What's your most valuable baseball card in your collection?

YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Posts: 4,641
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I just busted out my collection from when I was a kid. My 9-year-old nephew is into collecting so I figured I'd hook him up with something nice for his birthday to get his collection going. Not that I'll part with some of my gems, like Reggie Jackson's rookie card, but I have some from the mid-80s that he'd appreciate. But I was going through my collection and found a couple of old Roberto "Bob" Clemente cards from the 60s. Sweet! Does anyone have any gems, like a Mickey Mantle rookie or perhaps some error cards? Oh, how much fun card-collecting was when I was younger.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• arqarq Posts: 8,003
    It was a blast! But I started my collection back on 92 but a coupleof cousins gave me a bunch of extras, I don't remember any jewel, but my favorite card on my collection is one of Carl Ripken jr next to the "iron horse" hall of fame plaque :)
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • arq wrote:
    It was a blast! But I started my collection back on 92 but a coupleof cousins gave me a bunch of extras, I don't remember any jewel, but my favorite card on my collection is one of Carl Ripken jr next to the "iron horse" hall of fame plaque :)

thats cool. you ever hear of the Billy Ripkin error card?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    mm10a.jpg
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    arq wrote:

i used to have that!!! then my brother sold it at a card show to buy himself a new stereo. :x

i still have most of my cards & plan on passing them down to my kids when we have them. i've already given a few to my nephews. our uncle gave me his collection b/c he only had daughters & they didn't want them. i think my most valuable (pricewise) is a 1953 Willie Mays. i have no clue how much it's worth, though.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • arq wrote:

I think I have a couple of the blacked out ones... it's been YEARS since I've looked through my cards.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    arq wrote:

i used to have that!!! then my brother sold it at a card show to buy himself a new stereo. :x

i still have most of my cards & plan on passing them down to my kids when we have them. i've already given a few to my nephews. our uncle gave me his collection b/c he only had daughters & they didn't want them. i think my most valuable (pricewise) is a 1953 Willie Mays. i have no clue how much it's worth, though.

dude--a 1953 Topps Willie Mays in mint condition is worth $4,000. That's a lot of PJ shows you could see! :lol:

http://portasite.com/?cat=181 scroll down to number 244

dude--a 1953 Topps Willie Mays in mint condition is worth $4,000. That's a lot of PJ shows you could see! :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    holy crap!! i didn't ever care about the value of my cards & to be honest...i haven't looked through my uncles cards (or mine for that matter) in a long time. i do have the Mays in a protective case. holy shit!! maybe i'll hang onto that one & use it to pay for our kids' college fund!! damn! thanks for the info!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    holy crap!! i didn't ever care about the value of my cards & to be honest...i haven't looked through my uncles cards (or mine for that matter) in a long time. i do have the Mays in a protective case. holy shit!! maybe i'll hang onto that one & use it to pay for our kids' college fund!! damn! thanks for the info!

make sure its Topps and in mint condition. Is it the number 244?
    yup..it's Topps. it's either Mint or Near Mint. i'll have to pick it up & look at it to see how "Mint" it is next time we're in Houston. pretty much all of my cards are @ my in-laws house b/c our house isn't that big & our only storage is in the attic. i didn't want to put my cards in the attic. ;)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I always wanted the 1990 Topps Frank Thomas RC no name.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    arq wrote:

I have the Ripken card...I think its like $5 though to sell :(

I haven't gone through my collection in awhile..what would be the best way to sell this stuff and get fair market ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    arq wrote:

I remember that one, it was a legend for me and my friends!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    i love the "Mistake" cards.

my all time favorite mistake card is the one where Cecil Fielder is giving Sparky Anderson a blow job.

I think it was Topps.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Tom Seaver rookie card :)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    1989 upperdeck ken griffy jr rookie card.

Worth like a stick of bubble gum.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • FrankBauerFrankBauer Posts: 452
    ahh...memories...

like the rest of you, i havent seen or touched my old cards in years. i didn't have a stellar baseball card collection, i think my most valuable card at the time was a roger clemens rookie card (which probably has plummeted in value since).

my favorite was the michael jordan baseball card from upper deck. sweet :D

MJ91UD.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Thinking back I have a Barry Bonds rookie card...I might use that to give me the motorcycle sound on my bike :roll:

My most expensive card is probably a Steve Yzerman Rookie card...no clue what its worth though
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,191
    3109929023_7756ac4e1c.jpg

i was a huge bo jackson fan, had every one of his baseball and football cards. then he broke/dislocated his hip, it was devastating personally and financially. it was my first lesson in "not putting your eggs in one basket".
    I was a fan of darryl strawberry... :roll:
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    1961 Sandy Koufax

I also have a few 1987 Ken Griffey Jr. minor league cards (Bellingham Baby M's, and San Bernadino Spirit).....but not sure what they're worth.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    i was a huge bo jackson fan, had every one of his baseball and football cards. then he broke/dislocated his hip, it was devastating personally and financially. it was my first lesson in "not putting your eggs in one basket".

I used to have a ton of those Ripken cards! Sold them all :p

Do you have any of the Nolan know's Bo cards?
  • 49leaf-076.jpg

1948-49 Leaf

Found it in a book my Grandfather had. He used the card as a bookmarker. lol :)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    edited August 2009
    3109929023_7756ac4e1c.jpg

There were a few Bo cards that I always thought were cool. The brand was Score and there were a couple....black and white with Bo rockin his signature shoulder pads and a bat.

On a related note.... I was a huge Bo fan and I have a rich uncle in Kansas City that gotta go Harley ridin with him one night, at the height of Bo Knows. My uncle and his 2 sons were fuelling up and him and his posse just pulled up. My cousin later babysat his kids.

Went out there later, when my uncle was literally neighbors with Joe Mon-FUCKIN tana. He took us all around his neighborhood and showed us all the ball players houses. Joe Carter had a house there, George Brett, Derek Thomas, can't really remember the names of many..... That's when I realized how outrageously rich my uncle was.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    In case you all missed it, Billy Ripken came clean about the whole Fuck Face on the bat story late last year ...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/28116692

warning, it's a truly underwhelming story ... but, it wasn't a prank by his teammates.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    So, ya'll got me interested as I had/have a sizable collection sitting in a closet back in my parent's house.

I was really into it between 1982 - 1987 ... so, I have countless rookie cards off Ripken, Boggs, Gwynn, Sanberg, Clemens Bonds, etc etc.

I did go back and get a ton of the star cards for the 70s and late 60s, even a few Ted Williams manager cards ... ha! (and of course, had to get me all of Jim Rice's cards!)

I also own one football card, a Walter Payton 1976 rookie card ... I think I got it for $4.

Man, the thrill of going to flea markets and seeing people selling baseball cards ... I had such a good time spending my paper route money on cards.

I found this free price guide on line ... http://www.tuffstuff.com/priceguides/ ... granted, I'm not sure if people would actually buy at these prices, but, interesting to look at.

And you can see where the saturation took place, funny how these guys completely destroyed their own business.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I'm not sure which is the most valuable, but I have these from when I collected cards as a kid.

1933 Goudey - Babe Ruth (1 of a few in the set...my brother had a different one)
    1955 Topps - Roberto Clemente & Sandy Koufax rookie cards
    1960 Topps - Carl Yastrzemski rookie card
    1965 Topps - Steve Carlton rookie card

My brother & I used to go to card shows as kids & sometimes got autographs. I got to meet & get autographs from Ted Williams, Muhammad Ali, and Mickey Mantle. My first autograph was Bob Feller who was signing at a mall.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    jimed14 wrote:

I was really into it between 1982 - 1987 ... so, I have countless rookie cards off Ripken, Boggs, Gwynn, Sanberg, Clemens Bonds, etc etc.

most of my cards are from 81-84...a long time ago i went through them and picked out the most valuable but i don't remember what i have...i do have a mark mcgwire rookie card which in 98 i think was worth 300-500 dollars...now maybe 2 bucks :x :D
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    Not so much "valuable" these days but,

1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. Still one of my favorite players EVER. Like others in here, I grew up collecting during the time when guys like Canseco, Mattingly, McGwire, Strawberry, etc were All-Stars of the game. Stocked up on a few of the mentioned players and watched their cards sky-rocket, and then plummet right before my eyes
    ...and then plummet right before my eyes

Couldn't be more true!
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• I have 5 rookie Paytons....
    Rookie Jim Brown
    Rookie Fran Tarkenton
    3rd year Unitas
    1959 Clemente
    Rookie Johnny Bench
    Rookie Tom Seaver

thats just off the top of my head.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....