Options

Could Pearl Jam tour like Grateful Dead and Phish has done?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Ghost Of K.Ghost Of K. Posts: 170
    Course they could, but they are young enough to still have personal lives.
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...
  • Options
    CupofjoeCupofjoe Posts: 557
    ovechkin8 wrote:
    this has nothing to do with songwriting, musical ability, etc....

BUT

i would never want pearl jam tours to turn into a fucking circus filled with drug addict freaks following them from town to town....fuck that

a little seed here and there is ok but I hear ya... don't think it would turn into that... what a great thread..

PAGE GET OFF THE COUCH!
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    There is no way they could pull this off. They would have to start jamming on their songs so they can make them unique to each show. Plus they wouldn't be able to repeat songs from night to night like they do. I just don't see it happening. They're a different beast than GD or Phish. All 3 bands are amazing!
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    ovechkin8 wrote:
    phish played basements in europe and you'll be hard pressed to find an australian who even knows who the fuck they are.

the dead went to egypt and maybe 300 people showed up...all existing deadhead trust fund babies from the US.

when pearl jam plays europe, they clean up...same with OZ.

if they played the middle east, bet your ass people would show up.

so the question really is....could those other bands tour like pearl jam does....and the answer is a resounding NO.

Phish played to 80,000 people on 12/31/99 in the middle of the Everglades!!:eek: They used to put on festivals where they were the only band playing and around 60,000 people would show up for the weekend. The Dead had similar numbers at various shows throughout their career. Who cares about Europe and Australia... they were America's bands;):D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    I noticed all the concerts you attended... It's spelled "Nacogdoches"

Hey, I live here and I'm at Stephen F. Austin so I thought it was only appropriate for me to point that out.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I wouldn't want them to. A summer tour every year would be amazing, but Phish & the Dead toured nonstop - fall, winter, spring, and summer. They never stopped.

I don't think they have the variance in their live shows to tour that consistently and still keep people coming back - DMB really only does a big summer tour now, and they change things up (in terms of song structure) than PJ does. Yeah, PJ changes their setlist big time from night to night, even moreso than DMB is doing this summer, but what most people don't understand is with Phish & the Dead, you never heard the same song twice. 'Scarlet Begonias' from one stop in 1990 didn't sound the same as it did two weeks later, and certainly not like it did in 1988. PJ may change their setlist, but thier songs don't really have the ability to change like the Dead & Phish could do - which I like, but not enough to make people travel to more than 2 shows a year like people did for Phish & the Dead. Also, the "scene" outside - hippies everywhere, Shakedown Street, the 'free vibe' at Phish/Dead shows is what drew a lot of people to the concerts and kept them going to more. PJ doesn't have that.

As others said, they like to spend time with their families and we want to keep them fresh.

In all, PJ couldn't pull it off and I wouldn't want them to anyway.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    Cob wrote:
    OK, here's some Phish numbers that I dug up.

1990-75 shows
    1991-123 shows
    1992-147 shows
    1993-112 shows
    1994-126 shows
    1995-82 shows
    1996-71 shows
    1997-79 shows
    1998-68 shows
    1999-68 shows
    2000-57 shows

to me, that's just mind boggling that a band can put in that much time on the road, year after year after year.

jervin007 wrote:
    I don't think any band could ever tour like the dead or phish again. even if phish were to reunite it wouldn't be the same. Sure, there are still communities and large fanbases for many bands, but high expenses, including ticket prices, it just doesn't seem like that environment could be recreated. People were able to tour with bands in the past by selling goods, etc. Now, every show I hear more and more about horror stories from cops/security in the parking lots. As a result only people with the time and money can tour, defeating the purpose of what touring greats like the dead or phish represented. When Phish reunities, and they will, expect ticket prices to be $75 dollars a show easy.

that's just not true. the jamband scene doesn't need to be recreated, it's still there. there is a very large number of bands that are touring non-stop these days. they're not pulling in the numbers the dead or phish did, but they still have a respectable ammount of people supporting them and following them. and a lot of those people are doing it the same way people did it when following GD or phish.....selling hemp jewelry, "magical" brownies, grilled tofu sandwiches, and whatnot in the lots and campgrounds (for the festivals). it's all still there, just not as large as it used to be. and the music some of those bands are making.....it's almost a crime that they don't get more support. in the past nine years, i've seen some things that completely blew my mind, musically. it's a great scene to be a part of and i look forward to all the "new" bands i see, every year.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    that's just not true. the jamband scene doesn't need to be recreated, it's still there.

Definitely. As I've said before, the fanbase is here. The bands are not. If a band were to sound as fresh and interesting as Phish & the Dead emerged that could appeal to the entire jamband scene, instead of just sectionds (Widespread, Bisco, Umphrey's), and also appeal to the mainstream (PJ, DMB, Radiohead fans)...there could easily be another one. Maybe not a stadium band like the Dead, but it's possible. The fanbase is here and waiting for a band to sit on the throne again.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    moses562 wrote:
    I noticed all the concerts you attended... It's spelled "Nacogdoches"

Hey, I live here and I'm at Stephen F. Austin so I thought it was only appropriate for me to point that out.

Well everyone used to call it Naco No Where back in the day, so sorry if it's spelled wrong.....Oh and Go Lumberjacks!
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    I am truly "grateful" to have experienced Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia's guitar playing which showed me as a rediculous youth the higher hights. I don't think I will ever experience that again and it cannot be accurately explained to anyone who didn't experience it. The reason I say Pearl Jam is better is because A)Eddie Vedder is as good a singer as Jerry Garcia was a guitarist- by that I mean in a class of their own, and B) because I am a restless ADD revolutionary and Pearl Jam gives me what I NEED!!!!
    I can understand others not feeling the same though!
  • Options
    McNairn wrote:
    I am a restless ADD revolutionary!

ME TOO!
    But throw an "H" up in that hizzle.

adHd, mofo!

:D:D:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    The minute Pearl Jam crosses over into full on jam band territory I stop being a fan. I find those bands to be wanky and boring.

I'm more a fan of the traditional sequence of writing material, then touring it for a period of time. Writing great studio albums is an art to itself and I already feel that Pearl Jam is beginning to sell it a little short and overkill the live end of things.
  • Options
    Igottago wrote:
    The minute Pearl Jam crosses over into full on jam band territory I stop being a fan. I find those bands to be wanky and boring.

I'm more a fan of the traditional sequence of writing material, then touring it for a period of time. Writing great studio albums is an art to itself and I already feel that Pearl Jam is beginning to sell it a little short and overkill the live end of things.

it's nice to go to a show and "know" the songs you're going to hear in advance, but i gotta tell ya it's hella fun witnessing how a song changes over a year or two live before it's released on a studio album.
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    ovechkin8 wrote:
    i would never want pearl jam tours to turn into a fucking circus filled with drug addict freaks following them from town to town
    As a former 1978 tour 'drug addict freak' of the GD, how you would describe the numerous (IMHO nice and great party) fans I met that went to all the EC PJ shows this past summer and now numerous EV shows? I understand the line 'what a long strange trip it's been' better after that bit of naivete. Hope you have as much fun at the circus I did. Peace.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    PEAR "JAM" Their starting to live up to it!!!
  • Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    ^i wasn't referring to GD (before my time) as much as i was referring to the decay of the phish scene...and later how the disease spread to bands like SCI and all of the other 2nd-3rd tier jambands (biscuits, umphreys, sts9, etc).

acid and e all day, benzos all night....good way to live life, right?
  • Options
    battan1120battan1120 Posts: 310
    Trailer wrote:
    There is no way they could pull this off. They would have to start jamming on their songs so they can make them unique to each show. Plus they wouldn't be able to repeat songs from night to night like they do. I just don't see it happening. They're a different beast than GD or Phish. All 3 bands are amazing!
    I was gonna say the same thing.I don't know if it was Phils book "Searching for the Sound" or Jerry's biography by Dennis McNally.This was a business in which they had to tour to pay all the people that worked for them.Which is where they made there money.If Pearl Jam does'nt have to tour like that to pay the bills there will be many more memorable moments.Ending There will never be a band like the GOOD OLD GRATEFUL DEAD!!!!!!!!!EVER!!!!!!!Pearl Jam ROCKS!!!!!But its like comparing apples to oranges.
    The bus came by and I got on!!!!!
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    battan1120 wrote:
    I was gonna say the same thing.I don't know if it was Phils book "Searching for the Sound" or Jerry's biography by Dennis McNally.This was a business in which they had to tour to pay all the people that worked for them.Which is where they made there money.If Pearl Jam does'nt have to tour like that to pay the bills there will be many more memorable moments.Ending There will never be a band like the GOOD OLD GRATEFUL DEAD!!!!!!!!!EVER!!!!!!!Pearl Jam ROCKS!!!!!But its like comparing apples to oranges.

I bought the cd audio version of "searching for the sound" and Phil definitely covered this issue in that book.

It was real hard to hear Phil speak about Jerry's passing...

Apples vs oranges, indeed! As much as they are similar they are very different.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    battan1120 wrote:

The members of the Dead spread the wealth all around. It just grew into a huge monster and they could never stop touring towards the end. They had to many to support. It took its toll.
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    1/2 Empty wrote:
    Will it be the Phish tour brought to you buy N.A.M.B.L.A.?

Sorry I don't get this.... Trey is into little boys or something....
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,642
    I think the real question is not whether the PJ boys could physically pull of constant touring like the GD did, but if the market could sustain them. I think they would have a hard time in todays musical environment being on the road so much and selling out as many shows as the GD could. Even in NYC, a PJ stronghold I doubt they could sell out 9 consecutive nights at MSG and still have 2000 fans who got shut out scouring the streets looking for a miracle.

I believe they have found the right ratio of supply to demand - Do some big arenas every few years, then throw in some intimates like Irving or Vic to keep the diehards in a frenzy.
  • Options
    TKDTKD Posts: 163
    pateljam wrote:
    Sorry I don't get this.... Trey is into little boys or something....
    that would be Gordo
    jk, but he did have a little incident at an ABB show a few years ago taking pics of a hells angels kid. He pretty much got the shit beat out of him.
    Im a million miles away from home and I cant find a telephone...
  • Options
    TKD wrote:
    that would be Gordo
    jk, but he did have a little incident at an ABB show a few years ago taking pics of a hells angels kid. He pretty much got the shit beat out of him.

he was taking pictures of the kid riding on mike's segway scooter. don't make it sound like he had the kid in a trailer, taking nude pictures of him.

**edit**

nice fucking sig, by the way. "my folks don't even know where i am. hell i don't even know where i am."
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    URthekey wrote:
    I think the real question is not whether the PJ boys could physically pull of constant touring like the GD did, but if the market could sustain them. I think they would have a hard time in todays musical environment being on the road so much and selling out as many shows as the GD could. Even in NYC, a PJ stronghold I doubt they could sell out 9 consecutive nights at MSG and still have 2000 fans who got shut out scouring the streets looking for a miracle.

I believe they have found the right ratio of supply to demand - Do some big arenas every few years, then throw in some intimates like Irving or Vic to keep the diehards in a frenzy.
    i think the market is def there. And they really dont have to do a constant winter/spring/summer/fall tour. They could do to little runs every few months like they just did.
    East coast for a run, then the west hitting the modwest and south in between.
    Im oversimplifying it, but thats doable
    and dont forget they can always play the festival circiuts now that there a little more comfortable with the idea
    And they could always throw there own too :-)
  • Options
    he was taking pictures of the kid riding on mike's segway scooter. don't make it sound like he had the kid in a trailer, taking nude pictures of him.

**edit**

nice fucking sig, by the way. "my folks don't even know where i am. hell i don't even know where i am."
    didnt mean to make it sound like that
    was really just kidding
    srew that he's a fuckin pederast man.
    jk
  • Options
    TKD wrote:
    was really just kidding
    jk

"Eight year olds, Dude."
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    TKD wrote:
    was really just kidding
    jk

You didn't make it sound like that...
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    The Dead had all the same stuff going on at their peak.

I would even say they had too much going on. Glad PJ is able to take breaks. The dead should have but when they did it was too late.

I think those other things are very important to the band members. More so than constant touring. They spend time completely segregated away from Pearl Jam and each other.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    Vedder316Vedder316 Posts: 205
    Not sure Ed's liver could take touring all the time.(kidding) I'm happy seeing them a couple times every few years, makes things feel more special.
    Many many wonderful shows, since day one.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    Come On Page! Take One For The Fans! 2009 New Years would be great you have 5 months more to spend with the fam or hell bring em.