Options

My Dad passed away.

Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
edited September 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
On 22nd August 2009 my Dad had a massive heart attack, he passed away on the 25th August in hospital.

My Dad had gone to the pub on his bike (like he always did) to wait for my Mum to meet him there. He had a pint of 'Fallen Angel' ale in his hand, he knew nothing and he was happy. My Dad was only 55 years old and he's left my Mum, my older brother, myself and my twin brother.

I'm absolutely devastated to say the least. My Dad was my hero, the apple of my eye and one of the best friends i've ever had. My relationship with him was perfect. He made me who I am, introduced me to many of my hobbies and passions and taught me so many lessons in life. Many people here know how much I love my Dad and how he played such a big part in my life. He is responsible for my love of music, cycling, nature and gardening, comedy, film... the list really is endless.
Before my Dad passed he was in an induced coma in an attempt to help him recover, he was able to hear all I had to say to him... I didn't stop talking. I told him how much I loved him, played him his favourite songs and even read him the cricket results in a bid help him regain consciousness. It wasn't to be. I know how lucky I was to be able to say goodbye to my Dad and to find peace. I have also found comfort in my Dad's selfless act of becoming an organ donor. His death has enabled someone else's Dad, brother, Mum or sister to live on and make more memories, even though we can't.

Words can't express how much I love and miss him already. He really was the most incredible, talented, intelligent and kind hearted man i've ever met. I was so lucky to have 25 happy, full and memorable years with him.

The funeral is on Thursday and it will be the hardest day of my life so far... but I will make my Dad proud. Everyday I will make my Dad proud.

Thank you to everyone who has expressed love, thoughts and prayers to myself, Dave and my family. I can't thank you all enough.

It's taken a lot of heartache to write this but please, take care of your parents... They may not be here tomorrow.
Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    edited August 2009
    I am so very sorry for your loss.

God bless
    Post edited by patrickredeyes on
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i'm so sorry sian...you and your family are in my thoughts
  • Options
    milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    No words, man.
    Just try to hang in there.
    So sorry for your loss.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    :(

thoughts are with you and your family

hugs
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Sian,

I am very sorry for the loss of your father.

Michael
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    really, really nice glowing words there.

Very sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Sian--
    so sorry to hear about your Dad's passing. i know it's hard....if you need anything, just let me/us know. we're all here if you want to laugh, vent, cry..anything. my sincerest thoughts & prayers go to you & your family.--Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    very sorry to hear..
    <3
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,926
    Sian,

Words cannot express the grief that I felt for you and your family when I first heard what had happened. You have been in my thoughts for the past week. I have been sending, and will continue to send, good vibes and healing thoughts your way. I am devastated for you. ((((Hugs)))) to you and your family. Stay strong my friend and know that there are people all around the world who are thinking of you.

Peace always,

Selena
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,938
    Sorry bro, my Dad passed away sometime ago and i know how it feels.

I'm very sorry for your lost and i understand your pain.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    I'm so so sorry. I hope you and your family all the best. My thoughts are with you in such a difficult time.

I'll heed your advice and enjoy every precious moment I have with my loved ones.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    So sorry to hear that....All the best to you my friend
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Just from reading your post here, I can tell he must be very, very proud of you.
    My condolences. He sounds like a lovely man.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    condolences on your heartbreaking loss.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    Sian, I'm so sorry. :(

If you need to talk about anything, or just need some distraction, you know where to find me, yeah? *hugs*

Love to you and your family.

Al
    x
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    So sorry for you and your family.
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    Your Dad sounds like an amazing man...I'm sure you made him proud
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,231
    WOW :cry: I'm really sorry you have to go through this....my condolences to you and your family. I also lost my Dad at 55 (Dec 16th 2007) and he was everything to me. I miss him everyday, doesnt matter if your goin through tough times or good times, you want them there no matter what. Positive vibes coming your way

Take care Sian
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Sorry to hear Sian.

Remember the good times
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Be well.
    Be Sound...
  • Options
    phillyfanphillyfan Posts: 831
    Im sorry,stay strong.
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • Options
    IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    Sorry to hear your loss Sian. My thoughts are with you and your family.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Sorry Sian :cry:

May your father Rest in Peace.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    So sorry.
    Once you hold the hand of love, it's all surmountable--LBC
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    All I can say is that I am so sorry. I am glad you got the chance to say all of the things you needed and wanted to...he heard you. :)
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    hinxhinx Posts: 414
    I am incredibly sorry for your loss. I know from experience that nothing can make you feel better, but sometimes it helps to know you have a bunch of people thinking of you. And we are.

Take care of yourself.
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i am so very sorry. my deepest condolences to you and your family.
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    I lost my Dad to a heart attack as well when I was 17. My deepest condolences...I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    So very sorry to hear about your loss. I've been through it and it's tough. But your post made me happy also. It's just awesome when you love someone that much and were able to appreciate each other and have great memories. You'll have those great memories always. :)
    Big hug your way!
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I am very sorry to hear this. I can only imagine the pain you are feeling from this loss. I too have a close relationship with my father and know that the day he passes will take a piece of me. Just cherish all the memories you have of him and take solace in the fact that you know he loved you. Again, I am very sorry for this loss your family is experiencing.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"