couple of centuries before Christ. The amount of information known in the world doubled again in 1500 years (renaissance), then 250 years later (the new world), then 100 years after that (the industrial revolution), then 50 years (World Wars) then 25 years (60s culture) then 10 years (computers in every house) then 5 years (internet) then every 1 year (look around you!) and by next year every month, and by early 2012 information will be doubling every couple of weeks, then by late 2012 information will be doubling every couple of hours, then minutes, then seconds, and a MASS SINGULARITY OF CONSCIOUSNESS will occur, sort of opposite of the big bang. Everyone will realize we are all one, matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, "reality" is a projection of the group subconscious, and no one ever has to be afraid, sad, or unhappy again and human suffering will END.

pass along whatever it is you're smoking, and i strongly suggest you cut back on matrix-themed films for awhile....;) :D:mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• pass along whatever it is you're smoking, and i strongly suggest you cut back on matrix-themed films for awhile....;) :D:mrgreen:

lol This is a very real phenomenon! At least that is what Terence McKenna says... who I think was a genius. Sort of a mad scientiest maybe, but you should check out his lectures on YouTube. Search "Time Wave Zero Terence McKenna."

For his theories to make sense, actually to SEE THEM COME TO LIFE, you should try something that can't be smoked. ;) McKenna was a big proponent of entheogens.... as am I (NOT for everyone, just people who can handle it)

*edited to put McKenna in the past tense since he is with the machine elves now*
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • arqarq Posts: 8,013
    A lot of people will die that day, also a lot of people will be born, some will cotinue with their lives and others will wake up the next saying "WTF! I forgot that yesterday was the end of the world!" and then will continue with their lives paying morgage, bills etc etc
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Isn't this the last day of the current cycle of the Mayan Calendar? Alleged doomsday?

pfft mayans... what do they know. :roll: theyre not even here anymore... unless of course they went back to their home planet then were all fucked. :shock:

I read this quick and thought you said...."pfft wayans...." I'm like, they have their own home planet??? :lol:
    pass along whatever it is you're smoking, and i strongly suggest you cut back on matrix-themed films for awhile....;) :D:mrgreen:

lol This is a very real phenomenon! At least that is what Terence McKenna says... who I think was a genius. Sort of a mad scientiest maybe, but you should check out his lectures on YouTube. Search "Time Wave Zero Terence McKenna."

For his theories to make sense, actually to SEE THEM COME TO LIFE, you should try something that can't be smoked. ;) McKenna was a big proponent of entheogens.... as am I (NOT for everyone, just people who can handle it)

*edited to put McKenna in the past tense since he is with the machine elves now*

wow, just read some stuff about this guy. interesting.

Novelty theory and "Time Wave: Zero Point"
    See also: 2012 phenomenon
    One of McKenna's ideas is known as novelty theory. It predicts the ebb and flow of novelty in the universe as an inherent quality of time. McKenna developed the theory in the mid-1970s after his experiences in the Amazon at La Chorrera led him to closely study the King Wen sequence of the I-Ching. Novelty theory involves ontology, extropy, and eschatology.

The theory proposes that the universe is an engine designed for the production and conservation of novelty. Novelty, in this context, can be thought of as newness, or extropy (a term coined by Max More meaning the opposite of entropy). According to McKenna, when novelty is graphed over time, a fractal waveform known as "timewave zero" or simply the "timewave" results. The graph shows at what time periods, but never at what locations, novelty increases or decreases and is supposed to represent a model of history's most important events.

The algorithm has also been extrapolated to be a model for future events. McKenna admitted to the expectation of a "singularity of novelty", and that he and his colleagues projected into the future to find when this singularity (runaway "newness" or extropy) could occur. Millenarians give more credence to Novelty theory as a way to predict the future (especially regarding 2012) than McKenna himself. The graph of extropy had many enormous fluctuations over the last 25,000 years, but it hit an asymptote at the middle of November, 2012. After his discovery of other doomsday theories that would take place on exactly December 21, 2012, he simply bumped up the date of "doomsday".[20] This statement is contested, however, by McKenna's own mouth when during a lecture he said,

“ An astonishing thing about the date I arrived at, by this method is that it's the same date that the Mayan civilization appointed for the end of its calendar. In all eternity ... You know, you may choose not to believe that I didn't know this when I made this prediction. But I didn't, know it! I didn't. Yet I chose not the month, not the same year - the same day, month and year. [21] ”

In other words, entropy (or habituation) no longer exists after that date. It is impossible to define that state. This is also the date on which the Mayan long calendar ends one cycle through the zodiac signs, then it begins a new 26,000 year cycle through the next era, or the Age of Peace. The technological singularity concept parallels this, only at a date roughly three decades later.

Author Steve Wilson has stated that his reluctance to accept this technological endpoint was shattered when reading of the Adam_(robot) experiment's success. Since endpoint theory needs the creation of machines that can design and program other machines for the final stages to be possible (otherwise the slowness of human beings will make it impossible for such technological novelty to be achieved), this experiment is a major step towards practical artificial intelligence.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I think on this day too many people will be thinking the world will end so it will...

I guess if enough people think something it's supposed to happen.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • the wolf wrote:

wow, just read some stuff about this guy. interesting.

Novelty theory and "Time Wave: Zero Point"
    See also: 2012 phenomenon
    One of McKenna's ideas is known as novelty theory. It predicts the ebb and flow of novelty in the universe as an inherent quality of time. McKenna developed the theory in the mid-1970s after his experiences in the Amazon at La Chorrera led him to closely study the King Wen sequence of the I-Ching. Novelty theory involves ontology, extropy, and eschatology.

The theory proposes that the universe is an engine designed for the production and conservation of novelty. Novelty, in this context, can be thought of as newness, or extropy (a term coined by Max More meaning the opposite of entropy). According to McKenna, when novelty is graphed over time, a fractal waveform known as "timewave zero" or simply the "timewave" results. The graph shows at what time periods, but never at what locations, novelty increases or decreases and is supposed to represent a model of history's most important events.

The algorithm has also been extrapolated to be a model for future events. McKenna admitted to the expectation of a "singularity of novelty", and that he and his colleagues projected into the future to find when this singularity (runaway "newness" or extropy) could occur. Millenarians give more credence to Novelty theory as a way to predict the future (especially regarding 2012) than McKenna himself. The graph of extropy had many enormous fluctuations over the last 25,000 years, but it hit an asymptote at the middle of November, 2012. After his discovery of other doomsday theories that would take place on exactly December 21, 2012, he simply bumped up the date of "doomsday".[20] This statement is contested, however, by McKenna's own mouth when during a lecture he said,

“ An astonishing thing about the date I arrived at, by this method is that it's the same date that the Mayan civilization appointed for the end of its calendar. In all eternity ... You know, you may choose not to believe that I didn't know this when I made this prediction. But I didn't, know it! I didn't. Yet I chose not the month, not the same year - the same day, month and year. [21] ”

In other words, entropy (or habituation) no longer exists after that date. It is impossible to define that state. This is also the date on which the Mayan long calendar ends one cycle through the zodiac signs, then it begins a new 26,000 year cycle through the next era, or the Age of Peace. The technological singularity concept parallels this, only at a date roughly three decades later.

Author Steve Wilson has stated that his reluctance to accept this technological endpoint was shattered when reading of the Adam_(robot) experiment's success. Since endpoint theory needs the creation of machines that can design and program other machines for the final stages to be possible (otherwise the slowness of human beings will make it impossible for such technological novelty to be achieved), this experiment is a major step towards practical artificial intelligence.

I always like turning people on to McKenna ;) If you're a reader check out "The Food of the Gods" by McKenna. Or just sit back, smoke a lil', and watch YouTube vids of McKenna all night!
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    It's just the end of a cycle, nothing is going to happen.

It's like finding our calendar and thinking the world will end on 12-31-09

The Mayan's had a lot of time on their hands to work on giant calendars.

People have been around for millions of years, not just the duration of this 27,000 year cycle.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

I read this quick and thought you said...."pfft wayans...." I'm like, they have their own home planet??? :lol:

dunno about all the wayans... but i know damon has a homey planet. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    People have been around for millions of years, not just the duration of this 27,000 year cycle.
    The Mayan calendar started with the big bang.. And accurately so, considering Scientists had no idea how long ago it was until fairly recently.

Their calendar is not based off years or rotations of celestial objects. It's hard to explain, but I'd recommend read up on it. Interesting stuff.
  • i dig weird shit
  • I always like turning people on to McKenna ;) If you're a reader check out "The Food of the Gods" by McKenna. Or just sit back, smoke a lil', and watch YouTube vids of McKenna all night!

I'm a huge fan of Terence McKenna. Have had most of his lecture audio (mp3) collection for quite some time.

I'm sure your familiar with the 'psychedelic salon' podcast that has frequent Terence lectures along with RAW, Leary and other friends.

'The Food of the Gods' is great but I'd also recommend the audio-book "True Hallucinations" (or book) by McKenna about he and his brother's trip to the Amazon.

For those who have not heard it, it is read by Terence and mind-blowingly amusing, amazing and accessible. It can be found online for sale or for free. Good intro to the brothers philosophies too.

In there he mentions his discovery involving the 'I-Ching' and it's connection to the 12.21.2012 end date. . . . . . . . . .where history/information gets exponentially denser and denser and faster and faster till we reach the singularity beyond history!

8o)
  • cool stuff
  • Satyagraha wrote:
    I always like turning people on to McKenna ;) If you're a reader check out "The Food of the Gods" by McKenna. Or just sit back, smoke a lil', and watch YouTube vids of McKenna all night!

I'm a huge fan of Terence McKenna. Have had most of his lecture audio (mp3) collection for quite some time.

I'm sure your familiar with the 'psychedelic salon' podcast that has frequent Terence lectures along with RAW, Leary and other friends.

'The Food of the Gods' is great but I'd also recommend the audio-book "True Hallucinations" (or book) by McKenna about he and his brother's trip to the Amazon.

For those who have not heard it, it is read by Terence and mind-blowingly amusing, amazing and accessible. It can be found online for sale or for free. Good intro to the brothers philosophies too.

In there he mentions his discovery involving the 'I-Ching' and it's connection to the 12.21.2012 end date. . . . . . . . . .where history/information gets exponentially denser and denser and faster and faster till we reach the singularity beyond history!

8o)

hmmm I don't know if I've heard the Psychedelic Salon but will check it out tonight... I am fairly certain I have seen every McKenna and RAW video on the interwebs and at least 'most' of Leary's, but may have missed that one.

'True Hallucinations' is on my list of books to read - which has at least 100 books on it now so I'll have to make that one a priority.

A quote that always brings McKenna to mind is written by Tom Robbins in 'Jitterbug Perfume' (one of his characters - Wiggs Dannyboy - is loosely based off of McKenna)... "Once you stop believing in magic you start believing in dangerous things like business and government." While I think there is tremendous scienctific knowledge behind McKenna's work, I also enjoy it because it gets my imagination rolling and tears down boundaries about traditional thought... he is a magician with his ideas, words, and theories.
  • RideRickRideRick Posts: 703
    It's just the end of a cycle, nothing is going to happen.

It's like finding our calendar and thinking the world will end on 12-31-09

The Mayan's had a lot of time on their hands to work on giant calendars.

maya_cartoon_2012.JPG

:lol:
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • 1171 days until the eschaton is immanetized!