Options

Could Pearl Jam tour like Grateful Dead and Phish has done?

CupofjoeCupofjoe Posts: 557
edited July 2008 in The Porch
What are your thought?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    Why not?
    Just me
  • Options
    Zanne wrote:
    Why not?
    I think and hope they would go on the run!
  • Options
    can't see it happening.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    ed would die
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    theyve proven theyre capable of it in the past 3 years... dont think they will do the annual tour thing though just because they seem pretty dedicated to their families and expanding their studio work rather than simply resting on their laurels
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    They would definitely need to give ED a rest in between songs. Jam a little more, mix up set list with mellow songs. But I think it would open up a new era for the band and fans. Also, they could bring in some of their side projects etc. I think Ed could actually hang!
  • Options
    Families seem to actually enjoy touring with them. At least from what I can see side stage this tour. Especially as the kids get older I think theyll want to be more involved.
  • Options
    toronado10toronado10 Posts: 239
    it seems PJ is more in favor of playing shorter tours these days, I can't see them touring for months at a time every year.
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • Options
    Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    I like the anticipation of shows....constant touring would take some of the fun out of it (for me).
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    As long as none of PJ does heroin yes they could do what the dead did. Garcia was so hooked on that stuff. So very sad at the end.
  • Options
    As long as none of PJ does heroin yes they could do what the dead did. Garcia was so hooked on that stuff. So very sad at the end.

I thought Jerry died because he tried to get OFF of heroin.

Remember he died IN REHAB, right?

It's like a pickle all of a sudden getting out of his jar and being like, "fuck this. i don't want to be a pickle anymore!"

Dude.
    You're a fucking pickle!
    Get over it.
    Deal.

Enjoy the smack,
    and live your life.

ps. and PJ kicked the smack a LONG time ago. praise be to jebus.
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    I thought Jerry died because he tried to get OFF of heroin.

Remember he died IN REHAB, right?

It's like a pickle all of a sudden getting out of his jar and being like, "fuck this. i don't want to be a pickle anymore!"

Dude.
    You're a fucking pickle!
    Get over it.
    Deal.

Enjoy the smack,
    and live your life.

ps. and PJ kicked the smack a LONG time ago. praise be to jebus.

Yea Garcia quit cold turkey so many times. The last time he really did quit and was doing well. But his body gave out on him.

Yea he died at the rehab center he was at. Heart attack :(
  • Options
    Yea he died at the rehab center he was at. Heart attack :(

like i said.
    Just be the fucking pickle man.

:(
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsZ5aBPKAM4

It's getting close to the date that Garcia passed. This was the last song he sang in Chicago in 1995.

Miss you Jerry. :(
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210

It's getting close to the date that Garcia passed. This was the last song he sang in Chicago in 1995.
    As do I, Patrickredeyes. Thanks for the link. Jerry lived to play anywhere and anytime. I think his being was music and music was his being. Eddie appears to have that same sort of wanderlust -just hope he takes better care of himself and we all see PJ honored in their 60's. I'll be there.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    sgossard3 wrote:
    theyve proven theyre capable of it in the past 3 years... dont think they will do the annual tour thing though just because they seem pretty dedicated to their families and expanding their studio work rather than simply resting on their laurels

I'm not sure if you are aware of how many shows that Grateful Dead and Phish would play every year, I mean we're talking Spring, Summer, Fall and December shows by both bands every year, with the Dead playing May warm up shows and August end of Summer shows.

This went on every year, we're talking about 60 to 80 shows a year, I know Pearl Jam played 72 shows in 2000 and that was considered a lot, I can't even imagine them doing it every year. The main reason I think that Grateful Dead and Phish did it so much is that they both had become HUGE beast as far as people working for them and relying on them. I know that Grateful Dead had to have several hunderd people on their pay roll alone.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    Cob wrote:
    I'm not sure if you are aware of how many shows that Grateful Dead and Phish would play every year, I mean we're talking Spring, Summer, Fall and December shows by both bands every year, with the Dead playing May warm up shows and August end of Summer shows.

This went on every year, we're talking about 60 to 80 shows a year, I know Pearl Jam played 72 shows in 2000 and that was considered a lot, I can't even imagine them doing it every year. The main reason I think that Grateful Dead and Phish did it so much is that they both had become HUGE beast as far as people working for them and relying on them. I know that Grateful Dead had to have several hunderd people on their pay roll alone.

exactly. it was almost like a never ending tour with those bands...they'd just bleed from one year right into the next. there's still plenty of bands out there that come close to what the dead and phish did, but to think pearl jam could do it............very unlikely.
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Cob wrote:

oh i didnt mean to downplay what GD and phish did... its incredible for artists to be able to play that many show and still keep them so fresh and full of energy... i just feel like PJ *could* do that if they so chose... i dont think ive seen them reach a breaking point at the end of a tour... theyre consistent from beginning to end... which leads me to believe they are capable of more if they didnt have other priorities... eds voice would give out eventually though the way he uses it... its not nice and gentle like bob and jerry and treys... and id rather save it for more years of great new music
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    sgossard3 wrote:
    oh i didnt mean to downplay what GD and phish did... its incredible for artists to be able to play that many show and still keep them so fresh and full of energy... i just feel like PJ *could* do that if they so chose... i dont think ive seen them reach a breaking point at the end of a tour... theyre consistent from beginning to end... which leads me to believe they are capable of more if they didnt have other priorities... eds voice would give out eventually though the way he uses it... its not nice and gentle like bob and jerry and treys... and id rather save it for more years of great new music

It seemed like the 2006 tour was draining on the band. Ed mentioned some stuff in the Iconoclasts show.
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    exactly. it was almost like a never ending tour with those bands...they'd just bleed from one year right into the next. there's still plenty of bands out there that come close to what the dead and phish did, but to think pearl jam could do it............very unlikely.

Here's a break down of just Grateful Dead from 1980 to 1990.

1980-87 shows
    1981-86 shows
    1982-62 shows
    1983-67 shows
    1984-64 shows
    1985-71 shows
    1986-46 shows, Jerry Garcia almost died and several shows were canceled.
    1987-87 shows
    1988-81 shows
    1989-74 shows
    1990-74 shows

That's a lot of shows with no break and that's not including any 70's concerts or 1991 to 1995, they basically toured non stop from 1970 to 1995, not counting when they "retired" in 1975. I'll have some Phish stats when I have more time on my hands, although I do consider my self a Grateful Dead historian, if there's even such a thing.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187

Indeed.. Miss ya a million times over..

Ok so yeah.. pearl jam could easily pull a a Dead.. but they seem to really enjoy their off time... so i cant see it happening..
    specially with all the recent baby makin :P
  • Options
    Cob wrote:
    Here's a break down of just Grateful Dead from 1980 to 1990.

1980-87 shows
    1981-86 shows
    1982-62 shows
    1983-67 shows
    1984-64 shows
    1985-71 shows
    1986-46 shows, Jerry Garcia almost died and several shows were canceled.
    1987-87 shows
    1988-81 shows
    1989-74 shows
    1990-74 shows

That's a lot of shows with no break and that's not including any 70's concerts or 1991 to 1995, they basically toured non stop from 1970 to 1995, not counting when they "retired" in 1975. I'll have some Phish stats when I have more time on my hands, although I do consider my self a Grateful Dead historian, if there's even such a thing.

799 shows from '80-'90. that's insane. would have topped 800 if jerry didn't have his "spell" in '86.

looking forward to the phish numbers. i read in the paper a few weeks ago that trey and his writing partner have been writing like crazy lately, and a reunion has been rumored to happen, but nothing is set in stone (yet).
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    Cob wrote:
    The main reason I think that Grateful Dead and Phish did it so much is that they both had become HUGE beast as far as people working for them and relying on them. I know that Grateful Dead had to have several hunderd people on their pay roll alone.

Also, and no offense to dead heads, but the intensity of a dead show has NOTHING on a PJ show.

i'm not talking about EMOTIONAL intensity.
    I'm talking about physical exuberance.
    The dead didn't jump around all over the stage,
    and Jerry sure as fuck didn't scream and yell like Eddie.

Those songs were laid back, and while it certainly isn't easy on the fingers to "jam out" as much as they did ...

i think it is fair to say that what the Dead did on stage every night was not really the same as what Pearl Jam does, in terms of physical input.

That being said,
    i mean no disrespect to the dead.

Personaly i think they went south somewhere around the mid 70's,
    but i totally dug there continued commitment to music and touring.

Anyhow.
    I think this is a case of apples to oranges, in the length of touring department.
    (although i have always been one of the believers in some of the Dead\PJ comparisons. Hell. I don't want to toot my own horn, but i'm pretty godamn sure that a few years a go i was one of the first people on here making that comparison. :D ) ...

• Options
    Also, and no offense to dead heads, but the intensity of a dead show has NOTHING on a PJ show.

i'm not talking about EMOTIONAL intensity.
    I'm talking about physical exuberance.
    The dead didn't jump around all over the stage,
    and Jerry sure as fuck didn't scream and yell like Eddie.

Those songs were laid back, and while it certainly isn't easy on the fingers to "jam out" as much as they did ...

i think it is fair to say that what the Dead did on stage every night was not really the same as what Pearl Jam does, in terms of physical input.

That being said,
    i mean no disrespect to the dead.

Personaly i think they went south somewhere around the mid 70's,
    but i totally dug there continued commitment to music and touring.

Anyhow.
    I think this is a case of apples to oranges, in the length of touring department.
    (although i have always been one of the believers in some of the Dead\PJ comparisons. Hell. I don't want to toot my own horn, but i'm pretty godamn sure that a few years a go i was one of the first people on here making that comparison. :D ) ...

The comparisons with the Dead and PJ will always be with me. I saw a couple dead shows in 94 and 95. Saw my last dead show one nite and the next nite saw my first PJ show. :)

It's the ''anything can happen'' feeling that both bands have in commen.
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    No. Cos GD and Phish never developed much of a fanbase outside of North America. That's how they could tour the way they're used to.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    mozettimozetti Posts: 95
    Cob wrote:
    The main reason I think that Grateful Dead and Phish did it so much is that they both had become HUGE beast as far as people working for them and relying on them. I know that Grateful Dead had to have several hunderd people on their pay roll alone.

That's true about the Dead. But, Phish learned from them and made a concious decision to now allow their organization to get to that point. That's why they were able to take the hiatus from 00-03, and then officially call it quits in 04.

The main reason Phish toured so much is because they loved it. They were all professional musicians. They were profesional rock artists, sure, but 3 of the 4 have degrees in music; Mike's is in Film. One of the intangible qualities (for me and others) about Phish shows/tours is that you can tell they just absolutely love what they're doing, at that moment. When it started losing its appeal (after 17 years or so, it's not surprising), they decided to hang it up.

Now, there's talk of them getting back together now that Trey's cleaned up. I really hope it happens, but only if they truly want to do it. My experience tells me they wouldn't get back together unless they were serious about it, so I'm not worried that they're just selling out if it does come to pass.
  • Options
    mozettimozetti Posts: 95
    Hinny wrote:
    No. Cos GD and Phish never developed much of a fanbase outside of North America. That's how they could tour the way they're used to.

While it's true they don't have the international fanbase that PJ does, the rest of the statement isn't true. PJ isn't doing regular international tours. They could tour like the Dead and Phish did, throwing in an international leg every few years (like they do now). For whatever reason, PJ has chosen not to do that, which is cool, too.

And, Phish did one (or two?) Europe tours and a tour of Japan. The Dead also played Europe at least once.
  • Options
    mozetti wrote:
    While it's true they don't have the international fanbase that PJ does, the rest of the statement isn't true. PJ isn't doing regular international tours. They could tour like the Dead and Phish did, throwing in an international leg every few years (like they do now). For whatever reason, PJ has chosen not to do that, which is cool, too.

And, Phish did one (or two?) Europe tours and a tour of Japan. The Dead also played Europe at least once.

The Dead's Europe 1972 had some great shows.:)
  • Options
    vluggagevluggage Posts: 69
    799 shows from '80-'90. that's insane. would have topped 800 if jerry didn't have his "spell" in '86.

looking forward to the phish numbers. i read in the paper a few weeks ago that trey and his writing partner have been writing like crazy lately, and a reunion has been rumored to happen, but nothing is set in stone (yet).

Will it be the Phish tour brought to you buy N.A.M.B.L.A.?
    "I think I kinda want it."
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    As people have mentioned the GD toured spring summer fall AND winter...though, for the people of the northeast we generally got 3 tours, as they usually spent the winter months close to home.

I don't think PJ can handle that pace...though it would be nice...and I'm not sure the band even wants to. Perhaps because PJ tour less the shows become more special...if that is possible...

As far as those who discovered the GP/PJ comparisons first I pretty much think every deadhead that found PJ knew the similarities right away. I found out in 1996 that they were similar, which is why I latched on.

I think patickredeyes says it best when he says "anything can happen" cause the element of surprise is one of the greatest strengths that both these bands have. Pure Magic can happen. But I also look at how the 2 organizations are/were run...both organizations are extremely fan friendly...made me damn proud to be associated with these bands...cause they care about us, as much as we cared about them.