What's your most valuable baseball card in your collection?

13»

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I miss the good ol' days of the card shop. I am 33 now, and I remember I used to love browsing the cards at my local card shop. It seems like ebay, the economy, and many other factors have pretty much eliminated the card shops in my town. Back then, I also enjoyed knowing exactly what card was a players official rookie card. I was able to walk into a card shop and know exactly what was Cal Ripken Jr's official 1st year card to own. Or any other player for that matter. Then Upper Deck and others started over producing the market with so many different cards, you really never knew what to get. Before when you wanted to buy a pack of cards you basically had three choices- Topps, Donruss, and Fleer.

After that, you had no idea what to pick. There were base cards, jersey cards, game used, etc. All with a price tag of over 5 bucks a pack. The last time I went into a card shop, that 5 dollar pack was a bargain compared to the 100 dollar box pack that Upper Deck offered- with TEN cards in the box.

I miss not only the shops, but the conventions that used to come around. Whenever there was a card convention near me, they usually brought people in by getting a big (sometimes not so big) name to sign autographs. I got a lot that way: Ted Williams, Joe Dimaggio, Johnny Bench, Yaz, Johnny Vandermeer (!!), Duke Snider, Tom Seaver, Billy Williams, and a bunch more I know I am forgetting.

Then there was the 1989 convention in NYC we travelled to so I could get the 1969 Mets 20th anniversary poster signed by all (but 3) of the members. THAT was badass.

I too am 33.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    imalive wrote:
    Barry Bonds rookie card:

barry_bonds_rookie_card.jpg

f'ing awesome
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    imalive wrote:
    Barry Bonds rookie card:

barry_bonds_rookie_card.jpg

:lol: classic.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i come from a long line of near-hoarders yet i've never found millions of dollars of...anything! :x
    TOLEDO, Ohio (KTLA) -- Karl Kissner was the executor of his aunt's estate when she passed away.

So while he was getting her house in order, he discovered a piece of baseball history.

Underneath an old doll house, and covered in soot, Kissner found 30 baseball cars in mint condition.

And they weren't just any cards -- they were mostly hall of famers like Cy Young, Honus Wagner and Ty Cobb.

Collectors say these cards are so rare, and in such great condition, they could fetch millions at auction.

Kissner says he knew his aunt was a packrat, so he made sure he went through everything carefully.

"You had to open every envelope, open every book," Kissner said. "So knowing that, we went through [her things] very meticulously. Had we gone through in a rampage, we may not have spotted those cards and they would have went in the hopper."

Kissner believes the cards belonged to his grandfather, who was the owner of a meat market and probably used them as promotional handouts many years ago.

This find is considered one of the biggest and most exciting finds in the history of baseball card collecting.
    http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-e ... 6268.story
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    norm wrote:
    i come from a long line of near-hoarders yet i've never found millions of dollars of...anything! :x

maybe you are just not looking hard enough!!! :think:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i cornered the market on Rickey Jordan rookie cards...all the phillies fans will know who iam talking about

he was supposed to be the next star ...i bought like 70 of them ....that turned out well
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    i cornered the market on Rickey Jordan rookie cards...all the phillies fans will know who iam talking about

he was supposed to be the next star ...i bought like 70 of them ....that turned out well

Hah.. I was the same way with Wallly Joyner. :fp:
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,762
    Eddie Murray rookie I believe.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    DS1119 wrote:

Hah.. I was the same way with Wallly Joyner. :fp:

i once wrote a summer book report off the back of a joyner card..... swear to god
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Mantles RC, 2nd and 3rd, although the rc is not in the best shape. Schmidt's RC as well and a bunch of Koufax, Williams, Mays and such. I need to go to my lock box at the bank and make a list.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Mantles RC, 2nd and 3rd, although the rc is not in the best shape. Schmidt's RC as well and a bunch of Koufax, Williams, Mays and such. I need to go to my lock box at the bank and make a list.

Awesome.
    My uncle gave me a book that he had as a kid with tons of old cards scotch taped to the pages. One was this:
    1953bo4.jpg

1953 Mickey Mantle...And it was folded in half! :fp:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Gretzky rookie card. Topps not OPC. If I only knew. :fp:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798
    DS1119 wrote:
    Gretzky rookie card. Topps not OPC. If I only knew. :fp:

that's hockey! ;):lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    Lizard wrote:
    norm wrote:

maybe you are just not looking hard enough!!! :think:

I'm sure you BOTH still have your billy ashley rookie cards :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483

I bought hundreds of Dante Bichette rookie cards......when the Angels traded him to the Brewers, I sold them all to a shop in Milwaukee.

My mom found a storage bin of mine with several opened boxes of 89 fleer baseball cards (the fuckface Ripken year?).....I am assuming I pulled out all the good stuff when i opened the packs, but perhaps there were some late bloomers in the bunch?
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798
    about 15 years ago it would have been Mark McGwire or Roger Clemens rookie cards. Not sure about now, I have a few nice cards but no major rookie cards :( I started collecting in the late 70's-early 2000's.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC