Options

Ed Has Made The World & Usa A Better Place With His Lyrics

CupofjoeCupofjoe Posts: 557
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Who agrees! Lets put and end to that negative bullshi# Marine thread. If Ed has affected you in a positive way in life please post or bump this one.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Has helped me and made some good times even better
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    I find something to connect with every time I listen. It varies according to mood and situation.
    I fully support Ed's speaking out. More of us need to follow suit!
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Cupofjoe wrote:
    Who agrees! Lets put and end to that negative bullshi# Marine thread. If Ed has affected you in a positive way in life please post or bump this one.

My father died when I was 15 years old. Even after my parents divorce, we were as close as close can be. He died suddenly and I was not prepared for it all. I couldn't even cry or get emotional. I completely shut down and went on a wild downward spiral and could never get grips on what happend.

It took years for me to even go to the grave site. I got rid of all pictures and anything that reminded me of him. In 2000 when Binaural came out it had been 18 years since his death. As usual when going through a new PJ album, I first listen to the music vs the lyrics. As I go through each subsequent listen the lyrics will start to hit me. When I got to examine Light Years something amazing happend. After all this time I finally cried! and cried and cried! Finally a song which truly expressed the loss I had and the feelings of change from him not being there. I didn't realize how much I had pent up and it was truly cathartic.

I can only hope to be as good a father as mine was (I have 3 amazing kids) and hope that I aspire to be a person like my father or whoever Eddie was writing about in Light Years.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    acsdataacsdata Posts: 40
    I personally don't agree with Ed on a lot of things, but those are his views and I'm free to have mine. He makes the country better by honoring those people that fought and died for him, by taking every moment he has available to say what he wants to say. There are so many places in this world where it's not possible to do that, and I'm afraid we are seeing the time come where we as a country start to see big restrictions on what can and cannot be said. I think he is someone you could sit down and have a facinating conversation with, whether you agree with him or not. He also seems to be someone you could bounce opposing views off of back and forth without it having to become a shouting match. I don't know him personally, but I have a lot of respect for the image he puts out there.

With that said, even though I don't agree with many of his views, I am inspired by his humanity. I mean you can tell it's not something he just does for show, or to sound cool. I can tell you the one thing I've seen over the years that just sticks in my mind, if you go on Youtube and watch the vid from back in '92 where they're playing Black (I think it was in Italy), and he was on the crowd about all the slam dancing because people were getting hurt, you can tell he has an incredible amount of compassion towards other people, and that is something sorely missing in today's society. I don't know, to me that is where he has had an effect on me, and it has definitely been positive.
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    high five! i agree
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    My father died when I was 15 years old. Even after my parents divorce, we were as close as close can be. He died suddenly and I was not prepared for it all. I could even cry or get emotional. I completely shut down and went on a wild downward spiral and could never get grips on what happend.

It took years for me to even go to the grave site. I got rid of all pictures and anything that reminded me of him. In 2000 when Binaural came out it had been 18 years since his death. As usual when going through a new PJ album, I first listen to the music vs the lyrics. As I go through each subsequent listen the lyrics will start to hit me. When I got to examine Light Years something amazing happend. After all this time I finally cried! and cried and cried! Finally a song which truly expressed the loss I had and the feelings of change from him not being there. I didn't realize how much I had pent up and it was truly cathartic.

I can only hope to be as good a father as mine was (I have 3 amazing kids) and hope that I aspire to be a person like my father or whoever Eddie was writing about in Light Years.

Cheers!!!
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,051
    Ed is a Patriot for being brave enough to say how he feels and wear it on his sleeve.
  • Options
    DixieNDixieN Posts: 351
    Eddie has certainly made the world a better place for me. After the deaths of my parents, Pearl Jam's music and their "story" as a band gave me something else to think about and helped provide an avenue for me to heal. I will always be happy there was a Pearl Jam and an Eddie Vedder around. And even long healed, I am still happy they're around making life a little more interesting and keeping it sounding a little better. Thanks Ed and PJ!
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    TiaMija wrote:
    I find something to connect with every time I listen. It varies according to mood and situation.
    I fully support Ed's speaking out. More of us need to follow suit!

AHREED! :)
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    While I love the music I think this thread is as childish/whatever as the other one :)
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    drsluggo wrote:
    While I love the music I think this thread is as childish/whatever as the other one :)

Why is it childish? Don't you agree? Are you not a fan of Ed's words?
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Why is it childish? Don't you agree? Are you not a fan of Ed's words?
    Making a thread to bash another put it on the same level whether you agree or not...
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    drsluggo wrote:

Your comment however is very mature?
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    GOSSArDgEEKGOSSArDgEEK Posts: 245
    He is like a big brother to me, especially in high school. I'd have him in mind while writing down my many thoughts. I used to write letters to him in my journal, and he will never see them.
    Here’s a question you might need to ask
    What’s self destruction and how can we last?

"I cannot stop the thought of running in the dark.
    Coming up a which way sign. All good truants must decide."

McCain, America's scariest grandpa!
  • Options
    bump bump bump for the postive energy Ed brings to my life!
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    drsluggo wrote:
    Making a thread to bash another put it on the same level whether you agree or not...

Sorry... but I hardly think this person is bashing the other by posting this thread.

I think this thread is very interesting and I enjoy reading how Eddie's words have helped others.

Although I find the other thread about him making the world unsafe a little absurd, I can't object to it being posted on this board.
  • Options
    My father died when I was 15 years old. Even after my parents divorce, we were as close as close can be. He died suddenly and I was not prepared for it all. I could even cry or get emotional. I completely shut down and went on a wild downward spiral and could never get grips on what happend.

I bet you are a great dad!
    I had the same type reaction to a completely different situation, the song was actually a version of In My Tree, he never remembers the lyrics so he just started making shit up, and it was if he was talking to me. I posted it with a picture of a palm tree on the picture contest by Lance, if you want to listen to it. It took my breath away, I was crying so hard.
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    INDEED!
    the lyrics to I AM MINE especially :)
    i listen to this almost daily

The selfish, they're all standing in line
    Faithing and hoping to buy themselves time
    Me, I figure as each breath goes by
    I only own my mind

The North is to South what the clock is to time
    There's east and there's west and there's everywhere life
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    The in between is mine
    I am mine

And the feeling, it gets left behind
    All the innocence lost at one time
    Significant, behind the eyes
    There's no need to hide...
    We're safe tonight

The ocean is full 'cause everyone's crying
    The full moon is looking for friends at high tide
    The sorrow grows bigger when the sorrow's denied
    I only know my mind
    I am mine

And the meaning, it gets left behind
    All the innocents lost at one time
    Significant, behind the eyes
    There's no need to hide...
    We're safe tonight

And the feelings that get left behind
    All the innocents broken with lies
    Significance, between the lines
    (We may need to hide)

And the meanings that get left behind
    All the innocents lost at one time
    We're all different behind the eyes
    There's no need to hide
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:

Not looking to bash any thread. I totally beleive you say what you want and write what you want. I just wanted to add some positive vibes to the message board. As you can see the band has done alot and Ed has made the world a better place.

BLACK DIAMOND
    This post was for people like you and every other poster who has had a positive vibe through listening to the music. It's great to hear you got to the point which some people never do and like you said the music help that come out. Just by being able to write that, it makes you a great father! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Rjonesrm20Rjonesrm20 Posts: 380
    I'm proud to be a PJ fan....best fans in the world.

the lyrics/music hepled me a ton in 2003 when my best friend was killed in a car accident the night after me and him went to a PJ show in Lexington KY...that night i got the setlist and it was two pages , so i gave the second page to my friend, on the 3 hour drive home we listened to yield and binaural...just laughing and making comments about songs and shows...he asked me if i wanted the setlist page back and i said," no way man, keep forever. I'll see you tomorrow in school." ( we were in Art college together in cincinnati,oh)...but i never did see him again...and it was a struggle to keep it all together...we had been friends since 4th grade..i have a lot of great memories from that night and the 1st PJ show we too in Indy 98 and Cincy 00....pearl jam was our favourite band and the reason we became fast friends in the fouth grade.... i listen to those bootlegs as much as possible...i feel that i owe that friendship to PJ....thanks pearl jam!

see you on the flipside , Mark 6.21.81-4.23.01 ....rip
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    He is like a big brother to me, especially in high school. I would have him in mind while writing down my many thoughts. Sometimes I would write to him in my journal, and he will never see it.

• Options
    Rjonesrm20 wrote:
    I'm proud to be a PJ fan....best fans in the world.

the lyrics/music hepled me a ton in 2003 when my best friend was killed in a car accident the night after me and him went to a PJ show in Lexington KY...that night i got the setlist and it was two pages , so i gave the second page to my friend, on the 3 hour drive home we listened to yield and binaural...just laughing and making comments about songs and shows...he asked me if i wanted the setlist page back and i said," no way man, keep forever. I'll see you tomorrow in school." ( we were in Art college together in cincinnati,oh)...but i never did see him again...and it was a struggle to keep it all together...we had been friends since 4th grade..i have a lot of great memories from that night and the 1st PJ show we too in Indy 98 and Cincy 00....pearl jam was our favourite band and the reason we became fast friends in the fouth grade.... i listen to those bootlegs as much as possible...i feel that i owe that friendship to PJ....thanks pearl jam!

see you on the flipside , Mark 6.21.81-4.23.01 ....rip

I'm sure hell be waiting at the pearly gates with setlist in hand.

Thanks for sharing! RIP MARK
  • Options
    Vedder316Vedder316 Posts: 205
    They have just helped make me a happier person. My 21 yr old sister had a terrible heart problem a few years ago and spent a great deal of time in intensive care. Doctors didn't give her much chance. She is such a wonderful person to every one she meets. Long Road really made me emotional when I would listen to it. I listened to it after every visit during the long ride home. Helped me a great deal during such a scary uncertain time. She made through everything and is health now. I still tear up when I hear that song sometimes.
    One of my first dates with my wife we went fishing night and just fish all night while talking and listening to PJ. Perfect night. One I will never forget. I could probably fill hundreds of pages with good times PJ has contributed to but I think I have filled up enough space with my other thread I started.(yea I started the "more dangerous thread" I didn't mean for the other thread to be taken so negative. The title of that other thread was a poor choice of words that I wish I could take back. Thank you for the good topic. Take care.
    Many many wonderful shows, since day one.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    Cupofjoe wrote:
    Not looking to bash any thread. I totally beleive you say what you want and write what you want. I just wanted to add some positive vibes to the message board. As you can see the band has done alot and Ed has made the world a better place.

"Lets put and end to that negative bullshi# Marine thread"

That's bashing the other thread... and while many find the other absurd, I also find it absurd to make a directly opposite "Eddie's lyrics have helped the US" thread. Don't get me wrong - they help a lot of individual people, but the spirit of this thread was bashing another thread - two negatives to make a positive, I guess...
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    he has certainly made the world a better place for me!!!

who among us could have survived teenage years with out him?
  • Options
    CityMouse wrote:
    he has certainly made the world a better place for me!!!

who among us could have survived teenage years with out him?
    It was also Stone for me...read an interview with him in the 1995 Musician magazine, he gave me hope. Stone can push me, pull me any day, I'd trust him. Okay now I'm just speaking crazy....um Mary!?

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    so gay.......
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    drsluggo wrote:
    "Lets put and end to that negative bullshi# Marine thread"

That's bashing the other thread... and while many find the other absurd, I also find it absurd to make a directly opposite "Eddie's lyrics have helped the US" thread. Don't get me wrong - they help a lot of individual people, but the spirit of this thread was bashing another thread - two negatives to make a positive, I guess...

Would you PLEASE just stop. Even Vedder316, has posted regarding "the other thread", it's over, let it go! ;)
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    Music is a positive thing. Debate is positive. Eddie has influence both positively. I don't agree with Eddie on alot of shit. But he is a positive force in this world.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    irieinindy wrote:
    Would you PLEASE just stop. Even Vedder316, has posted regarding "the other thread", it's over, let it go! ;)
    On a positive note... I know my point is accurate when all of the bashers of the other thread can't back it up ;)