What's your most valuable baseball card in your collection?

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    I have 5 rookie Paytons....
    Rookie Jim Brown
    Rookie Fran Tarkenton
    3rd year Unitas
    1959 Clemente
    Rookie Johnny Bench
    Rookie Tom Seaver

thats just off the top of my head.......

damn. that's a good collection right there.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    Rookie Jim Brown
    Rookie Fran Tarkenton
    3rd year Unitas
    1959 Clemente
    Rookie Johnny Bench
    Rookie Tom Seaver

Not really....

20 years ago it was worth some bank....
    But right now the cards arent worth a fat rats ass.....

BUT!!!!

NOW is a buyers market....
    If you want to have some fun .......with the hope that the card market BOOMS again...

you can get some real nice cards for dirt cheap prices on ebay....DIRT CHEAP PRICES...

and my advice is to stick with the Classics.....

Clemente
    Aaron
    Mays
    Mantle....

Because those will always retain value....

The cards from the 70s-90s??? they arent worth the paper they are printed on....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Rookie Jim Brown
    Rookie Fran Tarkenton
    3rd year Unitas
    1959 Clemente
    Rookie Johnny Bench
    Rookie Tom Seaver

Nice, I have Seaver & Bench rookie cards too

A couple of other favorites:
    Rube Waddell 1909 Piedmont Cigarette card
    Michael Jordan 3rd year card (bought in a pack for $.49 at a flea market many years ago)
    The Billy Ripkin FF card, and one of the fixes (full black bar)

and countless others I seem to have forgoten about. I need to dig them back out and reminisce someday.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    Rookie Jim Brown
    Rookie Fran Tarkenton
    3rd year Unitas
    1959 Clemente
    Rookie Johnny Bench
    Rookie Tom Seaver

Not really....

20 years ago it was worth some bank....
    But right now the cards arent worth a fat rats ass.....

BUT!!!!

NOW is a buyers market....
    If you want to have some fun .......with the hope that the card market BOOMS again...

you can get some real nice cards for dirt cheap prices on ebay....DIRT CHEAP PRICES...

and my advice is to stick with the Classics.....

Clemente
    Aaron
    Mays
    Mantle....

Because those will always retain value....

The cards from the 70s-90s??? they arent worth the paper they are printed on....

I disagree with that, although overall the prices may have declined. Thurman Munson's rookie is still worth some dough as are a few more. I don't know if you can get $100 for a Boggs rookie anymore--perhaps you can, but there are still some gems out there.
  • sennin wrote:
    1961 Sandy Koufax

I also have a few 1987 Ken Griffey Jr. minor league cards (Bellingham Baby M's, and San Bernadino Spirit).....but not sure what they're worth.

Mint condition you could get between $150-$225 for the Koufax.

depends on how badly the dealer needs it.http://portasite.com/?cat=216

• 49leaf-076.jpg

1948-49 Leaf

Found it in a book my Grandfather had. He used the card as a bookmarker. lol :)

That's hysterical, man. If it's in great condition, that might be worth a mint but I'm not too familiar w/Leaf.
  • jimed14 wrote:
    So, ya'll got me interested as I had/have a sizable collection sitting in a closet back in my parent's house.

I was really into it between 1982 - 1987 ... so, I have countless rookie cards off Ripken, Boggs, Gwynn, Sanberg, Clemens Bonds, etc etc.

I did go back and get a ton of the star cards for the 70s and late 60s, even a few Ted Williams manager cards ... ha! (and of course, had to get me all of Jim Rice's cards!)

I also own one football card, a Walter Payton 1976 rookie card ... I think I got it for $4.

Man, the thrill of going to flea markets and seeing people selling baseball cards ... I had such a good time spending my paper route money on cards.

I found this free price guide on line ... http://www.tuffstuff.com/priceguides/ ... granted, I'm not sure if people would actually buy at these prices, but, interesting to look at.

And you can see where the saturation took place, funny how these guys completely destroyed their own business.

you grow up in Boston? Ever go to the Norton flea market in the 80s?
  • Yefa wrote:
    I'm not sure which is the most valuable, but I have these from when I collected cards as a kid.

1933 Goudey - Babe Ruth (1 of a few in the set...my brother had a different one)
    1955 Topps - Roberto Clemente & Sandy Koufax rookie cards
    1960 Topps - Carl Yastrzemski rookie card
    1965 Topps - Steve Carlton rookie card

My brother & I used to go to card shows as kids & sometimes got autographs. I got to meet & get autographs from Ted Williams, Muhammad Ali, and Mickey Mantle. My first autograph was Bob Feller who was signing at a mall.

Um, dude, The Clemente rookie in mint is worth $3,000 and Sandy's rookie in mint is worth $2,000. Much like MFC and his Willie Mays, that's a lot of fucking PJ shows that you could see! :lol: And I'm sure your Babe Ruth is pricey too.

Scroll down:

http://portasite.com/?cat=183
  • arq wrote:
    It was a blast! But I started my collection back on 92 but a coupleof cousins gave me a bunch of extras, I don't remember any jewel, but my favorite card on my collection is one of Carl Ripken jr next to the "iron horse" hall of fame plaque :)

thats cool. you ever hear of the Billy Ripkin error card?

I have the Ripken card...I think its like $5 though to sell :(

I haven't gone through my collection in awhile..what would be the best way to sell this stuff and get fair market ?

PP--you might want to get them appraised through your insurer to see their value. Once you know the value, you can probably sell off on EBAY. Sometimes there are dealers willing to overpay for stuff simply because they want to complete their collections.
  • Yefa wrote:
    I'm not sure which is the most valuable, but I have these from when I collected cards as a kid.

1933 Goudey - Babe Ruth (1 of a few in the set...my brother had a different one)

My brother & I used to go to card shows as kids & sometimes got autographs. I got to meet & get autographs from Ted Williams, Muhammad Ali, and Mickey Mantle. My first autograph was Bob Feller who was signing at a mall.

Um, dude, The Clemente rookie in mint is worth $3,000 and Sandy's rookie in mint is worth $2,000. Much like MFC and his Willie Mays, that's a lot of fucking PJ shows that you could see! :lol: And I'm sure your Babe Ruth is pricey too.

Scroll down:

Its one thing to say the card is worth $3,000.00

Its another thing to actually go to a dealer and get $3,000.00....You will be lucky if someone gives you $500.00

Beckett, and card dealers can say all they want about the value of a certain card. Fact is...

The card is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

And 99% of the card dealers i have ever dealt with, have one thing in common...

They are lying cheating thieving pieces of shit.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I have like 100 Michael Jordan cards, I'm sure it's one of them.
  • Yefa wrote:

Scroll down:

Its one thing to say the card is worth $3,000.00

Its another thing to actually go to a dealer and get $3,000.00....You will be lucky if someone gives you $500.00

Beckett, and card dealers can say all they want about the value of a certain card. Fact is...

The card is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

You are absolutely right that it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it and there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there. I think the price guides are good in the sense that they're written by serious collectors who know their legitimate value and are basically saying, "the common market condition for this card is such and such a dollar figure." It's not some random fan in his basement just putting out a guide on his opinions. Much like art collection deals with ebbs and flows, so do comic books, baseball cards, coins, stamps, etc. I'll bet if he put the Clemente on EBAY and it's in mint condition, he'll get plenty of bids for the book value.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Bonds rookies. :lol:

i have a pippen rookie. i could have bought a jordan rookie (star) for 300 way back when, but when a piece of cardboard is two weeks pay, you kind of have to pass on it.

i have a pistol pete, but its a double print.

i guess those are my highlights. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Great article in the current Sports Illustrated (Marc Buoniconti on the cover) about baseball cards...check it out.

Some of the cards most valuable to me that I own include:
    The 1985 USFL set
    2nd year Topps Gretzky (with the black stuff intact)
    Brett Hull Rookie
    Yzerman Rookie Topps (way overprinted)
    Dan Marino Rookie
    John Elway Rookie
    1964 Pete Rose
    and at least one Thurman Munson card
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • 81 wrote:
    Bonds rookies. :lol:

i have a pippen rookie. i could have bought a jordan rookie (star) for 300 way back when, but when a piece of cardboard is two weeks pay, you kind of have to pass on it.

i have a pistol pete, but its a double print.

i guess those are my highlights. :lol:

are there famous error cards with basketball?
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    rusty_kuntz.jpg
    intodeep wrote:
    1989 upperdeck ken griffy jr rookie card.

Worth like a stick of bubble gum.
    I think I have that one, actually.

I don't have many baseball cards, and haven't looked at them for years.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,816
    edited August 2009
    probably the thurman munson rookie card
  • Get_Right wrote:
    probably the thurmon munson rookie card

i have that too
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I see your Rusty Kuntz and raise you ...

dick.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,816
    Get_Right wrote:
    probably the thurmon munson rookie card

i have that too
    Actually, I just looked up the values and I realized that the 71 is more valuable, so I would say the 71
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    my uncle gave me a book full of old cards from the 50's. The best card in there was a Hank Aaron 2nd year in very good shape. However, he had a 1953 (I think 2nd year) Bowman Mickey Mantle, and it was scotch-taped into a book and it got folded in half somehow! Damn! And he had a Harmon Kilebrew rookie card that was a little off-centered, so he cut the edges off with scissors! it's funny to think how the innocence of a little kid who is a huge fan of the game who just wants his card to look nice and centered can destroy something that potentially could have been worth a lot. oh well, they are still very cool to have. :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Another $0.02 worth of information from SPEEDY.

Unless your cards are in PERFECT condition....And I mean PERFECT CONDITION.....

Your cards value will PLUMMET dramatically....

Mint condition grade 10 Walter Payton may get you $500...

But that same card graded 5-6??? (Still a gorgeous card)

You can buy on ebay for $70-$80...

Yes, I have dealt with some true scum-of-the-earth types in the trading card business.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Another $0.02 worth of information from SPEEDY.

Unless your cards are in PERFECT condition....And I mean PERFECT CONDITION.....

Your cards value will PLUMMET dramatically....

Mint condition grade 10 Walter Payton may get you $500...

But that same card graded 5-6??? (Still a gorgeous card)

You can buy on ebay for $70-$80...

that whole grading system is a sham. A faux industry created by a hobby in trouble needing money.

I would gladly by "grade 8" cards which are perfectly fine, perhaps a rounded corner .... it's like the anal retentive fucks that need ABSOLUTE MINT posters. Are you kidding me?

such bullshit.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    I see your Rusty Kuntz and raise you ...

dick.jpg
    That is a good one too.
    Johnny Dickshot?
    109px-Player_profile_Johnny_Dickshot.jpg
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    I miss the good ol' days of the card shop. I am 33 now, and I remember I used to love browsing the cards at my local card shop. It seems like ebay, the economy, and many other factors have pretty much eliminated the card shops in my town. Back then, I also enjoyed knowing exactly what card was a players official rookie card. I was able to walk into a card shop and know exactly what was Cal Ripken Jr's official 1st year card to own. Or any other player for that matter. Then Upper Deck and others started over producing the market with so many different cards, you really never knew what to get. Before when you wanted to buy a pack of cards you basically had three choices- Topps, Donruss, and Fleer.

After that, you had no idea what to pick. There were base cards, jersey cards, game used, etc. All with a price tag of over 5 bucks a pack. The last time I went into a card shop, that 5 dollar pack was a bargain compared to the 100 dollar box pack that Upper Deck offered- with TEN cards in the box.
    I miss the good ol' days of the card shop. I am 33 now, and I remember I used to love browsing the cards at my local card shop. It seems like ebay, the economy, and many other factors have pretty much eliminated the card shops in my town. Back then, I also enjoyed knowing exactly what card was a players official rookie card. I was able to walk into a card shop and know exactly what was Cal Ripken Jr's official 1st year card to own. Or any other player for that matter. Then Upper Deck and others started over producing the market with so many different cards, you really never knew what to get. Before when you wanted to buy a pack of cards you basically had three choices- Topps, Donruss, and Fleer.

After that, you had no idea what to pick. There were base cards, jersey cards, game used, etc. All with a price tag of over 5 bucks a pack. The last time I went into a card shop, that 5 dollar pack was a bargain compared to the 100 dollar box pack that Upper Deck offered- with TEN cards in the box.
    According to the aforementioned SI article.....the card shops in the U.S. have gone from 5.000 in the early 1990s to around 500 now...some other crazy numbers....Jeter had eight different rookie cards.....Pujols had 43 different rookie cards.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    Barry Bonds rookie card:

barry_bonds_rookie_card.jpg
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12