Options

**The Official Tour The Southern United States Thread**

Comments

• Options
    Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    LukinFan wrote:
    I just got into the Avett Brothers a few months ago. Stoked about seeing them at Midtown

You will not be disappointed. They are incredible live. One of the most entertaining/talented bands touring right now. That's awesome that you have them and PJ on the same bill.

By the way, Emotionalism and I & Love & You are two of the best records made in the past few years. I love their entire catalog, but those two are amazing albums.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • Options
    Play the south.

Go Spurs!
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,590
    Texas
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,648
    Since all of these rumored shows are looking more and more like a load of shit, here's just a handful of bands that don't suck and are playing Houston in the coming months:

The Avett Brothers
    The Toadies
    The Beach Boys
    Jimmy Buffett
    The Head & the Heart
    The English Beat
    Candlebox
    Van Halen
    Coldplay
    Joe Cocker
    Chicago
    Aerosmith
    Cheap Trick
    Kiss
    Motley Crue
    Crosby, Stills, & Nash
    Iron Maiden
    Incubus
    Journey
    Def Leppard
    Poison
    Gaslight Anthem
    Citizen Cope
    The Pyschedelic Furs
    M83
    The Shins
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Eddie Vedder
    Glen Hansard

Funny, you missed a bunch of good shows in Houston I actually have tickets to in the next few months:

Collective Soul
    Bouncing Souls
    Rise Against w/NOFX

and most importantly:
    Rush!!!!

(also have tickets for RHCP, Beach Boys, Coldplay and EV...)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    LukinFan wrote:
    I just got into the Avett Brothers a few months ago. Stoked about seeing them at Midtown

You will not be disappointed. They are incredible live. One of the most entertaining/talented bands touring right now. That's awesome that you have them and PJ on the same bill.

By the way, Emotionalism and I & Love & You are two of the best records made in the past few years. I love their entire catalog, but those two are amazing albums.
    Honestly, I have never even listened to any of their studio albums - I've only heard Live, Vols 2 and 3. Live, Vol 3 is my favorite. I'll have to check out some of their other albums before Sept
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Texas
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

Honestly, I have never even listened to any of their studio albums - I've only heard Live, Vols 2 and 3. Live, Vol 3 is my favorite. I'll have to check out some of their other albums before Sept

They are in their element live, so the live albums are a great way to get into them. They have a pretty deep catalog though, so I'd check out the studio stuff too.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

• Options
    shep wrote:
    Since all of these rumored shows are looking more and more like a load of shit, here's just a handful of bands that don't suck and are playing Houston in the coming months:

The Avett Brothers
    The Toadies
    The Beach Boys
    Jimmy Buffett
    The Head & the Heart
    The English Beat
    Candlebox
    Van Halen
    Coldplay
    Joe Cocker
    Chicago
    Aerosmith
    Cheap Trick
    Kiss
    Motley Crue
    Crosby, Stills, & Nash
    Iron Maiden
    Incubus
    Journey
    Def Leppard
    Poison
    Gaslight Anthem
    Citizen Cope
    The Pyschedelic Furs
    M83
    The Shins
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Eddie Vedder
    Glen Hansard

Funny, you missed a bunch of good shows in Houston I actually have tickets to in the next few months:

Collective Soul
    Bouncing Souls
    Rise Against w/NOFX

and most importantly:
    Rush!!!!

(also have tickets for RHCP, Beach Boys, Coldplay and EV...)

Yeah I know I missed a lot. Just wanted to throw out some names of good acts coming to town - you know, of bands that actually care about places other than Boston, NY, Philly, Chicago, and LA. I hate to say it, but I'm slowly getting over the PJ tour stuff. If they come play here (which I really hope they will again), then I'll be there for sure. They'll always be my favorite band. But if they don't, then I've seen 13 shows and had a ton of fun with it, and I guess that will have to be it. I won't travel anymore to see them and I'm losing the ability to care about it honestly.

• Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    LukinFan wrote:

The Avett Brothers
    The Toadies
    The Beach Boys
    Jimmy Buffett
    The Head & the Heart
    The English Beat
    Candlebox
    Van Halen
    Coldplay
    Joe Cocker
    Chicago
    Aerosmith
    Cheap Trick
    Kiss
    Motley Crue
    Crosby, Stills, & Nash
    Iron Maiden
    Incubus
    Journey
    Def Leppard
    Poison
    Gaslight Anthem
    Citizen Cope
    The Pyschedelic Furs
    M83
    The Shins
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Eddie Vedder
    Glen Hansard
    Great list! I would check out (if I lived in Houston):

The Avett Brothers
    The Toadies
    Jimmy Buffett
    Candlebox
    Incubus
    Def Leppard
    Poison
    Citizen Cope
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Eddie Vedder
    Glen Hansard

Seeing as how I could be moving to Texas next year, your list is exciting, Zack.

Rog, you left off The Shins and The Head & the Heart.

Avetts will be fantastic in Atlanta. My first TAB show was in ATL at Chastain w/ Brandi Carlile opening. Also, my sister and nephew met them in April; said they're fantastic guys and really took an interest in my 11 y/o nephew. I like them all the more for that.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

The Avett Brothers
    The Toadies
    The Beach Boys
    Jimmy Buffett
    The Head & the Heart
    The English Beat
    Candlebox
    Van Halen
    Coldplay
    Joe Cocker
    Chicago
    Aerosmith
    Cheap Trick
    Kiss
    Motley Crue
    Crosby, Stills, & Nash
    Iron Maiden
    Incubus
    Journey
    Def Leppard
    Poison
    Gaslight Anthem
    Citizen Cope
    The Pyschedelic Furs
    M83
    The Shins
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Eddie Vedder
    Glen Hansard
    Great list! I would check out (if I lived in Houston):

The Avett Brothers
    The Toadies
    Jimmy Buffett
    Candlebox
    Incubus
    Def Leppard
    Poison
    Citizen Cope
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Eddie Vedder
    Glen Hansard

Seeing as how I could be moving to Texas next year, your list is exciting, Zack.

Avetts will be fantastic in Atlanta. My first TAB show was in ATL at Chastain w/ Brandi Carlile opening. Also, my sister and nephew met them in April; said they're fantastic guys and really took an interest in my 11 y/o nephew. I like them all the more for that.

Where in TX could you be moving? Houston has its flaws, but being a big market, we constantly get good musicians coming through (except for Pearl Jam :roll: ). The Avett Brothers with Brandi Carlile must have been awesome. A good friend of mine turned me onto her and she is really, really talented. And I've heard many stories similar to your sister's - the Avetts are apparently very approachable and very accommodating with their fans. Such a great band. Can't wait until Saturday night's show in Dallas.

• Options
    rhinomagic wrote:

Where in TX could you be moving? Houston has its flaws, but being a big market, we constantly get good musicians coming through (except for Pearl Jam :roll: ). The Avett Brothers with Brandi Carlile must have been awesome. A good friend of mine turned me onto her and she is really, really talented. And I've heard many stories similar to your sister's - the Avetts are apparently very approachable and very accommodating with their fans. Such a great band. Can't wait until Saturday night's show in Dallas.

I have no idea regarding a city in Texas. The company is making a big expansion push into TX (and AZ & CA, i believe). Will know more before the end of the year, I would think.

If I was to just name my choice cities/areas: Austin, Dallas, Houston.

This would be a migratory stay in TX, as I intend to push further westward to Portland, Seattle, Denver, or San Francisco, as the company continues.

Originally, TAB were supposed to go to my sister's house for a barbecue, but local promoter & band management got their wires crossed. The band more than made up for it by hanging w/ sis & nephew backstage, but, yeah, by all accounts great guys & very humble/grounded.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I have no idea regarding a city in Texas. The company is making a big expansion push into TX (and AZ & CA, i believe). Will know more before the end of the year, I would think.

This would be a migratory stay in TX, as I intend to push further westward to Portland, Seattle, Denver, or San Francisco, as the company continues.

Originally, TAB were supposed to go to my sister's house for a barbecue, but local promoter & band management got their wires crossed. The band more than made up for it by hanging w/ sis & nephew backstage, but, yeah, by all accounts great guys & very humble/grounded.

Austin is a great city - great live music scene and tons of stuff to do outdoors. Great food, great bars. I like Dallas a lot too. I live in Houston (well, Katy actually - just outside of town, which is the way to go around here). Houston is ok - it's just so big and spread out and the air quality sucks because of all the refineries. But there's plenty to do and some good concerts come through town year round. Houston and Dallas are relatively inexpensive places to live. Cost of living in Austin is on the rise because so many people are going there. Anyway, good luck with the future moves.

• Options
    rhinomagic wrote:

Austin is a great city - great live music scene and tons of stuff to do outdoors. Great food, great bars. I like Dallas a lot too. I live in Houston (well, Katy actually - just outside of town, which is the way to go around here). Houston is ok - it's just so big and spread out and the air quality sucks because of all the refineries. But there's plenty to do and some good concerts come through town year round. Houston and Dallas are relatively inexpensive places to live. Cost of living in Austin is on the rise because so many people are going there. Anyway, good luck with the future moves.

Thanks for the tips. If I get offered TX, I'll be pretty excited.

Your legendary barbecue has been whispering my name for years, but I've yet to answer the call.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    TX :!:
  • Options
    its just gishits just gish San Antonio, TX Posts: 880
    rhinomagic wrote:
    rhinomagic wrote:

Thanks for the tips. If I get offered TX, I'll be pretty excited.

Your legendary barbecue has been whispering my name for years, but I've yet to answer the call.

If you come out here, go to the Salt Lick in Driftwood. Amazing.
  • Options

My first thought about BBQ was the Salt Lick. Amazing food.

• Options

Their frozen margaritas are perfection too.
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Please, please play the YUM center in Louisville!!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options

For the record I have wet dreams about Salt Lick... mmmm....

That reminds me,I need to find an excuse to go to austin soon..
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    shep wrote:

Are you going to ACL? I thought about doing Saturday only, but passes sold out so quickly.

• Options

Are you going to ACL? I thought about doing Saturday only, but passes sold out so quickly.

Yea, I bought early birds way back in september last year... never have a problem unloading them for what I pay for them, so I take the risk... Haven't booked a hotel yet though... need to get on that soon... :fp:
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I like Salt Lick but it's trash compared to Franklin. There's a reason people wait in line for up to 3 hours for it.

http://franklinbarbecue.com/

Best BBQ in America: http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/slid ... rica#intro
    Post edited by ComeToTX on
  • Options
    Just got a pair of tickets to Def Leppard & Poison for Sept. 1st at the Woodlands. The wife will be VERY happy about this.

LiveNation presale started at 10 AM central if anyone is interested. Password is PAVILION for Houston. Not sure about other cities.

• Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    shep wrote:

Salt Lick is delicious..I'm also a fan of County Line by the lake and the one on the hill near Austin.

What do you all think is the best BBQ in Lockhart and the surrounding area? I'm driving down south in a few weeks and will plan to stop at one on the way. 8-)
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Check two posts up on what I said about Franklin. Best ribs and brisket I've ever had. Kruetz in Lockhart is great. Smitty's is like going back in time and Blacks is my personal favorite out there.

If Franklin is too much of a wait I would do J. Mueller's food trailer off South 1st in Austin.

If you're out in the hill country then Opies in Spicewood and especially Coopers in Llano are very good.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    I like Salt Lick but it's trash compared to Franklin. There's a reason people wait in line for up to 3 hours for it.

http://franklinbarbecue.com/

Best BBQ in America: http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/slid ... rica#intro

Hmmm... We will be in Austin for tournament next weekend, will give it a try.

Play the south.

Go Spurs!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    the...................south
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    the...................south
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Some Tampa sky yesterday-->

cropped.jpg
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&