Options

what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I was that woman this weekend. Cutting a long story to a shorter version:

We were on vacation this past weekend for 4 days. We took our daughter to Idlewild. (An amusement park.) We waited in line at the bumper cars, two kids in front of us obviously left to fend for themselves. Probably 6 and 7 years old. The 6 year old boy flicks a branch in my daughter's eye twice. After the second time, I asked that he please step down from the fence and stop flicking the branch since he is hurting people. He was being obnoxious, so I decided to ignore him. Parents in line are rolling their eyes at me over these kids behavior. Finally, the boy absolutely plonked his sister HARD. I looked at him and loudly told him that I was not his mother. I was not his grandmother, but I was NOT going to let him stand there and hit his sister. I told him that it was not okay. We do not hit people and when I see his grandmother, I am telling her about his behavior. "You aren't going to tell her." "Watch me." He starts panicking. The sister starts telling me that I'm not telling on her because she was good . . . "You were not good either." :insert jaw drop: I then hear, "HEY!" It was the obnoxious 6 year old boy. I looked at him. "IF I SEE YOU ANYWHERE IN THIS PARK TODAY, I'M GOING TO BLOW A GASKET!" "Really? You are really going to blow a gasket? Here's the thing. I hope that you grow up and learn to lead a productive life. That is not a nice thing to say." The guy in front of them had been busy for a while telling them that if they didn't straighten up, the ride operator wouldn't allow them to ride the ride.

Now grandma saunters up. "Have you guys been good?" My husband, not one to generally say much in situations like these responds, "NO, they haven't been." The guy in front of us said the same. She looked at me. "They've been very bad." She pulled them out of line and said she was taking them to the end. She did that for a few minutes, removed them from the line and we never saw them any more that day.

I was not going to put up with that boy beating on his sister. His sister was busy mother-henning and our guess was that they are not very well managed by anyone.

My hope? I hope that discipline is shown to those two SOON. Those kids aren't lost, but need guidance. It truly was sad. I have never yelled at a kid who wasn't my own in public, but I wasn't going to let him continue to hit her. I know that this situation won't be a turn-around moment for him today. I hope that one day he looks back and thinks of this. I hope that he remembers when he is raising his own children and won't be an absent parent like it seems he is experiencing.

What would you have done?
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    deadendp said:

We were on vacation this past weekend for 4 days. We took our daughter to Idlewild. (An amusement park.) We waited in line at the bumper cars, two kids in front of us obviously left to fend for themselves. Probably 6 and 7 years old. The 6 year old boy flicks a branch in my daughter's eye twice. After the second time, I asked that he please step down from the fence and stop flicking the branch since he is hurting people. He was being obnoxious, so I decided to ignore him. Parents in line are rolling their eyes at me over these kids behavior. Finally, the boy absolutely plonked his sister HARD. I looked at him and loudly told him that I was not his mother. I was not his grandmother, but I was NOT going to let him stand there and hit his sister. I told him that it was not okay. We do not hit people and when I see his grandmother, I am telling her about his behavior. "You aren't going to tell her." "Watch me." He starts panicking. The sister starts telling me that I'm not telling on her because she was good . . . "You were not good either." :insert jaw drop: I then hear, "HEY!" It was the obnoxious 6 year old boy. I looked at him. "IF I SEE YOU ANYWHERE IN THIS PARK TODAY, I'M GOING TO BLOW A GASKET!" "Really? You are really going to blow a gasket? Here's the thing. I hope that you grow up and learn to lead a productive life. That is not a nice thing to say." The guy in front of them had been busy for a while telling them that if they didn't straighten up, the ride operator wouldn't allow them to ride the ride.

Now grandma saunters up. "Have you guys been good?" My husband, not one to generally say much in situations like these responds, "NO, they haven't been." The guy in front of us said the same. She looked at me. "They've been very bad." She pulled them out of line and said she was taking them to the end. She did that for a few minutes, removed them from the line and we never saw them any more that day.

I was not going to put up with that boy beating on his sister. His sister was busy mother-henning and our guess was that they are not very well managed by anyone.

My hope? I hope that discipline is shown to those two SOON. Those kids aren't lost, but need guidance. It truly was sad. I have never yelled at a kid who wasn't my own in public, but I wasn't going to let him continue to hit her. I know that this situation won't be a turn-around moment for him today. I hope that one day he looks back and thinks of this. I hope that he remembers when he is raising his own children and won't be an absent parent like it seems he is experiencing.

The same thing.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,836

deadendp said:

The same thing.
    Me To!
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I don't parent, so if I'm honest I probably wouldn't have done or said anything. But I applaud you and your husband and the guy in line in front of you. Hopefully it teaches that kid that being a dick even when you think no one will find out isn't going to work out for you. But what does mother henning mean?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    my family and relatives live quiet peaceful at the moment and dont have to put up with shit like myself dont want that to change but would like me to have a peaceful future too
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    bed
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    im sick and paranoid at the moment....yes im real... and good people do suffer...
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,565
    edited August 2015
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    a little worried of bitches and creeps just because...
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I don't want to go to work...if the new girl doesn't show up again, I don't want to deal with the explosion.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

I don't want to go to work...if the new girl doesn't show up again, I don't want to deal with the explosion.

I've never understood how new people can call off and still retain their positions. Good thoughts to you for a better day.
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

Hope this new girl either shows up, or you are able to find a good replacement. I hate that kids and even adults are so
    Lazy and unreliable these days..
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

my family and relatives live quiet peaceful at the moment and dont have to put up with shit like myself dont want that to change but would like me to have a peaceful future too

Everyone deserves a peaceful future.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    The philosophy of Objectivism
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    I have terrible heartburn... I shouldn't have eaten Mexican food for lunch and followed it up with a coffee..dumb dumb dumb

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    edited August 2015
    Reunited with my man tomorrow, then off to Chicago. So excited!

If anyone has any food/drink/attraction recommendations, PM me!
    Post edited by samjam on
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    I had really good pizza at the art museum. Sounds weird, but true.
  • Options
    Feel like I'm running on empty
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

Feel like I'm running on empty

I felt that way earlier. Sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    Bourito
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    The fickle nature of human beings..
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,771
    Pap said:
    Great name for gyradiko..lol
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    :smiley:
  • Options
    capital controls
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,099
    I have 3, 3-day weekends in a row! :)
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    ^^ FANTASTIC! So very happy for you, Frankie!
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,099
    deadendp said:

^^ FANTASTIC! So very happy for you, Frankie!

I have a lot of 3 day weekends, so it's not a very rare thing, but I definitely need it!

Anyone going to Counting Crows on Saturday? Meet you in the Lawn if you are!
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    I am so happy now that I got to brush horses and clean stalls. I met a horse that is 32 yrs old and looks 15!!! He's the oldest horse I have ever met!! He's even still working under saddle, which is amazing! He was an abandonment case.. He kinda 'came with the ranch' I went and worked at today. But before he was neglected and abandoned.. Someone LOVED this horse!! He had such personality too! And then there was a mare that had her ear cut off when she was a tiny little fully. She was a broodmare for the Parfūm industry, and luckily fell into the hands of this lady that runs this ministry..she surprised the lady when I walked right up to her and stroked her forehead.. Apparently she doesn't just let people touch her head.. And then there was the 19 yr old Gelding from the Black Forest seizure last year. All in all it felt great to be near horses again.. I got go brush all of them, and clean their stalls.. I really need that..
  • Options
    am too busy today have to cook lunch and clean so wont be on the net unfortunately
    but its a lovely day here wish i was feeling better though